HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Fayne Files For Arbitration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2012, 01:33 AM
  #51
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,069
vCash: 500
If we're sending Fayne out I want someone in return who's gonna help us now. Not picks. I really like Fayne.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:44 AM
  #52
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik
 
JerryGigantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
If we're sending Fayne out I want someone in return who's gonna help us now. Not picks. I really like Fayne.
Seconded with emphasis.

No way we trade one of our most dependable D men for futures.

I'd be okay, if a touch heartbroken, if he went as part of a deal for a top 6 forward, but hell nah when it comes to jettisoning him for picks.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:55 AM
  #53
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Seconded with emphasis.

No way we trade one of our most dependable D men for futures.

I'd be okay, if a touch heartbroken, if he went as part of a deal for a top 6 forward, but hell nah when it comes to jettisoning him for picks.
I'm not a huge proponent for trading picks. Never know what you're gonna get? Besides I'm hoping Tallinder is dealt. I would have to say he was our worst D man this season not including the Finals games. Just the first half before he went down injured with the blood clot in his leg. He did log top minutes though, but I remember a lot of giveaways, and not much clearing the crease.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:22 AM
  #54
DevilsAnimal*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm not a huge proponent for trading picks. Never know what you're gonna get? Besides I'm hoping Tallinder is dealt. I would have to say he was our worst D man this season not including the Finals games. Just the first half before he went down injured with the blood clot in his leg. He did log top minutes though, but I remember a lot of giveaways, and not much clearing the crease.
I like trading for picks, the team im trading with might not have the player I want

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:45 AM
  #55
Belizarius
Registered User
 
Belizarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tours, France
Country: France
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
I'm a huge Fayne fan.
Solid d-man, not a lot of mistakes, can log huge minutes vs star players and provide a little bit of offense at times.

Keep him, trade Tallinder.

Belizarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:02 AM
  #56
Devil X
Next man up!
 
Devil X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bergen County
Country: United States
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by 732DevilsFan View Post
4 year 6.5 or 7 mil total. I wouldn't mind that. If there is an amnesty clause in the new CBA where we can essentially get rid of a contract I'd be all for Volchenkov hitting the road. He's paid way to much for his one dimensional play. That and its been injury after injury with us.
I still dont believe for the life of me the NHL will do this and i dont think the NHLPA will allow it either.

I think you will see the cap stay where it is this year and then an agreement to drop it next summer or lock it in place for a few years before raising it again.

As for Fayne, NO WAY he should be traded, unless its a great package that helps us out. This was just protection as was said earlier.

"When you have time you use it." -Lou

He was tied up in Parise and now his "back up plan" Fayne's on the list and i full expect him to be a part of the Devils going forward and a big part at that.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:49 AM
  #57
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,763
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I just can't envision fayne being traded. He only has one full season under his belt of playing for a competent coach. He's only going to get better and he's already very solid.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:50 AM
  #58
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
It won't reach arbitration.
Agreed, this is just to give Fayne some leverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Trade him. Package him and hip him out, or get some kind of picks in return. We have D.
Nah, Fayne is the type of guy you build around. I don't want to trade him.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
  #59
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,074
vCash: 500
Middle paring, home grown, reasonably inexpensive guys are critical to the success of a team in the era of a hard salary cap. You absolutely need to lock this kid up.

But I totally understand the Devils giving him a qualifying offer, and of course he had to turn it down. It's just the way the game works.

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:54 AM
  #60
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist
 
MadDog172430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Could the Trade Fayne monkeys piss off already? Holy hell, I can't believe people want to trade our legitimate Top 4 defenseman who is only 25 and can still get better? You trade the guys past their prime, not the guys heading into it who have proven they can play in tough spots. Hell, he was practically the ONLY bright spot in the Johnny Mac era (shudders).

Fayne is the LAST defenseman I want to trade.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:54 AM
  #61
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,049
vCash: 500
I do not want Fayne to be moved

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
  #62
MakoSlade
Registered User
 
MakoSlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Fayne has exceeded all expectations and there are no indications that won't continue. I don't know what his upside is, but what he shows already is enough to lock him up. He played awesome in all situations, even on the big stage. I expect he gets signed in the low to mid 2 million range for a few years.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
  #63
Czech Trio
from jersey
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 500
Fayne is huge part of a future. He'll be a key 2nd pairing guy who eats minutes in the future.

The ages of our defensemen: 36, 35, 33, 30, 29, 29, 25, 19

So yeah unless were getting a younger d man in return or a top 6 winger I'd rather keep our younger d men (Fayne, Greene, Larsson)

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
  #64
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
Fayne is huge part of a future. He'll be a key 2nd pairing guy who eats minutes in the future.

The ages of our defensemen: 36, 35, 33, 30, 29, 29, 25, 19

So yeah unless were getting a younger d man in return or a top 6 winger I'd rather keep our younger d men (Fayne, Greene, Larsson)
Eh. He won't be half the player Merrill projects to be. If there is something valuable coming back the other way, you trade him. Suddenly, in year or two, with both Larsson and Merrill playing core minutes, Fayne doesn't look so important.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:32 AM
  #65
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Eh. He won't be half the player Merrill projects to be. If there is something valuable coming back the other way, you trade him. Suddenly, in year or two, with both Larsson and Merrill playing core minutes, Fayne doesn't look so important.
Yeah, but for those two years? If we want to stay a contender we're better off having him.

Plus at his age, imagine if we lock him up longer and he's playing 5-6th D-man and is there for injuries to the top guys? That's a seriously good thing.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:34 AM
  #66
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Yeah, but for those two years? If we want to stay a contender we're better off having him.

Plus at his age, imagine if we lock him up longer and he's playing 5-6th D-man and is there for injuries to the top guys? That's a seriously good thing.
I'd like to keep him because he is a stable, cheap piece but he's far from untradable.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
  #67
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I'd like to keep him because he is a stable, cheap piece but he's far from untradable.
He's certainly not untradable, but I'm not sure that the return is better than keeping him unless it's part of a package for an elite forward or seriously elite D.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
  #68
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist
 
MadDog172430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Eh. He won't be half the player Merrill projects to be. If there is something valuable coming back the other way, you trade him. Suddenly, in year or two, with both Larsson and Merrill playing core minutes, Fayne doesn't look so important.
If they're our top 2, who will be the middle pairing guy? That's right, Mark Fayne.

Not to mention this is projecting that Larsson and Merrill both reach their potential. Even if this is Fayne's potential, he's proven he can be counted on as a solid middle-pairing shutdown guy.

Keep in mind I'm saying he shouldn't be traded right now anyway. There'd be no point at the moment.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:42 AM
  #69
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Eh. He won't be half the player Merrill projects to be. If there is something valuable coming back the other way, you trade him. Suddenly, in year or two, with both Larsson and Merrill playing core minutes, Fayne doesn't look so important.
That's a big assumption to make though. You trade him when they pan out, not now.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
  #70
engy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 466
vCash: 344
I don't see what you guys are seeing in Fayne. He's a shutdown defensemen and there are plenty of those in the league. He doesn't score points and he isn't a physical threat. He does a solid job on defense although I think he can be lazy at times. Just because he came from the Devils system, doesn't mean he's a keeper.

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
  #71
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist
 
MadDog172430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by engy View Post
I don't see what you guys are seeing in Fayne. He's a shutdown defensemen and there are plenty of those in the league. He doesn't score points and he isn't a physical threat. He does a solid job on defense although I think he can be lazy at times. Just because he came from the Devils system, doesn't mean he's a keeper.
Because a well-groomed defenseman from our system at his age means there is no need to replace him at the moment? Not to mention he's proven in his first two years in the NHL that he can handle the workload. Who is to say Merrill won't flame out, or Burlon, or Gelinas or Urbom? We have no idea what prospects will hit and what ones will miss but Fayne has flourished in his short time in the bigs which is why he should be a keeper at this point in time.

I have no idea where you get the laziness idea from at all. He never shows that. I can't think of a time I noticed Fayne being lazy.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:57 AM
  #72
engy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 466
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
Because a well-groomed defenseman from our system at his age means there is no need to replace him at the moment? Not to mention he's proven in his first two years in the NHL that he can handle the workload. Who is to say Merrill won't flame out, or Burlon, or Gelinas or Urbom? We have no idea what prospects will hit and what ones will miss but Fayne has flourished in his short time in the bigs which is why he should be a keeper.

I have no idea where you get the laziness idea from at all. He never shows that. I can't think of a time I noticed Fayne being lazy.
We don't need to replace him, we have six other defensemen already. People overvalue youth. Fayne brings nothing besides defense. You never hear about him being a leader or being a locker room guy like Cam. And Devils just need one of the prospects to pan out for it to work out.

And I don't really need to prove anything to you. It's just my thought on watching Fayne play to say he's lazy.

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:03 AM
  #73
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Fayne needs to be more like Cam Janssen? Now I've heard everything.

Fayne's positioning is excellent, he is mobile and does well on the breakout, he pinches well and has some decent passing ability in the offensive zone, and with Greene he formed a great shutdown pairing this past season and playoffs. From a second player, you really cannot ask for much more.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
  #74
engy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 466
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Fayne needs to be more like Cam Janssen? Now I've heard everything.

Fayne's positioning is excellent, he is mobile and does well on the breakout, he pinches well and has some decent passing ability in the offensive zone, and with Greene he formed a great shutdown pairing this past season and playoffs. From a second player, you really cannot ask for much more.
That's still avoiding the question. Why keep him when you enough defensemen already instead of trading him, preferably for a forward or decent prospect.

If Larsson becomes a regular like Lou says he will be, Devils are paying at least 2 million for a guy to sit in the press box every game. Injuries can happen but is there a need to rely on that?

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
  #75
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by engy View Post
That's still avoiding the question. Why keep him when you enough defensemen already instead of trading him, preferably for a forward or decent prospect.

If Larsson becomes a regular like Lou says he will be, Devils are paying at least 2 million for a guy to sit in the press box every game. Injuries can happen but is there a need to rely on that?
Because Fayne isn't the odd man out on defence if we don't trade anyone (which we will). It's Harrold or Tallinder.

Fayne isn't a filler defenceman, he's the type of guy you need on the middle pairing of a contender. And I expect him to get better, as I said before, this is only his second year in the league.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.