HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The HFBoards Food thread

Old
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
KISSland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
That shmoozie looks quite good right now...
I've been eating the same smoothie the passed 6 days so it's becoming redundant.. Which is probably why I'm getting bored of the taste.

Getting frozen strawberries, and mixed frozen berries this week.

Just add yogurt, protein powder, and benefibre.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:09 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
im vegan
me too me too

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50

Candied bacon.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Candied bacon.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:26 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Best ****ing chips ever

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

For snacks I try to stick with veggies and hummus or fruits.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Best ****ing chips ever
Yes sir. Nothing comes close.

Ms. Vickies Jalapeno is a distant 2nd.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:51 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Sweet Chilli Heat Doritos are my football snack.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:01 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Best ****ing chips ever
I would agreed with you, but at a time I'd eat them everyday.. now I can't stand them.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Where men eat.

Quote:
Turns out there are guy-food categories: steakhouses, barbecue joints, seafood shacks, brew pubs, taco stands, pizza parlors, burger spots, sandwich places and “adventurous eating.” And now Men’s Health magazine has announced the nine finalists, one in each of those categories, for its “2012 Manliest Restaurants in America” competition.

Men’s Health neglects to explain precisely what makes these places manly when so many millions of women are fond of barbecue, pizza, steak, tacos, burgers, sandwiches and brew pubs, but perhaps this was nothing more than a flimsy men’s magazine conceit, to permit the introduction of a high-concept contest.

In any event, there were 84,341 votes for the nominees, the magazine says, and the winner of the competition will be announced in December. The nominees include the Cattleman’s Steakhouse in Fabens, Tex., on a sprawling 32,000-acre ranch “where coyotes come up to the window to peer in as you eat your steaks”; Oklahoma Joe’s in Kansas City, Kan., which sold 400,000 pounds of brisket last year, in addition to ribs, pulled pork, chicken and sausage; and Burt’s Place in Chicago, where the pizza is baked in decades-old cast-iron pans.

And another manly finalist is Katz’s Delicatessen in Manhattan, chosen for its cured pastrami and its house-made pickles, and because “it’s older than Yosemite National Park.”

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:55 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

- Burritos
- Tacos
- Steak
- Pasta
- Burgers
- Bacon

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I've been eating the same smoothie the passed 6 days so it's becoming redundant.. Which is probably why I'm getting bored of the taste.

Getting frozen strawberries, and mixed frozen berries this week.

Just add yogurt, protein powder, and benefibre.
I love fruit smoothies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
RayP

Made a killer tomato and garlic chutney, as well as a habanero roasted hot sauce, also amazing.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

I just made a panna cotta using molecular cooking. Come at me bro.

08-07-2012, 08:37 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
have you done alginate pearls yet? pretty cool stuff

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...wprss=rss_food

Quote:
It’s meteorologically impossible to pinpoint the exact temperature at which the idea of cooking — that is, using some form of heat to prepare a meal — becomes completely unpalatable. By this point in the season, though, it’s clear that summer’s cumulative sizzle can zap the enthusiasm for the kitchen. Dinner may need making each night, but it’s nice when it doesn’t bring on a deep sweat.

The goal is to develop non-cooking preparations that are at once attractive, inspiring and satisfying. The inspiring part demands some thought. Anybody can toss together a PB&J, but a meal should be more than just bread and condiments. Create a play on Sunday lox by pairing smoked salmon with caper ricotta and peppery quick pickles. Or stack an Italian panino with thinly sliced salami and a marinated fennel salad.
Basically this article suggests multiple recipes that can be made without the use of microwaves or stoves. Interesting read

Old
08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
KISSland

Quote:
What? Recipe? Video? Something?

Old
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

It's Jose Andres!

Old
08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

A few years ago, I saw the Voltaggio Brothers make some ice cream homemade, in a molecular gastronomic fashion, without the use of fancy tools. Was some cool stuff

Old
08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 243
Peanut butter a condiment? Blasphemy.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
have you done alginate pearls yet? pretty cool stuff
Yep. I made some tiny pearls of strawberry syrup (caviar) that I mixed in the panna cotta, so you had the creamy vanilla cream gelatin and when you crunched in it, you had all those tiny pearls exploding and filling your mouth with this light syrup.
Quote:
What? Recipe? Video? Something?
That's another approach to cooking. There are some fancy stuffs you can make with molecular cooking - in my case I just use powders that allow me to make airs, gels, pearls, caviar, etc. Pretty cool and fun to do, and it always impress people I have over. I didn't take any photos of my panna cotta since it was just a test to make sure it worked and that it would taste great. Didn't follow any recipe really (I hate following recipes), but you can see some of the stuff that inspired me on this Youtube Channel and on this website.
http://www.molecularrecipes.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/MoleculeRflavors/videos

In my case, I made the panna cotta using gelatin, then I mixed up some of the pearls I made with strawberry syrup (homemade of course) - which is basically a process in which a fine, thin gel is formed at the surface of the liquid while the rest is still liquid inside - then when the first half was set (made it in 3 steps), I poured a bit of raspberry syrup that I boiled with agar-agar - to have two gel textures since agar-agar doesn't give up the same texture as gelatin -, waited it to set, and then filled the rest of the bowl with panna cotta again, in which I added more pearls. Once everything was set, I made what they call "air" - which is basically a mousse that looks like soap foam/mousse - with a vanilla flavor, that I served on top of it.

Ix probably knows about this a bit more than I do, since like I said, I just use powders, when there are so much more other possibilities with molecular gastronomy... Well, I know I made a chocolate mousse, a recipe inspired by Heston Blumenthal, which is pretty cool too and doesn't require anything else than water and chocolate.

Blumenthal is a master in this art (after all, cooking is an art !), as well as Ferran Adrià, chef of the former restaurant elBulli.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
KISSland

Just curious are you a chef yourself or is this pretty easy? Sounds difficult.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Yep. I made some tiny pearls of strawberry syrup (caviar) that I mixed in the panna cotta, so you had the creamy vanilla cream gelatin and when you crunched in it, you had all those tiny pearls exploding and filling your mouth with this light syrup.

That's another approach to cooking. There are some fancy stuffs you can make with molecular cooking - in my case I just use powders that allow me to make airs, gels, pearls, caviar, etc. Pretty cool and fun to do, and it always impress people I have over. I didn't take any photos of my panna cotta since it was just a test to make sure it worked and that it would taste great. Didn't follow any recipe really (I hate following recipes), but you can see some of the stuff that inspired me on this Youtube Channel and on this website.
http://www.molecularrecipes.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/MoleculeRflavors/videos

In my case, I made the panna cotta using gelatin, then I mixed up some of the pearls I made with strawberry syrup (homemade of course) - which is basically a process in which a fine, thin gel is formed at the surface of the liquid while the rest is still liquid inside - then when the first half was set (made it in 3 steps), I poured a bit of raspberry syrup that I boiled with agar-agar - to have two gel textures since agar-agar doesn't give up the same texture as gelatin -, waited it to set, and then filled the rest of the bowl with panna cotta again, in which I added more pearls. Once everything was set, I made what they call "air" - which is basically a mousse that looks like soap foam/mousse - with a vanilla flavor, that I served on top of it.

Ix probably knows about this a bit more than I do, since like I said, I just use powders, when there are so much more other possibilities with molecular gastronomy... Well, I know I made a chocolate mousse, a recipe inspired by Heston Blumenthal, which is pretty cool too and doesn't require anything else than water and chocolate.

Blumenthal is a master in this art (after all, cooking is an art !), as well as Ferran Adrià, chef of the former restaurant elBulli.
I always had issues getting the ratios just right and I felt like the caviar would firm up all the way through, so I would never get a good pop of flavor. Always had fun tinkering with that stuff though, but when I have time to really cook these days I stay more traditional in style.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Just curious are you a chef yourself or is this pretty easy? Sounds difficult.
It's not difficult at all, and no I'm not a chef, I just love cooking, and mixing it with another of my passion, chemistry, just makes this even more interesting.

When I say it's not difficult, it's basically - what I make - just preparing a liquid (could be a syrup, juice, cream, vinaigrettes, honey, maple syrup, etc.) in which you add the right amount of powder, then follow the steps. Agar-agar and gelatin are pretty much bringing the liquid to a boil, the powder that creates "airs" is basically just mixing it around one minute with a hand-mixer, pearls are basically just immerging the liquid - being careful so it has the shap of a ball - in a solution of water mixed with another powder, and there's also a powder that thickens any liquid by just mixing it thoroughly.

The wikipedia article is interesting also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_gastronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I always had issues getting the ratios just right and I felt like the caviar would firm up all the way through, so I would never get a good pop of flavor. Always had fun tinkering with that stuff though, but when I have time to really cook these days I stay more traditional in style.
Well I would not call the pearls I made "caviar" since I didn't use a syringe to put the liquid in the water mixture, but instead, just a really small spoon that would give me pearls around 0.5m in diameter. I prefer making caviar with agar-agar and then just drop the liquid with a syringe in ice-cold oil.

I will make sure to take a picture this weekend when I make this again.

Last edited by Zaide: 08-07-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote