HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

JVR to start training camp at C

Old
07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
RPeeters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

This is what I'd say to Burke or whoever did this. What is this 1980? You don't just throw random players at centre cos they're big. Hope this is just an experiment, would be nice if it's a successful one but you don't do that on the 1st line C, maybe the 3rd.
I know right? Who does Carlyle think he is? Who hired this bum off the streets when we have you.

I wonder who knows more about JVR, you or Carlyle? It may or may not work but I'll take the chance that Carlyle knows what he's doing

RPeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I personally think the person who will steal that spot out of camp is probably Colborne.
I could see it happening, kid has an awesome work ethic. Read in an article in the Globe and Mail that he is trying to get to 225 or 230 for camp.

This move means that Kadri will be a winger?

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
8 career faceoffs taken. Should be interesting to see how he manages the dot. Other than that one single aspect, I think he's well attributed for the position. Interesting.
I agree with you Tootoo Train

The season couldn't start quick enough!

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
teddygmr

Mark Messier played his first couple seasons at left wing, then moved to Centre!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
All depends on how much he works on faceoffs this summer. Its alot easier to learn on the job when you're winning the draw for two ppg wingers.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
MoeMoney

This is a great move.

He hasn't exactly tore up the NHL playing LW either so it's not like where doing any damage by switching his position. He was drafting 2nd overall for his success at College which, ironically, is when he was playing Centre so this doesn't hurt at all. He played LW in Philly because they had a need for that position so they moved him over, just like we're doing only it's more his natural position this time.

Lupul- van R - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - Kulemin

Not bad at all.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:23 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Call me an optimist but I think this'll work out. He didn't get the opportunity in Philly because, well, they had a glut of good centers already.

One more thing, Lupul is a LW now -- he's not getting moved. Carlyle admitted he made a mistake not giving him a shot there during their tenure together already. The plan is also to go with McClement as #3 C and Steckel as #4. I know things aren't set in stone but that's the way things are shaping up and that's the way I think they'll stay (barring injuries of course)

Old
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Or we deal Bozak and throw Connolly in the three spot?
Not a bad idea. Bozak is better than Connolly IMO. Competes better. But Connolly has zero value and both are UFA after this season.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Cmillz

Someone explain to me how you are fashioning a young winger into an NHL ready first line center?

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

can someone tell me why JVR was drafted as a center, but played the wing in the Philly organization?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Mark Messier played his first couple seasons at left wing, then moved to Centre!
Sundin played wing in Quebec

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:27 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Someone explain to me how you are fashioning a young winger into an NHL ready first line center?
Simply put?

What skill-set does said player provide and whether that skill-set could be applied to that role. I know it's easier to move from wing to center but it's not as outlandish as people think

Old
07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
birddog*

Quote:
He's a top 6 forward when healthy. Has proven he can play at a high leve -- see playoffs. He played center his entire life until arriving in the NHL. They moved him because of Carter, Richards, Briere and Giroux. He's responsible defensively, has the size and speed to handle NHL forwards down low.

Basically he'll have to do until the Getzlaf trade is finalized.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
can someone tell me why JVR was drafted as a center, but played the wing in the Philly organization?
He was drafted as a winger. He may have played some centre, but he spent more time on the wing and he was expected to be a LWer in the NHL.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I don't think this guy is a centre. This is probably another Burke smokescreen because he's in trade negotiations for a centre and getting squeezed.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Steckel and McClement have roster spots in the 3 & 4 spot as I see it. Both strong on faceoffs and good defensive centers. I don't see Bozak or Connolly fitting in the bottom 6 because neither of them are great on the PK.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

or it could be that Grabo is involved in a trade for Getzlaf:

hb:
On the Leafs trade...

I have been tracking this possible trade and while info is sketchy I know this is NOT for Luongo or Nash (note: Luongo is very much being discussed with Toronto and Nash isn't....as of now) I am hearing this trade is for a top line center with size. A few have theorized the player may be Getzlaf...but no one has confirmed that name as of this time...

More to come..

lupul getz kessel
mac JVR kuli
deschamps connolly frattin
brown mcclement orr

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:39 PM
ChuckWoods

I am okay with this decision as long as he can adjust.

He was a Centre in College, and would have been drafted as a wing even at the #2 slot, but what really impressed some scouts (from what I remember) is that during his draft year while he was playing in the WJC for USA, they tried him at the Wing spot so he could be paired with Colin Wilson.

They were very dominant in that tournament and obviously Philly managment felt strongly enough about his transition that they would continue him there for the remainder of his development within the organization.

Obviously he's a bit behind on the adjustment and understanding of what it takes to be an NHL calibre Centre, but he's got the tools and he's played it before.

He's got good hockey IQ from what I have heard, and shouldn't have any issues at least understanding what he needs to do to become effective. Whether or not that takes will obviously be determined later.

He has the defensive capabilities and determination, its whether or not he's more effective there than along the wall as a wing. If he's also struggling on faceoffs, he has great mentors in Steckle and McClement to help ease that deficiency, but they wont keep him there too long if he's losing too many.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 07-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.
ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
8 career faceoffs taken. Should be interesting to see how he manages the dot. Other than that one single aspect, I think he's well attributed for the position. Interesting.
This is hilarious. Basically it will go down like this.
JVR loses face off
Opposition pushes the puck into leaf zone
Kessel line is hemmed in their zone for a minute
They finally clear zone are gassed and trade off

BTW kessel failed a centre on the leafs previously. Like Kessel JVR is playmaker, not great on faceoff but JVR is a better defensively and has a bigger body but I can't believe Carlyle is serious about this. Proabably creating competition on the team for the 1C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
They had an overload of centers that included Carter, Richards, Brierre, Giroux. After Carter/richards left, they still had Brierre and Giroux as the top 2 centers, so there was no spcae for JVR.
That just means JVR is not a #1C, heck not even a #2C on a good flyers team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
It's the plan now but that's because he's the only option

Burke sounded pretty confident he could land a center and a goalie this offseason
Burke sounded confident he could retool this team in accelerated manner. That's just Burke blowing hot air and words that mean nothing.

Last edited by number72: 07-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.
number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Whydidijoin*

Worth a try at least. I wonder where all the people saying there was no plan are.

My only concern is that I think it means the end of Bozak, who is a lot better than he is given credit for and his likely trade value.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
This is hilarious. Basically it will go down like this.
JVR loses face off
Opposition pushes the puck into leaf zone
Kessel line is hemmed in their zone for a minute
They finally clear zone are gassed and trade off

BTW kessel failed a centre on the leafs previously.

That just means JVR is not a #1C, heck not even a #2C on a good flyers team.
Nobody knows how it'll work out, might want to hold back your hypothetical negativity until it actually happens.

Just because Kessel failed at centre doesn't mean JVR will fail.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
cujo931

I don't know how long it will last, maybe 2-3 games, maybe the whole year.
But some coaches like a deffensive line that has 2 ceterman. With jvr #1 grabo #2 mcclement #3 and stecke #4, based on burkes comments. Then that could mean bozak and the 3rd line right wing spot. Like I said some coaches like a defensive line with 2 centerman for a couple of reasons, like if it's a stronger guy, or what side there in, if one gets kicked out, offensive end, defensive end, stuff like that. So I could se bozak on the checking line with mcclement. Also Carlyle in anahiem had phallson and niedermayer, a left and right. And last year it was steckel and connolly.

So that's my guess....

cujo931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I think they'll try him at centre, realize it was a mistake, and then shift him to wing.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Nobody knows how it'll work out, might want to hold back your hypothetical negativity until it actually happens.

Just because Kessel failed at centre doesn't mean JVR will fail.
It doesn't mean he will be successful either but just that the history suggest that the odds are against him.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

He didn't play it at UNH nor Philly but could be interesting.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote