HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XX - Trade Another Day

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
As for trades, Luongo remains available, but it's believed Burke balked at the asking price of promising blueliner Jake Gardiner.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...anted-man.html

I guess Lu isn't coming to Toronto, no way I see Burke parting with Gardiner
i could see blacker or percy going to van but not gards

Old
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Ya i guess, don't quite get all the "would prefer to play in a hockey market in a packed house every night in front of passionate fans" stuff from yesterdays interview. Not slagging FLA at all, but it seems like in FLA it' the Heat, the Dolphins,the Marlins, Nascar and college football 1st. In TO, it's the Maple Leafs and then....what, we have other sports??
"Slagging" Fla? What does that mean?? I am not sure if you're familiar with Panthers hockey or not but we usually do have a packed house night every game in front of very passionate fans,especially after winning our first SE title and making the postseason. Again, I am not sure why Canadians think that the Florida Panthers have no fans,support, business in hockey,yet they couldn't be more wrong. Why would Luongo want to go from "Hockey Market" as you say, in front of tons of media who will slander his name the first game he plays bad in,when he already does?? We do have the Champs,the Heat, and Dolphins,Marlins, Nascar????? and yes College football is huge down here, but that doesn't take away from hockey fans. We have a good team that is going to be great very very soon. We have a GM that's outstanding and has built a future Stanley Cup Champ (and by future, I mean the next two to three years)
What's also funny is how you think because TO doesn't have any other sports, that they naturally become front runners for Luongo because you are the model "hockey Market" in all of the NHL. I've spoken to plenty of TO fans visiting here in Fla (as most Canadians do half of the year) and they ALL told me that Panther games are more exciting and entertaining because its about the fans and fun, and a fun atmosphere. They told me that in TO it may be sold out, but it's sold out because half of the stadium is business exec. not true fans.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
He's Mr. Connect-the-Dots Man. Not a legit source. He'll spin things 100 different ways and when 1 of those 100 scenarios comes true he'll say "I told you so"
Ahhh, I've never seen him before and when I saw 37,000 followers I was curious how. But the way you explained it, I could see it now.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
"Slagging" Fla? What does that mean?? I am not sure if you're familiar with Panthers hockey or not but we usually do have a packed house night every game in front of very passionate fans,especially after winning our first SE title and making the postseason. Again, I am not sure why Canadians think that the Florida Panthers have no fans,support, business in hockey,yet they couldn't be more wrong. Why would Luongo want to go from "Hockey Market" as you say, in front of tons of media who will slander his name the first game he plays bad in,when he already does?? We do have the Champs,the Heat, and Dolphins,Marlins, Nascar????? and yes College football is huge down here, but that doesn't take away from hockey fans. We have a good team that is going to be great very very soon. We have a GM that's outstanding and has built a future Stanley Cup Champ (and by future, I mean the next two to three years)
What's also funny is how you think because TO doesn't have any other sports, that they naturally become front runners for Luongo because you are the model "hockey Market" in all of the NHL. I've spoken to plenty of TO fans visiting here in Fla (as most Canadians do half of the year) and they ALL told me that Panther games are more exciting and entertaining because its about the fans and fun, and a fun atmosphere. They told me that in TO it may be sold out, but it's sold out because half of the stadium is business exec. not true fans.
Apologies again,i truely didn't want to sound offensive. What do you think the term "Hockey market" means? It means a market were hockey is first and foremost. If that is the case in FLA, than i'm sorry i assumed otherwise.

Also, TO does have other sports, NBA Raptors, MLB Bluejays, MLS TFC, and CFL Argos. My point was it's Leafs first pretty much.

Old
Suntouchable13

I think it is easy to play in Toronto right now, tbh. If you just get this team to the playoffs right now, the fans will erect statues for you outside of the ACC. If Lu comes to Toronto and leads them to the playoffs with stellar goaltending, he won't have to pay for dinner in Toronto ever again.

Old
Beezeral

Quote:
Ya i guess, don't quite get all the "would prefer to play in a hockey market in a packed house every night in front of passionate fans" stuff from yesterdays interview. Not slagging FLA at all, but it seems like in FLA it' the Heat, the Dolphins,the Marlins, Nascar and college football 1st. In TO, it's the Maple Leafs and then....what, we have other sports??
It's called giving the classy response by mentioning positive aspects of both his suitors. The fact that he contradicted himself in the same quote is more than enough proof that the comment was nothing more than a polite nod to both franchises

Old
Mr Lahey*

Why exactly would Kessel leave Toronto again? I doubt he gets more money elsewhere, TO is a good situation for him long term.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

God damn it guys, it's page 40! Screw Luongo and let's brainstorm the next thread title!

Old
07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSmedsmosStache View Post
Why exactly would Kessel leave Toronto again? I doubt he gets more money elsewhere, TO is a good situation for him long term.
I don't know, maybe he'd like to win, or at least play a playoff game?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
It's called giving the classy response by mentioning positive aspects of both his suitors. The fact that he contradicted himself in the same quote is more than enough proof that the comment was nothing more than a polite nod to both franchises
Come on, give me a break. He would come play for Chicago and for Toronto as well. Those teams and markets offer something to him just as much as Florida does.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Well....if he wants to win that's basically at least 10 other teams lol.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
As i said earlier, i in now way was bashing FLA or the Panthers. I was actually cheering for you guys in the PO's. Please accept my apologies again if i came off as offensive.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
God damn it guys, it's page 40! Screw Luongo and let's brainstorm the next thread title!
Funny thing is Luongo is an avid Poker player so it should be easy, but it's not haha.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Come on, give me a break. He would come play for Chicago and for Toronto as well. Those teams and markets offer something to him just as much as Florida does.
I never said he wouldn't play for either franchise. I'm just saying that the quote everyone keeps mentioning was nothing more than a fluff comment.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
As i said earlier, i in now way was bashing FLA or the Panthers. I was actually cheering for you guys in the PO's. Please accept my apologies again if i came off as offensive.
There was nothing wrong with your response. My fellow panther fan overeacted a little bit.

Old
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Well, Toronto may be full of hockey crazed fans, but the Air Canada Center is a morgue. Sat there in the third row a couple of seasons ago and was shocked at how sterile it was. I understand why that is (not knocking fans here), but if Luongo is looking to play IN FRONT OF a passionate crowd, Toronto isn't at the top of that list.

He still gets the intense media scrutiny that he wants to escape from in Vancouver though - perhaps worse.

Probably not what he wants.

Old
Skead

Quote:
I never said he wouldn't play for either franchise. I'm just saying that the quote everyone keeps mentioning was nothing more than a fluff comment.
On whether he'd go to Columbus or Chicago:
[Laughs] "I'd rather not talk specific right now. I mean, there's a lot of stuff going on I've always said I like playing in Chicago."

No, seriously, would he play for Blackhawks?
"That's a good question. I think there's a lot of cities that are great to play in, and Chicago's definitely one of them. But you have to realize that it works both ways. There's not only me involved in this decisions. It's also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested, if the team would be interested in trading me there and if I wanted to go there."

Could he deal with 'Chelsea Dagger' in Chicago?
"I like that song. It's catchy. I heard it seven times in one game."

Does he see himself in a Florida jersey?
"It's tough to say. Mike Gillis is obviously in charge of the negotiations and making a trade. Florida is definitely one of the spots I'd be willing to go to."

Transcript for Cfox Interview

Sounds pretty confirmed there he'd play for more teams than just one.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Luongo said on radio it has to work for the team, for him, and for other team as well.
I think he can understand and accept more than just one team.

If he was willing to play in Chicago, then Toronto should be on there as well.
I think he said that knowing that there was no way in hell that his team would trade him there. Pure conjecture on my part, but that's how I read it.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
I don't know, maybe he'd like to win, or at least play a playoff game?
He's too young to have demands like that. He's playing on a young, rising team. In two years it will be a different situation.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
[Laughs] "I'd rather not talk specific right now. I mean, there's a lot of stuff going on I've always said I like playing in Chicago."

"That's a good question. I think there's a lot of cities that are great to play in, and Chicago's definitely one of them. But you have to realize that it works both ways. There's not only me involved in this decisions. It's also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested, if the team would be interested in trading me there and if I wanted to go there."

"It's tough to say. Mike Gillis is obviously in charge of the negotiations and making a trade. Florida is definitely one of the spots I'd be willing to go to."

Please quote my post where I said he would refuse a trade to Chicago or Toronto.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
He doesn't seem to like the attention or is comfortable with the expectations and almost looks petrified in front of a camera. I could be wrong but that's how it appears from a distance. Also, maybe he'll want to play for an American based team.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:57 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCracken View Post
He doesn't seem to like the attention or is comfortable with the expectations and almost looks petrified in front of a camera. I could be wrong but that's how it appears from a distance. Also, maybe he'll want to play for an American based team.
Wow. If Kessel walked that would be a disaster for Burke and the Leafs.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

Anyone still think @strombone1 isn't Luongo?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Skead

Quote:
Please quote my post where I said he would refuse a trade to Chicago or Toronto.
Quote:
I'm just saying that the quote everyone keeps mentioning was nothing more than a fluff comment.
Not refuting the team selection for CHI or TOR, I'm saying the answer, in my opinion, is more than just "fluff".

If that isn't the quote you were referring to, my bad.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Then why say he prefers a hockey market?
He said he likes hockey markets, but that he also likes anonymity. Basically left it open for either side.

Closed Thread