HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton re-signs Devan Dubnyk (2 years, $3.5M per) & Jeff Petry (2 years, 1.75M per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
With defense he will thrive watch
He may, but he'll need to be traded from the Oilers first.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
But you'll probably defend Berniers next contract.....

I've been through other recent signing threads and none of them are full of Oiler fans trolling that signing. Yet Leaf, King, Av, Flames, and Canuck fans just cant seem to get enough of Dubnyks 2 year deal for 3.5 million. Pretty pathetic. The cap is 70 million now. This is comparable to a 1.85 million contract in 05-06. He put up respectable numbers on the 29th place team with the ever popular "most pathetic defense in the NHL". Just for starting 40+ games behind that defense he deserves a raise.

14 pages of trolling and flaming
Simply stating that Dubnyk is being paid too much is not trolling, especially when it's a sentiment held by many Oiler fans in this very thread. You can explain why overpaying is okay for the Oilers in this situation but it doesn't mean it is not an overpayment.

A $1.85MM contract in '05-'06 would have been overpayment. Actually, a $1.85MM contract in '05-'06 would be a $3.29MM contract under a $70MM cap, so it would actually be more than $1.85MM. As I mentioned earlier, this is comparable to something like $3.1MM under last seasons cap.

It is an overpayment, plain and simple; however, we all understand that Oil fans are fine with it. Everyone needs to stop hiding behind "The cap went up" when explaining away over payments...you can overpay under both a $39MM cap and a $70MM cap.

As for the quality of Dubnyk's play, you may have a point about trolling in regards to that conversation. I won't comment because I don't watch enough Oilers games to intelligently discuss his level of play.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Jamin

I think everyone can agree he is overpaid. I was thinking 2-2.5 or maybe like 2.75. I dont like people saying its only 1 mil or oilers dont need the space. If everyone is only overpaid a little it still messes with the cap structure.

Having said all that Dubnyk isnt the street trash alot of people make him out to be. .916 and .914 on 30th and 29th place team is decent save percentage. He has 2 years to prove himself and if not hopefully the goalie free agent market will have a replacement or 1 or Bunz and Roy can develop.

As far as petry's contract oilers have been burned many times by a player having a good 40 games so im not in the camp calling it a steal. If he continues the rapid development of last year it will be an amazing contract but he could also regress

Old
07-07-2012, 03:59 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
we got us a comedian here!

Old
07-07-2012, 04:02 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Damn we overpaid huge. If only our GM gave him a 13 year contract so we could see a 2M AAV.

I remember when the Isles signed DiPietro to a ridiculous Minnesota/Vancouver-esque contract and it was seen as horrible and handcuffing. Apparently Wang was ahead of his time because now everybody's doing it.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:32 PM
North

Quote:
Have you looked at the Avs defense lately? It's not exactly filled with world beaters.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
This coming from an Avs fan LOL. Not a #1/2 dman on the entire team.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Good luck with Varlamov moving forward, Rockies94.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
ijk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
This coming from an Avs fan LOL. Not a #1/2 dman on the entire team.
It doesn't matter who says it aloud, but the Oilers D is not solid until proven otherwise. This coming from an Oilers fan, trans-atlantic, but still.

And yes, it's an overpayment. Deal with it.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijk View Post
It doesn't matter who says it aloud, but the Oilers D is not solid until proven otherwise. This coming from an Oilers fan, trans-atlantic, but still.

I don't think that any Oilers fans are saying otherwise but the vindictive comments and lazy jokes are getting old.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:05 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Simply stating that Dubnyk is being paid too much is not trolling, especially when it's a sentiment held by many Oiler fans in this very thread. You can explain why overpaying is okay for the Oilers in this situation but it doesn't mean it is not an overpayment.

A $1.85MM contract in '05-'06 would have been overpayment. Actually, a $1.85MM contract in '05-'06 would be a $3.29MM contract under a $70MM cap, so it would actually be more than $1.85MM. As I mentioned earlier, this is comparable to something like $3.1MM under last seasons cap.

It is an overpayment, plain and simple; however, we all understand that Oil fans are fine with it. Everyone needs to stop hiding behind "The cap went up" when explaining away over payments...you can overpay under both a $39MM cap and a $70MM cap.

As for the quality of Dubnyk's play, you may have a point about trolling in regards to that conversation. I won't comment because I don't watch enough Oilers games to intelligently discuss his level of play.
This. Just because the cap went up doesn't mean you start doubling everyone's salary. Dubnyk's getting paid way to much for what he's actually accomplished. He's put up solid stats but he gives way to many soft goals up. He's got a lot of work to do in the mental area. And he's also got to work on his stick handling or he'll end up like Bryzgalov.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
This. Just because the cap went up doesn't mean you start doubling everyone's salary. Dubnyk's getting paid way to much for what he's actually accomplished. He's put up solid stats but he gives way to many soft goals up. He's got a lot of work to do in the mental area. And he's also got to work on his stick handling or he'll end up like Bryzgalov.
true, ..but he's getting paid exactly what the market dictates. it is what it is, and he's getting what his peers are getting.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:16 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

what DD "actually accomplished" was pretty amazing the last 2 years considering the team he's had in front of him!

Old
07-07-2012, 09:33 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijk View Post

I never ever claimed the Oilers D was solid - far from it. But allow me to point out the hypocrisy in other teams fans if I could, please and thanks.

Dubnyk deserves extra pay for the rubber hes faced and the stats hes managed to scratch out from the dismal team in front of him. Its not like he's had a Boston or Vancouver set of defenders covering his ass and boosting his numbers...

Old
07-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Goom 35

When I saw this thread I actually gasped, followed by a whispered "what the..." and quickly clicked on it.

Skimming through looks like everyone agree's that this is a pretty big overpayment.

I've only watched Dubnyk play a few times, but young defense or not, he does not look very skilled at all and no where- and I mean NO WHERE- near Rask or Schnider. Hope for you Oiler fans, he lives up to this generous @$$ contract.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:59 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom 35 View Post
I've only watched Dubnyk play a few times,
and that's where I stopped reading or caring in your opinion.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:08 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
When I saw this thread I actually gasped, followed by a whispered "what the..." and quickly clicked on it.

Skimming through looks like everyone agree's that this is a pretty big overpayment.

I've only watched Dubnyk play a few times, but young defense or not, he does not look very skilled at all and no where- and I mean NO WHERE- near Rask or Schnider. Hope for you Oiler fans, he lives up to this generous @$$ contract.
you could have done a little research on Dubnyk before you opened your mouth. you blew it when you said..."i've only watched Dubnyk play a few times, but young defense or not, he doesn't look very skilled at all"...really? no skill at all after just a few viewings? and you spewed "NOWHERE" near Rask as a comp, talent wise! look up the kids stats will you please, like i had mentioned on a previous post here, from the last 2 years for the Oilers, on a horrid team, then tell us with a straight face he's "NOWHERE" near Rask! dumbest post i have read for a while..." i haven't seen him play much, but i think he sucks"....please!!

Old
07-08-2012, 12:16 AM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
you could have done a little research on Dubnyk before you opened your mouth. you blew it when you said..."i've only watched Dubnyk play a few times, but young defense or not, he doesn't look very skilled at all"...really? no skill at all after just a few viewings? and you spewed "NOWHERE" near Rask as a comp, talent wise! look up the kids stats will you please, like i had mentioned on a previous post here, from the last 2 years for the Oilers, on a horrid team, then tell us with a straight face he's "NOWHERE" near Rask! dumbest post i have read for a while..." i haven't seen him play much, but i think he sucks"....please!!
I swear half of these kids tossing around names have probably never watched much of any of them. They just 'heard' they were good and read Dubnyk was bad on HF and decided to regurgitate.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:18 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^so true! claiming someone sucks after you have only seen him a few times is utter nonsense!

Old
07-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Goom 35

SaskOil, do you think any of the people around here giving opinions are watching and monitoring every player and team for all 82 games?

Maybe when the Oilers finally make the playoffs(or how about just not LAST) I'll be more inclined to watch games with your super star goalie but from the brief sample I'm going off of he seemed marginal at best.

Then again maybe he was just "slumping" in the games I caught. Looks like everyone else around here thinks he's worth that contract.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
SaskOil, do you think any of the people around here giving opinions are watching and monitoring every player and team for all 82 games?

Maybe when the Oilers finally make the playoffs(or how about just not LAST) I'll be more inclined to watch games with your super star goalie but from the brief sample I'm going off of he seemed marginal at best.

Then again maybe he was just "slumping" in the games I caught. Looks like everyone else around here thinks he's worth that contract.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:04 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Just so we are correct:

Mpntreal paid price 6.5M
two years he averaged .920 save% top 10 goalie on a team averaged 9th place.
62W-40L-9(OTl) .599 PT%
Back-ups 29-14-8 .647 Pt%

3 years he averaged .912SV% on a team averaged 20th place.
62W-64L-26(OTL) .493 PT%
other goalies 49-34-11 .580 PT%

In all, 4 of the 5 years the other goalies on the team had better win %

Dubnyk was paid 3.5M
1 year of .890 Sv%
4W-10L-2OTL
2 years of .915 Sv% on a 30th place team on average.
32W-33L-11(OTL) .493 PT %
Back-up
25-52-11 .347 PT%

Dubnyk had a superior win% than the teams others goalies.

Can you imagine Dubnyk in front of a semi decent team.
Oh wait! when we started to get slightly healthy on D.
Smid-petry
whitney/Sutton - schultz
Peckham-potter/tuebert
Dubnyk went
16-11-4 2.47GA .920SV% .581 Win%

I suggest a fan of a team that has a goalie that is historically:
- not as ggod as the back-ups
- is below to average 60% of his career
should be questioning his own team.
halak maybe but budaj and huet.

Man I bought the MSM hype on Price but these numbers.
do you wonder below average?
top 10?
year to year.

I would expect no!
Cause since he has been starter.
he 100-92-32 .915 Sv%
his 3rd and 4th season as starter
64-56-17 .919 Sv%

As an oiler fan
I hope Dubnyk 3rd and 4th starter season continues in the .920-.924 sv% like jan. on.

Last edited by oilerbear: 07-08-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old
07-08-2012, 01:21 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Just so we are correct:

Mpntreal paid price 6.5M
two years he averaged .920 save% top 10 goalie on a team averaged 9th place.
62W-40L-9(OTl) .599 PT%
Back-ups 29-14-8 .647 Pt%

3 years he averaged .912SV% on a team averaged 20th place.
62W-64L-26(OTL) .493 PT%
other goalies 49-34-11 .580 PT%

In all, 4 of the 5 years the other goalies on the team had better win %

Dubnyk was paid 3.5M
1 year of .890 Sv%
4W-10L-2OTL
2 years of .915 Sv% on a 30th place team on average.
32W-33L-11(OTL) .493 PT %
Back-up
25-52-11 .347 PT%

Dubnyk had a superior win% than the teams others goalies.

Can you imagine Dubnyk in front of a semi decent team.
Oh wait! when we started to get slightly healthy on D.
Smid-petry
whitney/Sutton - schultz
Peckham-potter/tuebert
Dubnyk went
16-11-4 2.47GA .920SV% .581 Win%

I suggest a fan of a team that has a goalie that is historically:
- not as ggod as the back-ups
- is below to average 60% of his career
should be questioning his own team.
halak maybe but budaj and huet.

Man I bought the MSM hype on Price but these numbers.
do you wonder below average?
top 10?
year to year.
I understood your first paragraph but lost me completely after that.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:26 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:

Most people would generally have a clue about what they were talking about before opening their mouths and looking like a fool. I think it would be to your benefit to do so next time. It seems you're just regurgitating a tired opinion.

Haters gonna hate?

Old
07-08-2012, 01:27 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
I understood your first paragraph but lost me completely after that.
At least you tried.

Closed Thread