HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Vanek

Old
07-06-2013, 11:59 AM
HockeyHillbilly

vCash: 500
Thomas Vanek

This is clearly listed as a rumor... but, I made a call back to MN last night to talk with some friends & family about how their 4th was. Long story short a friend of mine who I attended the University of Minnesota with asked me "How does it feel to have the Yotes trying to make a move on Vanek?"

Clearly this was the first I've heard of the situation, but as it was pointed out to me it kind of makes sense for the following reasons...

A) We now have a legit 1st line Center for him.

B) We have the prospects to give up as supposedly that is the route Buffalo wants to go... Prospects/Picks

C) Tippett is a lot like Lindy Ruff.

D) We could use help on the RW

I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything on this. If he is dealt elsewhere I wonder how "In the running" the Yotes truly were. Seems like an odd rumor, agreed, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited by HockeyHillbilly: 07-06-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Boom!
HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Even with owners, I don't see $6.4m being easy to swallow, especially as a one-year rental.

These 4 pieces do anything for you?
Rostislav Klesla (31 yr old D, $3m) or Derek Morris (34, $2.75m)
+ Lauri Korpikoski (24 yr, RFA winger we tendered)
+ Andy Miele (24 yrs, C, 53 and 54 AHL points the last 2 seasons)
+ 2nd rounder

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Even with owners, I don't see $6.4m being easy to swallow, especially as a one-year rental.

These 4 pieces do anything for you?
Rostislav Klesla (31 yr old D, $3m) or Derek Morris (34, $2.75m)
+ Lauri Korpikoski (24 yr, RFA winger we tendered)
+ Andy Miele (24 yrs, C, 53 and 54 AHL points the last 2 seasons)
+ 2nd rounder
As for the pieces of the puzzle I don't know... Outside of we are deep on D prospects & the Sabres could use some help there.

The Yotes could also gain from some merchandise & ticket sales... The Ribeiro/Vanek combo would accomplish both of these.

Agreed the $6.4 is a tough pill to swallow, but who knows what is really going on right now with any discussions outside of front offices, agents & guys out fishing.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:29 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
This is clearly listed as a rumor... but, I made a call back to MN last night to talk with some friends & family about how their 4th was. Long story short a friend of mine who I attended the University of Minnesota with asked me "How does it feel to have the Yotes trying to make a move on Vanek?"

Clearly this was the first I've heard of the situation, but as it was pointed out to me it kind of makes sense for the following reasons...

A) We now have a legit 1st line Center for him.

B) We have the prospects to give up as supposedly that is the route Buffalo wants to go... Prospects/Picks

C) Tippett is a lot like Lindy Ruff.

D) We could use help on the RW

I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything on this. If he is dealt elsewhere I wonder how "In the running" the Yotes truly were. Seems like an odd rumor, agreed, but stranger things have happened.
Heard it. Eklund has referenced it a couple times. Only worth considering if Vanek comes with a manageable extension.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:37 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Heard it. Eklund has referenced it a couple times. Only worth considering if Vanek comes with a manageable extension.
Eklund, dang not what I was hoping to hear all things considered.

Manageable extension would be SWEET! Knowing GMDM's past moves I think you're right to figure this would have to be a factor as the Yotes really aren't into "Rentals" even if it is for a full season.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Manageable extension would make him worth a blue chip D prospect.

Buffalo would have to eat some salary too. Like half.

07-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I'm giddy already with Ribeiro, (submitting man card for use of this word, but truthful inner happiness) but I think I'd have to call for the de-fib if GMDM pulled off getting Vanek.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Mosby
Howl On

I've heard this rumor as well. The one reason I'd put some stock into it is because Vanek's salary is about ~800K less than his cap hit. Seems like a GMDM type move.

Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:47 PM
doaner

Ek is saying grabo too

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Fans would ask for Yandle. I think Maloney would probably offer a top end blue chip, roster player, amd a draft pick

Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

If we could land Vanek, and if he could be signed to a nice contract and term, I'd hate to trade Boedker, but I wouldn't mind trading the following for Vanek.

Boedker, Rundblad and a draft pick

Now granted Ryan still had term on his contract, so it wouldn't be at the same level, but the cost would be close to what Ryan got. Silverberg (Boedker), Noesen (Rundblad) and 1st Rounder (here's where I think it differs or we add an additional prospect not named Domi/Samuellson/Gormley)

Old
07-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I guess you could package Vermette, Boedker and Rundblad, but it just seems like a quantity for quality trade, so I'm not sure there's enough upside there for Buffalo.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:55 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
I guess you could package Vermette, Boedker and Rundblad, but it just seems like a quantity for quality trade, so I'm not sure there's enough upside there for Buffalo.
Overpayment on our end IMO. The guy's only locked up for one more year, and could very well walk for nothing as UFA a year from now.

Rundblad + Vermette + 2nd-round pick. They get a blue chip, and almost-ready solid prospect and a valuable pick. No way I give up Boedker for 1 year of Vanek.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Overpayment on our end IMO. The guy's only locked up for one more year, and could very well walk for nothing as UFA a year from now.

Rundblad + Vermette + 2nd-round pick. They get a blue chip, and almost-ready solid prospect and a valuable pick. No way I give up Boedker for 1 year of Vanek.
GMDM is not going to trade this package without a Vanek extention.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
GMDM is not going to trade this package without a Vanek extention.
Stupid question (I honestly don't know the answer): how often does this happen in the NHL? Meaning trading for a player with a pre-agreed extension.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Stupid question (I honestly don't know the answer): how often does this happen in the NHL? Meaning trading for a player with a pre-agreed extension.
I think it happens more than we think. Player traded goes to new team and signs the same day, most likely had negotiations or an agreement in principle before the deal is executed. IMO

Old
07-06-2013, 03:19 PM
DesertDawg

Vanek"s $6.4 mil for one year?
Sabre's need to eat at least 1/3 & take on salary, or ?
Boeds if he is being hard to re-sign - don't see that happening.
Another team that is willing to take on a contract instead of the Sabres (not a dump).

Getting 2 first liners would make the 'Yotes contenders.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Magnifique

I wouldn't do any deal that had us moving Boedker. He is our pick, our prospect that we groomed, and one of our better players. How many forwards can we say that about? Hanzal? We have to keep Boeds, unless he wants out.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:20 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I think it happens more than we think. Player traded goes to new team and signs the same day, most likely had negotiations or an agreement in principle before the deal is executed. IMO
OK. I can think of a lot of deals with conditional picks depending on contract extensions, I just couldn't remember an actual player trade with baked in new contract, or sign and trade types of deals.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:22 PM
kingbrutis

I wont pretend to know alot about Vanek, but Bobby Ryan is a top 10 player in the league. He's that good. Is Vanek comparable? Just looking at numbers, he's not worth $6.4 mil.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
OK. I can think of a lot of deals with conditional picks depending on contract extensions, I just couldn't remember an actual player trade with baked in new contract, or sign and trade types of deals.
Yeah if they go down like that, it sure isn't talked about unless it's a big name player. With that said, I believe it happens quite a bit. If Vanek did agree to come to Phoenix and sign before he was traded, we would most likely hear about it a few days before it happened.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:29 PM
DesertDawg

I wouldn't consider Ryan a top 10 player, but he is a 1st liner like Vanek. Vanek on the 'Yotes would be a p/g wing.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
I don't see it. Maloney doesn't make big trades. Jokinen is the only blockbuster/bold trade that I think he has ever made. And that one didn't work out. I wold love Vanek though. Maybe if the Sabres retained 1.5 million?

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
I don't see it. Maloney doesn't make big trades. Jokinen is the only blockbuster/bold trade that I think he has ever made. And that one didn't work out. I wold love Vanek though. Maybe if the Sabres retained 1.5 million?
Ownership had a huge part in that, I imagine. We didn't have the money to spend, nor the assets to give up. Remember we were dumpster divers that made it work.

I think if there was ever a summer Maloney was going to make a huge push, it's going to be one right after we missed the playoffs for the first time in years, on a new contract, with ownership more clear than it has ever been, and after his first free agent splash since he arrived

that said, I don't see Vanek coming here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Ownership had a huge part in that, I imagine. We didn't have the money to spend, nor the assets to give up. Remember we were dumpster divers that made it work.

I think if there was ever a summer Maloney was going to make a huge push, it's going to be one right after we missed the playoffs for the first time in years, on a new contract, with ownership more clear than it has ever been, and after his first free agent splash since he arrived

that said, I don't see Vanek coming here. Hopefully I'm wrong.
You don't have to be the team receiving the big money player in a big trade to be involved in one. Yandle could've been unloaded for a cheaper package at anytime to help the offense. Especially because money was such a big problem. Thank god he didn't though. I want Yandle in a Coyotes jersey for a long time.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote