HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton re-signs Devan Dubnyk (2 years, $3.5M per) & Jeff Petry (2 years, 1.75M per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
lefty2time*

vCash: 500
Isnt this like close to what Rask got?

Old
07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Did anybody say that Petry is as good as Erik Johnson? If so, they are obviously not playing with a full deck.
Seeing someone refer to EJ as Petry 2.0 seems a pretty good example. :shrug: I think Petry could have a bit of a breakout season this next season, but so far that contract he's getting is about par for the course for what he deserves. He was also smart to get the 2 years, so that he'll be due a nice raise if he does breakout.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Seeing someone refer to EJ as Petry 2.0 seems a pretty good example. :shrug: I think Petry could have a bit of a breakout season this next season, but so far that contract he's getting is about par for the course for what he deserves. He was also smart to get the 2 years, so that he'll be due a nice raise if he does breakout.
You have to combat trolling with trolling!

Old
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
OMGaudreau

If the Oilers feel Dubnyk is the guy to get them to 28th and then 27th spot, then more power to them.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Your fellow Oilers fan Eskimo44 is showing up in each thread about EJ spewing crap about how Smid and Petry are better than EJ.
Maybe you should take it up with him. it seems you are trying to generalize the whole fanbase's opinions because of a certain homer.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Whoyawit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Your fellow Oilers fan Eskimo44 is showing up in each thread about EJ spewing crap about how Smid and Petry are better than EJ.
Sometimes your going to find that some are a little too passionate for the Oilers and get a little ahead of themselves.
For the Oilers, Smid has developed into a hell of a shutdown guy while Petry looks to be a future stud. That is not to say they are better than your guy Bobby Orr, I mean EJ, but they sure aren't way worse.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
You have to combat trolling with trolling!
Yea...no. You don't.

Old
Gm0ney

Seems like the Oilers could've signed him for a lot less. But, with the recent signings (esp. Pavelec) Dubnyk's agent would be able to demand this type of money with a straight face as "fair market value".

Old
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
So that's why this thread is full of Av fans going bonkers? because of what one Oiler fan said?

cmon guys, that's ridiculous.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I remember the game in Colorado early last year with Dubnyk in net. He looked unbeatable. Then he came back a month later and **** the bed. He's a tough goalie to get a read on.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
Yea...no. You don't.
language of mathematics says 2 negatives = positive

Old
07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Yea...no. You don't.
Well I can't report him because that's his opinion.
So that was mine.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Eskimo always posts in favor of Oiler players. Every fanbase has posters like that,
That doesn't mean that the entire fanbase feels that way.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that EJ is a better player than Petry and will likely will always be,
Where did I accuse your entire fanbase of trolling?
I well aware that every fanbase has rotten apples including the Avs one.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Avs71

Quote:
So because one Oiler fan is a ridiculous homer, that makes it ok for Avs fans to troll this entire thread?
Nope, it doesn't. I wasn't trolling either. I was just pointing out why he wasn't serious before someone went off with a big post showing why Petry is obviously worth his new contract.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Kingler

Bad contract. He's not #1 and he's getting paid for the potential. Also, this is 2 years and putting him smack in the middle of UFA. So even if Dubnyk proves that he truly deserve this contract or better, Oilers might have to end up bidding for his service in 2 years time

I think i would feel better if the length was longer....like a 5 yr or something. But then if he turns into a real bust then its a bit to pay the rest of the way

Old
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Bad contract. He's not #1 and he's getting paid for the potential. Also, this is 2 years and putting him smack in the middle of UFA. So even if Dubnyk proves that he truly deserve this contract or better, Oilers might have to end up bidding for his service in 2 years time

I think i would feel better if the length was longer....like a 5 yr or something. But then if he turns into a real bust then its a bit to pay the rest of the way
So it should be longer or not and should be less if it was longer but it isn't so it's a bad contract because....?

If DD plays well this year, the Oil will simply extend him. Too many people trying too hard to find something to say at the risk of sounding ridiculous.

The Oil won't be contending this year, so this deal is find. A bit much? Maybe, but it really, REALLY doesn't matter. The Oilers show some confidence in their guy and hopefully it'll benefit them.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

7m over two years, wtf?

What terrible management by the Oilers brass.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

My first thought was that $3.5 AAV for an unproven goalie like Dubnyk is steep. I don't think Dubnyk is going to turn into a true starting goaltender. But then again, he hasn't exactly had a tremendous defense in front of him. And I've been wrong before...two years ago amidst rumors that Quick was available for trade, I was adamantly against the Flyers trading for him because I thought he was overrated and wouldn't turn into anything more than an average starter.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Bad contract. He's not #1 and he's getting paid for the potential. Also, this is 2 years and putting him smack in the middle of UFA. So even if Dubnyk proves that he truly deserve this contract or better, Oilers might have to end up bidding for his service in 2 years time.

I think i would feel better if the length was longer....like a 5 yr or something. But then if he turns into a real bust then its a bit to pay the rest of the way.
This contract is simply a vote of confidence to an improving goaltender.

It definitely is an overpayment at the moment, but odds are if Dubnyk does, in fact, become worthy of this contract, the Oilers are looking like a pretty good situation for him moving forward. I'm doubting his eyes will be wandering at that point.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:50 PM
vecens24

Yeah they overpaid Dubnyk, but in reality it's not a bad deal for the Oilers either. They have a lot of space, and will still have guys on like RNH, Yakupov, etc on cheap deals in that second year. It's not a huge deal in my opinion for the Oilers. Dubnyk certainly was a right place, right time kind of guy though here because he isn't worth 3.5, but hey if they think he's their guy and have money to spend, why not give him a vote of confidence?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

The tears of Av/Canuck fans are delicious

Old
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
You ppl don't get it, you pay Dubnyk for being crappy, reward him with 3.5, say he actually does good he's going to use that 3.5 as a benchmark and say hypothetically "well you paid me 3.5 when I sucked now that I had one good season I want 6.5"

Stupid Oilers brass for paying him Tuukka Rask money

Old
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
You ppl don't get it, you pay Dubnyk for being crappy, reward him with 3.5, say he actually does good he's going to use that 3.5 as a benchmark and say hypothetically "well you paid me 3.5 when I sucked now that I had one good season I want 6.5"

He was crappy? When was this?

I demand proof of this ridiculous claim!

Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
The tears of Av/Canuck fans are delicious
The tears of laughter??

Old
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
TheNewNorth
KingAir vs PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post

When did Dubnyk play bad again?

Closed Thread