HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 03:14 PM
dtrap

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
So what?? This is a negotiation that's going on, not Howson dictating his wishes. The Rangers aren't desperate for Rick Nash. If they go into the season with the lineup they have now, that's preferable to overpaying in a trade. Sather can afford to wait, and that means Howsons leverage is considerably diminished
What leverage?

His options are the Rangers, the Rangers...oh and the Rangers...

Howson will have to break at some point...whether it be the Rangers starting to negotiate with Doan or Semin or reports of them getting close with Anaheim about Bobby Ryan.

I honestly think after tomorrow when Doan's situation starts to clear up that you might see Howson begin to bend.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:15 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Honestly if you move Dubi and Anisimov, you are still left with a 3rd line Center spot open. Unless you want Boyle getting those minutes.
We just got through an entire season doing just that.

IF it really becomes an issue, thats a problem we can fix at the deadline or who knows, maybe even JT Miller is ready to step in at that role by then (not saying he'll be ready, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.)

Old
07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
So what?? This is a negotiation that's going on, not Howson dictating his wishes. The Rangers aren't desperate for Rick Nash. If they go into the season with the lineup they have now, that's preferable to overpaying in a trade. Sather can afford to wait, and that means Howsons leverage is considerably diminished
I was merely pointing out that they don't want defensive prospects, so Erixon/McIlrath although safer than Thomas are probably not all that attractive. Negotiations are not one way.

If you think trading Haglein is severely overpaying(which is completely over blown), we will agree to disagree about this then.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Monzo wanted to trade Kreider in the Nash deal in February. He is such an idiot. That guy would be screaming and yelling on twitter after the Rangers lost 1 game in 10 games.

Quote:
The next two pieces are prospects: Chris Kreider and Tim Erixon. Kreider is the Rangers best offensive prospect they’ve had in a very long time. He was drafted 19th overall in 2009. He has played three seasons now at Boston College. This season he has scored 19 goals in 32 games. Speed is his game, and some people believe he is a better skater than Rangers current speedster Carl Hagelin. There’s no doubting Kreider has a promising future in the NHL. Still — he is unproven in the NHL, and there is no guarantee that Kreider will be the player that Nash is.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...add-rick-nash/

Ken Campbell wrote in THN last month. Many GMs wouldn't trade Kreider straight up for Nash.

Quote:
Nash was nearly dealt to the Rangers at the deadline, but Glen Sather wouldn’t part with prospect Chris Kreider. In February, I was all about Nash and would have moved Kreider, but seeing how Kreider played in the postseason, I’m grateful that Sather held off.
Dumbass

Quote:
Again, Dubinsky would be included in this deal along with perhaps Del Zotto and the Rangers’ 28th overall pick in the draft. They have to sweeten the offer from there and could add 2011 first-round pick JT Miller or Carl Hagelin, who is coming off a nice rookie season. Or the Rangers could add their first-round pick in 2013 giving the Blue Jackets a chance to really rebuild their system over the next two years.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...ick-nash-deal/

Howson wishes Monzo was running the Rangers. Brian should stick to picking losers at the track and producing radio shows on WFAN.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
What leverage?

His options are the Rangers, the Rangers...oh and the Rangers...

Howson will have to break at some point...whether it be the Rangers starting to negotiate with Doan or Semin or reports of them getting close with Anaheim about Bobby Ryan.

I honestly think after tomorrow when Doan's situation starts to clear up that you might see Howson begin to bend.
Exactly. And if he doesnt? The Rangers still aren't desperate.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Lundsanity30

Look its a moot point because the Rangers are not gonna trade Stepan for Nash if Sather hasn't already done so. but the guy we are getting is RICK NASH people. I don't care if Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov or hell even Brian Boyle is the center on his line, he scored 30+ goals with DERICK BRASSARD, I"m sure he will do so with any of the above mentioned.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:19 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Exactly. And if he doesnt? The Rangers still aren't desperate.
Honestly I hope there is a film crew with Howson during these negotiations. I think the resulting reality TV special would be hilarious.

Can you imagine Howson doing a Real World style interview, staring into the camera crying because Sather won't give up Kreider.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I was merely pointing out that they don't want defensive prospects, so Erixon/McIlrath although safer than Thomas are probably not all that attractive. Negotiations are not one way.

If you think trading Haglein is severely overpaying(which is completely over blown), we will agree to disagree about this then.
Trading Hagelin, while upsetting, wouldn't be that big of a problem for me. It's trading him AND another roster forward that's the problem

Old
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Kevin Allen talks available centers and Nash.

Nash bit starts about ~6:45.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-07-2012, 03:21 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Look its a moot point because the Rangers are not gonna trade Stepan for Nash if Sather hasn't already done so. but the guy we are getting is RICK NASH people. I don't care if Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov or hell even Brian Boyle is the center on his line, he scored 30+ goals with DERICK BRASSARD, I"m sure he will do so with any of the above mentioned.
That's all good and fine...but honestly if we trade for him I want him to score 40 or 50...not 30.

30 goal scorers are rare in the NHL these days...but this is a guy who SHOULD score more than that.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Barnaby

I could live with...

Dubinsky, Anisimov or Hagelin, Prospect, 1st...

I'd rather keep Hagelin though... and I would try to keep Miller/Mclrath...

Old
07-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Trading Hagelin, while upsetting, wouldn't be that big of a problem for me. It's trading him AND another roster forward that's the problem
Well you got to move Dubi irregardless because of Cap issues. Neither of those guys are irreplaceable .

Old
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
That's all good and fine...but honestly if we trade for him I want him to score 40 or 50...not 30.

30 goal scorers are rare in the NHL these days...but this is a guy who SHOULD score more than that.
40 is entirely possible with the talent he would be surrounded with.

Do you guys know the talent Nash was with last year and still scored 30? RJ Umberger and Derick Brassard .That's a FAR cry from either Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik, or even Chris Kreider and Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
I'm more comfortable with Boyle as the 3c than Anisimov as the 2c.
Oh I agree 100%. I was just explaining why, if push came to shove I would trade Hags before AA. As much as I like Hags.

JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Dubinsky/Hagelin/1st would work for me. Keep Arty for the 3rd line C spot. Sign Mueller.

Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Mueller-Anisimov-Pyatt
Rupp-Boyle-Asham

Old
07-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Dubinsky/Hagelin/1st would work for me. Keep Arty for the 3rd line C spot. Sign Mueller.

Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Mueller-Anisimov-Pyatt
Rupp-Boyle-Asham
I would do that deal in a heartbeat. I'd even include a prospect.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:25 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Buffalo needs size at center. Hodgson and Ennis are small centers. Dubinsky for Stafford. Brandon is a better all around player with Stafford being a better finisher. Brooks wrote teams contacted Sather about Dubinsky with the idea of moving Dubinsky back to center. Regier still wants to change his mix after moving Roy. Dubinsky and Stafford have the same term left with Dubinsky having an extra $200K cap hit. A full year for Kreider. Another season for Stepan. A full year for Hagelin. Add Stafford's 20 plus goals. He had 30 plus in 10-11 in 62 games. Sather is careful and picky when it comes to adding term and salary in trades. Taking on Rash is a 6 year commitment which is something Sather doesn't do. He will sign a player to a 6 year contract as a free agent but he doesn't acquire them in trades. The last big term acquired was Jagr for Carter with the Caps paying a significant amount of salary remaining.
Looks good to me. Always liked Stafford.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Well you got to move Dubi irregardless because of Cap issues. Neither of those guys are irreplaceable .
On a flat Cap, The Rangers might be over by a million if they traded AA or Hagelin for Nash, but nothing unmanageable. I disagree with your analysis there. Im not home so I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. I remember it not being a problem though. If you resign DZ and Stralman, you've got about $6m left.

Old
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
40 is entirely possible with the talent he would be surrounded with.

Do you guys know the talent Nash was with last year and still scored 30? RJ Umberger and Derick Brassard .That's a FAR cry from either Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik, or even Chris Kreider and Brandon Dubinsky.
Oh and I realize that. I was simply saying that if we trade for him I want 40 or 50 haha.

There is one team with two 40 goal guys...Pittsburgh. Hell there were only 4 40 goal guys at all last year. It sure would be nice to have two 40 goal guys.

Old
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I could live with...

Dubinsky, Anisimov or Hagelin, Prospect, 1st...

I'd rather keep Hagelin though... and I would try to keep Miller/Mclrath...
Dubinsky, Anisimov, Thomas, 1st

That's as high as I'm comfortable going for Nash. If Howson bends, great, if not, I won't be torn up. That would leave us with the following, pending other changes.

Nash - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Hagelin - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Haley/Newbury - Asham

For comparison's sake, without that Nash move:

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - Anismov - Pyatt
Rupp - Boyle - Asham

Howson obviously has no leverage--his grand designs for a bidding war have failed. There is absolutely no reason to buckle to his demands.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

i know that is it a big stretch, but hypothetically--
what are the odds that thomas gets a call-up mid-season... or even that he wins a spot at camp being that gaborik is out? is there any chance at all that he'd be able to hold his own at least until gaborik returns?

cause as it stands right now we still need a top 6 forward to replace gaborik regardless of what happens with free agency/trades.

figure our lineup going into the season is:
kreider/stepan/callahan
hagelin/richards/XXXX
anisimov/dubinsky/pyatt?
rupp/boyle/aham

who do we have that can fit that role?
i guess i could see:
kreider/richards/hagelin
anisimov/stepan/callahan

but we'd be at a big loss to start the season. is there any chance thomas is ready?

Old
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
Looks good to me. Always liked Stafford.
Add Stafford for Dubi...sign Doan for a couple years...could be nice!

Still would rather have Nash though.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Barnaby

Quote:

Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Mueller-Anisimov-Pyatt
Rupp-Boyle-Asham
I'd try this as my top 6...

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Nash - Stepan - Callahan

The days where you can shut down one line to kill the scoring is over. Either Gabby or Nash get away rom opposing teams top D-pairings and shut down lines...

Tortorella mixes and matched all game anyway tho so this is stupid speculation...

Old
07-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

Nash - Stepan - Callahan

The days where you can shut down one line to kill the scoring is over. Either Gabby or Nash get away rom opposing teams top D-pairings and shut down lines...

Tortorella mixes and matched all game anyway tho so this is stupid speculation...
True, Torts doesn't know what lines are.. I agree though IF we got Nash, he doesn't play with Gaborik IMO.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:31 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:

Nash - Stepan - Callahan

I actually like this more. The D will focus on Gaborik so Kreider will have space to score, and Nash will face lesser D pairings.

Could have 3 30 goal guys there, but that's optimistic.

Closed Thread