HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs didn't just "flirt" with Brodeur

Old
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The days of cap consequences are over. Teams have dumb contracts on the books throughout the league, yet everyone just keeps on going. No one is handcuffed or crippled like Toronto was around 2005 when we had to let everyone walk.

I'm not crying over Brodeur, just generally saying the cap isn't going to just come crashing down and crush half the league...
We already have a buttload of bad contracts that are pushing up to the cap ceiling without have the legit talent that should be coming with it.

Phaneuf's deal is $1M too big, Connolly, Lombardi, the $1M owed to Armstrong this year and next, Komisarek, Heck even Lupul... Grabovski was maybe a bit overpiad but we didn't want to risk losing him... it adds up...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Because the cap hit would have been $10M? I pray to god you can understand the importance of THAT...
Who cares?

The cap is $70 million, we have $57 million committed before Kulemin signs for around $3 million, leaving us with $60 million.

Throw out Lombardi and Connolly who combine for $8.2 million, whatever change the backup Scrivens makes and replace them with about $2 million in Kadri and Colborne, and we're still comfortably within the cap limits.

Try learning basic math. It's fun.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

we didnt just flirt....... we got blue balled

BillyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
we didnt just flirt....... we got blue balled
Big Blue!

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

I think Marty would have slightly tainted his career by coming here.

We're not the Devils and it would have shown in his performance.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I would have just overpaid for his services for 2 years. 15M over 2 years sounds like a lot but we're not exactly in any cap hell, or in contention mode.

Canucks offered Sundin 10M a year..we could easily offer Brodeur 7.5M.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I would have just overpaid for his services for 2 years. 15M over 2 years sounds like a lot but we're not exactly in any cap hell, or in contention mode.

Canucks offered Sundin 10M a year..we could easily offer Brodeur 7.5M.
What did they offer?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Joey Hoser

I'm not sure what disappoints me more, the fact that Berger still has a writing gig, or that people still read what he has to say.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
daveleaf

Marty would have never come here, it was good leverage to get a second year.

We need someone else....don't know who. A vet that can play backup but if called upon can fill #1 void all year. Luongo is too much and Gillis is out to lunch on that one.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:34 AM
TMLifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
He would have been just like Giguere. Win you 1 or 2 games, then lose you about 3-4.

Allaire would try to 'correct' him, and make him worse.
This is one of the most absurd things I've heard in awhile. This is Martin Brodeur we're talking about, you think Allaire would have the balls to even comment on Brodeur's play? If Brodeur signed here for 2 yrs you could pretty much tell Allaire to take a vacation for a couple of years.

TMLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
ItsOurGame

Did we get to second base?

ItsOurGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
Quote:
He would have been just like Giguere. Win you 1 or 2 games, then lose you about 3-4.

If I was Burke, I'd be making a phone call to Calgary and inquire about what it would take to get Kipper. Calgary needs a facelift, and would probably be very willing to accept a few of our prospects.
Did you really just compare and aging Jiggy to and aging Marty?

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
I would kill any number of people to see Brodeur in blue and white.
I would have been your lookout and provided you with an air tight alibi.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:

If I was Burke, I'd be making a phone call to Calgary and inquire about what it would take to get Kipper. Calgary needs a facelift, and would probably be very willing to accept a few of our prospects.
Not a chance that happens.

And, Allaire wouldn't try to change anything with Brodeur....who is the winningest goaltender that ever lived. AAMOF, I am sure Brodeur could teach Allaire a thing or two.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:48 AM
FireEverybody*

I would have gave the man B. Richards money over 2 years just to see him in the blue and white.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Well we can't do anything about it anymore, I wasn't surprised when he returned to NJ though.

07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
dougy

Im kind of glad we didn't land Brodeur. I don't know why so few people see this but he has been sheltered in New Jersey's defensive system. Obviously he is a very good goalie but has glaring weaknesses mainly the fact that off angle shots and otherwise routine saves for more positionally sound goalies are difficult for him to make. I think we'd see a repeat of Vesa Toskala had Marty come to Toronto. A few highlight reel saves perhaps some games he steals for us but also stretches of bad play that costs us games.

dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy View Post
Im kind of glad we didn't land Brodeur. I don't know why so few people see this but he has been sheltered in New Jersey's defensive system. Obviously he is a very good goalie but has glaring weaknesses mainly the fact that off angle shots and otherwise routine saves for more positionally sound goalies are difficult for him to make. I think we'd see a repeat of Vesa Toskala had Marty come to Toronto. A few highlight reel saves perhaps some games he steals for us but also stretches of bad play that costs us games.

Brodeur wasn't just a benefactor of a system. He was the system. They could play like that because they knew nothing was getting passed Brodeur, and nobody can dump and chase on Brodeur. He was just too good. He is basically the reason for 'the trap'.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Ding ding ding.....exactly. Who cares. Now we're reporting on what almost happened? Thats because in Leafland nothing happened so the journalists have to write something. Another signing of a 3rd or 4th liner. Another defensive prospect drafted. Its like groundhog day. If Burke doesn't make a bid for the greatest goalie of our time.....even at 40...then there is something seriously wrong with this GM. Of course he doesn't land him. Brouduer isn't a stiff.
Judging by your rant, you?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:

I'm not a fan of Allaire, but I don't think even he is that stupid.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:39 AM
showtime8

As much as it would have been a solid hockey move, think about the grand scheme of things from a business stand point.

Jersey sales, advertising,etc. would have all gone through the roof. That's where the title of President for Burke comes into play.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
dougy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post

Brodeur wasn't just a benefactor of a system. He was the system. They could play like that because they knew nothing was getting passed Brodeur, and nobody can dump and chase on Brodeur. He was just too good. He is basically the reason for 'the trap'.
Maybe a few years ago but at this point he is not the same player and its very clear when he gets into games that go back and forth. Take for example the past couple years where the leafs have played the Devils. They have managed to chase him from the net on a few occasions. The wide open brand of hockey gives him trouble and i wouldn't want to see him being forced to play behind a defense like ours on a nightly basis.

dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:06 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy View Post
Maybe a few years ago but at this point he is not the same player and its very clear when he gets into games that go back and forth. Take for example the past couple years where the leafs have played the Devils. They have managed to chase him from the net on a few occasions. The wide open brand of hockey gives him trouble and i wouldn't want to see him being forced to play behind a defense like ours on a nightly basis.
Brodeur was pulled i think 3 times last year, Against us, Minnesota, and Calgary. Not exactly wide open, offensive teams. Just us.
Year before there was just 4 time pulled: once against Carolina, then vs Atlanta, then Buffalo, and Washington. I don't see the evidence that he has lost it against run and gun, wide open teams. Just the leafs and Washington (who were in a system transition at the time to become more defensive)

Our defense will tighten up. You will not see d-men pinching every chance they get, and you will not see forwards lazily back-checking. Under Carlyle, this will be a whole different group, only playing under a proper, responsible coach. And its not like he would have had the workload he has had in previous years. He would have split the load with Reimer in a 60/40 split in Reimers favour IMO.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Oh well. Didn't happen, would of been cool to see, since he was pretty much our last option.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

we've seen a zillion articles like this over the years, it's the classic "we were close" article.

and yet again, Toronto is used as a foil so that the player can get what he wants from the team he wants to go to in reality. happened twice this week now, with Steve Nash and now brodeur.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote