HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Darcy's job depend on the success of the Ott/Roy trade

Old
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Does Darcy's job depend on the success of the Ott/Roy trade

Disclaimer: No matter what happens I'm not going to 20/20 Regier on this one. It was 1000% the correct move to make to strengthen weaknesses on his team. No doubt in my mind.

Now for the Debbie Downer part...

If Ott has a bad season, and scores only 20 points in 70 games, takes too many minors, and fails to change the mindset of the team. We miss the playoffs. And Roy puts up 65 points in 80 games and generally has a Lady Bing type season. They make the playoffs.

What then? Will the media crucify Regier to the point where the owners have to axe him or share in the relentless ridicule?

Does Regier's job depend on the success of this trade?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:27 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
No. only because I think another move is on the horizon....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Ness
Your favorite thing?

No. He has another ace up his sleeve.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:47 PM
dkollidas

No. I think he's convinced Pegula of the need for a mini-rebuild which they're undertaking and that Pegula will let him run it for another year or two after this to see Grigs and Girgs develop. I think the same goes for Lindy as well, if only for the fact that if they let Lindy go, Regier will resign.

dkollidas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:49 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Nope. Once Roy opened his mouth, Darcy had no other choice.

Right move 100%

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post

What then? Will the media crucify Regier to the point where the owners have to axe him or share in the relentless ridicule?

I think the "Media's" influence on Terry's decision to keep Darcy is non existent. IMO, Terry is more likely to keep Darcy just because those idiots keep calling for his head. Besides, anything short of a Cup win and idiots like Sullivan, Bucky and Schopp will still be expecting a change in management.

And, no Darcy's job does not depend on this move. Even if there isn't some big move on the horizon, I think everyone is in agreement this deal had to be made. You get rid of a player with one year left on his contract that you have no intention of extending and replace him with a player that brings everything we have been looking for in a player and also save $1M in cap space (Pardy's in the AHL, IMO).

I'm more inclined to fire Darcy if he DOESN'T make this trade.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Sabretip

Regier openly acknowledged that the trade involved two different types of players - so the statistical production next season of each player in comparison to each other will mean nothing.

That said, while adding Ott will definitely help the culture and competitiveness of the roster, he alone isn't enough to make the Sabres an instant playoff contender. Offense is still a big question mark - even moreso now that Roy is gone - as is whether any of the players that underachieved last season (Leino, Stafford, Myers, Miller, Gerbe) will rebound with stronger efforts.

If Regier doesn't make another move this summer or during camp for a center or scorer, I think he's walking on thin ice.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

No, it was the right move. I take Hodgson/Ott over Roy/Kassian any day. The Sabres have money to spend, but next year's UFAs will be better, so the question is how much to offer Doan or offer for Stastny/Ryan?

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
No, it was the right move. I take Hodgson/Ott over Roy/Kassian any day. The Sabres have money to spend, but next year's UFAs will be better, so the question is how much to offer Doan or offer for Stastny/Ryan?
Two different types of questions, obviously - given Doan's age, it's hard to see Regier favoring that route with a long-term deal over the preferred route he always speaks of (players locked up on contracts like Stastny and Ryan are).

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Nyet. I think it depends on the playoffs this or next year.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:24 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

The media's been crucifying Darcy for 5 years, and yet he's not going anywhere. I doubt this changes that. It's a bit of an overstatement to say that Darcy has a job for life, but he's pretty close.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:33 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Coming from the OP, frankly I'm surprised the player trade being discussed isn't Hodgson/Kassian

Regiers or any GM's job shouldn't be "on the line" because of one trade. It should be on the line because the team that's constructed isn't winning enough. And yes, a lot of teams Regier has constructed hasn't done much. But that's now on Pegula and his tolerance for the results since he took over, not prior. That's the way Pegula wants to run his company, so be it.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Nope. Definitely not.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:52 PM
McTankel

I've been extremely happy with every move Darcy has made since Pegula took over. I mean a first for Gaustad, and Coho for Kassian...Absolute steals!

Roy for Ott and Pardy was a little meh for me. I wish it was a 2nd round pick in 2013 + Ott. But we needed Roy gone, after he spoke out against the coach following last season, he was as good as gone. We also got a lot harder to play against and quite a bit tougher.

I loved both drafts so far as well. I do not think Regier is the problem at all. He has been pulling off some amazing deals. I think the real problem is Ruff TBH, guy does not know how to use the players skills properly and in the right way. But I guess they come as a pair...I really hope not, I am hoping Ruff gets fired soon.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Even the hacks at TBN couldn't jump Regier if this trade fails. Instead they would look at Ruff and blame him for not getting more out of Roy or other current players, and getting less out of Ott.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:43 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

No... This was a blatant change of culture trade.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:44 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

No, it depends on the development of Hodgson, Grigerenko and Girgensons.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Pegula seems to completely trust Darcy, so I can hardly imagine that he'd fire him over losing one trade, but I think that the only two players that could potentially warrant him losing his job would be Myers and Miller, because they'd both be pretty monumental trades for the franchise, and it'd be extremely difficult to recover from losing one of those two unless they won the trade handily.

Unless the team plays like absolute ****, I think he's earned himself a few years since he's got more than a handful of blue-chip young players to point at.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
ptrm2112

I doubt it. I've been generally impressed with what he's done recently and I'm sure he has more in mind. Also, if he's survived this long I don't see how one trade could decide his future.

He needed to move Roy and Ott is exactly the kind of guy we want.

ptrm2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Blitz
All JACKED up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Nope. Once Roy opened his mouth, Darcy had no other choice.

Right move 100%
This is right on the head - Roy voiced his displeasure with Buffalo going into a UFA contract year, as well as questioning the methods of his current coach... He cooked his own goose.

If we had kept Roy, IMO he either would have...

a) Continued to be a worsening malcontent, producing mediocre numbers due to a lack of motivation/issues with Ruff.

b) had a good statistical year and demanded somewhere north of $5.5M/yr on his next deal (ie: Grabo ~Thanks Burkie) - He likely would have demanded it in a different city mind you.... and we get nothing for him except a headache.

Darcy got a good return for "Rental-Roy" in Ott, who we have control of for 2 more seasons, will add physicality & who genuinely seems to want to be here. Adam Pardy is also no slouch & may gel well in Buffalo's system similar to Sulzer did.

We did not lose on this deal - Therefore it should not negatively effect Darcy.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:46 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Disclaimer: No matter what happens I'm not going to 20/20 Regier on this one. It was 1000% the correct move to make to strengthen weaknesses on his team. No doubt in my mind.

Now for the Debbie Downer part...

If Ott has a bad season, and scores only 20 points in 70 games, takes too many minors, and fails to change the mindset of the team. We miss the playoffs. And Roy puts up 65 points in 80 games and generally has a Lady Bing type season. They make the playoffs.

I think these threads are silly. One trade to define a GMs job after what he has done? Just silly.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Roy 11

Roy voiced his displeasure with questioning the methods of his current coach... he is not the first one and will probably not be the last one.

Roy did the right thing for him and the team. He was the only one to stand up to that bully (Ruff). All he does is yell and swear at his players and call them out to the media. He does not teach all he does behind the bench is scream his head off. He looks like a fool on TV. Nobody else had the guts to stand up to that bully in front of the media. As an assistant captain he did what he had to do for his team hopping maybe that Ruff would calm down and talk to his players in private instead of degrading them in front of the media, but I guess it back fired on him.

I have nothing but respect for a hockey player like Roy. He's a character guy that will be miss in the dressing room and off the ice.

I am glad he did what he did. How would you like to go to work everyday and have your boss yell and swear at you, no thank you.

Roy is a professional athlete with good hockey sense and a proven record, but 8 years of being with Ruff I think he had enough of the yelling and swearing and just could not take it in anymore. He said what he had to say and now he will move on and he will be the best that he can be in Dallas.
Darcy and I hope Lindy (for the sake of the Buffalo Sabres) will finally be let go because the trade Roy/Ott was a BIG mistake.

Roy 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Blitz
All JACKED up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy 11 View Post
Roy voiced his displeasure with questioning the methods of his current coach... he is not the first one and will probably not be the last one.

Roy did the right thing for him and the team. He was the only one to stand up to that bully (Ruff). All he does is yell and swear at his players and call them out to the media. He does not teach all he does behind the bench is scream his head off. He looks like a fool on TV. Nobody else had the guts to stand up to that bully in front of the media. As an assistant captain he did what he had to do for his team hopping maybe that Ruff would calm down and talk to his players in private instead of degrading them in front of the media, but I guess it back fired on him.

I have nothing but respect for a hockey player like Roy. He's a character guy that will be miss in the dressing room and off the ice.

I am glad he did what he did. How would you like to go to work everyday and have your boss yell and swear at you, no thank you.

Roy is a professional athlete with good hockey sense and a proven record, but 8 years of being with Ruff I think he had enough of the yelling and swearing and just could not take it in anymore. He said what he had to say and now he will move on and he will be the best that he can be in Dallas.
Darcy and I hope Lindy (for the sake of the Buffalo Sabres) will finally be let go because the trade Roy/Ott was a BIG mistake.
Derek? Is that you?

Any player who challenges their coach, not to mention the longest tenured coach in the league on television is going to incur some form of action or discipline - It's unprofessional regardless of that person's feelings towards their "bully" coach's style. It's Lindy's team - not Derek Roy's or any other player on that roster.

Frankly Derek is lucky a trade ended up coming around prior to the start of camp...

BTW Jame is gonna love you.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Personally, I wouldn't expect a change with Regier & Ruff until after the 2013-14 season at the earliest.

I think Pegula will give them three full seasons under his ownership before deciding whether to make a change or not.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
We did not lose on this deal - Therefore it should not negatively effect Darcy.
so, what was our record in the '12-'13 season? I'm curious!

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote