HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XX - Trade Another Day

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 12:03 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
You won't find too many Leafs fans upset of this news. If a guy wants to play in Florida over Toronto (assuming all things are equal) then so-be-it. He clearly doesn't belong in a hockey city like Toronto if true.
Or maybe he'd prefer Florida because they are close to family and have a better chance of winning sooner. It may have little to do with which city is more of a hockey city.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
Actually each one works differently, depending on how it is written. Each contract has a different structure, there is no exact specifications for a NTC.

For example, Luongo's has that after the 2013-2014 season he can submit a five team list and ask for a trade to one of those teams, and Vancouver must oblige. However, if Luongo does not submit a list then at the end of the 2015-2016 season the team can ask Luongo to submit a list of five teams. If luongo did submit a list of teams though, then the team forefits it's right to submit a list of teams after the 2015-2016 season.
That's what I mean though - there is no standard procedure where each player with a limited NTC has to provide a list of teams by July 1st each year, regardless of whether they have been informed they will be moved or not.

So it's untrue that Theodore a) provided a list and that b) that Vancouver isn't on that list. At least until I see a link stating otherwise.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:
I guess we could leave it up to T O M L to sensationalize the story then.
Yeah. It wasn't as dramatic as mentioned. Luo is a smart guy and knows the goalie position is a harder one to trade. The only real sure thing out of that interview other then him ready to move on is that he is still a starter and wants to win. Other then that he did not say he would only play for FLA.

Old
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
On the other hand, Canucks fans can start forgetting about asking for the moon. Luongo is going to be a cap dump. No Gudbranson. No Bjugstad. Maybe Versteeg if they can't come to terms with him. Maybe Upshall seeing that he's a bad contract. Clemmensen or Theodore. A pick or two. That's about it. Cheers.

TOML
not too many fans expected gubranson or bjugstad, we Definately hoped or them.

But yea I'd have to agree with u

Old
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Or maybe he'd prefer Florida because they are close to family and have a better chance of winning sooner. It may have little to do with which city is more of a hockey city.
That's exactly what I said. Jinx

Old
07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
No he didn't. He just said it was a great 6 years but that it was time to move on. He even talked about a few teams he would like to play for. It wasn't FLA or bust.
Yeah he said he wouldn't mind playing for Chicago. But he's said that for years. 'He likes the song' etc.

Most of the talk, (from Luongo, not the interviewer), was about family, the benefit of anonymity, and that the Panthers are in a far different position now than when he left.

He of course made reference to it being up to Gillis to make the best deal possible, but he also said that it's up to him to approve the deal.

2 + 2 = Florida. Coming to any other conclusion is a waste of time. imho

But we'll have to wait and see, i guess.

TOML

Old
07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Changes nothing for me, my previous offer still stands.

I think this news gets Burke back on the phone.
Yeah o the 3-4 teams involved. Florida and Vancouver were the only teams affected by this news. Imo

Old
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I truely hope he keeps his options open. I get why FLA would be his preference, but TO is a hockey mad city and not in a bad way.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Numbers

I think that right now how it stands Luongo will be probably going to Florida not because Luo has says he will only play there, but for the reason Tallon will give the best offer at this point.

That being said Gillis will take the best offer, so I think Luo would be still completely open to Toronto. Burke may use last minute heroics and come through for Leaf fans in the end. I think that Luo goes to Toronto it will be a more exotic trade than what we expect.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
medhatcanuck

Man this is sad. Starting to really go down. He'll be missed

Old
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
That's what I mean though - there is no standard procedure where each player with a limited NTC has to provide a list of teams by July 1st each year, regardless of whether they have been informed they will be moved or not.

So it's untrue that Theodore a) provided a list and that b) that Vancouver isn't on that list. At least until I see a link stating otherwise.
The way you stated it it seemed as if you were saying that having a player list a list of 10 teams on July 1st COULD not happen in a no trade clause, which isn't true.

Also, Theodore does have a no trade clause that he has to have a list of 10 teams to be traded too. Link: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...868/story.html

And apparently Vancouver is not on that list.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Yeah o the 3-4 teams involved. Florida and Vancouver were the only teams affected by this news. Imo
I hope you didn't take my post as a negative, what i meant was i'd still pay a fair price even though this news broke.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Reign Nateo

Florida has made the most sense all along. Much better assets, not that I expect a lot in return, and a better squad and brighter next few years. Luongo going to Toronto was always going to be a disaster.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Florida has made the most sense all along. Much better assets, not that I expect a lot in return, and a better squad and brighter next few years. Luongo going to Toronto was always going to be a disaster.
How so?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:15 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
I hope you didn't take my post as a negative, what i meant was i'd still pay a fair price even though this news broke.
Have no idea how I could've perceived it negatively, haha.

Old
KeninsFan
"Unintentional" Tank

vCash: 50
Quote:
How so?
Too much media scrutiny.

The Leafs aren't a good enough team for Luongo to take a night off.
The last thing he wants is to be roasted by 95% of Eastern media after a slow October.

Old
KISSland

Florida's first, Howden, 3rd for Luongo, Raymond. Just make it happen already.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
The way you stated it it seemed as if you were saying that having a player list a list of 10 teams on July 1st COULD not happen in a no trade clause, which isn't true.
That's not what I said at all. I was disputing the 'every year prior to July 1st a new list is submitted' point made by another poster.

Quote:
Also, Theodore does have a no trade clause that he has to have a list of 10 teams to be traded too. Link: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...868/story.html

And apparently Vancouver is not on that list.
'But Theodore has a no-trade clause, which lists 10 teams he can be dealt to without waiving it. The Canucks, ESPN reported, are not among the 10 teams on the list.'

This is where people have been going astray. So Vancouver is not on his original list, signed at the time of his contract. It does not prevent Theodore waiving his NTC to come to Vancouver in a trade however (it will be up to him though).

Old
07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Why? I think he'd be a Demi-god. Luo thrives on bring relied upon heavily. And he'd brim them into the playoffs. I think he'd be great for hockey in Toronto. I dont think he wants to go there though

Old
07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
You won't find too many Leafs fans upset of this news. If a guy wants to play in Florida over Toronto (assuming all things are equal) then so-be-it. He clearly doesn't belong in a hockey city like Toronto if true.
Maybe he just doesn't want to go to the only team that hasn't made the playoffs since the lockout?

Truth be told, I think Luongo wants to go to Florida for family reasons. If what Hockey Widow said is true, it's Florida or Tampa or bust.

07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Florida's first, Howden, 3rd for Luongo, Raymond. Just make it happen already.
Jeez that's an extremely steep price. I think u lower ur expectations quite a bit now

Old
07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Why? I think he'd be a Demi-god. Luo thrives on bring relied upon heavily. And he'd brim them into the playoffs. I think he'd be great for hockey in Toronto. I dont think he wants to go there though
Agree. Luongo playing in a Randy Carlyle system and it could be '06-'07 all over again, but with better offense.

Liferleafer: I'd accept the Kadri, Ashton and an unconditional 1st. It works for both sides.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Too much media scrutiny.

The Leafs aren't a good enough team for Luongo to take a night off.
The last thing he wants is to be roasted by 95% of Eastern media after a slow October.
It's been stated before, the TO media is harsh, but 95% of their venom is directed at management. Here is a question, do you think the difference between Luongo and Reimer/Gus is 7 wins last season? i do, and if it did we have equal points to the panthers. I can literally count that many games lost soley to goaltending. (see link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9cHgz5Ng

Old
frankthetank91

To sum up the past 20 threads of Van vs. TO fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaub...eature=related

Old
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Agree. Luongo playing in a Randy Carlyle system and it could be '06-'07 all over again, but with better offense.

Liferleafer: I'd accept the Kadri, Ashton and an unconditional 1st. It works for both sides.
I would do this deal if that's the best we can get.

Closed Thread