HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton re-signs Devan Dubnyk (2 years, $3.5M per) & Jeff Petry (2 years, 1.75M per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
It's not like the Oilers had a choice. They couldn't trade him or have him hold out, might as well sign him to a contract that takes him to free agency.

They don't get Dubnyk signed and it's Khabibulin and Yann Danis in net next season. Oilers had no leverage. Guys like Schneider, Rask didn't have the leverage Dubnyk had because both their teams had other guys in the system that could potentially be number one goalies next season.

Might've been worth going to arbitration though.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullyoursocksup View Post
Wow Dubnyk has gotta be celebrating this one. Thats Rask, Schneider-level money, and he's far from being proven starter material.
Neither Rask nor Schneider are proven starter material either.

You only know if you have starter material after they've played a season as one.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post

You only know if you have starter material after they've played a season as one.
Which Rask actually has done.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Well according to TSN he hasnt been in the league since 09-10.

Perfect example of literally knowing nothing about a player and insulting for no reason
Here is the joke. Up here.

Here is your head. Down here.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:51 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Playing half a season 3 years ago? 60+ games in a season and you might have an argument.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:52 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
Hey Oiler fans what was the split for Khabby/Dubnyk? Did Khabby play the tougher games?

I watched Dubs a few times last year, a couple times he looked terrible and a couple he looked very good

He looked great in the last game vs Van when the Oilers team didn't show up
It was an odd season for splits. Dubnyk got the opening night start, which tells me that Oiler management was leaning to him to be the full time starter, but Khabiboulin had a Vezina like opening to the season before falling apart completely. It seemed like Renney was fooled by Khabiboulin's hot start and rode him way too much up until about Christmas, when his crappy play finally convinced Renney to leave him on the bench. Then Dubnyk got a majority of the starts. It really seemed that when he was the go to guy, he was a more confident and effective goalie than earlier when the Oilers were kind of forced into playing Khabiboulin. Being given the majority of starts seems to keep him on his game more. I expect him to play 60 games this year, if not more.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:

Did you miss the whole 2009/10 season, you know the one in which Rask played 45 games and led all NHL goalies in save percentage and GAA?

Old
07-06-2012, 06:57 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Did you miss the whole 2009/10 season, you know the one in which Rask played 45 games and led all NHL goalies in save percentage and GAA?
Was that the year he had the Stanley cup winning defence and team playing in front of him or was that the year after?

Old
07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I dont like the Dubnyk signing at all but he is getting a bad rap.

If Rask playing 45 games cements him as a starter how does Dubnyk playing 47 not. I mean obviously rask has better stats but thats not what were arguing

Old
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Man o man, no player gets seen through Oilers googles more then Petry.

Yes, he showed glimpses of being a good dman, but he also made some outrageous errors.
When Petry makes a blind up the middle pass, it get's choked up to "Rookie error"
When Horcoff has a clearing attempt that he banks of the glass hit a stantion and bouce to centre ice, and people are ready to burn his baby furniture.

I think Petry's contract is bang on...
This isn't saying much, but Petry was the Oilers best Dman for most of last season. $1.75M will be a steal.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
Hes as proven a starter as either guy you mentioned.
not really

Old
07-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I dont like the Dubnyk signing at all but he is getting a bad rap.

If Rask playing 45 games cements him as a starter how does Dubnyk playing 47 not. I mean obviously rask has better stats but thats not what were arguing
I never commented on Dubnyk's status (he was obviously Oilers #1 last season) as a starter, I was just responding to a poster who claimed that Rask didn't play as a starter in his previous seasons.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:17 AM
stingo

Numbers are a bit high on Dubnyk, aren't they?

Old
07-07-2012, 10:43 AM
jokerboysmith

To much for Dubnyk,
Was thinking around 2.0 then 2.5 - 4.5 over two years.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Bad contract. He's not #1 and he's getting paid for the potential. Also, this is 2 years and putting him smack in the middle of UFA. So even if Dubnyk proves that he truly deserve this contract or better, Oilers might have to end up bidding for his service in 2 years time

I think i would feel better if the length was longer....like a 5 yr or something. But then if he turns into a real bust then its a bit to pay the rest of the way
But you'll probably defend Berniers next contract.....

I've been through other recent signing threads and none of them are full of Oiler fans trolling that signing. Yet Leaf, King, Av, Flames, and Canuck fans just cant seem to get enough of Dubnyks 2 year deal for 3.5 million. Pretty pathetic. The cap is 70 million now. This is comparable to a 1.85 million contract in 05-06. He put up respectable numbers on the 29th place team with the ever popular "most pathetic defense in the NHL". Just for starting 40+ games behind that defense he deserves a raise.

14 pages of trolling and flaming

Last edited by Homesick: 07-07-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

I dont think that you can say a goalie is a proven start when they played barely over half the teams games. That is a 1a 1b situation to me

Old
07-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I dont think that you can say a goalie is a proven start when they played barely over half the teams games. That is a 1a 1b situation to me
So someone was arguing that Rask is a proven #1 starter. I guess you are in the "no he's not" camp then.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:12 PM
wahoyaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
So someone was arguing that Rask is a proven #1 starter. I guess you are in the "no he's not" camp then.
He's not, neither is Schneider or Dubnyk. They'll certainly get the chance to take over as starter this season though.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:20 PM
North

Petry's deal is terrific. We get to see if last season was a fluke. I don't think it was. I think he is going to out perform the contract and get a hefty raise when he negotiates his next one.

Dubnyk's deal is a little richer than I would have liked, but I think the Oilers were trying to send him a message. You are the number one and you are being paid like it, now go out and earn it. I think they noticed that Dubnyk plays far better and with confidence when he knows that he is the starter.

I'm glad it's only a two year deal and isn't crippling to the team. If he doesn't live up to the contract, maybe after the two years are up, Roy or Bunz can come in and be the starter.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:33 PM
NHL rumors guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Numbers are a bit high on Dubnyk, aren't they?

I Would say as he hasnt really proven him self.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
It's not like the Oilers had a choice. They couldn't trade him or have him hold out, might as well sign him to a contract that takes him to free agency.

They don't get Dubnyk signed and it's Khabibulin and Yann Danis in net next season. Oilers had no leverage. Guys like Schneider, Rask didn't have the leverage Dubnyk had because both their teams had other guys in the system that could potentially be number one goalies next season.

Might've been worth going to arbitration though.
That's totally backwards. The Oilers had all the leverage. What's Dubnyk going to do, sit the season out? Nobody is going to give him an offersheet worth more than $2m, which the Oilers match immediately.

They could have strengthened their position by buying out Khabibulin - then Dubnyk knows the Oilers are looking for another goalie - but even so, Dubnyk's choices were "sit season out", "sign 1-yr offer sheet for cheap", or "sign for what the Oilers thought fair".

Obviously Tambellini thinks $3.5m is fair for him.. Just like $1.75m is fair for a #6 dman like Sutton. Or a 3yd year for Belanger, the type of player that never gets a 3rd year to take him to 37.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:57 PM
hlaverty06

I never watched Dubnyk but I remember I was watching an Islanders game and he was letting some terrible goals in. But I guess based on numbers
He's not bad

Old
07-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Decent goalie but that's a lot of dough for someone like that. Oh well, the market is out of control so I guess it could have been $5 million the way things are going.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:15 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

914 save % on a brutal team. Overpayment yes but the oilers can afford it. With defense he will thrive watch

Old
07-07-2012, 02:54 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
you are aware that Dubnyk played 47 games last year? that's starting goalie numbers and more than what Khabby started. and DD has out performed Khabby the last 2 years in a row and posted decent numbers on a bad team. really, it's been Khabby's play that has dragged this team down the last couple of years and not DD. maybe an over payment, but he'll start about 60+ games next year, so he's worth it IMO.

Closed Thread