HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubnyk signs for 2 years @ 3.5M Cap Hit

Old
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I guess, but with with the Oilers' track record over the past three years they can't possibly lose more games in 12/13 than 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12.

Might as well run with him. If he sucks then the Oilers can explore some options with Bulin off the books next summer.
Yeah, the term on the contract isn't exactly milestone-esq

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

3.5m per represents <5% of the salary cap which on the face of it is not bad for a starting goalie. The problem is DD has not yet proven himself as a starter. I would have liked to have given him a 1 year deal and then looked at the situation again this time next year.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I like this deal. He will prove he is a good starting goalie this year with a better d corp in front of him and a more mature bunch of forwards as well. He put up NHL numbers playing behind an AHL team last year.
I'm losing confidence that those reinforcements are arriving this year.

I think better D would make him look better, but, J.Schultz won't be an impact year, IMO. I'll keep my eyes open for those trade options that were supposedly opening up after the Suter/Parise signings... but... excuse me if I don't hold my breath.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

We can ***** about this all summer (and I'm annoyed by it) but the bottomline is that Dubnyk's agent had a lot of ammunition to bring to the negotiating table. 20 wins, 20 losses and solid overall numbers on the 29th place team in the league probably would have garnered him something similar in arbitration.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Some of the comparables made in this thread are a big laugh.
Admit it, that's mostly why you come here, right? For the laughs.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Price is about right considering how much the cap rose.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Decent deal for both sides. I'd say he's about as capable as a guy like Niemi, and Niemi earns more than he Dubnyk and even signed his contract when the ceiling was lower.
You might want to ask yourself why Niemi got that contract. Could you come up with a stranger comparable?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Seriously are people only checking save percentage and GAA in establishing their opinion and comparables?

Its common knowledge that Dubnyk for the most part gets assigned the easier games. These are his numbers without being a number 1 goalie. To compare him to #1 goalies elsewhere is ludicrous.

Next, this is a team that nobody has been in competition with. Teams play us lightly, take the 2 pts, and don't really care how many goals they put up. On most nights you don't need to do much to beat the Oilers.

Indeed....proper context seems to have been discarded all together.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm still not sure why the Hawks didn't bring Neimi back. He's not a great goaltender but the contract that the Sharks gave him isn't outrageous.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Admit it, that's mostly why you come here, right? For the laughs.
I ask myself that sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Indeed....proper context seems to have been discarded all together.
One wonders what price would be deemed unacceptable here. Oh wait, the price WAS deemed unacceptable. EVERY post in this thread prior to knowledge of what the numbers were speculated much lower numbers and NOBODY in the thread to that point thought it would be this HIGH.
Except as per usual when the counting is done theres a lot of "well thats not so bad, has to be taken into context, he's really quite good, yadayada."

The transformations are incredible. As if Tambo signed the contract so it must be worthwhile...

We pay more for goaltending then the vast majority of teams that win the SC. Think about that.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Arpeggio

Khabby was a mistake, everyone knows that. 3.5 million isn't that bad for a guy you're banking on to be the number one for the next two seasons. Can't say this really bothers me in the least. The contract won't prevent the Oilers from signing, trading, moving, etc. anyone.

Not my money, don't care.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
umm Neimi signed the contract after leading his team to a friggin Stanley cup.. not backing up his team into a lotto finsih.

I dont think the money will be an issue ... its just that Dubnyk has put a lot of pressure on himself by getting this deal. He IMO is not ready for this role.
Quote:
You might want to ask yourself why Niemi got that contract. Could you come up with a stranger comparable?
I took that into consideration, I'm not blindly making an analogy. I said they are comparably talented goaltenders (I stand by that, I don't think Niemi was a huge piece to the Hawks puzzle, I think they were just deep enough everywhere else and had a good enough system to make Niemi's job easier). If you take into consideration that Niemi's inflation adjusted contract is just south of $4.25 M, and that Dubnyk signed for $3.5 M, the difference is about $750k per. I feel a Stanley Cup could reasonably add about a million to your salary during a contract year. Therefore, I think it's a decent contract. We maybe slightly overpaid (by 250k), but we hardly got robbed blind.

Of course, if you take the stance that Niemi is overpaid or a significantly better goalie than Dubynk, you probably would disagree.

07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
TopCookie

Dubnyk should of gotten around 2.5-3 ml a year. At least it's only two years

TopCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
OF17

I don't see why this contract is so bad. The $1 million or so difference between this contract and the ideal won't make any difference this coming year, and with Khabibulin, Whitney, and perhaps Hemsky off the books the season after that, it's not likely to make much difference in the second year either. Best case scenario, you have a starting goaltender for reasonable to good dollars. Worst case, you have about a million dollars less cap room to find one for one year. This is not a horrible situation.

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Seriously are people only checking save percentage and GAA in establishing their opinion and comparables?

Its common knowledge that Dubnyk for the most part gets assigned the easier games. These are his numbers without being a number 1 goalie. To compare him to #1 goalies elsewhere is ludicrous.

Next, this is a team that nobody has been in competition with. Teams play us lightly, take the 2 pts, and don't really care how many goals they put up. On most nights you don't need to do much to beat the Oilers.

You're selling him short.
Dubnyk beat the Penguins, Predators, Kings, Sharks, Blackhawks... all playoff teams (except the sharks, who were literally in the chase until their last game)

that doesn't take into account non playoff teams he beat as well.

If Dubnyk starts 60-65 games this year, and wins somewhere between 32 and 38 games, is he still wildly overpaid ??

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We can ***** about this all summer (and I'm annoyed by it) but the bottomline is that Dubnyk's agent had a lot of ammunition to bring to the negotiating table. 20 wins, 20 losses and solid overall numbers on the 29th place team in the league probably would have garnered him something similar in arbitration.
Too much for Dubynk but at the same time what if this is a crazy "We'll give you 7 million right now while we can afford to overpay you, then if you're our best option we'll keep you on at the same price tag later."

Maybe I expect too much from management.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Moneypuck

Dats alot of moola for a goaltender with a .426 winning %.

Poop or get off the pot time Doobey.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

it's ok. It is put up or shut up time anyway.....might as well pay him. Astounding that he makes twice the Petrydish.

BoldMcNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Daneo21

This forum is just full of LOL... Really people are going to ***** about Dubnyk's contract? Its 2 years get over it! Sure he is getting 1M more than he probably should but we aren't in cap space hell, so why the hell are people complaining? This also isn't a Khabbi contract either, Dubnyk is still fairly young and IF he plays like he did the last half of the season than he will be worth every penny of that contract... if he doesn't, well then it wouldn't be the first time we had a highly paid backup ala Khabibulin

But those that are freaking over how much money a player makes for a 2 year contract? You guys need to give your head a shake

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You're selling him short.
Dubnyk beat the Penguins, Predators, Kings, Sharks, Blackhawks... all playoff teams (except the sharks, who were literally in the chase until their last game)
In almost every instance its when those clubs weren't playing well. He also lost 3 games against Vancouver, Phoenix, 2 against Stlouis, 2 against Calgary. He had an easy schedule, games were handpicked for him(for instance 4 starts against Columbus)

Quote:
that doesn't take into account non playoff teams he beat as well.

If Dubnyk starts 60-65 games this year, and wins somewhere between 32 and 38 games, is he still wildly overpaid ??
Did you think about that at all? Theres simply no way the bolded would occur. You're projecting up to 38wins for a goalie thats 26 yrs old that has 36 wins in his entire career?

Are you expecting him to start every game? He could start 82 games and would be virtually guaranteed to not get 38 wins. What a ridiculous point.

I will NEVER post here again if Dubnyk gets 38 wins next year. Put it that way.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
He better prove that he is a good starting goalie in October. A big contract = higher expectations and a shorter leash.
Yep. Not a lot of pressure on the Oiler goaltender the last few years after Christmas, since it was clear that playoffs were not happening...

You can see it in this thread: DD's numbers are bad because he was playing in front of a bad team. That might be the case, but it's also a built in mental safety net. I hope he can fly without it.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
It's a little high, but he's put up some fine numbers on a God awful team. I prefer to look at it today as signing Petry and Dubbie both for 2 years at 5.25m per year for both. Sounds pretty decent to me. Got a good deal on Petry, overpaid a bit on Dubbie--it all evens out.

KarmaPolice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Angry Boys

The Oilers can no doubt afford this contract now , though it might set up a tough re signing in 2 years time, when our cap space is much tighter.

If Dubnyk improves all his stats in the next 2 seasons, even marginally, his agent will be looking for an upgrade in dollars at that time - it might be at that time that we rue the contract he signed today - time will tell I suppose!!

Angry Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

3.5M/yr is a totally reasonable sum to expect to pay for a starting goaltender.

I only wish we knew for sure that Dubnyk actually was a starting goaltender before he started making this kind of money.

Mind you, it's not a ridiculous overpay in a 70M cap world. Sometimes, I wonder if fans get hung up on dollar values and think a 3.5M salary holds the same value as the same amount would 3-4 years ago...the cap's gone up nearly 20% in only 3 years.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
This forum is just full of LOL... Really people are going to ***** about Dubnyk's contract? Its 2 years get over it! Sure he is getting 1M more than he probably should but we aren't in cap space hell, so why the hell are people complaining? This also isn't a Khabbi contract either, Dubnyk is still fairly young and IF he plays like he did the last half of the season than he will be worth every penny of that contract... if he doesn't, well then it wouldn't be the first time we had a highly paid backup ala Khabibulin

But those that are freaking over how much money a player makes for a 2 year contract? You guys need to give your head a shake
In case you missed it the same day Dybnyk wins the lottery Gagner goes arbitration because the Oilers wouldn't come to terms.

So in otherwords were lowballing a 22 yr old 6th pick with an average of 44pts/yr that most clubs in the league would want so that we can pay more for a replaceable scrub that NOBODY would be offering this contract to.