HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fayne Files For Arbitration

Old
07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
engy

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Because Fayne isn't the odd man out on defence if we don't trade anyone (which we will). It's Harrold or Tallinder.

Fayne isn't a filler defenceman, he's the type of guy you need on the middle pairing of a contender. And I expect him to get better, as I said before, this is only his second year in the league.
Did Lou changed the way he operates? Harrold just resigned, what's the point in trading him now? And why is Tallinder the odd-man out instead of Fayne? To be honest, I think Tallinder is a more versatile defensemen because he can play both ways if the coaches let him. Not to mention, everyone completely forgot what he brings when he rejoined the Devils in the Finals.

And I could say insert name here is a guy you need for a contender. You trade good asset, you get good asset back. Simple.

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Because Fayne isn't the odd man out on defence if we don't trade anyone (which we will). It's Harrold or Tallinder.

Fayne isn't a filler defenceman, he's the type of guy you need on the middle pairing of a contender. And I expect him to get better, as I said before, this is only his second year in the league.
Yes, exactly. Fayne is in no way the odd man out with the number of defensemen that we have. He is not as redundant as some of the other defenders we have. (Tallinder more than the rest).

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Yes, let's trade away core players for picks.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by engy View Post
Did Lou changed the way he operates? Harrold just resigned, what's the point in trading him now? And why is Tallinder the odd-man out instead of Fayne? To be honest, I think Tallinder is a more versatile defensemen because he can play both ways if the coaches let him. Not to mention, everyone completely forgot what he brings when he rejoined the Devils in the Finals.
Because Fayne is the better defenceman, and a more valuable asset. If anyone is going to get traded, I think it should and will be Tallinder. Tallinder may have done alright in the Final, but Fayne was a rock for three rounds. He and Greene took the bulk of the minutes against opposing first lines. They shut down Giroux, Jagr and Hartnell, holding them to like two even strength points between them. They shut down Richards and Gaborik in the Rangers series, Gaborik's only goal was Marty scoring on himself.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
engy

Quote:
Because Fayne is the better defenceman, and a more valuable asset. If anyone is going to get traded, I think it should and will be Tallinder. Tallinder may have done alright in the Final, but Fayne was a rock for three rounds. He and Greene took the bulk of the minutes against opposing first lines. They shut down Giroux, Jagr and Hartnell, holding them to like two even strength points between them. They shut down Richards and Gaborik in the Rangers series, Gaborik's only goal was Marty scoring on himself.
I'm not saying Fayne is a better dman but is there a rule that you can't trade good players?

And for your information, Fayne averaged less than 20 minutes in the Finals and the third round and barely averaged more than 20 in the first round, including all those OT. He did well against Flyers but so did the rest of the team.

Sigh, it's so difficult to discuss anything when fans are so adamant about their players being the best. Suddenly, Fayne became a core player during his sophomore year. Zajac, Elias, Kovalchuk, Brodeur +..... Fayne?

Last edited by engy: 07-06-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
DEVILSEBO
Corners vs Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kulachuk View Post
Ummm I don't want to see money shelled out to this dime a dozen product of being coached by Larry Robinson. He's not much better than mike mattau so trade him now while he has value. Heck he's not even as good as Greene and Greene is pretty much another random motor devils dman from left field.
If you're serious then you have neve played the game. He's higher on the depth chart then Larsson (right now). The kid can flat out play. He's the kind of player you DON'T trade. Considering where he was drafted he's a freebie.

DEVILSEBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
I'm not saying Fayne is a better dman but is there a rule that you can't trade good players?

And for your information, Fayne averaged less than 20 minutes in the Finals and the third round and barely averaged more than 20 in the first round, including all those OT. He did well against Flyers but so did the rest of the team.

Sigh, it's so difficult to discuss anything when fans are so adamant about their players being the best. Suddenly, Fayne became a core player during his sophomore year.
he was injured, and JUST HAD ****ING SURGERY FOR IT.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Cowbell232

Fayne's a big mobile body, who doesn't act like he's handling a grenade and played in big situations for us all year. I'd say he's pretty damn close to a core player...

This has nothing to do with being an adamant fan, so please don't bother with that condescending nonsense...

