HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Why no Kamensky-Bykov-Khomotov line in NHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2012, 06:42 AM
  #1
SergeiMakarovStyle
Registered User
 
SergeiMakarovStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Why no Kamensky-Bykov-Khomotov line in NHL?

Why didnt any NHL clubs sign this line in NHL? This line dominated in canada cup 1987 and rendez vouz 1987.
Im sure they would make a huge impact if they played in the same line in NHL.

SergeiMakarovStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:25 AM
  #2
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,499
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
they were all drafted by Nordiques, only Bykov and Khomutov due to lack of size and for the sake of comfort chose to sign up in Swiss.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:11 AM
  #3
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
they were all drafted by Nordiques, only Bykov and Khomutov due to lack of size and for the sake of comfort chose to sign up in Swiss.
They proved that their skills matched any NHL players of their era, and they were tough guys for their size, but they realized that they would have been fish out of water in the mucking and grinding NHL style of game. Krutov was bigger and tough enough to play in the NHL, but I think the hostile fan reaction he received dissuaded him from pursuing his NHL career. In December 1989, CSKA beat Vancouver 6-0 in Vancouver while Krutov and Larionov were "rookies" with the Canucks. Every time Krutov's skates touched the ice, the fans booed him in unison. The Bykov line played for CSKA that night, and they saw and heard Krutov being crucified by the fans. I have no doubt that that affected their decision not to play in the NHL.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
  #4
SergeiMakarovStyle
Registered User
 
SergeiMakarovStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
They proved that their skills matched any NHL players of their era, and they were tough guys for their size, but they realized that they would have been fish out of water in the mucking and grinding NHL style of game. Krutov was bigger and tough enough to play in the NHL, but I think the hostile fan reaction he received dissuaded him from pursuing his NHL career. In December 1989, CSKA beat Vancouver 6-0 in Vancouver while Krutov and Larionov were "rookies" with the Canucks. Every time Krutov's skates touched the ice, the fans booed him in unison. The Bykov line played for CSKA that night, and they saw and heard Krutov being crucified by the fans. I have no doubt that that affected their decision not to play in the NHL.
If that line played in NHL im sure they would do alot of damage. They were better than the #99 #66 line in 1987 in canada cup, imagine what they could do vs avarage nhl line.

SergeiMakarovStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:06 AM
  #5
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiMakarovStyle View Post
If that line played in NHL im sure they would do alot of damage. They were better than the #99 #66 line in 1987 in canada cup, imagine what they could do vs avarage nhl line.
I totally agree! They were incredibly skilled, worked together like a fine watch, and they had an uncanny knack for avoiding heavy checks while aggressively pursuing the net.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
  #6
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
I understood that the main reason was Tikonov.

When the separation between Russia and the Western world disapeared, Tikonov recomended the hockey players to come to Switzerland. Which is what Bykov and Komoutov did.

They would be more available for the Russian team. Since NHL finishes in june-july.

They actually got great contracts with Fribourg Gotteron and stayed their until retirement.
They became legends here.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
  #7
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I understood that the main reason was Tikonov.

When the separation between Russia and the Western world disapeared, Tikonov recomended the hockey players to come to Switzerland. Which is what Bykov and Komoutov did.

They would be more available for the Russian team. Since NHL finishes in june-july.

They actually got great contracts with Fribourg Gotteron and stayed their until retirement.
They became legends here.
I know they played for the Soviet National team in the 1990 World Championships, but it seems to me that Khomutov and Bykov didn't play for the national team after that. I'll try to look that up and tell you what I found.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:57 AM
  #8
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
I'm sure I remember them playing for the United team at the 92 Olympics and for Russia at the 93 WC.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
  #9
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I'm sure I remember them playing for the United team at the 92 Olympics and for Russia at the 93 WC.
You're right. I was going on memory, and I forgot about the '92 Olympics and the '93 World Championships. My bad!

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
  #10
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer
 
khlman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Also, remember Kamensky was about 5 yrs younger than Bykov and Khomutov.

khlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
  #11
Peter25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I know they played for the Soviet National team in the 1990 World Championships, but it seems to me that Khomutov and Bykov didn't play for the national team after that. I'll try to look that up and tell you what I found.
Bykov and Khomutov played in the national team after 1990. They were part of the Olympic team in 1992 and the World Championships teams in 1993 and 1995.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.