HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Who would you play him over right now? He's not as good as Redden at this point.

I think you're jumping the gun on assuming how Hitchcock will manage the 7 defenders this season. Cole will play enough to have a chance to continue developing. But its up to Cole to force Hitchcock to play him through being one of the top 6 guys. He hasn't done it yet, and I would argue that he HAS had chances to do so.
First I disagree I think they have both played well. Thought Cole looked very good in the action he seen this year. It sure didn't help that Pie was making some very un Pie like plays (missed open hit at the red line).

Right now, I would play him over Russell. For a guy who is a puck mover, he can't even get on the PP. I have been very unimpressed with his play. Gets beaten pretty easily.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post

You said "not a chance" on the trade idea. Mike Liut asked which team would say it's "not a chance," and you answered "PocketNines." I called it nonsensical because I am not a team in the National Hockey League, much less one of the two would-be teams here, Colorado or the St. Louis Blues.
Sorry, I didn't interpret what he meant by "not a chance from who" in the way he was asking. The answer I should have gave him was: St. Louis. There is no way St. Louis would give up Schwartz + Cole for ROR. THAT is nonsensical at this point.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Who would you play him over right now? He's not as good as Redden at this point.

I think you're jumping the gun on assuming how Hitchcock will manage the 7 defenders this season. Cole will play enough to have a chance to continue developing. But its up to Cole to force Hitchcock to play him through being one of the top 6 guys. He hasn't done it yet, and I would argue that he HAS had chances at do so.
Redden definitely gives the Blues a better chance at getting the win at this point. And there is a good argument to be made that Cole has been given his chance. I probably should of said I do not think he has done anything to take himself out of the lineup. Redden deserves credit, Cole would be playing if Redden was here.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
Sorry, I didn't interpret what he meant by "not a chance from who" in the way he was asking. The answer I should have gave him was: St. Louis. There is no way St. Louis would give up Schwartz + Cole for ROR. THAT is nonsensical at this point.
Unless O'Reilly's contract demands were the dealbreaker, purely as a value for value trade the Blues could not say no to such a deal.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
First I disagree I think they have both played well. Thought Cole looked very good in the action he seen this year. It sure didn't help that Pie was making some very un Pie like plays (missed open hit at the red line).

Right now, I would play him over Russell. For a guy who is a puck mover, he can't even get on the PP. I have been very unimpressed with his play. Gets beaten pretty easily.
I agree, it would only be temporary, as Russell probably wouldn't take long to get going, but he hasn't been good this season.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

To elaborate, O'Reilly is a great young center. A trio of Backes-O'Reilly-Berglund down the middle would be fantastic. McDonald-O'Reilly-Tarasenko would be way better than McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko. Steen is best on the wing and he could go right onto the Bashie line, the line that was so two-way dominant the first half of last year. Then Perron-Berglund-Stewart as the third line.

Schwartz is going to be a good NHLer but not better than O'Reilly, who is already an established, bonafide, still-improving NHL talent. Moreover, the Blues are loaded on the wings both on the NHL roster and in the pipeline (Rattie, Jaskin who will both be pushing for jobs sooner than later), and thus can afford to lose Schwartz without missing a beat. Meanwhile, the organizational pipeline is poor in terms of centers right now. It's a real weak spot. There's Lehtera, who won't come over without a guarantee he'll never get, there's McRae, who's not going to be an NHL player. Basically if one of Backes or Berglund were to get hurt (dodged the injury bullet with them last year) the Blues would have to be a patchwork at center. Trading Schwartz for a similarly very young O'Reilly bolsters the skilled center position. As for Cole, I like Ian Cole and think he's going to be a 2d-pairing defender in the NHL somewhere, but that possibility isn't going to keep me from pulling the trigger as a balancer in the Schwartz/O'Reilly flip. The Blues would still have assets to make a trade for that top-pair defenseman if needed down the road.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Schwartz is going to be a good NHLer but not better than O'Reilly, who is already an established, bonafide, still-improving NHL talent.
You don't know that…Not even close to being a fair assumption.

Last edited by OCTA8ON: 01-30-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
You don't know that…Not even close to being a fair assumption.
I would take O'Reilly 10 times out of 10. I'd wager most neutral hockey fans would too.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 149
Quote:
My thinking too. Not sure why he said "not a chance" and then later not a chance from "me" (because that's weirdly nonsensical), all I can report is he's probably an old poster with a new screen name and a grudge. Called me out in opening night GDT on Stewart.

I'm thinking Schwartz + Cole wouldn't be enough for ROR. We may have to add a 2nd too. If he sign a 3.5-4 X 5 prior to the deal, I would think long and hard about it. We do have that extra 2nd this year too.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:35 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Unless O'Reilly's contract demands were the dealbreaker, purely as a value for value trade the Blues could not say no to such a deal.
Since Colorado has yet to sign him i think his contract demands would likely be a deal killer.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:07 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

To elaborate, O'Reilly is a great young center. A trio of Backes-O'Reilly-Berglund down the middle would be fantastic. McDonald-O'Reilly-Tarasenko would be way better than McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko. Steen is best on the wing and he could go right onto the Bashie line, the line that was so two-way dominant the first half of last year. Then Perron-Berglund-Stewart as the third line.[/B]

I don't think anyone can disagree with this, but as I said before you have a selfish player that could be a problem. There's one other issue that's not being discussed The Blues appear to have no room for another forward that needs to be paid, if they were to make a deal to add another top 6 forward in his second or third contract they will have to give up payroll in return.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Would anyone trade McDonald for O'Reilly straight up?

Old
01-30-2013, 06:39 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Colorado would never ever do this. However, I'd be very hesitant to do this for the Blues, even if O'Reilly's contract demands weren't an obstacle. McDonald's chemistry with Tarasenko and Steen could be the most vital piece this year, and McDonald was a life-devouring ancient horror in the playoffs last year. As smart as it could be long-term, I think it could hurt their chances at the Cup right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
I doubt colorado would. and He's usually our top Point-per-game player. what do u think about steen+ for R.O.R? sheds a little cap than just giving up schwartz and other non roster players.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:43 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Colorado would never ever do this. However, I'd be very hesitant to do this for the Blues, even if O'Reilly's contract demands weren't an obstacle. McDonald's chemistry with Tarasenko and Steen could be the most vital piece this year, and McDonald was a life-devouring ancient horror in the playoffs last year. As smart as it could be long-term, I think it could hurt their chances at the Cup right now.
agree. wouldn't mind a mcdonald-ROR- tarasenko line tho.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
To elaborate, O'Reilly is a great young center. A trio of Backes-O'Reilly-Berglund down the middle would be fantastic. McDonald-O'Reilly-Tarasenko would be way better than McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko. Steen is best on the wing and he could go right onto the Bashie line, the line that was so two-way dominant the first half of last year. Then Perron-Berglund-Stewart as the third line.

Schwartz is going to be a good NHLer but not better than O'Reilly, who is already an established, bonafide, still-improving NHL talent. Moreover, the Blues are loaded on the wings both on the NHL roster and in the pipeline (Rattie, Jaskin who will both be pushing for jobs sooner than later), and thus can afford to lose Schwartz without missing a beat. Meanwhile, the organizational pipeline is poor in terms of centers right now. It's a real weak spot. There's Lehtera, who won't come over without a guarantee he'll never get, there's McRae, who's not going to be an NHL player. Basically if one of Backes or Berglund were to get hurt (dodged the injury bullet with them last year) the Blues would have to be a patchwork at center. Trading Schwartz for a similarly very young O'Reilly bolsters the skilled center position. As for Cole, I like Ian Cole and think he's going to be a 2d-pairing defender in the NHL somewhere, but that possibility isn't going to keep me from pulling the trigger as a balancer in the Schwartz/O'Reilly flip. The Blues would still have assets to make a trade for that top-pair defenseman if needed down the road.
OK, you talked me into it. But I don't think the Blues could fit all these guys under their budget cap, whereas Schwartz on an ELC would free up money for one of the free agents to resign. Maybe that means the front office is too cheap to get the best team possible, but it also means the window for a Cup is probably going to be open a bit longer, or more stably so.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:02 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
OK, you talked me into it. But I don't think the Blues could fit all these guys under their budget cap, whereas Schwartz on an ELC would free up money for one of the free agents to resign. Maybe that means the front office is too cheap to get the best team possible, but it also means the window for a Cup is probably going to be open a bit longer, or more stably so.
that's why i wouldn't mind a steen for ROR type deal

Old
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
BlueDream

O'Reilly is awesome. Acquiring him is my dream trade.

And, the thought that Schwartz is on his level...Lol. No.

I would honestly trade any forward on the roster not named Backes or Tarasenko for O'Reilly. He's very good and would be as close to you can get as being a perfect fit on this team.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 149
Quote:
My thinking too. Not sure why he said "not a chance" and then later not a chance from "me" (because that's weirdly nonsensical), all I can report is he's probably an old poster with a new screen name and a grudge. Called me out in opening night GDT on Stewart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
O'Reilly is awesome. Acquiring him is my dream trade.

And, the thought that Schwartz is on his level...Lol. No.

I would honestly trade any forward on the roster not named Backes or Tarasenko for O'Reilly. He's very good and would be as close to you can get as being a perfect fit on this team.

I wouldn't include Oshie or Perron either. Oshie is too relentless and good at everything, and Perron has such great skill. Losing one of these 2 would off set the gaining of ROR imo.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
CarvinSigX

I love Steen, but I'd consider him in a deal for O'Reilly...It would work well financially.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
ChicagoBlues

The Blues can afford to lose Schwartz. We all know the center position needs strengthening and we also know that there is no way the Blues can keep all of their decent prospects. O'Reilly fits. He wants the puck.

Oh...and...wasn't me.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 01-30-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Huh?
Old
01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
that's why i wouldn't mind a steen for ROR type deal
Nah, the best part of that trade is moving Steen back to wing.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:22 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Nah, the best part of that trade is moving Steen back to wing.
Yeah but you gotta give some to get some you know. i'd rather keep oshie, perron, tarasenko and mcdonald in our top six. it would help us more financially than getting rid of schwartz who's not as bad as everyone is thinking right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
A Steen for RoR deal would be awesome. Would rather give up Schwartz as we could bring back the SOB line, but we have wingers and O'Reilly would be a definite boost up the middle.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Berglund-Stewart

That is an incredibly tough top 9

Old
01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I wouldn't include Oshie or Perron either. Oshie is too relentless and good at everything, and Perron has such great skill. Losing one of these 2 would off set the gaining of ROR imo.

I believe they would want Perron and Cole; it's just a better fit for The Avs. Not only for what Perron would do for their team but his contract would be considered very favorable.

Now I prefer two way forwards especially center-man, but I still wouldn't make the deal. But I would consider moving both of them for another true top 4 defenseman that could play big minutes in the playoffs, preferably someone that‘s physical and can move the puck. I still believe it would make them a stronger team, and with Hitchcock's system they would be much better off than having 9 potential top 6 forwards.

Closed Thread