HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I just really want this team to compete on a high level just like Detroit does for years. I am afraid Sather will do something stupid.
I don't think he has ever done anything REALLY stupid in a trade scenario. Just be happy Nash is not a FA.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Eh at the worst, he would include stepan. He wont move kreider or mcd. That won't set us back especially when we added a goal scorer in Nash
Jettisoning our 2nd line center when we are already a bit thin down the middle wont set the team back??

Old
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Lundsanity30 doesnt seem to get that sather isnt trading stepan. He's been posting that sather "throws" stepan in to get it done for the past couple weeks even though sather and staff consider stepan an untouchable.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
My answer to this is go to war with what we have if management doesn't think the time is right for a trade. Sure, you have to give to get, but what some people don't understand is that Sather and Rick Nash hold all of the cards right now. Nash demanded a trade and wants out. You can't blame Howson for asking for the moon, but he's going to lose Nash for peanuts, and deep down he knows it. At this point he's prolonging the inevitable.

My point is that deals can be had without giving up major pieces. If a deal can't be made, let it play out until the deadline and re-assess.
You have to remember that prices go up at the deadline and things that are available now won't all be. If CBJ makes the playoffs there's no way in hell they drop Nash, and if they don't make the playoffs the price for Nash will be through the roof because teams want those last minute changes to make their shot as good as possible. (IE D-heavy wants O, O-heavy wants D--teams that missed the playoffs want youth)... not to mention kids will be tired in december if we don't have a balanced lineup with depth.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:36 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Uhh why would howson lose Nash for peanuts? Don't like the return? Don't trade him. Don't like it Nash? Too bad. You signed the contract. Seriously is anyone else but me sick of athletes whining about wanting to get out of committed contracts??
Oh please, as much as i'm not a fan of nash dont make him the bad guy in this. He was the face of the franchise and Howson offered him a contract no one would refuse. Sorry if he thought that with all the losing they'd be able to draft and develop good young talent to support him. But they havent. Howson has sucked since 2007. He clearly made no adjustments to his scouting department or player development. He has done a garbage job since day 1 on the job. Do you know how many goalies he has drafted since his term began? I think the number is 6-7 from when I checked last night. He took 2 goalies this past draft with CBJ's 2nd and 3rd picks. How many goalies do you have to draft before you figure it out? He drafts zherdev which wasnt working out but then goes and drafts Filatov which also didnt work out. He is a complete moron. He deserves what he gets. And anyone who feels bad for him and thinks he deserves a fair return, knows little about teams outside of the team they support.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Oh please, as much as i'm not a fan of nash dont make him the bad guy in this. He was the face of the franchise and Howson offered him a contract no one would refuse. Sorry if he thought that with all the losing they'd be able to draft and develop good young talent to support him. But they havent. Howson has sucked since 2007. He clearly made no adjustments to his scouting department or player development. He has done a garbage job since day 1 on the job. Do you know how many goalies he has drafted since his term began? I think the number is 6-7 from when I checked last night. He took 2 goalies this past draft with CBJ's 2nd and 3rd picks. How many goalies do you have to draft before you figure it out? He drafts zherdev which wasnt working out but then goes and drafts Filatov which also didnt work out. He is a complete moron. He deserves what he gets. And anyone who feels bad for him and thinks he deserves a fair return, knows little about teams outside of the team they support.
I don't feel bad for him at all. .. and just because he made dumb moves in the past, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a fair return for the face of his franchise, the captain of his team, and the only reason fans will continue to watch their games? Right, he should just give Nash to the Rangers for Dubinsky straight up.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:46 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Only player I'd want to trade for is Weber.

Nash's contract sucks (even if he hopefully gets back to 40 goals), and Ryan is horribly inconsistent. I think Bobby gets a pass on these boards because he's American, but half of the Ducks games I've watched I didn't even know he was playing.

Weber is a sure-as-**** player, you know what you get. And that is the best defenseman in the league, a top-10 player league wide.

Imagine Weber this summer, Perry next?

I'd be cheesing my balls off.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I don't feel bad for him at all. .. and just because he made dumb moves in the past, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a fair return for the face of his franchise, the captain of his team, and the only reason fans will continue to watch their games? Right, he should just give Nash to the Rangers for Dubinsky straight up.
No one said that. He isnt going to get the return he wants. He has a player who wants out and has a NMC with a $7.8 cap hit.

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Thomas, 1st rd, 2nd rd

Thats plenty fair. Its only not fair because he and his staff are a bunch of morons and will ruin those picks.

Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Fair is what the market is willing to pay. And it's pretty clear that the market isn't willing to pay as much as Howson wants for a 30g scorer making 7.8 mil a year for the next 6 years.

If they don't like our offer, fine. Keep Nash. We get him at our price or we don't get him. We have to be ok with that. Last time I checked, we were the team that finished 1st in the eastern conference and went to the ECF, and columbus was the worst team in the league. I know you and some others are desperate for us to make a big move, but the team isn't, and shouldn't be.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
No one said that. He isnt going to get the return he wants. He has a player who wants out and has a NMC with a $7.8 cap hit.

Thats plenty fair. Its only not fair because he and his staff are a bunch of morons and will ruin those picks.
Has Sather even offered that? The offer at the deadline was for dubinsky and 4 prospects. No matter what anyone says, you can't trade the only reason people watch your games for prospects.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Fair is what the market is willing to pay. And it's pretty clear that the market isn't willing to pay as much as Howson wants for a 30g scorer making 7.8 mil a year for the next 6 years.

If they don't like our offer, fine. Keep Nash. We get him at our price or we don't get him. We have to be ok with that. Last time I checked, we were the team that finished 1st in the eastern conference and went to the ECF, and columbus was the worst team in the league. I know you and some others are desperate for us to make a big move, but the team isn't, and shouldn't be.
The latest report is we don't need to offer Kreider, Stepan or McDonagh to get a deal done. They are asking for Couture from San Jose (that is absurd) or Skinner from Carolina (that is absurd). Willing to do a deal without Stepan, Kreider or McDonagh (even if ts del zotto and hagelin as pieces) is not absurd. I'm sorry that Ranger fans think they can get super star talents without giving up value in return.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Has Sather even offered that? The offer at the deadline was for dubinsky and 4 prospects. No matter what anyone says, you can't trade the only reason people watch your games for prospects.
You certainly can trade for SOME prospects when you should be going through a rebuild and have faith in your drafting and developing.

But they dont.

Howson wants roster players and prospects that are close or on the cusp of the nhl so they dont have tp develop them aka...ruin the prospects development

Old
07-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
You certainly can trade for SOME prospects when you should be going through a rebuild and have faith in your drafting and developing.

But they dont.

Howson wants roster players and prospects that are close or on the cusp of the nhl so they dont have tp develop them aka...ruin the prospects development
He's trading the face of his franchise, and a 30+ goal scorer every year, of course he's gonna want people who can produce right away.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:54 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
The latest report is we don't need to offer Kreider, Stepan or McDonagh to get a deal done. They are asking for Couture from San Jose (that is absurd) or Skinner from Carolina (that is absurd). Willing to do a deal without Stepan, Kreider or McDonagh (even if ts del zotto and hagelin as pieces) is not absurd. I'm sorry that Ranger fans think they can get super star talents without giving up value in return.
You ignored what GAG's point was. He is clearly saying that if you cant get him at the price you want, you move on. Howson doesnt have the leverage. His point also was that it is fans like you who want to make a big move so bad you become so
short sighted. You dont make desperate moves. The way some act on this board, it wreaks of desperation

Old
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
beastly115

Quote:

You're forgetting we have the leverage here. Nash has a very small list of teams he will go to. The market is created by those teams and only those teams. Therefore, Nash's trade value is equal to the best package any of those teams put together. Howson is trying to create a market of 29 teams when in reality it is only 5 teams. ****** position for him to be in but it's reality.

My point is that a "fair" trade package is not equal to market value. Why should we pay fair value when market value is well below that?

Old
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
You ignored what GAG's point was. He is clearly saying that if you cant get him at the price you want, you move on. Howson doesnt have the leverage. His point also was that it is fans like you who want to make a big move so bad you become so
short sighted. You dont make desperate moves. The way some act on this board, it wreaks of desperation
which is fine, but if Sather is not willing to part with any talent other than dubinsky or AA (not even hagelin), than people need to stop making Howson look like the madman, Sather is just not willing to give up any value (which is OK), but we shouldn't even be discussing this deal than.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post

Nash's contract sucks (even if he hopefully gets back to 40 goals), and Ryan is horribly inconsistent. I think Bobby gets a pass on these boards because he's American, but half of the Ducks games I've watched I didn't even know he was playing.

Weber is a sure-as-**** player, you know what you get. And that is the best defenseman in the league, a top-10 player league wide.

If we were able to get Weber(I am not saying we will),

The only way we can bring in Perry is if we can move Gaborik in his last year(and he is willing to move).

Old
07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post

Thats impossible unless the cap goes up in the future.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Thats impossible unless the cap goes up in the future.
Moving Gab's salary could make it work.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
And if I had anything new on the Rick Nash front, Id have shared it. Again, earlier this week got a pretty strong signal from someone familiar with the situation that San Jose was dropping down the list of places he would most likely end up.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...t-that-bridge/

That's a small list to teams to begin with.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Lundsanity30

So is that report saying that San Jose is out?

Old
07-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
So is that report saying that San Jose is out?
Seems like that is other suitor. I doubt Pitt has any real interest.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:12 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I never suggested that we should get a superstar (which Nash isn't) for little value. What I said is that I'm fine with us offering little value and if that isn't good enough so be it.

Do you honestly believe that Howson asked for Couture and Skinner and isn't asking for one of McD, Kreider or Stepan? Don't believe everything you read.

Until some other team offers more, why should we up our offer at all? Howson is under much more pressure to trade Nash than we are to acquire him.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:15 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
which is fine, but if Sather is not willing to part with any talent other than dubinsky or AA (not even hagelin), than people need to stop making Howson look like the madman, Sather is just not willing to give up any value (which is OK), but we shouldn't even be discussing this deal than.
No one is willing to give up that value. It isn't just Sather. I don't blame Howson for wanting the moon. I blame him for still thinking he will get it.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I never suggested that we should get a superstar (which Nash isn't) for little value. What I said is that I'm fine with us offering little value and if that isn't good enough so be it.

Do you honestly believe that Howson asked for Couture and Skinner and isn't asking for one of McD, Kreider or Stepan? Don't believe everything you read.

Until some other team offers more, why should we up our offer at all? Howson is under much more pressure to trade Nash than we are to acquire him.
You're right we don't need Nash neccessarily, we need someone to help the scoring though, thats an obvious. It doesn't have to be right now, but it has to be sometime and SOONER OR LATER, when we do need scoring (as if we don't right now) and someone else becomes available, they are going to ask the Rangers for the same people. You don't get top scoring by giving up little value, that's just not happening most of the time.

Closed Thread