HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues resign David Perron 4yr/15.25 mil

Old
07-06-2012, 04:57 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
I was suprised at the length ( 4 years instead of 2 ) but had forgotten Perron is entering his 6th season with the Blues and would have been a UFA in 2014 so it's a great signing by Armstrong, and I'm happy DP57 will be around for awhile.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

From JR's piece:

Quote:
Perron believes he's past any lingering concussion problems and said that having the summer to work out, unlike last year, will make a dramatic difference when he arrives at training camp.

"I'm ways ahead of where I was at any point last year," he said. "I've been training like a maniac lately and feeling really good."

The winger said that he wants to return to his pre-injury form. Prior to the hit by San Jose's Joe Thornton on Nov. 4, 2010, leading to the concussion, Perron had five goals, two assists and a plus-minus rating of plus 7 in 10 games.

"When you look at the 10 games, I was really good not only on the offensive side of the puck but defensively I was really aware out there," he said. "I think last year, I showed some flashes of that, but I want to be really good on both sides of the puck and be really aware out there and obviously provide more offense, even more than I did last year."

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Perron just might be determined enough to be a star in this league. I don't think 65 points or more is out of the question. If he finds good chemistry with someone over the next couple years, he may peak at just under a PPG.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
PlagerBros*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
A great deal for us, but yet again we are backloading the contract. Hmm...
It's not "back loading" it's just a typical sports contract for a young player, increasing each year.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Perron just might be determined enough to be a star in this league. I don't think 65 points or more is out of the question. If he finds good chemistry with someone over the next couple years, he may peak at just under a PPG.
After the season i was one of the first people who proposed trading Perron. I didnt cut him much slack from returning from the concussion out of shape but if he can get into top knotch shape, he will be force for sure. Were actaully pretty lucky to have him, i hope he doesnt get injured bad again.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChChChChimo View Post
It's not "back loading" it's just a typical sports contract for a young player, increasing each year.
That may be, but it is still dressing it up, the contract is backloaded. We only have 4 players, excluding ELCs, signed through 2014/15. This coming season those 4 guys (Perron, Backes, Jax & Polak) earn $12.2m and in 2014/15 they earn $15.15m. That isn't an insignificant difference, and we also have to factor in all the raises to our RFA's adding to the salary between now and then as well.

If we are still going to be a budget team in 2 years, even if that budget is a little bigger, then it does present a problem.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:56 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
That may be, but it is still dressing it up, the contract is backloaded. We only have 4 players, excluding ELCs, signed through 2014/15. This coming season those 4 guys (Perron, Backes, Jax & Polak) earn $12.2m and in 2014/15 they earn $15.15m. That isn't an insignificant difference, and we also have to factor in all the raises to our RFA's adding to the salary between now and then as well.

If we are still going to be a budget team in 2 years, even if that budget is a little bigger, then it does present a problem.
You are forgetting to factor the decreases in salaries as well. Jackman just took a paycut, guys like Langenbrunner and McDonald will either not be with the team, or have taken a paycut by that point. Players like D'Agostini, Sobotka, or Arnott might leave via free agency to pursue a larger role on a different team.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
You are forgetting to factor the decreases in salaries as well. Jackman just took a paycut, guys like Langenbrunner and McDonald will either not be with the team, or have taken a paycut by that point. Players like D'Agostini, Sobotka, or Arnott might leave via free agency to pursue a larger role on a different team.
I am comparing 2012/13 to 2014/15; the Jax paycut, Langenbrunner and Arnott don't come into that because they aren't on the books for the coming year (at least yet).

You can talk about Sobotka, D'Agostini and whoever else leaving, but their roster places will still need to be filled. McDonald will be gone, along with his $4.2m salary for the coming season, but if Pietrangelo gets a contract around $6.5m then that is a rise in the amount we are paying him of around $5m... so there goes that saving and we still have a roster place to fill. Plus the raises to Shattenkirk, Berglund and maybe Stewart, Russell and Cole getting modest bumps.

It isn't like it isn't manageable, it is just somewhat odd that we aren't trying to somewhat offset the significant rise by frontloading some deals.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
MU_Beerman

Quote:
I am comparing 2012/13 to 2014/15; the Jax paycut...don't come into that because they aren't on the books for the coming year (at least yet).
Huh?

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman View Post
Huh?
Jackman is earning $3m next season and $3.25m in the following years. The fact that he earned $3.5m last season doesn't come into it, because it isn't on the books for 2012/13... the $3m is.

The point I am making is that it is all well and good that our costs are being kept to a minimum for the coming season, but the delayed salary commitments are going to catch up on us. As long as there is a certainty that we are going to be in a position to deal with that, then it doesn't matter in the slightest how the contracts are structured.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Glad to see my 2nd favorite Blue kept.

Now onto my favorite.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:39 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It's true that the salaries go up a little bit, but here's the plan. Either the team by then is contending deep into the postseason where they're generating their own revenue with home playoff dates or they have to move an established guy for a player on an ELC. If they're not contending deep I don't think any of us will be resisting such a trade. So I think it'll play out relatively naturally.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Jackman is earning $3m next season and $3.25m in the following years. The fact that he earned $3.5m last season doesn't come into it, because it isn't on the books for 2012/13... the $3m is.

The point I am making is that it is all well and good that our costs are being kept to a minimum for the coming season, but the delayed salary commitments are going to catch up on us. As long as there is a certainty that we are going to be in a position to deal with that, then it doesn't matter in the slightest how the contracts are structured.
Its Armstrong's philosophy. But you also have to recognize that a playoff caliber team during that span is going to steadily increase revenue...and that the salary cap WILL go up. It may not rise every year, and it may go down one time with the new CBA. But over the next 5 years its going to trend up with inflation, etc.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
InjuredChoker

Congrats guys, solid price for you.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote