HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Biggest #1 overall flops of the post WHA era

View Poll Results: The biggest #1 overall flop of the post WHA era
Brian Lawton 18 17.48%
Alexandre Daigle 50 48.54%
Bryan Berard 0 0%
Patrik Stefan 28 27.18%
Gord Kluzak 7 6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 500
Biggest #1 overall flops of the post WHA era

Who you think?

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
vadim sharifijanov

not saying kluzak and berard would have been superstars, but they looked like good players on the way to becoming very good players but were derailed by injuries. not so different from rick dipietro.

i'd add doug wickenheiser to this list though. not sure i saw enough of them to rank wickenheiser, lawton, daigle, and stefan as NHL players, but relative to expectations, daigle "flopped" the most.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Wrath

Daigle...

Hyped to be the next superstar, i.e. crosby levels of hype. Drafted over Chris Pronger and Paul Kariya....

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
Daigle...
...yepp. Ditto on Daigle.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
adsfan

Didn't Bryan Berard get his eye poked out? Why is he in this poll?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:29 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Stefan wasn't a flop. He wasn't even projected as the #1 for that year. It was considered a very weak draft class outside of the Sedins, who were projected to go 1 and 2, but teams generally didn't want to take a chance on just one, since they said they wouldn't play in the NHL unless they could play together.

Nobody really expected too much out of Stefan.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I'd take Berard's career over Rick Dipietro's to this point

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Ed Wood

I thought Kluzak was very good. Not #1 pick good but better than everyone else on the OPs' list. Berard was decent as well before the eye injury.

I think it comes down to Lawton or Stefan. Alexandre Daigle topped 50 points his rookie season and twice more in his career. Lawton topped 40 points three times and Stefan hit 40 once. I'm going to go with Lawton though because he played in a higher scoring period and because he was drafted ahead of Steve Yzerman and Pat Lafontaine.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Stefan wasn't a flop. He wasn't even projected as the #1 for that year. It was considered a very weak draft class outside of the Sedins, who were projected to go 1 and 2, but teams generally didn't want to take a chance on just one, since they said they wouldn't play in the NHL unless they could play together.

I recall the Hockey News projecting him to be a playmaking center topping out at 100 points. I think there were high hopes for him. Nothing special, but a legit #1 star. I think I pick Stefan because there is little to choose from between him and Daigle so I'll go for a little more drama here and say the thing that puts it over the top for me is the aborted empty net goal, falling to the ice and coughing the puck up and having the Oilers tie the game at the buzzer. You cannot write that script.

But in all honesty, Pavel Brendl was in that same draft. He went 4th overall but had some projections to go #1. He scored 73 goals in his draft year for the Calgary Hitmen. 73! That was more than Crosby. But his work ethic was terrible, as was his skating. He had 22 points in 78 NHL games and spent the last part of the decade pressure free over in Europe. He wasn't a #1 pick, but if he was on this poll, I choose him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Daigle. Berard had some terrible injuries, and Stefan was in one of the worst drafts of all time.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:40 PM
green lantern

I don't understand the logic of putting Berard there but not DiPietro. DiPietro wasn't even good when he was healthy.

Seems the only rational argument for putting Daigle as a bigger bust than Stefan was the draft class.

Stefans BEST season was 40 points in 82 games which equalled fewer points per game than Daigles career average (327 points in 616 games). Stefan finished with 188 points in 455 games.

Kluzak should get a pass due to injuries. Though even with the injuries he finished his career with a higher points per game average than Stefan as a DEFENSEMAN.

green lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by green lantern View Post
DiPietro wasn't even good when he was healthy.
Yes, he was. However, he never reached what he was expected.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:23 AM
seventieslord

Berard was horrible defensively and is massively overrated by some due to his nice "hockey card stats"... but he is definitely the odd man out here. Best career out of these 5, by a wide margin. Pretty sure he was the NHL's leader in Points per game by a defenseman once.

(oops, just checked, he was .01 behind Gonchar for the lead in 2004)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:30 AM
seventieslord

Also, not sure why Alexandre Daigle has 13 votes and Lawton and Stefan have 6 combined. Daigle was as one-dimensional as they come, but at least the dude was top-3 on an NHL team in scoring four times, and led a team once. Lawton and Stefan both peaked at 4th on their teams. Daigle ended up with 0.57 adjusted PPG compared to their matching 0.45s, and he averaged that for more games than either of them managed. Neither of them possessed any intangibles that would make up the obvious talent gap, and surprisingly they both have worse playoff resumes than Daigle's 2 points in 12 games!

Old
07-06-2012, 12:33 AM
seventieslord

I wouldn't vote for him, but Doug Wickenheiser makes a lot more sense here than Daigle. The guy had a career average of 0.40 APPG. It appears he was a competent penalty killer and at least contributed to a semifinalist, but at his best he was 6th on an NHL team in scoring.

Kluzak was an unfortunate series of injuries. You want a poll about the actual worst #1 picks of the post-WHA era? Make it Lawton, Stefan and Wickenheiser.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post

This is a total falsehood that has turned into a truism on HFBoards, i.e. something that people started claiming and others started repeating. There's about as much truth to it as the "McCreary never played another game after leveling Gretzky" myth.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Two sens, with one forgotten about

Phillips isn't exactly you average NHL 1st overaller either. If we use the weak draft excuse, take Stefan out

Leafs87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:08 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Two sens, with one forgotten about

Phillips isn't exactly you average NHL 1st overaller either. If we use the weak draft excuse, take Stefan out
Phillips is still an excellent 1000 game shutdown defenseman. He's not close to the worst 1st overall pick.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Wrath

I may be (unintentionally) biased against Daigle due to those who got skipped over for first pick that year...

Oh and of course his classic quote "I'm glad I got drafted first, because no one remembers number two"

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
This is a total falsehood that has turned into a truism on HFBoards, i.e. something that people started claiming and others started repeating. There's about as much truth to it as the "McCreary never played another game after leveling Gretzky" myth.
If I recall correctly, the only issue there was with the Sedins going into the draft involved how well they'd be able to play apart from each other. They'd been linemates for over 10 years and obviously had developed an unprecedented amount of chemistry, and they were looking at acclimating to the NHL without their best linemate.

I'm curious to know when the first incarnation of "they wouldn't play on separate teams" came from....it's totally inaccurate, and I'd love to find out who started it.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:15 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Lawton in my opinion.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If I recall correctly, the only issue there was with the Sedins going into the draft involved how well they'd be able to play apart from each other. They'd been linemates for over 10 years and obviously had developed an unprecedented amount of chemistry, and they were looking at acclimating to the NHL without their best linemate.

I'm curious to know when the first incarnation of "they wouldn't play on separate teams" came from....it's totally inaccurate, and I'd love to find out who started it.
Could swear I recall the talking heads on tsn discussing it on the day the Sedins were drafted.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:18 AM
unknown33

Daigle was at least somehow decent, Stefan on the other hand could be called a borderline NHL caliber player.

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
JetsFanForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Also, not sure why Alexandre Daigle has 13 votes and Lawton and Stefan have 6 combined. Daigle was as one-dimensional as they come, but at least the dude was top-3 on an NHL team in scoring four times, and led a team once. Lawton and Stefan both peaked at 4th on their teams. Daigle ended up with 0.57 adjusted PPG compared to their matching 0.45s, and he averaged that for more games than either of them managed. Neither of them possessed any intangibles that would make up the obvious talent gap, and surprisingly they both have worse playoff resumes than Daigle's 2 points in 12 games!
Perhaps this is unfair to Daigle, but I voted for him and feel he was the biggest bust because of the hype that he was given leading up to the draft.

If you listened to all of the talking heads, he was the second coming of Gretzky/Mario, and he didn't even come close to anything like that.

Maybe a better way for me to say what I'm thinking is that he is the biggest disapointment from the group.

JetsFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFanForever View Post
Perhaps this is unfair to Daigle, but I voted for him and feel he was the biggest bust because of the hype that he was given leading up to the draft.

If you listened to all of the talking heads, he was the second coming of Gretzky/Mario, and he didn't even come close to anything like that.

Maybe a better way for me to say what I'm thinking is that he is the biggest disapointment from the group.
I don't understand. If Brian Lawton was a 1st overall pick, what did they think he was going to become?

It sounds like this is a symptom of 1) you remember it better, 2) hype in general has increased over time, and 3) there was no Mario/Wayne yet so Lawton couldn't have received hype like Daigle did.