Zach Parise AND Ryan Suter (13 years, $7.5M Cap Hit) II

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 03:27 AM
IronRangeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
If i had to describe Mikko in 30 seconds i would just show this.

Mikko is about to have a banner year!

Old
07-12-2012, 03:42 AM
grN1g

probably one of the most exciting games to watch last season, so glad kronwall FINALLY got a taste of his own game.

still think the **** he pulls should be more closely watched, hes gonna seriously injure someone soon enough.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:47 AM
NightSky

I did like the fact that Kronwall was classy about the hit after the game. I can think few players that would've whine about it.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
nickschultzfan

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...nzy-was-freaky

Wow. Typical smuggness from espn. These jokers thing that the Wild shouldn't have signed Parise and Suter, and should have instead just grabbed some middling guy.

All I hear when I read this is "DON'T YOU NO YOUR PLACE FOOLS? YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO SIGN TOP TIER FREE AGENTS. THAT'S FOR THE RANGERS AND THE RED WINGS. AND THE YANKEES. YOU ARE JUST SUPPOSED TO BE WORTHLESS AND JUST RE-SIGN YOUR CRAPPY DRAFT PICKS UNTIL THEY LEAVE AND THEN THEY BECOME OMG THIS GUY IS FREAKING AWESOME ALA GABORIK. NOW YOU ARE GOING TO REGRET THIS DECISION FOREVER. THE NHL IS LAME ANYWAY. DAMN I WISH I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE NBA INSTEAD. THIS ASSIGNMENT SUCKS."

Old
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Wow. Typical smuggness from espn. These jokers thing that the Wild shouldn't have signed Parise and Suter, and should have instead just grabbed some middling guy.

All I hear when I read this is "DON'T YOU NO YOUR PLACE FOOLS? YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO SIGN TOP TIER FREE AGENTS. THAT'S FOR THE RANGERS AND THE RED WINGS. AND THE YANKEES. YOU ARE JUST SUPPOSED TO BE WORTHLESS AND JUST RE-SIGN YOUR CRAPPY DRAFT PICKS UNTIL THEY LEAVE AND THEN THEY BECOME OMG THIS GUY IS FREAKING AWESOME ALA GABORIK. NOW YOU ARE GOING TO REGRET THIS DECISION FOREVER. THE NHL IS LAME ANYWAY. DAMN I WISH I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE NBA INSTEAD. THIS ASSIGNMENT SUCKS."
I've never heard of those three names, probably for very good reasons.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Yeah, typical ESPN. Other than LeBrun and maybe a couple others, there's not a whole lot of hockey knowledge there.

Basic gist of the article: Parise and Suter are stupid for throwing the rest of their careers away in Minnesota.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
forthewild

Quote:

i really hope the wild win the cup next year, man i would love to gather all these guys and just make them eat a plate of stale human ****. if the Wings got these two, there would be endless amount of dick being sucked. someone needs to inform these ****s how HUGE Minnesota is to hockey in the USA.

seriously ESPN i don't do any more, i follow lebrun on twitter and thats it, world wide leader is sucking a major market dick.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Oh god, who are these clowns? Two traditionally cap ceiling teams signed a couple free agents for big dollars and you get:

"Back in the day, it would have been the Rangers or the Maple Leafs signing these guys to bazillion-dollar deals, and everyone would have been crying about how small-market teams couldn’t compete against the big, established teams. This is the equivalent to the Kansas City Royals signing A-Rod for $500 million. Am I right, people? "

No. No you're not right. Any baseball analogy is a stupid and ignorant one because baseball doesn't have a salary cap so you can't make a comparable. The mere fact that you tried to make a baseball analogy makes it pretty obvious you're a clueless tool. Also, none of them have actually played hockey (according to Elite Prospects). Finally:

"Yeah, you are probably right, Paul, about the whole A-Rod comparison, but in reality how many NHL teams can afford to play over the salary cap? According to Capgeek.com, no one was over it last season."

I just...wow.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Yeah, typical ESPN. Other than LeBrun and maybe a couple others, there's not a whole lot of hockey knowledge there.

Basic gist of the article: Parise and Suter are stupid for throwing the rest of their careers away in Minnesota.
If that's the gist of the article you read, I'd say we read two very different ones. The gist of the article was "we don't know anything about hockey but LeBrun is on vacation, Burnside's not answering the phone, and Buccigross just keeps sending us pictures of babies in hockey clothes instead of articles."

Old
07-12-2012, 10:27 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Gawd....I am SO ready for the puck to drop this season.

I guess the only way to shut some of these people up is to go out and win some games, and then a few in the playoffs as well.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:27 AM
SureBabyYes

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
"Yeah, you are probably right, Paul, about the whole A-Rod comparison, but in reality how many NHL teams can afford to play over the salary cap? According to Capgeek.com, no one was over it last season."

Old
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Gawd....I am SO ready for the puck to drop this season.

I guess the only way to shut some of these people up is to go out and win some games, and then a few in the playoffs as well.
Then we get to hear about flukes and how we will regress to the mean eventually.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Oh god, who are these clowns? Two traditionally cap ceiling teams signed a couple free agents for big dollars and you get:

"Back in the day, it would have been the Rangers or the Maple Leafs signing these guys to bazillion-dollar deals, and everyone would have been crying about how small-market teams couldn’t compete against the big, established teams. This is the equivalent to the Kansas City Royals signing A-Rod for $500 million. Am I right, people? "

No. No you're not right. Any baseball analogy is a stupid and ignorant one because baseball doesn't have a salary cap so you can't make a comparable. The mere fact that you tried to make a baseball analogy makes it pretty obvious you're a clueless tool. Also, none of them have actually played hockey (according to Elite Prospects). Finally:

I just...wow.
just a stab...

rangers
bruins
canadiens
leafs
canucks
flames
flyiers
wild
kings
wings
hawks
senators
jets

might be forgetting a few, there is many teams that WANT to spend over the CAP if the CAP wasn't a hard cap.

btw this rant isn't at you but a smart ass remark i want to reply to the article with.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:49 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

It's pretty obvious the guy thinks it's a soft cap with a luxury tax. That's pretty low even for ESPN to print that.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:01 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Then we get to hear about flukes and how we will regress to the mean eventually.
We could win the Cup and people would be talking about how it was all a fluke and we shouldn't even be listed on there with such a brutal fenwick and we're gonna have some serious regressing to do next season to make up for this but at least we'll get a #1 pick out of it.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

As ridiculous as the advanced stats zealots are, we won't likely be hearing much from them next season. With Parise and Granlund up front and Suter and an improved (puck moving) d-corps on the blue line, everyone's pet stats will be dramatically improved. We'll be "allowed" to win games next season according to the nuts.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
As ridiculous as the advanced stats zealots are, we won't likely be hearing much from them next season. With Parise and Granlund up front and Suter and an improved (puck moving) d-corps on the blue line, everyone's pet stats will be dramatically improved. We'll be "allowed" to win games next season according to the nuts.
Nah. They'll cherry-pick stats and manipulate sample sizes until they have an argument. Plus last season most of them showed they don't really understand even basic concepts of probability like Independence of Events, let alone advanced statistics. All that's important is that the stats "prove" Detroit/Pittsburgh/Edmonton won the Stanley Cup of Moral Victories.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Nah. They'll cherry-pick stats and manipulate sample sizes until they have an argument. Plus last season most of them showed they don't really understand even basic concepts of probability like Independence of Events, let alone advanced statistics. All that's important is that the stats "prove" Detroit/Pittsburgh/Edmonton won the Stanley Cup of Moral Victories.
I think you're giving them far too much credit. Outside of a few of them who "know how to calculate PDO" they generally don't actually know how to manipulate the stats. That's why we're not being deluged with "how terrible Parise and Suter are according to advanced stats." Both put up good numbers for relCorsi and PDO. All the zealots know how to do is check behindthenet.ca. If I recall correctly, the only hit piece Desjardins (who runs the site) was able to conjure up was some pathetic babble about the correlation between free agent salary and wins.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
nickschultzfan

It's even more painful when comparisons are drawn to Gomez and Drury. Let's actually use our brains when analyzing this:

Gomez
One-dimensional, playmaking top-6 center. Not 1st line talent. Undersized.
Age 27. Contract to 34.
$51.5 million, 7 years
$7.34 million cap hit
$50.3 million cap
14.6% of the total cap space for the Rangers

Drury
Gritty, two-way, 2nd line center. Undersized
Age 30. Contract to 35.
$35.25 million, 5 years
$7.05 million cap hit
$50.3 million cap
14.0% of the total cap space for the Rangers

Rangers spent 28.6% of their entire cap space on two 2nd line centers.

Parise
Top-5 LW in league.
Age 27. Contract to 40.
$98 million, 13 years
$7.54 million cap hit.
$70.2 million cap
10.7% of the total cap space for the Wild

[USuter[/U]
Top-5 D in league.
Age 27. Contract to 40.
$98 million, 13 years
$7.54 million cap hit.
$70.2 million cap
10.7% of the total cap space for the Wild

Wild spent 21.4% of their entire cap on a 1st line LW and #1 Dman.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

In the slight defense of "those stats zealots," I am curious to see how adding Suter, Parise, Granlund and a healthy Bouchard/Koivu help in terms of shots and possession.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
ckyrckr

ESPN should have their NHL tab forcibly removed by the NHL. Complete disregard for any facts, ever.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyrckr View Post
ESPN should have their NHL tab forcibly removed by the NHL. Complete disregard for any facts, ever.
LeBrun is one of the best (if not the best) writers in the hockey world. Burnside is passable. Buccigross is pretty good. They used to employ Gary Joyce (albeit behind a paywall) as well. The issue is just that once in a while they give their non-hockey people open their mouths. That's always ugly.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I read that article and my reaction was, who are these three bums?

ESPN is a joke to begin with, and if anything doesn't involve a sport they cover or if it's not in a major market they will devote very little time to it.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
LeBrun is one of the best (if not the best) writers in the hockey world. Burnside is passable. Buccigross is pretty good. They used to employ Gary Joyce (albeit behind a paywall) as well. The issue is just that once in a while they give their non-hockey people open their mouths. That's always ugly.
Bucci is good, and his love for MN bumps him up in my book.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Sportserie

It's all about the major markets for ESPN. It makes me sick. We have to hear about the terrible NY Knicks constantly and they have sucked for how long? A major market team has success they highlight it, if a major market team is sucking, they highlight it. No way in hell they wanted Parise coming home, they wanted him staying in major market NJ/NY or going to Pittsburgh since it's the flashy team to go to with the Crosby talk. They wanted Suter in Detroit though they secretly wished Suter was going to the Rangers.

Closed Thread