HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Arizona Sports Thread II: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Naurutger

vCash: 1454
Anyone watching that game against UCLA knew something was up...ruined my Vegas trip.

Pac-12 head of officials investigated for targeting Arizona's Sean Miller

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...as-sean-miller

Old
04-01-2013, 09:19 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Something seemed stranged with the way the refs were calling that game but I didn't make a big stink about it seeing that I didn't want to lead into any crazy ideas. However, this is huge if any of this is true.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Any soccer fans in this forum? FC Phoenix just began their inaugural season in the USL (a step below MLS) and beat Tampa in their first home game on Saturday. They play at the ASU soccer stadium (on University in Tempe) ... tickets were $18 (standing room) and I was pretty impressed with the crowd (near capacity, lots of energy in the supporters section).

Next home game is Sunday the 7th against Orlando ... anyone planning on going?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Any soccer fans in this forum? FC Phoenix just began their inaugural season in the USL (a step below MLS) and beat Tampa in their first home game on Saturday. They play at the ASU soccer stadium (on University in Tempe) ... tickets were $18 (standing room) and I was pretty impressed with the crowd (near capacity, lots of energy in the supporters section).

Next home game is Sunday the 7th against Orlando ... anyone planning on going?
I never even heard of this team or this league actually.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

http://us.soccerway.com/teams/united...oenix/matches/
http://www.phoenixfc.com

Search for "American Outlaws Phoenix" or "La Furia Roja" on Facebook to get a hold of the local soccer supporters club, or just be at the Devils Advocate bar in Tempe a couple hours prior to kickoff.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Naurutger

I heard about them. I never watch soccer but after buying the Yotes, buying an expansion MLS team would be my next choice. Easy Money

Old
04-01-2013, 09:57 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

vCash: 500
Phoenix should have an MLS team, and they should play at the Cardinals stadium. Zero excuses for this to have not happened already. The hockey equivalent of Toronto not having a team.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

I think it comes in steps. The US had a big soccer league in the 1970's (the NASL), and some of the world's best players came over here for a few years of retirement pay (Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruijff, Best, Carlos Alberto) ... the MLS is hell-bent on not repeating the financial mistakes the NASL made, so they've been cautious and deliberate about expansion. The last few years, Seattle, Portland, Philly, Vancouver and Montreal have all been added to the league after demonstrating that a significant fanbase exists and after committing/making some sort of plans to fund a soccer-specific stadium.

I have no idea what the details of using ASU's stadium are, but regularly putting thousands of butts in seats is a step in the right direction. Summer weather (MLS, unlike most world soccer leagues, plays March-November) is a problem, but a domed stadium would be a way around 9pm July starts. Cardinal Stadium is waaaaaaay bigger than necessary for MLS, but crowds of 5,000 should be easy for the Valley.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Phoenix should have an MLS team, and they should play at the Cardinals stadium. Zero excuses for this to have not happened already. The hockey equivalent of Toronto not having a team.
Toronto and Hockey is more like Mexico City and Futbol. Phoenix and Futbol is more like Buffalo and Hockey. Maybe even more like Columbus and Hockey.

04-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Naurutger

Dbacks doing their part to keep the opening day streak alive. Owner can jump in a lake but the team is cool.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:33 PM
gra
Custom User Title

UofP Stadium is fine for soccer and only half of the stadium would be needed for MLS games. One of the reasons why I hear MLS has yet to come here is this: Along with the lack of a grassroots movement is because even though soccer is big among the demographics here, the MLS is not well liked.

I'll be the 1st to say though if the Coyotes do go and a MLS team does come to AZ that team will be the one I follow more than any of the other pro teams here.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:59 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I'll be the 1st to say though if the Coyotes do go and a MLS team does come to AZ that team will be the one I follow more than any of the other pro teams here.
I will be pissed if and when the Coyotes leave, but trading them for an MLS team would be a fantastic silver medal. I'd be happy to trade the Cardinals, Suns and D'Backs for an MLS team. Heck, I'd take a personal day from work to help re-paint the grass at either UoP or Chase for soccer ...

Old
04-02-2013, 12:31 AM
zz

Really? I'm surprised by the level of interest in soccer on this board. Coming from a soccer-crazy country, that sport is pretty much the opposite of hockey. Scoreless games, constant diving, frustrating reffing... just sooooooooooooo boring.

On top of all that, MLS skill level is to international soccer what the WHL is to the NHL. I mean, how can you pay good players to play here with 18 home games in a season with less than 10,000 fans attending?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:31 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Really? I'm surprised by the level of interest in soccer on this board. Coming from a soccer-crazy country, that sport is pretty much the opposite of hockey. Scoreless games, constant diving, frustrating reffing... just sooooooooooooo boring.

On top of all that, MLS skill level is to international soccer what the WHL is to the NHL. I mean, how can you pay good players to play here with 18 home games in a season with less than 10,000 fans attending?
Opposite of hockey? Soccer and hockey both flow, as does basketball to a lesser extent. In baseball, two players interact for a half-second, then the whole game stops for 10-15 seconds, then the same two players interact for a half-second. Occasionally others are involved. In football, highly specialized players line up in precisely choreographed formations and do very unique things for 4 or 5 seconds, then stop for 30 to plan out the next play. Soccer and hockey require everybody be able to do everything (play the ball, defend, attack, move in space) and requires everybody think for themselves and improvise a bit. Soooooo much more enjoyable to watch.

MLS attendance most years hovers between 17,000 and 18,000, which puts the league on par with France and Belgium, ahead of Brazil and Argentina. MLS struggles in terms of market share, because it's still a small fish in a market of 380m in North America, but fans show up to games in a big, big way.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Naurutger

And back on topic of all Arizona related sports, the OT Soccer enjoyment convo can be continued here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...307381&page=20

Top-five prospect Aaron Gordon announces for Arizona

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...es-for-arizona

Going to need a lot of ref conspiracies to keep this team down.

Last edited by Naurutger: 04-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
gra
Custom User Title

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91...rdinals-source

Quote:
Quarterback Carson Palmer has been traded from the Oakland Raiders to the Arizona Cardinals for a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2014 draft, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Same ol Cards

Old
04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Palmer will get sacked in the first game and require season ending surgery.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Naurutger

This is what I dont get:

Kevin Kolb- was due to make $11 million this year at age 28 with the following stats:
2011-81.1 QB Rating
2012-86.1 QB rating
So they cut him.

They bring in Carson Palmer at age 33 with the following stats:
2011-80.5 QB Rating
2012-85.3 QB Rating
And he gets $10 million a year with the Cardinals.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Mark my words, Palmer will be the best Quarterback the Cards have had since Warner.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Mark my words, Palmer will be the best Quarterback the Cards have had since Warner.
Not much bravery involved in that declaration.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Not much bravery involved in that declaration.
Dammit, you caught on...

I still firmly believe that we should target Geno Smith in the draft, he should and probably will be available at the seventh overall pick

Old
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

The Cardinals are going way out of their way to avoid being linked to Geno Smith. Every chance they get, they poo poo the idea of taking a QB at 7. Didn't send reps to his workouts. Which means, of course, that they desperately want him. I'm okay with it, but if Eric Fisher falls that's really the better pick. Or trading down for Warmack/Cooper.

I'm not convinced in the slightest that the Cardinals can make the playoffs with as strong as the division is going to be this year. Even with a great year from personnel, you're still facing a murderous schedule. Get an average or sub par year from a few guys and you are picking top 5 again. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, considering that 2014 will have an absurd amount of QB talent.

Fitz needs to escape while he can still perform.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Naurutger

Lol...Dbacks pushed to the hated FSN+ for the Suns tomorrow

Old
04-03-2013, 07:04 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

A long overdue congrats on picking up Prado and signing him long term. While I love the trade and getting Upton, Prado is sorely missed in Atlanta. Dude plays every position on the left side (3rd, SS, LF) and never complained being moved all over the place while batting .300. Great in the clubhouse too. Upton is a beast and our outfield is great, but Prado is a great piece to have.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
A long overdue congrats on picking up Prado and signing him long term. While I love the trade and getting Upton, Prado is sorely missed in Atlanta. Dude plays every position on the left side (3rd, SS, LF) and never complained being moved all over the place while batting .300. Great in the clubhouse too. Upton is a beast and our outfield is great, but Prado is a great piece to have.
Yeah, Prado is great and there certainly are not a lot of better value guys at the 3B position. But I'm still quite annoyed about the Upton trade. The organization trashed Upton in the media, made a dedicated to the franchise guy actually want to leave, tanked his value, then traded him at his absolute lowest value possible. BRILLIANT move Mr. Towers. Brilliant.

/rant.

Closed Thread