Zach Parise AND Ryan Suter (13 years, $7.5M Cap Hit) II

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Greatwhitenorth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
:You know, even though, you insulted me and other Devils fans with your "and all 6 of them comment" which I already responded to in private, no your not a troll...you're simply misinformed.
I'm not misinformed. I look at a lot more than one dimension before I determine what makes a hockey player good or great.

He was your captain, which suggests intangibles that 17 might be lacking. And, to be clear, I'm not a Kovalchuk hater. I like his offence and I think he played this post-season hurt, which would fly in the face of the common Russian player narrative that circulates out there.

I get that the Parise bolted and your pissed. However to minimize his ability etc. is somewhat disingenuous. To quote numbers, I don't think there are five GM's who'd take Kovalchuk for each one who'd take Parise.

As for the "all six of them" comment; the English call it "taking the piss". You know, I lob something your way, you lob something my way, and in the end it's all good because we're fans. Fans of different teams, but fans.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffz View Post
Thank you, I came here to post legitimate questions and it turned into a huge arguement about parise and kovy. They are two complete players. One is a elite sniper while one is not its not a arguement. Kovy accomplished more in his short playing time then parise has. Kovy has been more clutch leading the devils during the season and playoffs. I love parise but this is kovys team. Anyway like I said I came here in peace for a few questions and Im getting flamed. Its kind of pathetic i honestly thought u guys were better then this. Your dissing the devils fanbase and attendence. I can understand if I came here trolling but I didn't. You guys talk like you have the best player of all time and that your a force to be reckoned with. I hate to burst your guys bubble and bring you back down to planet earth but you guys are not winning a cup anytime soon. Two big signings does not make you a stanley cup threat. It takes much more then 2 players and you guys need multiple pieces to even go far in the playoffs. I still have you guys missibg the playoffs this year and if you do make it your getting bounced first round. Yes these signing make you better but a playoff team you are not. You guys can't count your chickens before they hatch. If you guys make the playoffs I will post here and eat crow. Yes you guys have good prospects but they have to prove yourself. Do I think your a good team yes but you need more pieces to the puzzle. I give you guys a few years to become a threat but honestly zachyboy is only good for 6 years 7 tops. You will see. I am a huge parise fan but i was woried the devils would sign him for long term cause. Ask any devils fan before he signed with the wild many devil fans were concerned with a long term deal and would rather him walk then sign him sign long term and for alot of money. He simply is not a player thar will last long and I had a ***** for the guy no homo. Im sorry about this post to the decent wild fans but I came here in peace with legit questions and got flamed and trolled. Its pathetic you guys are in no position to troll as you guys are bottom feeders and won squat. Sorry again to the decent wild fans.
He has? What exactly are those accomplishments?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:42 AM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I dont think ANYONE is saying that. I was just replying to the two posters that (mindbogglingly) somehow claimed Parise is better hockey player than Kovalchuk.

Also, keep in mind many of us serious Devils fans aren't mad that Parise left given the contract it took, I'd be pizzed if Lou matched that (and it sounds like he might have minus all the millions of front-loaded money). People became mad because of the particulars involved and the way it went down versus what everyone was led to believe.
What do you feel is a fair contract for a player of Parises caliber in free agency? Do you feel that the other teams in the running offered less?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
But Parise told his parents on the morning of July 4th that signing with the Wild was a "strong possibility." If he was certain that he was signing here before flying home, why didn't he tell them that morning that it would be a done deal in a matter of hours?
Did you not see the tweet in the post I was responding to? J.P. said he knew on the 2nd that Zach chose the Wild according to it...

Old
07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffz View Post
Thank you, I came here to post legitimate questions and it turned into a huge arguement about parise and kovy. They are two complete players. One is a elite sniper while one is not its not a arguement. Kovy accomplished more in his short playing time then parise has. Kovy has been more clutch leading the devils during the season and playoffs. I love parise but this is kovys team. Anyway like I said I came here in peace for a few questions and Im getting flamed. Its kind of pathetic i honestly thought u guys were better then this. Your dissing the devils fanbase and attendence. I can understand if I came here trolling but I didn't. You guys talk like you have the best player of all time and that your a force to be reckoned with. I hate to burst your guys bubble and bring you back down to planet earth but you guys are not winning a cup anytime soon. Two big signings does not make you a stanley cup threat. It takes much more then 2 players and you guys need multiple pieces to even go far in the playoffs. I still have you guys missibg the playoffs this year and if you do make it your getting bounced first round. Yes these signing make you better but a playoff team you are not. You guys can't count your chickens before they hatch. If you guys make the playoffs I will post here and eat crow. Yes you guys have good prospects but they have to prove yourself. Do I think your a good team yes but you need more pieces to the puzzle. I give you guys a few years to become a threat but honestly zachyboy is only good for 6 years 7 tops. You will see. I am a huge parise fan but i was woried the devils would sign him for long term cause. Ask any devils fan before he signed with the wild many devil fans were concerned with a long term deal and would rather him walk then sign him sign long term and for alot of money. He simply is not a player thar will last long and I had a ***** for the guy no homo. Im sorry about this post to the decent wild fans but I came here in peace with legit questions and got flamed and trolled. Its pathetic you guys are in no position to troll as you guys are bottom feeders and won squat. Sorry again to the decent wild fans.
Do... not... have... patience... to... read... wall... of... text...

Old
07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
case in point, instead of loling it off, you went with whatever. option #2 is strong with this one. thanks for proving my point
You didn't say anything, you just responded with a stupid post which the whole basis of, was calling me a troll, when in fact, you are the troll. What should I say to that when your not even acknowledging the question I posed?

Shall I expect another "witty" response, or are you going to grow up?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
J22 and myself did.
Ah so this is all your fault, lol.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Don't you people have other things to do?

I mean, it's Friday night after all..

Old
07-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Don't you people have other things to do?

I mean, it's Friday night after all..
Uh oh. Busted.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:48 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Did you not see the tweet in the post I was responding to? J.P. said he knew on the 2nd that Zach chose the Wild according to it...
But J.P. also told the Star Tribune about what Zach told him Wednesday morning. To be honest, I was a little confused as to why he told his dad that it was a strong possibility on Wednesday morning. He signed that deal that very morning, so wouldn't you say that it was a guarantee?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Greatwhitenorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
Ah so this is all your fault, lol.
Actually, my bad too. I also threw out the "all six of them" zinger.

Who knew?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:58 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm so sorry you guys have to deal with all these Devil's fans.

Congrats on ZP and Suter.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:02 AM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Its hard to blame them though. They took a big hit that it seems most of them were not expecting. I'd be upset too. Thanks for the kind words though.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:04 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
Its hard to blame them though. They took a big hit that it seems most of them were not expecting. I'd be upset too. Thanks for the kind words though.
Didn't you hear? They're all warning us that ZP sucks.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:04 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
What do you feel is a fair contract for a player of Parises caliber in free agency?
A few weeks ago I said I'd offer Parise $6.5M or $7M for 7 years.

If he wanted 8 or 9 years, ratchet it down to $6.25M to $6.75M. If he wants more than that, let him walk.

Quote:
Do you feel that the other teams in the running offered less?
I have no idea.

Given it was stated the Devils "offer was competitive" I imagine it had to be somewhat in the Wild's ballpark.

I think the front-loaded $24M in the first two years is something the Devils couldn't match though, and that that was likely the deciding factor to sign with Minnesota. Due to the time-value-of-money, getting $24M up front essentially makes the entire value of the contract worth many millions more then $98M from a financial standpoint.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Greatwhitenorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Actually, I sense a bit of excitement in being able to take part in the type of stuff that was only able to be watched from afar in the past.

BTW, any chance you want to pass along one of your top four d for a lightly used, extensively concussed forward?

I mean, you had good success with Richards.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:12 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Gonna copy and paste a post that I put on the main board regarding the anger from New Jersey.

I'm not gonna take sides here, but I can understand how it would be frustrating to see a guy leave if he did say (in the past year) that he had no intention of leaving. I haven't looked at any of his quotes from this past season, so it's tough to draw a full conclusion from it. I'm gonna go back to Gabby again, because there were some times (when asked) that he made it sound like he wanted to stay. The thing is, it provided hope that he wasn't going anywhere. It provided hope that he was going to remain loyal to the team that drafted him. But when he turned down that major offer from Riser, it stung pretty bad. Seeing him go sign for a cheaper contract made it worse.

I don't think Parise and Suter created a master plan during this past year. It wasn't some well thought out plot. They talked, and it sounded like they simply thought it'd be cool to get to play together on the same team someday. It didn't become reality until July 1 got close and they saw that a couple of teams could possibly afford them both. The fact that one of those teams was close to home was what really got the ball rolling.

Zach said that if he didn't have the option to go home, he would have stayed in New Jersey. Did he know that Minnesota was an option in the past year when making those comments about how he wanted to stay with the Devils? We don't know. But his comments gave New Jersey fans hope, which meant even more since they were just coming off of an appearance in the finals. And because of that, I can understand how him changing his mind can be rather hurtful right now.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:16 AM
TwInS1095

Quote:
A few weeks ago I said I'd offer Parise $6.5M or $7M for 7 years.

If he wanted 8 or 9 years, ratchet it down to $6.25M to $6.75M. If he wants more than that, let him walk.

I have no idea.

Given it was stated the Devils "offer was competitive" I imagine it had to be somewhat in the Wild's ballpark.

I think the front-loaded $24M in the first two years is something the Devils couldn't match though, and that that was likely the deciding factor to sign with Minnesota. Due to the time-value-of-money, getting $24M up front essentially makes the entire value of the contract worth many millions more then $98M from a financial standpoint.

7.5 million cap hit for Parise is really not unreasonable at all. It's speculated that he actually took a pay-cut to come sign with us. So his market value was at absolute minimum about what we payed him. 20 or so teams including yours inquired with him so if your saying we gave him a bad contract I'm sure every other team would give him the same contract or similiar if they had the chance. N

Old
07-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Well, this thread was fun while it lasted.

I think we're going to need to grow some thicker skin, ladies and gentlemen. A lot of ****'s going to be heading our way this year.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:23 AM
mcduffz

Quote:
Didn't you hear? They're all warning us that ZP sucks.
No one is saying zach sucks. I never once said zack sucks. All I have said is I think he is only good for 6 or 7 years.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:23 AM
J22

vCash: 814
to try and restore some peace around here. I would like to thank New Jersey from the bottom of my heart for taking Zidlicky this past deadline.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:24 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Well, this thread was fun while it lasted.

I think we're going to need to grow some thicker skin, ladies and gentlemen. A lot of ****'s going to be heading our way this year.
I'm totally fine with subjective criticisms, "he's not worth the money blah blah blah."
Its when people make 'objective' remarks like the wild are going to be screwed by the cap that really grinds my gears.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:25 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
7.5 million cap hit for Parise is really not unreasonable at all. It's speculated that he actually took a pay-cut to come sign with us. So his market value was at absolute minimum about what we payed him. 20 or so teams including yours inquired with him so if your saying we gave him a bad contract I'm sure every other team would give him the same contract or similiar if they had the chance. N
You may very well be right, but it's still my perception that Parise is overrated and that it's a bad contract.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:27 AM
mcduffz

Quote:
He has? What exactly are those accomplishments?
Since being here kovy has been the better goal scorer and better player. He lead the team in the playoffs while playing severly injured. Overall at first no one liked the kovy signing but after a season or two with the devils everyone is realizing this is more of kovys team then zachs. Not knocking parises skill but kovy has been the better player between the two and i would rather my team with kovy locked up more then parise. Kovy is on another class of skill, i aint knocking parise but kovy is a elite sniper.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:29 AM
TwInS1095

Quote:
You may very well be right, but it's still my perception that Parise is overrated and that it's a bad contract.

To each and their own I guess. I'm not sure you would be saying that if the roles were reversed...however...your entitled to your opinion. I guess it'll have to be settled on the ice. Even if he was slightly overpayed his contract would still be worth it to the Wild. But...yeah. I'm done.

Closed Thread