HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Brichards View Post
His stats seem to indicts otherwise
His play doesn't...

Old
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
His play doesn't...
Stats are the main factor in decision making. Then you move on to other factors. Besides, stats and play are interchangeable, not two separate entities.

Brandon Prust's "play" on the ice was great, but where were the statistics? Just going by Ranger examples of players the fans loved, Jed Ortmeyer was a god the way he played. How could you not love that?

0 goals. 0 points. That's how you could not love it. It isn't the sole factor, but the most important one.

At the end of the day you have to score more goals than the opponent does, and how hard you competed will not matter if you can never get over the hump.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Stats are the main factor in decision making. Then you move on to other factors. Besides, stats and play are interchangeable, not two separate entities.

Brandon Prust's "play" on the ice was great, but where were the statistics? Just going by Ranger examples of players the fans loved, Jed Ortmeyer was a god the way he played. How could you not love that?

0 goals. 0 points. That's how you could not love it. It isn't the sole factor, but the most important one.

At the end of the day you have to score more goals than the opponent does, and how hard you competed will not matter if you can never get over the hump.
Gaborik disappears at times as well... But at the end of the day he can pot 35-40 goals so I live with it.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Semin had 34 goals in 64 games one season, and 40 in 73 the next. He's been on a decline since, but Ryan's last year is nothing to write home about either.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 07-07-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Semin had 34 goals in 64 games one season, and 40 in 73 the next. He's been on a decline since, but Ryan's last year is nothing to right home about either.
Agreed, if assets are the same, I take Nash over Ryan. 30 goals from Nash w umberger and brassard is much more impressive than 30 with Getzlaf and Perry

Old
07-07-2012, 08:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Yeah, he's fine. Homegrown and all. I like that. But not irreplaceable. And not on the level of McD, Staal or potential-wise what Kreider may be.
Okay, say we trade Stepan in a deal for Nash. Who replaces Stepan?

Old
07-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Not advocating trading stepan, but Nash has not needed a great center to put up 30 goals or more

Old
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Center-wise, you either make another trade or move your ranks up. Dubinsky goes back to center is a possibility. Or, maybe a prospect makes the team.

Richards
Anisimov
Boyle
Insert Player out of Camp/FA signing here

People get all caught up in "lines" but it's really whatever is working that week. Especially in Torts system. No combination every stays the same. Least of our worries. Nash > Stepan. Ryan > Stepan. Improvement is improvement.

Dubinsky isn't going to have another season like last years, either.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Center-wise, you either make another trade or move your ranks up. Dubinsky goes back to center is a possibility. Or, maybe a prospect makes the team.

Richards
Anisimov
Boyle

People get all caught up in "lines" but it's really whatever is working that week. Especially in Torts system. No combination every stays the same. Least of our worries. Nash > Stepan. Ryan > Stepan. Improvement is improvement.

I am sure Dubi can put up 45 pts like brassard who is actually their first line center

Old
07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I am sure Dubi can put up 45 pts like brassard who is actually their first line center
Considering he put up 54 points two years ago, I'd hope so.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Hardly.

Both are inconsistent floaters. Semin is much better defensively, though. Maybe differently built players...but there is a comparison to make between the two.

The main difference is one is American and the other is Russian, which is why one is beaten into the ground with criticism and the other is looked upon with a heavenly aura, despite both being incredibly flawed players.
I gotta disagree.

Ryan uses his size to out up points and inconsistencies aside, I think the biggest think separating him from the elite is an extra gear, more specifically his inability to maneuver at high speed.

Semin is more of a dangler. He's more naturally talentd than Ryan, which is part of the reason he gets so much grief. From a talent standpoint, he should serve along the lines of Washington's 1A, similar to Malkin in Pitts.

Outside of production, I don't see the comparison at all.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Henrik Lundqvist‏@HLundqvist30

Relaxing night on the terrace with my neighbor.Took me 3 years but he is now a Ranger fan Devils fan for 25 years.. http://pic.twitter.com/J7RA5RzC

AWESOME JOB BY HENK!

Old
07-07-2012, 08:37 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

Richards
Anisimov
Boyle

Dubi would be traded along with Stepan. But even if he wasn't, you can't count on a him filling the 2nd line center spot. Except for taking draws, he's hardly played center the last 2 years.

Artie is coming off a down year himself and has yet to show that he can be a 2nd line center. Again, not someone you want to count on in that spot.

No rookie is going to take that spot. It's just not going to happen.

And as for trades, what 2nd line center is available? How much will he cost? What other moves will we have to make to plug the holes left by that trade?

The bottom line is, you don't fix one problem by creating another. Stepan is our best option for 2nd line center and trading him will create a problem.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Boyle should never be this teams third line center to those proposing that.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
This Monzo guy is a ****. Stepan being a lesser player than Nash isn't the problem, the problem is replacing Stepan at center. Anisimov, Boyle, nor Dubinsky are 2nd line centers.
I agree. I think that's the biggest issue. It creates a pretty noticeable hole at center. So in the end, it would be like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I don't think moving Stepan for Nash makes sense from a logistics standpoint, had nothing to do with talent.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Believe me, I'm not a Boyle fan. But he plays that role already because of Torts. Minutes is what matters, not lines. I'm just proposing what will happen anyway.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Dubi would be traded along with Stepan. But even if he wasn't, you can't count on a him filling the 2nd line center spot. Except for taking draws, he's hardly played center the last 2 years.

Artie is coming off a down year himself and has yet to show that he can be a 2nd line center. Again, not someone you want to count on in that spot.

No rookie is going to take that spot. It's just not going to happen.

And as for trades, what 2nd line center is available? How much will he cost? What other moves will we have to make to plug the holes left by that trade?

The bottom line is, you don't fix one problem by creating another. Stepan is our best option for 2nd line center and trading him will create a problem.
I don't care either way, but what people fail to realize is Nash is gonna put up 30 regardless of who his center is. He's done it now for 7 years. I don't care if Brian freaking boyle was his center, he would still put up 30 on his own

Old
07-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Could Dubinsky? With AA as the 3rd line center

Old
07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Center-wise, you either make another trade or move your ranks up.
So, either make a trade that isnt there or just accept this team will be worse down the middle.

That seems like a wonderful way to manage the roster.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Were not trading stepan. Dont even bother with the lineup proposals.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Lundsanity30

Maybe we can get Nash for Brian boyle

Old
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Maybe we can get Nash for Brian boyle
not straight up but for some reason i have a feeling it may work. most fans see boyle in a strange light. he had one good year and people respect him as a 20 goal scoring power forward

Old
07-07-2012, 08:57 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
As you say suppose Stepan is traded.

Let's say we lost:

A)Dubi
B)Stepan
C)Prust
D)FEds

Has the character of the team changed?

The Rangers were a defensive team pure and simple. I might be the only one who maintains that the Defense isn't nearly as strong as most believe without the forwards/centers buying into the system. If one believes that the holes have been replaced by this off seasons acquisitions then my point is not a consideration. All I'm saying is that in the quest (albeit necessary) to attract more scoring the nature of the team shouldn't be altered too dramatically.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Dactyl

is it possible to trade step and 1st for nash then trade dubi and 3 3rds for a solid #2? dont want to do this but it may be a decent option

Old
07-07-2012, 09:11 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
is it possible to trade step and 1st for nash then trade dubi and 3 3rds for a solid #2? dont want to do this but it may be a decent option
For one stepan and a 1st isnt enough.

Two, I dont know what world youre living in if you think sather is trading 3 draft picks for a #2 center.

Three were not trading stepan

Closed Thread