HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs didn't just "flirt" with Brodeur

Old
07-06-2012, 07:02 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

vCash: 500
Leafs didn't just "flirt" with Brodeur

Apparently we were close:

http://www.bergerbytes.ca/2012/07/le...-with-brodeur/

Quote:
I spoke to one of the more prominent executives in the game and was told the following: “Howard, you should look into the negotiation between Martin Brodeur and the Maple Leafs. I can tell you with fairly good authority that Toronto came close to landing him as a free agent.”

While I was intrigued by such information, it didn’t astonish me. Within the previous hour, I had listened to a recording of Brodeur’s voice on Sportsnet in which he extolled Brian Burke and David Nonis for their determined, consummate attempt at acquiring his services. Though I’ve examined the Leafs with a critical eye this week, I’ll acknowledge, without equivocation, that Burke can be as persuasive and enticing as any GM in hockey once he settles on pursuing a player. It has long been double-B’s ace-in-the-hole and it largely impressed the NHL’s most decorated puck-stopper.

“I don’t want to characterize how close the Leafs were to signing Marty, but I’ll tell you this: If New Jersey hadn’t quickly stepped up with a two-year contract offer, all bets would have been off,”said agent Pat Brisson when I spoke with him earlier today from Los Angeles.

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Wouldn't have shocked me to hear the Leafs offered more money, but on a one-year term.

07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Wouldn't have shocked me to hear the Leafs offered more money, but on a one-year term.
I would guess we offered 2 yrs and NJ matched so he stayed.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:14 AM
dubplatepressure

Isn't this well-known by now? Yes, we were close. Time to move on.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Stephen

I would have offered the guy $18-20 million over 2 years.

Why not?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:21 AM
ALine

Its my impression that Burke doesn't want to offer any Goalie more than one year. I would think if he has been offering both money and the term a little more favourable to the players, we would have a back-up by now. I don't know for certainty what was offered, but by the sounds of it, it was very close, just not perfect. Its not like we don't have a good amount of caps space, and can make more room relatively easily. 2 year 12-14 million, is what i really would have offered. If he's regressed enough in the second year to warrant he no longer be with the team, Marty doesn't seem like the type to play AHL hockey, so he would retire likely.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv

vCash: 50
Son of a

MapleLeafs9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueMapleDawg

The Leafs may have offered $10M. Who knows?

NJ matched or came close and he stayed. Respectable.

He's always been my favourite goalie so I was really hoping he'd come. Especially coming off a SCF appearance. Although at that age he might be that much worn down next season. Reimer would probably have been getting plenty of starts early on.

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I would guess we offered 2 yrs and NJ matched so he stayed.
That's what I think happened. And TBH, look at our roster and tell me we don't have enough space to over pay, as Stephen said. It's not as if our cap space is full with important players. To get a guy like Brodeur here I would've been ok with considerable overpayment. Even a huge signing bonus. On 2 years it's irrelevant if his hit is 8-10 million. It's not our money and it likely is the tipping point for us at least getting into the playoffs and teaching the young team what it takes. Let a smart young man like Reimer watch and learn and not have the monumental pressure of being the first goalie in 7 seasons to lead the biggest team in the NHL to the playoffs.

I would've originally offered 12M over 2 years but would've gone up to 16M over 2 years. Even give 8M in bonuses upon signing to avoid any lockout with 2M in salary that year, then 6M in salary the following. It doesn't fall into the same category as the 'handshake' deals Burke talks about but uses the rules to benefit a rich team and answer our most pressing need.

Oh well, not gonna happen.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Pierre Gotye

He would have been just like Giguere. Win you 1 or 2 games, then lose you about 3-4.

Allaire would try to 'correct' him, and make him worse.

If I was Burke, I'd be making a phone call to Calgary and inquire about what it would take to get Kipper. Calgary needs a facelift, and would probably be very willing to accept a few of our prospects.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
jughead42

It's propaganda. As far as I'm concerned we might as well have an article about how close we were to getting Lidstrom before he packed it in. Burke has done jack squat this offseason to improve this team and the heat is on, so we get some patronizing article about how we "almost" signed a good player. Big deal. Wake me up when he actually does something, all he did here was essentially ensure Brodeur had some leverage to resign with Jersey.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Dayjobdave

It's spilled milk and Berger is just stirring the pot for the existing goalies and hurting our negotiations with Vancouver for the Whale by putting this out there.

But it makes for an easy column before a summer weekend for him, so why not eh?

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:16 AM
ChuckWoods

Came very close indeed.

As someone stated above, they apparently did offer a two year term in the same ballpark as New Jerseys.

New Jersey stepped up with the extra year only when they found out Marty was about to go elsewhere.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:22 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Would have been epic to see a legend in goal for us. I had a gut feeling we would be hard after him, too bad.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:24 AM
StuckOutHere

We should of backed up the money truck. We have the resources and a tonne of cap space this year and next. Oh what could have been.

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Burke is high on both Reimer and Scrivens and just wants an experienced goal tender for one year, to guide them and give them some time to develop and adjust to the NHL game.

Brodeur would have been a good fit for that role and possibly be given an extension, for an additional year if needed but unless Burke can find a good goal tender, on a short contract, we will be starting the season with Reimer and Scrivens.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:39 AM
IBeL13f

There's a very good reason why Burke didn't do all he had to do to sign this guy. It would have taken two years, with probably at least $1-2 million more annually than New Jersey offered. At age 40, Brodeur's contract will be on the books whether he retires, gets injured, sent to the minors, anything short of dying. 2013 marks one of the biggest potential UFA crops we've ever seen, with guys like Getzlaf and Perry who might be available if Anaheim can't agree to terms with them, and Burke is going to want to go hard after those guys.

The risk of signing Brodeur to the kind of contract we would have to in order to succeed in acquiring his services would be very high when you remember that we could have $6-7 million of cap space used up on a 35+ contract that's not even on our roster in that second year.

But like people have said, I'm guessing Burke gave out that 2-year contract (similar money to the Devils one, if I had to wager) and Marty would have taken it if Lamoriello hadn't upped the term.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:52 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
It's propaganda. As far as I'm concerned we might as well have an article about how close we were to getting Lidstrom before he packed it in. Burke has done jack squat this offseason to improve this team and the heat is on, so we get some patronizing article about how we "almost" signed a good player. Big deal. Wake me up when he actually does something, all he did here was essentially ensure Brodeur had some leverage to resign with Jersey.
Gladly. Now go back to sleep and don't post til woken.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Paris in Flames

Definitely think it was the term. I'm sure there were a handful of teams (Toronto, Chicago) sending offers his way but at his age, that extra year is tough to give.

Having said that, I'd have given it to him.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Why not?
Me too. Minimal to lose and a whole lot to gain.

However, as a hockey fan, I'm glad to see Marty start and finish in a Devils' uniform. It should be no other way.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 3 - 3

I don't think he was ever eally serious about leaving NJ. He was just using the other offers as leverage to get the 2nd year.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Ducati1098VII

heard he was offered 8mil for 1 year.
Not a bad chunk o change. Dunno why he took 9 for 2.

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
The risk of signing Brodeur to the kind of contract we would have to in order to succeed in acquiring his services would be very high when you remember that we could have $6-7 million of cap space used up on a 35+ contract that's not even on our roster in that second year.
The days of cap consequences are over. Teams have dumb contracts on the books throughout the league, yet everyone just keeps on going. No one is handcuffed or crippled like Toronto was around 2005 when we had to let everyone walk.

I'm not crying over Brodeur, just generally saying the cap isn't going to just come crashing down and crush half the league...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Ding ding ding.....exactly. Who cares. Now we're reporting on what almost happened? Thats because in Leafland nothing happened so the journalists have to write something. Another signing of a 3rd or 4th liner. Another defensive prospect drafted. Its like groundhog day. If Burke doesn't make a bid for the greatest goalie of our time.....even at 40...then there is something seriously wrong with this GM. Of course he doesn't land him. Brouduer isn't a stiff.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Why not?
Because the cap hit would have been $10M? I pray to god you can understand the importance of THAT...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote