HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McIlrath - Surgery for Dislocated Kneecap

Old
07-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Fireonk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Staal who is a special player had to go back to juniors for two years after he was drafted before he finally made the team.

Girardi who wasn't drafted by anybody--started out in the ECHL--worked his way up to the Rangers about half to two thirds of the way through his second pro season--which is kind of remarkable.

McDonagh who was hugely regarded in his draft class then went on to play 3 years at Wisconson and spent half a season in the AHL--check out his stats there--not a lot of offense. He's still developing that part of his game.

Del Zotto--went back to junior the season after he was drafted. Made it in 09-10 primarily because of his offensive game. Went back and forth to the minors in 11-12. He was kind of rushed.

Sauer--played two more years in the WHL and two in the AHL and is the most physical of the bunch and has had numerous injuries.

McIlrath is not off schedule for the player that he is. Got to look past where he was drafted and look at the kind of player he is and then project what kind of player he can be. He's not going to be an offensive defenseman like Fowler--but Fowler for all his positives is a soft player. The Rangers drafted McIlrath not only to fill a hole but to fit into a role--a kind of everyday mean, physical defenseman who will keep opponents heads up and on a swivel whenever he's on the ice. That is what Beukeboom did.

I'm not going to lie--when the Rangers called his name I was ****ing shocked. I was thinking like a lot of other people--Fowler, Tarasenko, Gormley. But--and this is a big but--I'm opinionated but I'm not one of those who think I have all the answers and even if I have some doubts still lingering about Slats I have a lot less about Gordie Clark--which isn't to say that he can't blow one--that can happen to anyone but I think Clark is the real deal and I think what he was aiming at and how the Rangers work at getting their prospects prepped to become professional hockey players is first rate. Set aside the Jessiman pick--our drafting the last several years has been pretty good.
I really love this post.

I definitely understand why people are unhappy with the pick 2 years ago due to some preferred players on the board. I also understand the weariness with regards to the injuries. However, you need look no further than our own backyard to see evidence of a common development path amongst defense first defenders.

Sure big names were still on the board, and sure he might not ever develop into a top pairing defender, but with the way the Rangers have developed their young defense I think for now you have to give them some benefit of the doubt. Sky isn't falling with regards to Dylan, at least not yet.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:02 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
People can have their opinions...it's America, right?

Just what irks me if the people who seem to be hell bent on ******** on the Rangers players. This is a pretty good hockey team as presently assembled...and they have prospects that a lot of teams seem to want. So what's the problem?

Its not a martyr thing as someone said, but I've just always though that if the guy puts on that jersey then I'm gonna root for him no matter what.
Wasn't dumping on you. Just building on your thought.

I just can't stand "I was right" and "the guys running the draft were wrong" posts that pop up whenever McIlrath sneezes. If they only knew how hard it was to make those decisions. I did it for a few years and what I found out how much I didnt know about hockey.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:57 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Too bad he injured himself hitting Jean of all players who lit it up during the camp.

Perhaps the surgery is to clean out some "floaties" or residue from the injury that showed up on the xray/mri

either way its not the worst time to get an injury. It was in camp, under ranger supervision. Dylan is going to get the best of care and will hopefully rehab and be ready to take a regular shift in the AHL in September

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:59 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
always getting injured. This guy's stock keeps dropping
One of the dumbest comments I´ve read here in a long time...

Anyway, hope his recovery will be quick and succesfull

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:49 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Big Mac Will soon be back
Wtf?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Black Tank

I really can't think of anyone better to coach/mentor McIlrath than Beukeboom. There is no way he should start in MSG - he should spend at least a season with Beuk in Hartford adjusting his game and learning what it takes to be successful with that type of game.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:03 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
always getting injured. This guy's stock keeps dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Is this dislocated kneecap injury resulting from him going out of position to make a hit in rookie camp? If so, this guy hasn't learned anything, his stock is dropping even more.

This made me lol.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:09 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If it had to happen, I'm happy it happened in July. It's not impossible to think this kid could be ready to go by September/October, minimizing the amount of time he loses.

Agree.

Get well kid.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jul 7, 2012 2:21a

Would like to thank every one for the wonderful support, looking forward to a fast and healthy recovery!

sent via Mobile Web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/dylan_mcilrath/st...89147712507904

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:02 AM
DekeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
This made me lol.
It's a good thing they only shoot horses.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:13 AM
lelorangers515
Rookie User

The dislocated kneecap is really not one of the major injuries to the knee. I tore my ACL, MCL, and Medial Meniscus playing hockey and actually Dr. Feldman reconstructed my knee. It still is in the process of getting better a year after surgery to the day.

Lucky for Dylan and us, he had no structural damage to the knee, meaning no tears to any of the four major ligaments that support the knee (LCL, MCL, PCL, and the infamous ACL). He had no tear of the Patella tendon which is another serious injury. No damage to the cartilage, Medial Meniscus and the worst Lateral Meniscus. So Dylan will have a shorter recovery than most because of the fact that he had no structural issues. Its going to be a few months because of muscle atrophy etc. He should be ok and be back on the ice in a few months.

My knee is feeling better, still not 100%. Still have numbness and pains. My leg was strong to begin with and my quad feels great. Doing some water training now and just focus on my core, my leg, and cardio. Never touching weights again. Everything is about being explosive. Played my first round of golf in over 2 years yesterday and hit the ball great. I hope to play hockey again down the road but if that day doesn't happen i can live with it as I have my son who I will put on the ice once he turns 2.

New to the board used to post on the Rangers board and Blueshirts United. Hope to contribute here and get some of you guys to read my blog about sports in general. (guidossportsgripes) Google it!

lelorangers515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:30 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Let's not forget that these players also have the best doctors and trainers helping them with rehab. It takes them much less time than the average person to get back to 100%.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelorangers515 View Post
The dislocated kneecap is really not one of the major injuries to the knee. I tore my ACL, MCL, and Medial Meniscus playing hockey and actually Dr. Feldman reconstructed my knee. It still is in the process of getting better a year after surgery to the day.

Lucky for Dylan and us, he had no structural damage to the knee, meaning no tears to any of the four major ligaments that support the knee (LCL, MCL, PCL, and the infamous ACL). He had no tear of the Patella tendon which is another serious injury. No damage to the cartilage, Medial Meniscus and the worst Lateral Meniscus. So Dylan will have a shorter recovery than most because of the fact that he had no structural issues. Its going to be a few months because of muscle atrophy etc. He should be ok and be back on the ice in a few months.

My knee is feeling better, still not 100%. Still have numbness and pains. My leg was strong to begin with and my quad feels great. Doing some water training now and just focus on my core, my leg, and cardio. Never touching weights again. Everything is about being explosive. Played my first round of golf in over 2 years yesterday and hit the ball great. I hope to play hockey again down the road but if that day doesn't happen i can live with it as I have my son who I will put on the ice once he turns 2.

New to the board used to post on the Rangers board and Blueshirts United. Hope to contribute here and get some of you guys to read my blog about sports in general. (guidossportsgripes) Google it!
Very informative post.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Let's not forget that these players also have the best doctors and trainers helping them with rehab. It takes them much less time than the average person to get back to 100%.
not to mention their bodies are conditioned differently for this sort of thing. he'll be fine.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Wasn't dumping on you. Just building on your thought.

I just can't stand "I was right" and "the guys running the draft were wrong" posts that pop up whenever McIlrath sneezes. If they only knew how hard it was to make those decisions. I did it for a few years and what I found out how much I didnt know about hockey.
Sneezes? He dislocated a kneecap. Hardly a sneeze.

Hard decisions? Like when Gordie Clark took Kudroc, Mezei and Rupp all similar projects that he never learned from. The biggest problem with management I've ever had and always will point out when they are guilty is making the same mistakes that got them in trouble in the past.

Also Bob, you spent time in management and I hold you in high regard around here, but your most obvious fault is constantly defending management cause you've 'been there'. I respect that fact immensely, but you let personal feelings get in the way of usually very unbiased opinions.

At least you are not as bad as the others : "He'll be fine, its only July, he wasnt making the team anyway, we knew he'd take a longtime anyway, he has the best team of physicians working for him, he'll be ready for a midseason callup" crowd who would never say these things if it were Christian Thomas ! But McI being the absolute certain Beukeboom in waiting gets a pass. Nothing near negative just 'oh well, he'll be fine, he's the undertaker'.

Not even one camp in entering his first full Pro season and he goes down with an unusual injury, one that was attained after a pro-active action on McI's part. He wasn't just standing there stationary. He went out and played his game against amateurs and he was hurt.

What happens now? Total health throughout his pro career? I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks he'll avoid injury, injuries happen to almost everyone, Dmen especially. But I look at the size, the decision making and I think Brendan Witt. A guy way more comparable in terms of recent Dmen. He was tough as hell and was a solid scrapper. Played one full season in his 14 year career, only played 5 seasons where he missed 15 games or less.

Maybe this injury is just a fluke and he stays healthy. Certainly possible. I've seen this type of player before, on my own teams in my amateur days. Great devastating hitters but can't healthy cause the way they play is reckless in regards to even their own safety.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:28 PM
lelorangers515
Rookie User

Yes and the other members that posted it truly comes down to the PT and how much effort one puts into it. Dylan is a young athlete and has youth and strength on his side. The PT will be the tell tale sign of things and if he progresses quickly he should be ok. The rehab is always the hardest part of surgery! So good luck to Dylan and I hope he gets better. He is honestly the best hands in NYC with Dr. Feldman. He should be feeling fine soon enough and should begin PT in a few weeks.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
lelorangers515
Rookie User

Bluenote, don't buy too much into this injury. ANYONE and I mean ANYONE can hurt their knee. This doesn't mean he is injury prone or will suffer the same fate as other guys that were his size that had injuries. This is a freak thing like blowing out your knee it can happen at anytime and place without warning. Chronic hamstring issues, shoulder, back, and concussion issues scare me more than a guy who accidentally had his kneecap dislocated. He will be fine. If Dylan had this crazy past of constant injuries to his hammy, quad, etc I would question his conditioning and overall physical shape. Give him time he will be back and hopefully develop into that scary Dman we haven't had since Jeff.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:35 PM
bubba5

This jean guy better have been worth it!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelorangers515 View Post
Bluenote, don't buy too much into this injury. ANYONE and I mean ANYONE can hurt their knee. This doesn't mean he is injury prone or will suffer the same fate as other guys that were his size that had injuries. This is a freak thing like blowing out your knee it can happen at anytime and place without warning. Chronic hamstring issues, shoulder, back, and concussion issues scare me more than a guy who accidentally had his kneecap dislocated. He will be fine. If Dylan had this crazy past of constant injuries to his hammy, quad, etc I would question his conditioning and overall physical shape. Give him time he will be back and hopefully develop into that scary Dman we haven't had since Jeff.
I know he'll be back and that it's not a horrific injury. It's just not the kind of news I want to here coming out of a meaningless development camp. And when I say 'meaningless' I mean its meaningless for McI. That camp is for the new guys who never been through this before.

In this day and age you need to be in tipt top shape 365 days a year. This is not Biilly Smith showing up at Isles camp every year with a huge beer gut. The fact this injury is 'relatively minor' does nothing to the fact that his conditioning takes a hit going into his first Pro season. Not ideal for a project, or any player really.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:37 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
the fact they they are world class athletes helps too haha!

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:38 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Sneezes? He dislocated a kneecap. Hardly a sneeze.

Hard decisions? Like when Gordie Clark took Kudroc, Mezei and Rupp all similar projects that he never learned from. The biggest problem with management I've ever had and always will point out when they are guilty is making the same mistakes that got them in trouble in the past.

Also Bob, you spent time in management and I hold you in high regard around here, but your most obvious fault is constantly defending management cause you've 'been there'. I respect that fact immensely, but you let personal feelings get in the way of usually very unbiased opinions.

At least you are not as bad as the others : "He'll be fine, its only July, he wasnt making the team anyway, we knew he'd take a longtime anyway, he has the best team of physicians working for him, he'll be ready for a midseason callup" crowd who would never say these things if it were Christian Thomas ! But McI being the absolute certain Beukeboom in waiting gets a pass. Nothing near negative just 'oh well, he'll be fine, he's the undertaker'.

Not even one camp in entering his first full Pro season and he goes down with an unusual injury, one that was attained after a pro-active action on McI's part. He wasn't just standing there stationary. He went out and played his game against amateurs and he was hurt.

What happens now? Total health throughout his pro career? I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks he'll avoid injury, injuries happen to almost everyone, Dmen especially. But I look at the size, the decision making and I think Brendan Witt. A guy way more comparable in terms of recent Dmen. He was tough as hell and was a solid scrapper. Played one full season in his 14 year career, only played 5 seasons where he missed 15 games or less.

Maybe this injury is just a fluke and he stays healthy. Certainly possible. I've seen this type of player before, on my own teams in my amateur days. Great devastating hitters but can't healthy cause the way they play is reckless in regards to even their own safety.
I think you missed my point. My beef is with the posts that constantly berate management for passing on Tarasenko (sp?) for McIlrath. People with that point of view are welcome to pound their chest as long as they know I could care less. It's easy making draft picks sitting in your living room.

Health is not guaranteed with any draft pick. Getting hurt against amateurs, professionals or pick up league guys is all part of the game. He was hurt in a collision with Jean, who appears ticketed for the AHL too. The same calibre of guy he will be playing against this year.

Physical hockey takes a toll. That's part of the game and no reason to shy away from physical players. Some do last longer than others and some do see their careers end prematurely. If you asked me, the two guys I would have figured to be the most indestructible coming out of junior in the last 20 years were the Lindros brothers. Look what happened to them. Of course, you can just bypass the physical element altogether and end of with a team of pansies. Want to go that route?

And as for projects, wasn't Kreider a project? That one seems to be working out OK.

Yes, I do defend management a lot. It's because I know how hard it is and their track record has been pretty good over the past 5-6 years. There was a point where I thought it wasn't going to happen for Sather and I was ready to throw him under the bus. Glad I didn't.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:47 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I agree. I thought he was solid. He wasn't strong enough, but he was good with the puck, and calmer than most defensemen his age.
Def...i really thought he was going to stick after his last stint with the big club; looked solid and had a few offensive chances, especially in our last game in Toronto...

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:09 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I wonder if this is a smokescreen. McIlrath could be wanted by Howson in a trade, and the Rangers took him out of play.

I'm reaching here.
These are the kinds of posts that get people believing ridiculous, untrue things... don't spread crap like this.

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Looks like Dylan went back home after having the surgery last Friday. There is no direct flight from NY to Winnipeg. Flying is not easy with 2 good knees. From: @dylan_mcilrath
Sent: Jul 11, 2012 10:19p

Watching the #ESPYS with @dunsy20 and @papskos17 love the beauty host ripping into the athletes

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/dylan_mcilrath/st...40216222244864

Old
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
First day at the physio was a success ‪#roadtorecovery‬
https://twitter.com/dylan_mcilrath/s...84563962347521