Old
07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
DEVILSEBO
Corners vs Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
he was injured, and JUST HAD ****ING SURGERY FOR IT.
Seriously. The lack of ability to rate players and their abilities and discuss them on this site is embarrassing. I really wonder if people ever played the game competitively and not just mens leagues or open hockey.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Where did I say Fayne is the best? How have I come off as a Fayne fanboy? He is a solid defenceman, who is young and already playing at a high level, and should get better for the next couple years. Generally it's a better idea not to trade guys like that.

Out of the two of us, I'd say I'm the one being less unfair here.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
engy

More people avoiding the question of why not to trade Fayne for assets. Life goes in circles doesn't it?

Old
07-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
More people avoiding the question of why not to trade Fayne for assets. Life goes in circles doesn't it?
Because he is an asset? What would you suggest trading him for?

You could probably get some middle forward, which we don't really need - or package a deal together to get an elite forward, but we don't have many other assets that would be worth trading away as a package. Furthermore, if you trade him for a D, it's probably lateral at best and we still would have too many.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
engy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Because he is an asset? What would you suggest trading him for?
Please read any of my posts above.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Because Fayne is an underrated asset. GMs around the league aren't going to give up anything in trade that trumps the value he has to the Devils.

I've given you several reasons, but you're ignoring them all, calling me an "adamant fan", and then saying I'm avoiding the question.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
DEVILSEBO
Corners vs Cubes

Quote:
You don't trade Fayne because he's a young defenseman that has shown marked improvement over the last season plus. In addition, he logged major playing time on a cup finalist and played well while be injured in said run. You also don't trade him because he can play as high as your #4 dman and his cap hit is a joke for the next few years. It can't be anymore obivious. Let me know why you think he should be traded.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Please read any of my posts above.
Please read my edit of the post above.

I think you're completely missing the point. Why trade a middling asset for another one or for a gamble (prospect/pick)?

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
DEVILSEBO
Corners vs Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Please read my edit of the post above.

I think you're completely missing the point. Why trade a middling asset for another one or for a gamble (prospect/pick)?
Plus I can gurantee that what you get in return would cost more then 2mil (at most) against the cap.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
engy

Quote:
Because Fayne is an underrated asset. GMs around the league aren't going to give up anything in trade that trumps the value he has to the Devils.

I've given you several reasons, but you're ignoring them all, calling me an "adamant fan", and then saying I'm avoiding the question.
Is he being underrated by other GMs or overrated here? That's the question.

I don't take kindly to reasons like "I like Fayne better than Tallinder so trade Tallinder." If you want to use that argument use stats to back that up or prove there is no market for defensemen like Fayne.

I'm not against trading Tallinder either, I just think that Fayne has more value on the market than Tallinder for the reasons many of you stated above. And as for people demurring on the possibility of trading for a pick, all trades involve some sort of risk. It's shortsighted to only look at what you have.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

vCash: 50
So what will be the fare to stay on the "Fayne Train"?

Lou's Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Missionhockey

No matter the outcome of Fayne's arbitration he will likely be making less than Tallinder. I say either Volchenkov or Tallinder are gone by the begining of training camp. I hope its Tallinder because he's older and he's redundant. Fayne is not likely to be a "core piece" IMO. I value him similar to somebody like Colin White. If Colin White was how you viewed the Devils' "core" then he is a part of it, just a matter of perspective.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

So the prevailing opinion in this thread is :

Mark Fayne will NOT make it to Arbitration?

Am I right in thinking that?

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
So the prevailing opinion in this thread is :

Mark Fayne will NOT make it to Arbitration?

Am I right in thinking that?
I would hope so. He's looking for more than a 110% raise, and last season was more than enough evidence that he's earned it.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Fayne's arbitration filing is just for leverage in his negotiations with Lou. Very slim chance he actually gets there, I think.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Chico Eats

I think this was the plan the whole time. Give him a qualifying offer, figure out how much we're going to spend on Parise, Sal, and Marty, and then get back to Fayne. He's such a horse and he isn't at the point in his career yet where he can really ask for HUGE money. We can definitely get him for $2.5 per for 3 or 4 years and he should be happy about it. He's been in the league for 1 1/2 seasons, he can't ask for elite money yet, and the 3 or 4 years is a good timeframe for him to show off his stuff and prove that/if he's worth big money.

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Count me on the Fayne Train, a member of Fayne Nation, a Fayniac, etc. I never understood all the hate he gets on twitter. He's one of my choices for if I get another Devils jersey sometime.

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote