HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Alex Edler's Next Contract

Old
07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Whats the difference between 4.5 and 6 mill, still filthy filthy rich. Get on board with the team and take less than market value.
There is nothing wrong with a player wanting market value, and Edler should not be condemned for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
If Gillis can sign him, he will max out at 6.0 million for 6 years if he is lucky. I can't see Gillis offering Edler more than the Sedins make, even if the open market dictates otherwise.
If this happens, MG should be fired. If Edler's worth 7.5 million, then getting his replacement is going to be just as much, without even considering the fact that players like Edler don't become available very often.

If Edler wants 7.5 million ( or whatever his market value is), MG has to give it to him, no questions asked. That's how important he is to this team.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
blaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thospratt View Post
Next year's UFA crop on defence below. Seems thin to me. Would the Canucks be any better off with, say, Ryan Whitney or Tobias Enstrom than Edler? Edler is so maddeningly inconsistent that extending him for a long time seems fraught, especially at $5 mil+. I guess I don't see an alternative, though
Ryan Whitney spends more time chirping the Canucks on Twitter than actually playing hockey. Enstrom is good though!

At some point Gillis is gonna have to abandon his "team cap" of 4.5-4.6 million for defenseman and go with more logical numbers. Banking on good players to take discounts to play here is a risky endeavor.

blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
There is nothing wrong with a player wanting market value, and Edler should not be condemned for it.

If this happens, MG should be fired. If Edler's worth 7.5 million, then getting his replacement is going to be just as much, without even considering the fact that players like Edler don't become available very often.

If Edler wants 7.5 million ( or whatever his market value is), MG has to give it to him, no questions asked. That's how important he is to this team.
Lets see how this season plays out first. This year very well might decide how big a contract he receives, because up until now, his inconsistencies make him hard to quantify.

MajorCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Lets see how this season plays out first. This year very well might decide how big a contract he receives, because up until now, his inconsistencies make him hard to quantify.
I agree. My post was in response to those who think that Edler should be giving the team a discount or that he should be refrained from making more than the Sedins, under all circumstances.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Rightly or wrongly it almost seems like there is a cap on the value of a great defensive ability in dman and an astronomical limit of offensive ability. Then you have that reinforced by people like Karlsson who win the Norris trophy and can play barely adequate defense in the NHL.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
I agree. My post was in response to those who think that Edler should be giving the team a discount or that he should be refrained from making more than the Sedins, under all circumstances.
I don't think Edler deserves anything more than 5 mil right now, unless he absolutely blows the roof off next season and has a Norris type season.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:13 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Bang on. I also don't think it's a lock that he signs here either. He could price himself right out of Van, especially if Weber hits UFA.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Edler has not outplayed Hamhuis or Bieksa at any point in his career, I fail to see why he would make more money. I'd lock him up now at Garrison money now or wait for him to take another step before opening the vault for him.
This comment didn't make anyone else laugh out loud hilariously? Really? At any point in his career? Bieksa is just as inconsistent as Edler, if not more so throughout their careers.

If I were Edler, I would sincerely be offended by a contract offer of $4.6M over 6 years and walk away if that were the highest Gillis is willing to go. MG needs to recognize the cap situation has changed and Edler has been out-performing his contract for the past 3 years. Sorry, but we can't let another potential 50 point highly skilled Dman leave this organization.

Best case scenario, Seabrooks contract $5.8 for 5 years or 6 years preferably. But i'd do $6.1 for 5/6 years as well to keep the Sedin internal cap, which i think is reasonable. Highest i think i would go is $6.5 but that's really pushing it to the brink of okay to Eeekk territory.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Edler has not outplayed Hamhuis or Bieksa at any point in his career, I fail to see why he would make more money. I'd lock him up now at Garrison money now or wait for him to take another step before opening the vault for him.
What is this garbage post? Edler has one bad playoffs and he has NEVER outplayed Bieksa at any point in his career? Give me a break.

Also, Edler has the best potential than anyone on our team. ANYONE.

Give him what he deserves by watching how he does THIS year. Don't write him off now and treat him like garbage. If he gets 50+ points and finishes top 5 in Norris voting than give him the 6-7mil he deserves, not the 4.6mil you think he is going to get.

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
This comment didn't make anyone else laugh out loud hilariously? Really? At any point in his career? Bieksa is just as inconsistent as Edler, if not more so throughout their careers.

If I were Edler, I would sincerely be offended by a contract offer of $4.6M over 6 years and walk away if that were the highest Gillis is willing to go. MG needs to recognize the cap situation has changed and Edler has been out-performing his contract for the past 3 years. Sorry, but we can't let another potential 50 point highly skilled Dman leave this organization.

Best case scenario, Seabrooks contract $5.8 for 5 years or 6 years preferably. But i'd do $6.1 for 5/6 years as well to keep the Sedin internal cap, which i think is reasonable. Highest i think i would go is $6.5 but that's really pushing it to the brink of okay to Eeekk territory.
Scurr is to Bieksa and Edler as y2k is to Luongo and the Sedins.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
I don't think Edler deserves anything more than 5 mil right now, unless he absolutely blows the roof off next season and has a Norris type season.
That's fine with me if you think Edler's market value is 5 million. I don't agree with it, but perhaps an argument can be made for it.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Edler's defensive short comings from time to time have been underrated by Canucks fans, at least on this board. On the other hand Bieksa's short comings on defense from time to time have been over stated.

I can't help to think it has more to do with the year of birth on his hockey card more than anything.

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Depending how next season plays out (& the CBA) I'm guessing its going to be 6+ years with a cap hit of 5.5+ Million & then there are signing bonuses.

Edler will be the highest paid Dman on this team.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Icebreakers

Matt Carle just got 5.5 x 6 and he is much worse than Edler, might as well trade him now because he will get offers at 6+.

Canuck Fan's are so frustrating.

We have people defending Kesler and his 14 game goaless streak and 49 points , but blaming Edler for 3 bad games.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
Edler's defensive short comings from time to time have been underrated by Canucks fans, at least on this board. On the other hand Bieksa's short comings on defense from time to time have been over stated.

I can't help to think it has more to do with the year of birth on his hockey card more than anything.
I don't think Bieksa's shortcomings were ever overstated. He was legitimately one of the worst defensemen on our team for 2 straight years before Hamhuis showed up and the advanced stats support that.

Meanwhile Edler has both his share of people that exaggerate how good he is right now and his share of haters that seem to find fault with everything he does (like him supposedly constantly missing the net when that's not even close to the truth).

Old
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
5.5m if we are lucky

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:28 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post

It also has to do with the fact that there's still a lot of potential that Edler hasn't reached yet, and Bieksa is at his peak. We're a lot more forgiving of Edler's mistakes because of that.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't think Bieksa's shortcomings were ever overstated. He was legitimately one of the worst defensemen on our team for 2 straight years before Hamhuis showed up and the advanced stats support that.
What about Edler in those same years?

Old
07-05-2012, 07:29 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
Matt Carle just got 5.5 x 6 and he is much worse than Edler, might as well trade him now because he will get offers at 6+.

Canuck Fan's are so frustrating.

We have people defending Kesler and his 14 game goaless streak and 49 points , but blaming Edler for 3 bad games.
Stevie Y also gave Salo 3.75 for 2 years.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:29 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Advanced stats can be misleading. Eyeball test can be misleading. But when the eyeball test is backed up by the advanced stats...........

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Stevie Y also gave Salo 3.75 for 2 years.

Than hes going to give Edler 6+. Thank you for proving my point.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
It also has to do with the fact that there's still a lot of potential that Edler hasn't reached yet, and Bieksa is at his peak. We're a lot more forgiving of Edler's mistakes because of that.
No guarantees he is getting there, especially after last year.

Not like that has anything to do with his contract status anyway. He is going to get paid, there is no doubt about it.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
kanuck87

Quote:

Meanwhile Edler has both his share of people that exaggerate how good he is right now and his share of haters that seem to find fault with everything he does (like him supposedly constantly missing the net when that's not even close to the truth).
Even coming off our SCF playoff run where Bieksa was clearly our best defenseman, maybe even best player, period, I still get the feeling that fans have very little patience with him when it comes to making mistakes.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Even coming off our SCF playoff run where Bieksa was clearly our best defenseman, maybe even best player, period, I still get the feeling that fans have very little patience with him when it comes to making mistakes.
He was the best defensemen in one series.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I don't know, maybe there's a fringe group of people that still blame him for stuff constantly but I don't think there's that many of them since the arrival of Hamhuis.