HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Free Agency IV (The Mattieuw Purrettu Super Sized Edition)

Old
07-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but according to Holland Detroit is out, at least for the moment:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....amp_notes.html

Apologies if that's not a legit site, but given the direct quote I thought it was worth mentioning.

Relevant quote:

"Alexander Semin might be the most skilled unrestricted free agent still on the market but it doesn't sound like the Red Wings have any interest in him.

'I talked to his agent once but right now we're doing nothing,' said general manager Ken Holland in regards to Semin."

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I missed your point because I didn't realize you actually were trying to make such a stupid point.

So Parise who'd require a lifetime contract that pays out more in the next 5 years than Semin is likely to make in his lifetime, made sense for all three of those teams, to the point where the one stacked on offense and the one short on cash were in the final 3, but Semin on a much cheaper and safer deal with the potential for close to the same payoff doesn't?
Lou said that NJ was a finalist based on history. We have no idea what terms they offered.

And I don't think Semin would sign a deal much cheaper that $7.5. And given his pronounced career lows as well as his injury history, I certainly wouldn't call him a safer signing.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Lou said that NJ was a finalist based on history. We have no idea what terms they offered.

And I don't think Semin would sign a deal much cheaper that $7.5. And given his pronounced career lows as well as his injury history, I certainly wouldn't call him a safer signing.
For them to be a "finalist" the terms would have to be pretty close to what Minnesota ended up giving him.

Parise is making 44 million over the next 4 years, much of it in lump sums. I have no doubt Semin would take a 4 year 27 million deal if offered, probably even less, but they're offering him 1-3 years with under 6. Pittsburgh's rumored offer was 4.5 per.

Parise just missed a year with a torn ACL. He's smaller than Mike Richards and makes his living playing in the dirty areas areas. If he loses his speed and agility he has no size, shot or playmaking ability to fall back on. Semin had his first bad statistical season (PPG wise) playing Hunter Hockey but on a 4 year deal he's a much safer bet. I'm willing to bet Semin outproduces Parise next year if he stays in the NHL (of course, Parise will have the mountain of intangibles making him better no matter what Semin does).

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
It's not a bad idea, but it has an expiration date. The KHL starts earlier, and CSKA will need an answer soon else it will spend that money elsewhere.
He still has a couple weeks nonetheless and I doubt CSKA has a real Plan B option. They can afford to be patient in the off chance that they can land another high profile NHLer. If it's August and Semin is still waiting for NHL teams to blink he's doing it wrong. But even then I think CSKA would be more than happy to have him even if they're a week or two into the pre-season and he isn't in top shape. The allure of drawing away another NHL player will keep that door open IMO should he want to use it.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If Semin is following the standard model for Russian players, he has a NHL agent (Mark Gandler) and a KHL agent. Gandler stands to make money if Semin signs in the NHL, and zero if he signs in the KHL. The situation is reversed for his KHL agent. So in that sense, a player considering offers from both leagues usually has two sparrows warbling in his ears.

That is an awkward situation to be in, I'm sure. A player isn't well served in this regard, because there are self-interested reasons for the two agents to slag on the other league. Who is giving the player impartial advice in that situation? Just family and friends, and while they have the player's best interest at heart, they may not have a window into the real benefits and downsides of the options.

I haven't heard of a super agent whose knowledge of both the NHL and the KHL is robust enough to operate effectively in both environments, for Russian-born players. Thus they hire two. North Americans, I believe, simply use their North American agents. That simplifies matters, but it also means they often head to Russia and are unprepared beforehand. All the NA agent can really do for him is negotiate a contract.
But has anyone seen anything that indicates whether Semin does have a KHL agent as well as Gandler?

Gandler represents enough Russian players that I would think it is very possible that his group works in both leagues. If that is the case then what is better for the agent a 3 year $30 mil offer from CSKA or a whole lot less from an NHL team? And yes that was a rhetorical question...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:59 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Yeah. If there's any NA agent I can see working the KHL as well, it's Gandler, but I've never seen anything confirmed one way or the other.

Anyone know who he represents/represented that plays in the KHL currently? I wonder if it would have come out in any blurbs about those signings.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
But has anyone seen anything that indicates whether Semin does have a KHL agent as well as Gandler?

Gandler represents enough Russian players that I would think it is very possible that his group works in both leagues. If that is the case then what is better for the agent a 3 year $30 mil offer from CSKA or a whole lot less from an NHL team? And yes that was a rhetorical question...
Gandler has a line into Russia and knows the country/culture, and he knows the ins and outs of the NHL negotiating environment. I've never heard indication that he represents players in the KHL or that he has vast experience with the intricacies of the KHL.

Now it may be that there is a lot less regulation and thus a lesser requirement for arcane knowledge to negotiate a player's contract in the KHL. Sometimes, the rules seem to be made up as they go to serve wider needs. If they want a star, or an icon, they find a way as a league to make that work.

Short version: I don't think there is enough data to know if Gandler has served in this capacity. I have not heard that he has, but that is not a definitive answer.

I do know that in the past, Chesnokov and Malamud have Tweeted regarding players' discrete NA and Russian agents. Sending one of them a query would be the best way to find an answer on Semin.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:09 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just for the record....I had no problem what so ever with Marc Crawford and Pierre McGuire said that day.

I used to give Dave Fay a bunch of **** for saying the same things YEARS ago. Boy oh boy was he right about things. I just never thought he should have been saying them as a beat reporter of the team.

Television personalities with no times to actual journalism? That can say what the think. And they did.
I will agree that its nice to hear a journalist call it like they see it. They do have to walk a fine line, towing the party line, and saying something they think needs to be said regardless of how it comes across.

But mainly my point was just the timing of it, possibly making a GM less likely to pursue Semin, regardless of him already knowing what they said to be true or not true. They need to keep their jobs too.

Would that same team bash Detroit's GM for inking him? Or would they more tow the company line, and talk about what a value they got at 4M per.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏| @dchesnokov | "As some asked re: the 3 year $30m reported offer to Semin from the KHL - false on both the term and the money."

1:08 PM - 9 Jul 12 via web

Good scoop. Even better would be ferreting out the actual details. I know that Gandler has been chary with information this week.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:23 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

No one wants Semin

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
aquablue

Quote:

No one wants Semin
Are you an 8th grader? Or do you have some kind of neurotic compulsion that forces you to repeat the same line every few hours? Perhaps you have a nonsensical hatred of Semin that pushes you to ridicule him at every turn.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:48 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Are you an 8th grader? Or do you have some kind of neurotic compulsion that forces you to repeat the same line every few hours? Perhaps you have a nonsensical hatred of Semin that pushes you to ridicule him at every turn.
U mad bro?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

8th graders with kids?

Strung & woman to be on Teen Mom 3?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:56 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
8th graders with kids?

Strung & woman to be on Teen Mom 3?

Old
07-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps do not want Semin at his desired wage and term, but there is a point at which even the Caps would start to consider Semin if his desired wage and term is a non starter for everybody. For one year at $6.7M to $7M, I think the Caps would sign him.

So would many others, mind you. He'd be able to pick his spot if he wanted to showcase himself and try again for a sweetheart deal next summer. I'm convinced GMs simply don't want the long commitment right now.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
No one wants Semin
Strong sitcom title/idea right there.

Last edited by Langway: 07-09-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
G3 LesPaul

I don't want semin.

That makes me a child I guess.

Or straight. If you know what I mean

He wants KHL money in the NHL. He's not getting it

At this point he is gonna get 3 mill from someone at 1 year

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Strong sitcom title/idea right there.
It'll be just like Perfect Strangers. Semin as Balki and GMGM as that guy whose name no one remembers.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Cousin Larry, dude.

Those guys banged stewardesses.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I don't want semin.

That makes me a child I guess.

Or straight. If you know what I mean

He wants KHL money in the NHL. He's not getting it

At this point he is gonna get 3 mill from someone at 1 year
NO! That guy as repeating that line over and over again. It does get kinda boring and stupid after a while because it is trying to make a silly blanket statement. Some of us actually like Semin and want him back! I don't like this blanket characterization that all Caps fans want Semin gone.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I loved Perfect Strangers.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:27 PM
MW6

I think GMGM should offer Semin 3 yrs worth $21M.

Because if Kuznetsov comes over when his 2 years are up with Traktor, Semin then still has a year left on his contract and can be traded and bring something back in return. I think many teams, like it has been discussed in earlier posts, would take him on for 1 yr. So Semin get his $$ and some term, not the 5 years he wanted, but it's some security atleast.

And the 2nd line really needs a player of his caliber this year and most likely next year also.

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:30 PM
MW6

Quote:
NO! That guy as repeating that line over and over again. It does get kinda boring and stupid after a while because it is trying to make a silly blanket statement. Some of us actually like Semin and want him back! I don't like this blanket characterization that all Caps fans want Semin gone.

It had to be done, sorry mate!

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

I like Semin..

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote