HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Summer Roster Moves VI: Return of the Peg-i

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
So now we want to penalize Vanek for being good on the PP? A point is a point and a goal is a goal, no matter when you get it. If Ryan was that good, he would get the PP time.
no, we just want to point out that ryan is a far better ES point producer

Old
07-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Husko

Essentially Armia, Adam, and a 1st for Pavelski? I'm not a fan

Old
07-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Ryan sure is an elite playoff performer. He has 11 points in 19 games and Vanek had 20 in 36 games. But since someone says only the last 3 years matter ,which means Vanek has 8 points in 10 games that means Vanek is actually the better playoff performer

I just think its funny that im the person whos wrong because I think the 3x 35 goal scorer with the higher career ppg and gpg who gets far less ice time with worse linemates is better then the 1x 35 goal scorer who plays with perennial all stars and gets more ice time. No one is wrong or right comparing the two, but Vanek is not getting the respect he deserves.

Vanek - elite pp performer and best goal scorer from the 03 draft / best draft of all time #fact
i think it's funny too

Old
07-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
In a heart beat. Stafford for Clowe is a wash. You lose a few goals (maybe) and add more mileage, but you also get bigger and more physical in the top six. So it's a top prospect, a middling prospect, and a first for a quality center with a 4M cap hit? Armia might be a beast in a few years, but Pavelski makes this team better up the middle instantly.
SJ fans seem to be in agreement so far.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
For one... I wouldn't believe any GM (100%) what they say to the media ...... And second..... when did he say he wasn't trading any forwards?
When they signed Grigs, said they are probably looking more towards swapping a defense for a forward now.

With Darcy I believe him, he doesnt seem to lead us on. I would not expect a top 6 forward to be traded.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Essentially Armia, Adam, and a 1st for Pavelski? I'm not a fan

Why not?

Old
07-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
When they signed Grigs, said they are probably looking more towards swapping a defense for a forward now.

With Darcy I believe him, he doesnt seem to lead us on. I would not expect a top 6 forward to be traded.
I'm not sure why you're interpreting that as him not wanting to move a forward. I don't see that at all, and I listened to all his interview in the past month. He wants to improve the forward core. If it takes moving a forward to bring in a better forward, you do it.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're interpreting that as him not wanting to move a forward. I don't see that at all, and I listened to all his interview in the past month. He wants to improve the forward core. If it takes moving a forward to bring in a better forward, you do it.
His last comment about trades. Quote him from the press conference. Maybe it was the Ott press conference.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Vanek- Hodgson - Ott

Foligno - Ennis - Clowe

Leino - Pevelski- Pommers

Kaleta - McCormick - Tropp

Gerbe traded....or flip Gerbe with Leino and bury Leino

Old
07-24-2012, 07:19 PM
McTank

Quote:
Vanek- Hodgson - Ott

Foligno - Ennis - Clowe

That is a very good team

Old
07-24-2012, 07:19 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

OK so Ott press conference he says the hope is always to improve the team, Grigs press conference he says most likely a defense for forward.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
His last comment about trades. Quote him from the press conference. Maybe it was the Ott press conference.
It's the Grigs conference, and I just listened to it. He said they could flip a defenseman for a forward in direct response to a question about the defensive depth. I'm not sure how that rules out them moving a forward for another forward, particularly if the right deal presented itself.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Vanek- Hodgson - Ott

Foligno - Ennis - Clowe

Leino - Pavelski- Pommers

That's a deep team and would be much improved over the current roster. There's also a lot of truculence in the top six and you essentially have three second lines to keep rolling. That Ennis line would be mean as heck, too.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:25 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
It's the Grigs conference, and I just listened to it. He said they could flip a defenseman for a forward in direct response to a question about the defensive depth. I'm not sure how that rules out them moving a forward for another forward, particularly if the right deal presented itself.
You dont think that was pretty specific saying swapping a D for a Forward? Obviously he must have it on the table with a team.

Maybe he is holding out hope for a bigger trade, but I expect to see a D for Forward done in the next weeks.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Stafford + Armia +Adam + 1st

For

Pavelski + Clowe

Yes, No, Maybe?
I'd prefer Vanek+Adam+pick for Pavelski/Clowe, Armia is right now one of two prospects that has legitimate first line talent in our pipeline, I'd rather give them vanek and get out from under his overly expensive cap hit.

So then our roster looks like...
Clowe-CoHo-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Pavelski-Ott
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta.

Curse you ville leino. You don't fit in ANYWHERE on this lineup. Sucks too much offensively to automatically warrant a place in the top 6, but isn't good enough defensively to be on a shutdown line (where Gerbe is ideally slotted), but you can't bump him down to the 4th line. He could be the new brad boyes...except who knows if he's even good at shootouts.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
You dont think that was pretty specific saying swapping a D for a Forward? Obviously he must have it on the table with a team.

Maybe he is holding out hope for a bigger trade, but I expect to see a D for Forward done in the next weeks.
I'm sure they'd rather move a defenseman and that might their priority. However, I'm just saying it's premature to say (as you did), that they won't move a forward. He never said they refused to trade any forwards...and what GM would. "Hey, Darcy, Stamkos for John Scott!" "No, sorry, forwards are off limits."

Old
07-24-2012, 07:31 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Vanek- Hodgson - Ott

Foligno - Ennis - Clowe

I jsut dont see how San Jose gives up CLowe, but man do I want him on the Sabres. Talk about the perfect player for this team.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I'd prefer Vanek+Adam+pick for Pavelski/Clowe, Armia is right now one of two prospects that has legitimate first line talent in our pipeline, I'd rather give them vanek and get out from under his overly expensive cap hit.

So then our roster looks like...
Clowe-CoHo-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Pavelski-Ott
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta.

Curse you ville leino. You don't fit in ANYWHERE on this lineup. Sucks too much offensively to automatically warrant a place in the top 6, but isn't good enough defensively to be on a shutdown line (where Gerbe is ideally slotted), but you can't bump him down to the 4th line. He could be the new brad boyes...except who knows if he's even good at shootouts.

Well... I think Id prefer that too.....but for HF sake... SJ seems to want no part of Vaneks contract.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I jsut dont see how San Jose gives up CLowe, but man do I want him on the Sabres. Talk about the perfect player for this team.
Would be one hell of an entertaining team with plenty of "swag"...

Old
07-24-2012, 07:36 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Well... I think Id prefer that too.....but for HF sake... SJ seems to want no part of Vaneks contract.
oh didn't know that, gotcha

Old
07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Would be one hell of an entertaining team with plenty of "swag"...
That lineup you posted would be a good blend of skill and size. There wouldn't be a lot of top-end talent, but it would be a forward core that reminds me very much of the Bruins: a few quality power forwards, a couple young goal scorers, a scary fourth line, and a whole lot of attitude.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That lineup you posted would be a good blend of skill and size. There wouldn't be a lot of top-end talent, but it would be a forward core that reminds me very much of the Bruins: a few quality power forwards, a couple young goal scorers, a scary fourth line, and a whole lot of attitude.

Yup.. I like it a lot ...

I'd also like to move Hodgson in a Booby Ryan package but can't quite come up with the other pieces...

Then roll Ennis, Pavelski and a vet 3rd line center ( Moore,Arnott) until Grigs or Gergs is ready.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i think it's funny too
Ryan isnt coming here and Vanek wont be traded for him.Hes better then Ryan and I am looking forward to this season, the extra ice time that Roys departure has created should go right to Vanek...good news for us since Vaneks goals per / 60 mins is elite and better then Ryans. Two time 40 goal scorer >>> 1 time 35 goal scorer. Gotta love people who use their personal opinion on players to compare them instead of actual production

Old
07-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Ryan isnt coming here and Vanek wont be traded for him.Hes better then Ryan and I am looking forward to this season, the extra ice time that Roys departure has created should go right to Vanek...good news for us since Vaneks goals per / 60 mins is elite and better then Ryans. Two time 40 goal scorer >>> 1 time 35 goal scorer. Gotta love people who use their personal opinion on players to compare them instead of actual production
the bolded is funny... because of how

again... you cant keep repeating stats that don't matter. it actually takes a personal opinion to blind you into using an argument like : "vanek is a 2 time 40 goal scorer"

in 06-7 :
Stastny is a 78 pt player
Jokinen is a 90 pt center
slava kozlov was an 80 pt winger

get a clue... what vanek did in 2007 is completely meaningless. and the proof is in the following 5 seasons, where he barely approached that type of production ONCE.

in today's NHL Vanek is a 30/30/60 forward

you can continue to make poorly thought out comparisons (vanek at ryan's age)... or you can... nevermind, you can continue making bad arguments...no one cares

Old
07-24-2012, 08:55 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Vanek over the past three seasons: 86-101-187 in 229 games
Ryan over those same seasons: 100-92-192 in 245 games

Vanek's the primary target of defenders while Ryan has Perry, Getzlaf, and Selanne to take the heat off of him.

Would I acquire Ryan for Vanek straight up? Of course. But that doesn't mean he's a better offensive threat.

Closed Thread