HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
I believe they would want Perron and Cole; it's just a better fit for The Avs. Not only for what Perron would do for their team but his contract would be considered very favorable.

Now I prefer two way forwards especially center-man, but I still wouldn't make the deal. But I would consider moving both of them for another true top 4 defenseman that could play big minutes in the playoffs, preferably someone that‘s physical and can move the puck. I still believe it would make them a stronger team, and with Hitchcock's system they would be much better off than having 9 potential top 6 forwards.

no deal if Perron is included. My final offer would be Schwartz, Cole and a 2nd.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Alklha

There are a lot of issues with O'Reilly though. The fact remains that he only has 1 proven offensive year, in which he got 20 minutes a night and good PP time to account for 15 of his 55 points. Neither of which would be a certainty on the Blues immediately. Last year could have been his breakout year offensively, it likely was, but he still might just be a 45 point C with excellent D.

Also, signing a guy to a big, long-term contract after 1 proven year ahead of this summer could present some issues with what our own RFA's are looking for.

I like O'Reilly, I think his playing style would be a perfect fit. It really all comes back to exactly what he is wanting, because I don't think we'd consider giving him the contract Oshie just signed. Who knows after the contract Subban just signed, O'Reilly's demands might actually be pretty modest.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:55 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
There are a lot of issues with O'Reilly though. The fact remains that he only has 1 proven offensive year, in which he got 20 minutes a night and good PP time to account for 15 of his 55 points. Neither of which would be a certainty on the Blues immediately. Last year could have been his breakout year offensively, it likely was, but he still might just be a 45 point C with excellent D.

Also, signing a guy to a big, long-term contract after 1 proven year ahead of this summer could present some issues with what our own RFA's are looking for.

I like O'Reilly, I think his playing style would be a perfect fit. It really all comes back to exactly what he is wanting, because I don't think we'd consider giving him the contract Oshie just signed. Who knows after the contract Subban just signed, O'Reilly's demands might actually be pretty modest.
Completely agreeing with you!
He'd be a nice fit on the ice but considering what he did so far he'd get a nice bridge-deal as all our young, promising forwards got.

He's not that good that Army would treat him any different than Oshie, Perron, Stew or Bergy nor should he

And I'm only guessing but I think such a deal is exactly what the Avs offer him and what he does NOT want, I guess he wants 3,5m+ for 5+ yrs, and again, I don't think we'd give any deal like that

Old
01-31-2013, 07:51 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
A Steen for RoR deal would be awesome. Would rather give up Schwartz as we could bring back the SOB line, but we have wingers and O'Reilly would be a definite boost up the middle.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Berglund-Stewart

That is an incredibly tough top 9
That looks pretty impressive but I don't think I would trade Steen for ROR straight up. I am not saying the value isn't there, because it is, but there is no reason to make a deal right not for a key player that has been here for a few years and has big time chemistry.

If it were the off-season however...

Old
01-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:

This is spot on. I see him as a Berglund 2.0. I know he is kind of sexy in that he broke out last year, and Berglund's offensive game hasn't matched his defensive growth, but...

If I knew what he was looking for in a contract and it was about 3 million, then yes. He is worth adding. But if he is looking for more, no thanks. My guess is the Aves have had such a hard time signing him because of his contract demands. The fact they are willing to let him sit, tells me how they see him.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Ryan O'Reilly is flat out a better hockey player than Patrik Berglund. Let's just keep that in mind. He would definitely displace Berglund on the depth chart and bump him down one. O'Reilly is more offensively skilled than Backes also.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Ryan O'Reilly is flat out a better hockey player than Patrik Berglund. Let's just keep that in mind. He would definitely displace Berglund on the depth chart and bump him down one. O'Reilly is more offensively skilled than Backes also.
Disagree. He wasn't much of an offensive force in junior, and last season was the only season in his professional career that he put up even decent offensive numbers. He might have better tools than Backes, but those tools mean nothing if he can't consistently put the puck in the net. Grachev might be "more offensively skilled" than Backes too, but that clearly doesn't mean a damn thing. Backes has led the team in scoring the last 3 years for a reason.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:25 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Disagree. He wasn't much of an offensive force in junior, and last season was the only season in his professional career that he put up even decent offensive numbers. He might have better tools than Backes, but those tools mean nothing if he can't consistently put the puck in the net. Grachev might be "more offensively skilled" than Backes too, but that clearly doesn't mean a damn thing. Backes has led the team in scoring the last 3 years for a reason.
Grachev is nothing like o'reilly or backes. he has good hands but isn't more skilled offensively than either of them. just because someone can stickhandle doesn't automatically make them Offensively skilled. Do u thing Gilbert Brule is more skilled than backes? or Patrick O'sullivan? Not to mention O'reilly was playing 3rd line and was a penalty killer as a 18 and 19 year old. The way they developed him has paid off since now he's a top six centermen(stastny has sadly kind of fallen off the wagon) and I believe can keep putting up around 55-65 points consistently and still kill penalties. Alot like backes "statistically wise" obviously he's not as physical but they play similar roles.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Saw enough of O'Reilly last year – and was hugely impressed enough – that at one point tried to talk to Avs fans about what trade might get him. He was basically described as untouchable. He's a more dynamic player offensively than Backes, who gets a lot of his points with dirty work and hustle. I'd rather have Backes, but I was very, very impressed with Ryan O'Reilly last year and his two way play and ability to feed a guy like Tarasenko would fit perfectly on this team. I'd give him an Oshie contract. Keep in mind he put up the same number of points as Backes last year (at age 20-21) and he was a huge part of creating that offense.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Saw enough of O'Reilly last year – and was hugely impressed enough – that at one point tried to talk to Avs fans about what trade might get him. He was basically described as untouchable. He's a more dynamic player offensively than Backes, who gets a lot of his points with dirty work and hustle. I'd rather have Backes, but I was very, very impressed with Ryan O'Reilly last year and his two way play and ability to feed a guy like Tarasenko would fit perfectly on this team. I'd give him an Oshie contract. Keep in mind he put up the same number of points as Backes last year (at age 20-21) and he was a huge part of creating that offense.
I agree that he's a fantastic player and would love to have him on our team. I just think Backes' offensive abilities get overlooked because he's known more as a "defensive forward". Backes does get a lot of "dirty" goals cashing in rebounds in front of the net, but he does have a ridiculously hard, and fairly accurate shot, and fairly good hands and vision for a big guy. I'd definitely give O'Reilly Oshie money. Seems by the talk around the "insiders" that he might want more than Backes money, which I would not feel comfortable giving to a player that has only shown 1 year of great play. Berglund had a statistically similar year his 20 year old season, and I don't think we'd be very happy to be paying Bergie that kind of money at this point. I would like to see a few more years of consistently good play out of O'Reilly before I'd give him a big contract like that.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Thoughts on an OFFSEASON trade centered around Jaden Schwartz for Luca Sbisa?

I'm not entirely sure if Sbisa is available but the Ducks could be looking for forwards to help replace Corey Perry soon. They have Cam Fowler and Sami Vatanen on the roster with Hampus Lindholm on the way. So they have some really nice young d-men. They'd be in much better shape, though, if a certain someone hadn't bolted for Edmonton.

Sbisa is a smooth skating, hard hitting lefty d-man that transitions the puck nicely but still hasn't fully developed his offensive game. He'd be a very good fit with Pietrangelo in the long run.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Alklha

I'd consider it, but I think the significant need for the Ducks is at center. That is what their fans have been going on about for the past year+.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
I'd consider it, but I think the significant need for the Ducks is at center. That is what their fans have been going on about for the past year+.
With Perry likely on the way out and Selanne nearing retirement(uh maybe), they'll have a need for a good young winger very soon. Emerson Etem is on the way but he has been just average in the AHL.

Saku Koivu has been plugging along filling the 2nd/3rd line center position for awhile. At 37 years old, he can't be expected to do that for much longer. So you're right, they will need a good young center. They've been trying 24 year old Nick Bonino this season but he seems like more a bottom 6 guy.

I should note that the Ducks have Peter Holland, a 2009 1st round pick, in the AHL playing very well. He could fill their 2nd line center spot next season. I'd be surprised if the Ducks don't give him a good shot this year.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Eklund mentioned that Ellerby might be available from Florida.

I don't put much stock in to what that guy says, but its a name I haven't heard thrown around too much as a potential Petro partner. I only caught a few Panthers games last year in the post-season, does anyone know how he looks? Good idea? Bad idea? Potential?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
underslept

I might be alone in this boat, but I'm starting to wonder what Perron might fetch in a trade.

I have not liked his game one bit this year aside from the Dallas game.

He doesn't seem to be maturing mentally. If he's not in the box this year, he's holding on the puck far too long and turning it over.

He's still picking up helpers, but his game is certainly not where I think it should be.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:22 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Blues Trade ideas

fan here. I have the in a GM connected league and I was wondering what some realistic trade ideas Blues fans seem to thrown around are.

IMHO this team is very deep with good, but not great talent. Exceptions of course being Pietrangelo, Halak, Tarasenko etc...

Who are some players you'd realistically be willing to part with and what needs would those assets be best used for?

I think it's more fun to keep things as realistic as possible instead of flipping Pietrangelo for Kane or something dumb like that.

Thanks in advance. Being a hawks fan I don't root for the blues. Ever. Never, ever, ever. But I do like your teams play style and like how well you execute your NON TRAP system.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
I might be alone in this boat, but I'm starting to wonder what Perron might fetch in a trade.

I have not liked his game one bit this year aside from the Dallas game.

He doesn't seem to be maturing mentally. If he's not in the box this year, he's holding on the puck far too long and turning it over.

He's still picking up helpers, but his game is certainly not where I think it should be.
He has been fine in recent games. He got off to a slow start, and I think his frustrations were pretty hard to miss. I don't have a problem with how he has played in the last few games.

He isn't untouchable, but considering his contract it wouldn't make much sense to move him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Eklund mentioned that Ellerby might be available from Florida.

I don't put much stock in to what that guy says, but its a name I haven't heard thrown around too much as a potential Petro partner. I only caught a few Panthers games last year in the post-season, does anyone know how he looks? Good idea? Bad idea? Potential?
Eklund is just working out that Ellerby would be available? The Panthers are pretty loaded on D, and he just isn't going to get the playing time he needs to develop. That is even with Garrison having left in the summer!

If we were going to make a move for him, then I think we would be as well giving Cole an extended run in the team first. Different styles, but the upside projects to be pretty similar at this stage.

I'm just not sure what the thinking is with our defense. I don't think that we expected Jackman to sign an extension, had Cole pencilled in as his replacement and were going to get a partner for Pietrangelo through FA or trade. We got Jackman to resign at a good price, we aren't ready to give up on Cole and it has left us in a bit of an awkward position.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:09 PM
puckerdude10

In regards to Perron in my opinion he hasnt looked good so far (I didn't get to see the Dallas game so I cannot comment). I think the reason he has struggled is because he is trying to do to much. I think he came in wanting to be the go to guy offensivly thus he is hanging onto the puck to long and making bad decisions while trying to make things happen.

As far as looking for a D partner for Petro. From watching the games this season that Cole has played I think he could do well. IMHO he just needs time on the ice to develop and I think this is a great season to do it while it benefits the younger players with more natural stamina. I want him to get a fair shot before we trade for or sign anyone unless it is a steal.

I have also seen a few people mention possibly trading Berglund for an upgrade. I may be alone but I think he seems to have elevated his game this year. It may be because he was in shape due to playing all season overseas and having that advantage but I think he is more confident on the ice this year especially with the puck. He is taking more shots some that he used to shy away from before when he would look for a pass first. He also seems to be seeing the game in the offensive zone better and anticapating the play more. My homer vote of the year is that this will be an offensive breakout year for him and he will develop his game further and reach another level. I'm by no means saying he will become the top center in the league or anything but I think he will solidify himself on this team as an essential piece and become that first or more likely second line center that we need. (I know he is already playing that role but I think he will prove he belongs there and that we shouldn't aquire someone to push him down to the third line)

I might be off but this is just my opinion so far this year. I like the idea of aquiring some of the names that have been thrown around but for me I want to give this squad the year without major alterations to see where they go. Unless an offer blows Armstrong away I hope he sticks with what he has assembled.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
fan here. I have the in a GM connected league and I was wondering what some realistic trade ideas Blues fans seem to thrown around are.

IMHO this team is very deep with good, but not great talent. Exceptions of course being Pietrangelo, Halak, Tarasenko etc...

Who are some players you'd realistically be willing to part with and what needs would those assets be best used for?

I think it's more fun to keep things as realistic as possible instead of flipping Pietrangelo for Kane or something dumb like that.

Thanks in advance. Being a hawks fan I don't root for the blues. Ever. Never, ever, ever. But I do like your teams play style and like how well you execute your NON TRAP system.
Some things that I've noticed on Offline GM mode is that Rattie develops into an absolute stud. After a couple of years, he usually has 95+ in every shooting category. Schwartz typically becomes a really good playmaker. All four times I've done a Blues GM mode, after 3 years he has 99 passing, offensive awareness, and puck control. Rattie and Schwartz begin piling up the points after a couple of seasons. The same I can't say for Tarasenko. It might be bad luck, but I've never gotten him over 83 overall and it's never like some guys that have low overalls but amazing offensive categories. He's just a well rounded 3rd liner for a LONG time. Jaskin and Allen are hit or miss with me. I've had them both develop into very good players(Jaskin 87 overall, Allen 85), but I've had them both bust also. Pietrangelo always seems to just sit at 87 or 88 overall for his entire career. Good, but never amazing. Shattenkirk usually gets up to about 86 or 87. Cole also develops into a very good Dman usually. Russell and Polak are what they are. As far as potential trade targets, I would trade someone like D'Ags and a pick or two for a solid 2nd pairing Dman because Jackman retires after a couple of seasons, and the Blues don't have any defensive prospects that become anything in the game. Another alternative is to draft Pulock in the first year if you get a good enough pick. He develops quick, but he's usually gone after the first 8 picks or so. Also, you could look for a better goaltender, though I don't know who you'd want to part with(Stewart, Perron, Oshie, or Steen perhaps?). Halak pretty much sits around 85 overall for the rest of his career. Really, the teams I have don't start winning until Rattie and Schwartz become good offensive players, but I have a real life fondness for some of the players, so it's hard to give them up sometimes You could consider giving up one of the many two way forwards and getting more of a sniper. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Old
02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckerdude10 View Post
In regards to Perron in my opinion he hasnt looked good so far (I didn't get to see the Dallas game so I cannot comment). I think the reason he has struggled is because he is trying to do to much. I think he came in wanting to be the go to guy offensivly thus he is hanging onto the puck to long and making bad decisions while trying to make things happen.
Perron was off for the first couple of games, and he's made a few odd decisions, but, overall, he's been good. Especially his defensive game. Watch the way he backchecks hard up the middle of the ice, forces turnovers in the neutral zone, and wins puck battles in his own zone. Dude has really become a complete player, and a couple of off games offensively don't change the fact that he's been as good as ever overall.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
puckerdude10

Quote:
Perron was off for the first couple of games, and he's made a few odd decisions, but, overall, he's been good. Especially his defensive game. Watch the way he backchecks hard up the middle of the ice, forces turnovers in the neutral zone, and wins puck battles in his own zone. Dude has really become a complete player, and a couple of off games offensively don't change the fact that he's been as good as ever overall.
I should have been more thorough. I completly agree with you. I just think he looks frustrated with the puck in the offensive zone and tries to force the play which has caused a few bad turnovers in the offensive zone, as well as his stupid offensive zone penalties which he has had a couple of. I like his overall game this year I just think the offense needs a few games to work itself out so he can calm down and get back to scoring his usual points while also contributing defensivly. Another poster said they were wondering what he would fetch in a trade cause they thought he hadn't matured. My remarks were directed towards those feelings. I think he is just frustrated he hasn't scored more and been our offensive stud like he wants to be. This shows me that he cares as well as the fact he is finding other ways to help the team leads me to believe he has matured and is continuing to develop as a player.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
SheasRebellion6

Pietrangelo for B. Schenn. + L. Schenn + Cousins?

- Cousins can play in the NHL next year. Despite his off ice issues he is a potential #2/3 C who brings a mix of offense and physicality.
- Pietrangelo for L. Schenn is a down grade, but Schenn is physically intimidating.
- B. Schenn solidifies your top 9.

Perron- Backes- Oshie
McDonald- B. Schenn- Tarasenko
Steen- Berglund- Stewart

Old
02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Good god...How about Giroux for Steen, Cole/Russell, and Schmaltz?

Old
02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheasRebellion6 View Post

- Cousins can play in the NHL next year. Despite his off ice issues he is a potential #2/3 C who brings a mix of offense and physicality.
- Pietrangelo for L. Schenn is a down grade, but Schenn is physically intimidating.

Perron- Backes- Oshie
Steen- Berglund- Stewart
Pietrangelo simply is not available.

L. Schenn would most likely be on our bottom pairing behind Shattenkirk and Polak. Polak can be just as physical is currently better defensively and a much better skater then Luke Schenn.

I have been a huge Brayden Schenn fan since his draft year he just has not progressed as much as I expected him to yet him being the key piece as in the only piece I would actually want you are offering for Pietrangelo is laughable though.

Cousins is just an average at best prospect really.

So looking at the Blues roster you basically offered us someone who would be a bottom pairing defenseman on our team a 2/3 center with some good potential but still just mostly potential. And a very average prospect for one of the best Defenseman in the NHL. Do you realize how horrible your offer seems now?

Old
02-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheasRebellion6 View Post

Perron- Backes- Oshie
Steen- Berglund- Stewart

Closed Thread