HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubnyk signs for 2 years @ 3.5M Cap Hit

Old
07-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Hockey Fan #751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Pavelec is using up a lot of ufa years and his contract is only 400k more than Dubnyk's.
I'm talking about Petry's deal. Dubnyk's contract is awful at face value.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Wow I can't believe Tambo actually negotiated down to 3.5 million. What was the original asking price? 5 million? I'm not a big fan of Dubby at all. If he was 6'2 would he be in the NHL? His only strength is his height.

We're paying over 7 million for this duo of goalies oh lord. Tambo you have outdone yourself.
I dunno maybe it's just me but 10% of the cap on one of the most important positions in hockey seems fairly standard/low.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
NeutralZone

I suspect Dubnyk's agent played a bit of hardball since Edmonton really doesn't have a choice. Who else is going to play goal? It's not like there's a lot of good free agents out there to sign. Since he's going into free agency soon but hasn't proven himself as a solid #1, Edmonton may have given him a choice of low money long term or higher money short term, and the shorter term is what got agreed to.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
edmonton_ice

Dubynk Contract

Oiler's didn't have alot of option in terms of goaltending, we only have 3.5 million tied up for 2013-2104 season which isn't helluva of alot with Khabulin up after this season.

Dubynk's numbers may not look good but look at the d-men he played infront of.

What's he worth if you think 3.5 Million is too much ? This contract isn't an issue until we're up against the cap and we're far from it. There's currently 14 million left sign to Gagner and other RFA's or and maybe an UFA.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Qrispy

The people saying, "Well, we have the capspace and it's only for 2 years."

That's the one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Just because we can, it doesn't mean we should.

If Dubnyk sucks no other team will want him for that price. This signing is just an indicator of how (in)competent management is.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post

That's the one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Just because we can, it doesn't mean we should.

If Dubnyk sucks no other team will want him for that price. This signing is just an indicator of how (in)competent management is.
That's probably it.

I guess Shawn Horcoff should send Dubbie a fruit basket as a thanks for taking the heat off, right? It is the worst contract ever.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Toydarian

Quote:

It's only for 2 years though...sure he's getting more than he is probably worth, but it doesn't handicap the Oilers. Dubnyk has a 2 year window, after that the Oilers will know what they have and whether or not he is worth the same, more or less. Also, 3.5M/yr is FAR from crippling.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
The Big Unit

Dubnyk can earn this contract, it's an overpay yes but the term isn't too long and my guess is management expects him to improve enough to justify it. Doesn't mean it's the greatest move but it's not crippling either.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:00 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Its better than the alternative, which would be either losing him and playing khabibulin for 60 plus gamesm Y.Denis for 20 or so, or Dubnyk filing for arbitration and getting rewarded 4 mill per season and risking a bad relationship with oil management..
3.5 is fair..hes a 91 save percentage guy who will be 50plus games this season..Pavelec in winnipeg got 4.5 and has a lower than 91 save pct..hes one of the most overrated goalies in the league, terrible rebound control which is why he sometimes makes unbelievable saves as he puts himself in a bad situation similar to J.D.D.
.with Dubeys potential and performance thus far at 2.75 mill wouldve been fair 3 years ago..cap is going up, 3.5 is the team saying "ur our best guy at the position..we trust you, do what you did the last 2 years except for over 50 games, if you want a raise in 2yrs improve to 92 save pct. Range..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
vespa99

It is about double what he should have got based on past performance. That having been said..... who cares. We dont need the cap space.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Tommy35

Quote:

Just another terrible contract, to say the least. That makes 3 of the current regulars

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
SilverHaireDevil

This is how I think both sides looked at Dubnyk's new deal.

Dubnyk's side: He has taken over the starting job on the Oilers and should be paid accordingly. (anyone think he isn't miles better than Khabbibulin at this stage?)

Managements side:We believe you are a starting goalie so we will pay you accordingly but for now we are only going to pay you a starters salary for two years, so you now have two years to show you are the starter and are worth the money that as starter earns.

As for all the complaining about the amount of the contract that Dubnyk got, I would love to see some suggestions as to how he should be replaced without trading assets and still coming in under this price.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It's only for 2 years though...sure he's getting more than he is probably worth, but it doesn't handicap the Oilers. Dubnyk has a 2 year window, after that the Oilers will know what they have and whether or not he is worth the same, more or less. Also, 3.5M/yr is FAR from crippling.
They should know what they have by now. They blew it by not going after another goalie. Dubnyk is just slightly above average at best.

The do a good job drafting, but Oiler management has problems managing their Pro players.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
They should know what they have by now. They blew it by not going after another goalie. Dubnyk is just slightly above average at best.

The do a good job drafting, but Oiler management has problems managing their Pro players.
When it comes to goaltenders, the trends seems to be late development. I'd say Dubnyk is more or less "on track."

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:26 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Some people are reacting like Dubynk got $6M. A ~500k overpayment isn't going to kill the franchise.

07-06-2012, 08:30 PM
tsnTpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I dunno maybe it's just me but 10% of the cap on one of the most important positions in hockey seems fairly standard/low.
Standard/Low? Sure for some teams, but neither of these goalies are worth the contracts.

Who on earth is Dubnyks agent? He robbed us, Dybnyk has not showed he is worth these numbers.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:06 AM
hockeyaddict101

Eliott Friedman was on the team. He said that at first glance he thought that it was an overpay as well and then talked to various agents around the league and they advised that the comparables would have had him win his arbitration case.

The Oilers did not overpay they paid him what he would have get if he filed.

He had arbitration rights and contracts awarded recently in that range. Fans can pretend that they weren't comparables but fans would be fooling themselves.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post

We aren't the Detroit team of the late 90s to 2000s. But if you follow their model for many years they only had a good goalie that didn't screw up much.

There were only a few years with a Cujo or Hasek in goal.

The rest of the time they had Osgood and other goalies that weren't outstanding, along with amazing team D.

I grew up watching Fuhr so I do appreciate a great goalie, but if a team can build a system around a decent goalie that works too.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:56 AM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Just another terrible contract, to say the least. That makes 3 of the current regulars
At least this one is only 2 years. So if they Oilers want they have 2 years to look for a good replacement goalie if it is needed. It won't be the contract that makes it so the Oilers are unable to resign one of they young forwards of the future so we don't need to worry about a slight overpay now.

At this point if your name is Darryl Katz, and you didn't like paying that much for Dubnyk you can be annoyed at the Oilers. Other then that it is really being worried about nothing on a 2 year deal

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Obvious problem with this statement is that it takes more than just plunking down some cold cash on the position. We're paying this amount for two mediocre goalies neither of which has been anywhere good enough here to be earning this kind of coin.

Khabi was at least paid for the past, and what he did demonstrate. So in some sense that can be considered at least a performance based contract (albeit a predictably bad one) Dubnyk is being paid handsomely on the basis of a non occurrence, something that hasn't happened yet, and a presumption that good results will follow.

We'll see about that. I see this as a Todd Marchant type contract. The one that takes a player that is elevating his game, who then gets overpaid, who then struggles because he feels he has to play to that value.

Its an absolute certainty that fans here will turn on Dubnyk at some point and largely through this contract. When the bad goals continue to occur(as they have throughout Dubnyks career) the boo birds will be out and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with that. It is significant that even in the absence of pressure Dubnyks games feature moments where he gets rattled, loses his confidence, and starts making weird plays. Throw some pressure at this 26yr old and I worry how it turns out.

Good thing its only two years.

That last sentence will be quotable.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Obvious problem with this statement is that it takes more than just plunking down some cold cash on the position. We're paying this amount for two mediocre goalies neither of which has been anywhere good enough here to be earning this kind of coin.

Khabi was at least paid for the past, and what he did demonstrate. So in some sense that can be considered at least a performance based contract (albeit a predictably bad one) Dubnyk is being paid handsomely on the basis of a non occurrence, something that hasn't happened yet, and a presumption that good results will follow.

We'll see about that. I see this as a Todd Marchant type contract. The one that takes a player that is elevating his game, who then gets overpaid, who then struggles because he feels he has to play to that value.

Its an absolute certainty that fans here will turn on Dubnyk at some point and largely through this contract. When the bad goals continue to occur(as they have throughout Dubnyks career) the boo birds will be out and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with that. It is significant that even in the absence of pressure Dubnyks games feature moments where he gets rattled, loses his confidence, and starts making weird plays. Throw some pressure at this 26yr old and I worry how it turns out.

Good thing its only two years.

That last sentence will be quotable.
Playing goal is much easier on a top flight team, and it is much easier to look good when you have solid defenders in front of you clearing pucks, reducing the quality chances, etc., and it's much easier to look bad when you don't. Dubnyk is far from being the problem on this team, and he has rarely even looked bad. He's been one of the brighter spots, in fact. He's also been a pretty good soldier these past two years, battling every game to give his team an opportunity to win, even when the team can't seize it. Now he's going to get an opportunity to take on a role of greater responsibility as number one.

Dubnyk's contract, as more media have addressed since Brownlee's knee-jerk reaction, is not out of line with the rest of the league. In my opinion DD has earned the starter role, and we'll have a much better perspective on this signing at the end of its term. Hands down, the goaltender is the most important (and difficult) position on a team.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:47 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 2735
My first reaction is that it is about 1.5mill too much a year. I know I may be in the minority, but if Habby does not get injured, DD is the back up. DD's numbers are not clear number 1 stats. He got double what Linback got in TB. Linback cap hit is 1.8 per year--I would have been happy with DD getting cap hit of 2.5 at most

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Playing goal is much easier on a top flight team, and it is much easier to look good when you have solid defenders in front of you clearing pucks, reducing the quality chances, etc., and it's much easier to look bad when you don't. Dubnyk is far from being the problem on this team, and he has rarely even looked bad. He's been one of the brighter spots, in fact. He's also been a pretty good soldier these past two years, battling every game to give his team an opportunity to win, even when the team can't seize it. Now he's going to get an opportunity to take on a role of greater responsibility as number one.

Dubnyk's contract, as more media have addressed since Brownlee's knee-jerk reaction, is not out of line with the rest of the league. In my opinion DD has earned the starter role, and we'll have a much better perspective on this signing at the end of its term. Hands down, the goaltender is the most important (and difficult) position on a team.
I think in 10-11 this would've been a tougher assignment backstopping this club. I think it got easier this season and particularly through the much improved play on pk, having guys that could play the role, and more guys being on board with playing both ends of the ice.

Horcoff had some help from Belanger this year at center quietly aiding the team in limiting scoring chances.(I was going to say chances against but its funnier, and much more astute, to just leave it as is) Gagner as I've mentioned worked on his own play and made improvements. Center is another important position and often is on both ends of the ice. We were much better at that position over all last season. We had a few D have good seasons as well.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully it turns out better than I expect.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
My first reaction is that it is about 1.5mill too much a year. I know I may be in the minority, but if Habby does not get injured, DD is the back up. DD's numbers are not clear number 1 stats. He got double what Linback got in TB. Linback cap hit is 1.8 per year--I would have been happy with DD getting cap hit of 2.5 at most
Yeah, thats one of my concerns is that Dubs didn't play well enough to earn the role. He struggled earlier and was thrown into the position due to the injury. Its not like he outperformed a healthy Khabi to become the starter.

2.5 I could live with. That would be the top end of what I would consider. If I was the Oilers I was offering 2M.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Personally, I think Dubnyk will become the clear number one this season, and also I think that this contract will also create some pressure and healthy competition with Khabi, which can only serve to help this team in the wins column. Khabi does thrive under pressure.

Linback may be a decent comparison in the future, but it's too early to tell, as he has only played 37 NHL games, and Dubnyk is about to take on primary duties. Linback clearly isn't at the same point a Dubnyk, so not really a fair comparison at the moment. Dubnyk has outplayed Khabi in the last two seasons.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote