HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Free Agency IV (The Mattieuw Purrettu Super Sized Edition)

Old
07-09-2012, 01:34 PM
aquablue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
I think GMGM should offer Semin 3 yrs worth $21M.

Because if Kuznetsov comes over when his 2 years are up with Traktor, Semin then still has a year left on his contract and can be traded and bring something back in return. I think many teams, like it has been discussed in earlier posts, would take him on for 1 yr. So Semin get his $$ and some term, not the 5 years he wanted, but it's some security atleast.

And the 2nd line really needs a player of his caliber this year and most likely next year also.
I'd give him two years at 6.7.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I would rather watch Perfect Strangers reruns than Semin on the caps.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
um

why resign semin when galiev can replace him

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:54 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I like Semin..
I was saying boo-urns.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
why resign semin when galiev can replace him
He can't. And I'm pretty sure he's scored 0 career NHL playoff goals, since that's the argument against Semin right now...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
He can't. And I'm pretty sure he's scored 0 career NHL playoff goals, since that's the argument against Semin right now...
Yea, but he's also disappeared less in career NHL playoff games.

Amidoinitrite?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Galiev looks bigger in development camp, according to NBTW - I think there's a chance he could see a sweater this season, though I would hesitate to throw him on a scoring line, and definitely wouldn't count on him to be anybody's replacement.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Galiev looks bigger in development camp, according to NBTW - I think there's a chance he could see a sweater this season, though I would hesitate to throw him on a scoring line, and definitely wouldn't count on him to be anybody's replacement.
This is GMGM and the Caps you're talking about if anyone can put him on a scoring line and count on him to replace someone its this group.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:39 PM
txpd

any noticed what happened with scott hannan? i missed it

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
any noticed what happened with scott hannan? i missed it
Still available I believe.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
txpd

*Hannan. It appears the reason he got the late, low dollar, one year contract in calgary last off season was not because he misplayed ufa game. its all he could get. calgary chose not to extend him and he is still on the market. another low dollar one year is coming for him.

* McPhee already has me looking at the pending 2013 free agent market to see who he might target for an in season, not necessarily at the deadline, trade. there's iginla and lupol for starters on teams that may be challenged for making to the playoffs.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:49 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
NO! That guy as repeating that line over and over again. It does get kinda boring and stupid after a while because it is trying to make a silly blanket statement. Some of us actually like Semin and want him back! I don't like this blanket characterization that all Caps fans want Semin gone.
Wideman was pretty much the ligthning rod for fan's angst for a good part of this season, but Semin was always there in the shadows.

Years past it was the likes of Steckel and Flash.

Wonder who will be the "whipping boy" for the upcoming season with Wideman and possibly Semin gone. Schultz will always be on the short list, but there has to be someone else.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:52 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
*Hannan. It appears the reason he got the late, low dollar, one year contract in calgary last off season was not because he misplayed ufa game. its all he could get. calgary chose not to extend him and he is still on the market. another low dollar one year is coming for him.

* McPhee already has me looking at the pending 2013 free agent market to see who he might target for an in season, not necessarily at the deadline, trade. there's iginla and lupol for starters on teams that may be challenged for making to the playoffs.
Teams always seem to pay more for a player at the TDL than at other times of the year. Ribiero would have cost the Caps a lot more had they pried him away from the Stars in February. That being said, I'd target Perry if he makes it to the UFAs market next year.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Semin thread on the FA main boards has moved to the second page. Interest starting to fade, its no longer a rescue mission, its now a recovery operation.

Those in attendance at Kettler for the development camp any sightings of Semin paraphernailia being moved to the sales rack at the shop there. That would be the true indicator.

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 07-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 04:04 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Semin thread on the FA main boards has moved to the second page. Interest starting to fade, its no longer a rescue mission, its now a recovery operation.

Those in attendance at Kettler for the development camp and sightings of Semin paraphernailia being moved to the sales rack at the shop there. That would be the true indicator.
Wut?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Wideman was pretty much the ligthning rod for fan's angst for a good part of this season, but Semin was always there in the shadows.

Years past it was the likes of Steckel and Flash.

Wonder who will be the "whipping boy" for the upcoming season with Wideman and possibly Semin gone. Schultz will always be on the short list, but there has to be someone else.
it'll be #21. With #8 waiting in the wings if things continue poorly next year

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
it'll be #21. With #8 waiting in the wings if things continue poorly next year
Always the purveyor of joy and happy thoughts aren't you?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Ridley Simon

I do not want to see #28 leave, if we arent going to bring someone in.

As I have stated many times, we need to fill most/all of that 6.7m slot. If its via trade, its via trade. But we need to fill it.

I look at that as a large talent slot. If we are saving the money, we are also out talent on the opening night roster.

If we can get #28 back for a one/tow year deal at lower prices, then we should do it. If we cant, then we need someone else, and this late in the game for FA's make me leery of what George will do.

Safest thing is Semin at 5.5m for one year. For both sides. Let Semin have a great year and get his payday, or we can trade him during the season. Let it play out with Oates as coach, and a contract motivated player.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I've seen that sentiment expressed elsewhere too, RH, and I've never understood it. Why do sports fans pretend that agents are ever doing anything that is separate from what their clients want them to do?

Agents who do not follow their clients' directives soon find themselves formerly the agents of said players. Their clients then proceed to get themselves new agents.

Agents play bad cop, allowing their clients to come off smelling like roses. They are there interacting in the public eye to serve as lightning rods. They protect their clients' interests, but also their public images.

They do not at any point fail to act as their clients instruct them to act.
Exactly...let's not scapegoat Gandler to paint the player as some victim. The client calls the shots. End of story.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:25 PM
txpd

Quote:
Teams always seem to pay more for a player at the TDL than at other times of the year. Ribiero would have cost the Caps a lot more had they pried him away from the Stars in February. That being said, I'd target Perry if he makes it to the UFAs market next year.
mcphee made his hannan deal in november or december as i recall. from hearing him talk over the years, he would already be setting the ground work for a trade for a veteran on an expiring contract.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I do not want to see #28 leave, if we arent going to bring someone in.

As I have stated many times, we need to fill most/all of that 6.7m slot. If its via trade, its via trade. But we need to fill it.

I look at that as a large talent slot. If we are saving the money, we are also out talent on the opening night roster.

If we can get #28 back for a one/tow year deal at lower prices, then we should do it. If we cant, then we need someone else, and this late in the game for FA's make me leery of what George will do.

Safest thing is Semin at 5.5m for one year. For both sides. Let Semin have a great year and get his payday, or we can trade him during the season. Let it play out with Oates as coach, and a contract motivated player.
They did replace a portion of his 6.7 in trading for Ribs and his 5

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

There seem to be two groups within the "keep Semin" crowd.

1) The "I like the player so lets ignore his warts and keep him" group

and..

2) The "I want him back becuase I'm afraid of the unknown without him" group

The safest thing is NOT to resign Semin for 1 year $5.5, nor is it likely even an option from the player's POV. Not with a large KHL deal on the table.

What if you found out that McPhee and Company finally felt that Semin was having a negative impact on the room, worse on your superstar franchise player? Is resigning him still a safe move? The Caps have essentially abjured Semin publicly. Even if he comes crawling back to accept a short term/less $ deal, do the Caps even want him? I have serious doubts today.

I've wanted to move on from Semin for a while, but I wouldn't kick him in the teeth if he came crawling back, asking for another chance, promising to be a better teammate and professional.

That said, I still have hope that McPhee makes a deal to bring in another top-6 player. I hope that's before the season starts, but wouldn't be surprised to see it happen later.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
They did replace a portion of his 6.7 in trading for Ribs and his 5
not really. 5m/Ribs was the Knuble, Halpern, Wideman, Vokoun monies. Semin's 7m slot was left for Semin or his replacement.

We dont have that yet, maybe not at all

Old
07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Have there been any reports that Semin's doing more community service than usual this off-season? Unless that can be confirmed, keep him away from this team please.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
There seem to be two groups within the "keep Semin" crowd.

1) The "I like the player so lets ignore his warts and keep him" group

and..

2) The "I want him back becuase I'm afraid of the unknown without him" group

The safest thing is NOT to resign Semin for 1 year $5.5, nor is it likely even an option from the player's POV. Not with a large KHL deal on the table.

What if you found out that McPhee and Company finally felt that Semin was having a negative impact on the room, worse on your superstar franchise player? Is resigning him still a safe move? The Caps have essentially abjured Semin publicly. Even if he comes crawling back to accept a short term/less $ deal, do the Caps even want him? I have serious doubts today.

I've wanted to move on from Semin for a while, but I wouldn't kick him in the teeth if he came crawling back, asking for another chance, promising to be a better teammate and professional.

That said, I still have hope that McPhee makes a deal to bring in another top-6 player. I hope that's before the season starts, but wouldn't be surprised to see it happen later.
All of this is conjecture. All of it.

It may be facts, it may not. What is fact is that the Caps not closer to the Cup today then when the horn sounded at MSG.

Prices go up during the season for acquiring talent. George wanted to remake things, he has missed a big part of the boat.

You think George has some gutsy moves in him? I sure dont.