HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
GrandPapillon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I would much rather give O'Reilly (two-way scoring line core center) 4M in real dollars than Stewart (inconsistent RW third on the depth chart) 4M. That isn't even a close decision.
Rather have Perron and Stewart than O'Reilly. Not even close. 2 way 50 point centers are in no way harder to find than 25-30 goal wingers who can also fight another team's enforcer and hang in. Plus, Stewart has scored 25-30 goals more than once whereas O'Reilly has had one good season and is holding his team hostage trying to cash in on it.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:31 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
If the Capitals don't recover, which they are starting to win games, I wonder if Alzner would be made available. He is another piece that would put the finishing touches on the defense.

We could also probably pick up Tyutin at the deadline for a prospect or one of our extra picks, as Jarmo will be looking for both.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If the Capitals don't recover, which they are starting to win games, I wonder if Alzner would be made available. He is another piece that would put the finishing touches on the defense.

We could also probably pick up Tyutin at the deadline for a prospect or one of our extra picks, as Jarmo will be looking for both.
I don't see the caps trading alzner. Tyutin is a possibility tho. what's his contract? I kinda think we should stick with Cole and our OPENING NIGHT lineup which seems to win everytime.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:39 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
I don't see the caps trading alzner. Tyutin is a possibility tho. what's his contract? I kinda think we should stick with Cole and our OPENING NIGHT lineup which seems to win everytime.
I don't like Redden or Russell in full-time. If they are spares in the playoffs, then we are set.

NVM on Tyutin after looking at his contract, way too long for me, 5 more seasons after this.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
underslept
well-informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post

I doubt Columbus would deal Tyutin, much less interdivisionally.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Why don't the Blues just focus on keeping their own in Blue next season given that there are 4 RFAs that the team needs to worry about bringing back? Once they figure out a way to keep Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Berglund, and Stewart while having an ownership group that can't spend nearly to the cap, then they can worry about adding players with 1 50 point season who are asking for top dollar.

I get it. He would be a nice player to have, but next season with McDonald leaving, either Jaskin or Lehtera taking his place on the roster would be fine with me. If the Blues want to spend more money, they should be looking for defensemen, and this is coming from an Ian Cole fan. They need to replace Russell.

Yeah, I doubt the Blues are looking to add a 4 mill+ player. The only way the Blues will be able to keep their RFA's is to not resign AMac.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:00 PM
simon in canada

Ottawa is looking for short term help right now, esp. a puck moving defenseman. Anybody know if they have anyone in their system that could help the Blues in exchange for Russell? (Btw, I am a Blues fan, not an Ottawa fan. I have just never liked Russell, and this season even more so.)

Old
02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Lifetimebluesfan

Russel + 2nd to Ottawa for Neil

Dags For a solid third pairing dman

How does this look?

Old
02-18-2013, 12:52 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
Russel + 2nd to Ottawa for Neil

Dags For a solid third pairing dman

How does this look?
Who are we going to sit for Neil? I really don't see any room for him on our team.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Who are we going to sit for Neil? I really don't see any room for him on our team.
Schwartz isn't playing so well that he has to be in every night and if there was one thing the Blues were lacking durin the recent skid, it was some aggressive forechecking. Chris Neil would bring that.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:24 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
We can agree to disagree on Stewart. His play has definitely turned the corner this year. Someone has to keep Schwartz alive and score goals. It may not be a close decision however, based on how much it would cost you to get him and how much you have to pay him.
I fully agree that Stewart looks better than last year. My statement was in terms of an improved Stewart hypothetically versus O'Reilly if I could only pick one (due to budget issues and team structure) to whom I'd give to give 4M. Still a nanosecond decision. I don't think a main board poll would be close either.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:28 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
O'Reilly is not someone I would want on this team. His attitude is a huge turnoff, the amount of money he is asking for, and he has had only one real solid season. I understand he may have played with crap players his first 2 years but one good year for points does not warrant what this kid is asking for.
You actually have no idea about his attitude. Nobody knows what the real story is, it's all speculation. You can read Adrian Dater (Avs version of JR) absolutely rip the team for the way they've treated popular, incredibly good-attitude hard working players who almost all wind up bitter after leaving.

As far as is he worth what he hopes to get, Pietrangelo didn't look so great in his 18 and 19 year old tryout years but his 20yo season left no doubt that stats aren't how you understand a guy's value fully. O'Reilly is on the same arc – you know it when you see it. People ripping him don't really follow Colorado and didn't really watch him last year. Had he been on the Blues last year he would have either been the best all-around forward or so close in debate that it wouldn't matter.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:30 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Rather have Perron and Stewart than O'Reilly. Not even close. 2 way 50 point centers are in no way harder to find than 25-30 goal wingers who can also fight another team's enforcer and hang in. Plus, Stewart has scored 25-30 goals more than once whereas O'Reilly has had one good season and is holding his team hostage trying to cash in on it.
Yes, but this is a strawman. Nobody's saying the choice is between Perron and Stewart OR O'Reilly. So you definitely win this nonexistent argument that nobody argued. Obviously if they don't want to pay Stewart 4M+ going forward they will trade him for value.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:38 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Here is Dater's piece ripping the Avs. It is worth clicking the link and reading in full b/c he mentions more situations than the excerpts below:

Quote:
There is a lot more to this story, but until O’Reilly is traded, I’m kind of bound by an agreement not to report anything until then. Sorry. Really, I’m amazed this all happened. A 22-year-old heart-and-soul, two-way center, an absolute rink rat who loved Denver and loved the Avalanche wound up being the final unsigned big-name restricted free agent in the NHL. Really, it’s unbelievable.

There are so many questions left to be answered/resolved with this story. Not to get all negative – because I know how some get all sensitive to that – but it really must be asked: do the Avs have a major problem with the way they do business with their players now? Look at all the good players who – even after giving a lot to this team on and off the ice – things end really badly and they are either traded or released, often to disastrous results.

The larger point is: why do so many of these contract problems with good players always keep happening? Ian Laperriere was shocked at how he was treated by this team at the end. He got an insulting one-year offer, with a pay cut, to stay. He couldn’t even get his phone calls returned by the organization when he didn’t take the offer but wanted to keep negotiating. What kind of management is that? You can’t even return the call of a guy who poured out his heart and soul to this team and did countless acts of goodwill for the community? Disgraceful. I get mad just thinking about it.

Tomas Fleischmann – played great for the Avs after they TRADED to get him. They made another lowball, take-it-or leave it offer to keep him. He was shocked, because he liked it here too and wanted to stay and his teammates really liked him too. But he was just let go he’s put up about a point a game for the Panthers since and helped them to the playoffs last year. The Avs thought his health (pulmonary embolism) would prevent him from being a reliable player. He plays every night for Florida.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:14 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I'm sure the O'Reilly situation and the other issues Dater referenced (in addition to the decision to extend the clearly inept Joe Sacco b/c he's probably one of the lowest paid coaches in the league) is nothing more complicated than Josh Kroenke continuing his father's recent tradition of not giving a **** about the hockey team he owns (despite owning the regional sports network the team is broadcast on).

Old
02-18-2013, 03:02 AM
simon in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Schwartz isn't playing so well that he has to be in every night and if there was one thing the Blues were lacking durin the recent skid, it was some aggressive forechecking. Chris Neil would bring that.
I might get flamed for this, but there is some logic to it. Perron, Russell and Dags for Chris Neil, a 3rd line D or prospect and Ottawa's 1st?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:14 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
I might get flamed for this, but there is some logic to it. Perron, Russell and Dags for Chris Neil, a 3rd line D or prospect and Ottawa's 1st?
Why on Earth would we do that. Are you serious? No logic to it at all.

Perron is miles ahead of Chris Neil who plays right wing and wouldn't have a spot on the roster.

Russell already is a 3rd line D why would we make a lateral move?

And losing both Perron and Dags leaves us with Steen, McDonald, Schwartz and Sobtoka for our left wingers but Sobotka would have to play center for 3rd line because we would have to move Steen to LW due to the lack of LWs.

All of that for a first round pick? We are in a win now mode and have some great prospects coming up. Just because Ottawa is missing that many players doesn't mean they are guarenteed a top-5 let alone a top-10 pick in this coming draft, which would be what we want if we were moving all of those players for Chris Neil and a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:22 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Disagree like crazy with that proposal for Neil (I don't mean to flame though).

Unless we're making a trade for a stud left-handed D-man that eats up minutes...we don't make a trade.

And please, dear god, do not move Perron.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:51 AM
simon in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Why on Earth would we do that. Are you serious? No logic to it at all.

Perron is miles ahead of Chris Neil who plays right wing and wouldn't have a spot on the roster.

Russell already is a 3rd line D why would we make a lateral move?

And losing both Perron and Dags leaves us with Steen, McDonald, Schwartz and Sobtoka for our left wingers but Sobotka would have to play center for 3rd line because we would have to move Steen to LW due to the lack of LWs.

All of that for a first round pick? We are in a win now mode and have some great prospects coming up. Just because Ottawa is missing that many players doesn't mean they are guarenteed a top-5 let alone a top-10 pick in this coming draft, which would be what we want if we were moving all of those players for Chris Neil and a 3rd pairing defenseman.
Good post, you are making me re-think my proposal. I thought Dags was a RW. my bad. I guess I was being a vulture, looking at Ottawa's vulnerable situation and salivating over a high 1st round pick, which, I agree, might not necessarily be that high. So, if I'm a predator and I want to take advantage of the Sens current plight, the first players who come to mind are Russell and Dags, (both of whom I consider "spare parts") in exchange for a high pick or prospect. Being that we already have their 2nd, and the two aforementioned players won't be enough for a 1st, I threw in Perron. If we have to give up a "quality" player, he'd be my 1st choice. ( Yes I know a lot of people would disagree with me on that. anyway, that was my rationale, and I agree, it was flawed. I am glad we have forums like this to discuss hockey!

Old
02-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Good post, you are making me re-think my proposal. I thought Dags was a RW. my bad. I guess I was being a vulture, looking at Ottawa's vulnerable situation and salivating over a high 1st round pick, which, I agree, might not necessarily be that high. So, if I'm a predator and I want to take advantage of the Sens current plight, the first players who come to mind are Russell and Dags, (both of whom I consider "spare parts") in exchange for a high pick or prospect. Being that we already have their 2nd, and the two aforementioned players won't be enough for a 1st, I threw in Perron. If we have to give up a "quality" player, he'd be my 1st choice. ( Yes I know a lot of people would disagree with me on that. anyway, that was my rationale, and I agree, it was flawed. I am glad we have forums like this to discuss hockey!
Yeah sorry if I came off as flaming too. Lol was just trying to put from a standpoint of why it was a bad trade.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:56 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I fully agree that Stewart looks better than last year. My statement was in terms of an improved Stewart hypothetically versus O'Reilly if I could only pick one (due to budget issues and team structure) to whom I'd give to give 4M. Still a nanosecond decision. I don't think a main board poll would be close either.
The thing you are forgetting is you not only have O'Reilly's contract of 4.5 to 5.0 million that you are spending, you are also giving up one of your top three to six to get him. There is no guarantee that Stewart is going to get $4 million next year. He may sign for less. We don't know what Stewart is asking for.

Your true polling question needs to be:

Perron and $4.5 to $5 million for O'Reilly
or $4 million to keep Stewart

I choose Stewart in a nanosecond.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:01 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
I don't see Ottawa making that deal, but I like it. He is the type of player that we need for a good playoff run.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:34 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
What the?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:44 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Good luck leaving here without getting torched.... Really???

Old
02-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
OK....while I would be for acquiring Chris Neil, I didn't mean it like that. That is horrendous.

Closed Thread