HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency IV (The Mattieuw Purrettu Super Sized Edition)

Old
07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Yeah it comes from a Gormley article, so take it for what it's worth. However, if that was indeed the case GMGM would have to give some consideration to resigning him in lieu of the Ribiero acquisition. As Gormley points out in the article, Caps currently with 16 mil cap space, thus they'd have room salary wise. I'd still maintain the Caps should then entertain signing both Jason Arnott and Scott Hannan. You are looking at less than 2 miil respectively for each.

Ovechkin - Ribiero - Brouwer
Wolski/MAJO - Backstrom - Semin
Laich - Arnott - Chimera
Hendricks - Beagle - Ward/Crabb

Purretu

Hannan-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Orlov

Ersikine
Hillen
Schultz

Holtby
Neuvirth

Possibly making the likes of Schultz, Erskine and Ward expendable. Schilling can always be called up from Hershey if need be in a pinch.

Looks good to me. I'd have to make sure Hannan can still play. Arnott and Semin were good together. Add Ribs and that's a good line (Arnie on a wing).

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:37 PM
txpd

Quote:
You have some alternatives that are currently available? Grant it he's not the ideal option, but he's a known quantity who plays a positionally sound game and who's available at a reasonable price.
i would question whether scott hannan is an nhl defenseman anymore much less ready to partner with mike green and play 20 minutes. john erskine might be better right now.

if hannan were capable of playing top 4 minutes on a decent nhl team, i think he would be signed by now.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i would question whether scott hannan is an nhl defenseman anymore much less ready to partner with mike green and play 20 minutes. john erskine might be better right now.

if hannan were capable of playing top 4 minutes on a decent nhl team, i think he would be signed by now.
Hannan's not the player he was a few years ago, but no way is Erskine or for that matter Jeff Schultz better d-men. Hannan doesn't have the size of those players but defensively he's better, plays a positionally sound game with his claw to the jaw move. I'm sure Toronto would entertain offers for Komisarek if you are so inclined.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:44 PM
um

Quote:

he still played 20 minutes a night in calgary, i think hannan and hamrlik could battle it out to be mike greens partner. and if that comes under 2 million then its not a bad idea

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
he still played 20 minutes a night in calgary, i think hannan and hamrlik could battle it out to be mike greens partner. and if that comes under 2 million then its not a bad idea
Sorry, but basing anything off of Fester and what he deems good is just not going to end well. I think Arrnott and Hannan are at the end of their careers. They could be a good in a Rechi type role, but I don't think Caps have room for that atm.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:59 PM
txpd

Quote:
Hannan's not the player he was a few years ago, but no way is Erskine or for that matter Jeff Schultz better d-men. Hannan doesn't have the size of those players but defensively he's better, plays a positionally sound game with his claw to the jaw move. I'm sure Toronto would entertain offers for Komisarek if you are so inclined.
lets see if he gets a job. calgary missed the playoffs last season and i'd bet a contributing factor was playing scott hannan 20 minutes a game. calgary didnt keep him, did they? they chose not to give him a contract and as yet he has no team.

since this same thing happened last off season, the caps let him walk and he ended up getting dumped into the leftover bin, i'd say he is not sought after anymore.

hamrlik was sought after.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:01 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Sorry, but basing anything off of Fester and what he deems good is just not going to end well. I think Arrnott and Hannan are at the end of their careers. They could be a good in a Rechi type role, but I don't think Caps have room for that atm.
Arnott's salary was 2.5 million last year or knuble-like. I'd offer hims a salary at about 1.8 comparable to Chimera's. Hannan's salary was 1 mil last year. I'd offer that same salary. I envision Arnott and Perreault splitting duties/time as the number 3 center. Both Arnott and Hannan woud be assets in the locker room.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:03 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
lets see if he gets a job. calgary missed the playoffs last season and i'd bet a contributing factor was playing scott hannan 20 minutes a game. calgary didnt keep him, did they? they chose not to give him a contract and as yet he has no team.

since this same thing happened last off season, the caps let him walk and he ended up getting dumped into the leftover bin, i'd say he is not sought after anymore.

hamrlik was sought after.
Then what are the other options or alternatives out there?

Old
07-15-2012, 03:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
hannan signed a 1 year deal at $1m just before camp. after that his team decided they didnt want him back. do you really believe that hannan signing a 1 year $700k contract is going to have a shot at winning top 4 minutes on a top half of the league team?

i say no chance

Old
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Kcoyote3

vCash: 148
Quote:
hannan signed a 1 year deal at $1m just before camp. after that his team decided they didnt want him back. do you really believe that hannan signing a 1 year $700k contract is going to have a shot at winning top 4 minutes on a top half of the league team?

i say no chance
You should watch some footage of him last year. He really looked pretty good and he'll most likely get picked up by a team on another 1 year deal. He still can eat up minutes.

Kcoyote3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Then what are the other options or alternatives out there?

He's signed until 2014 at $2.75mil, that must prove he is better, amirite?

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

If semin would accept a 2 year 10m deal dont you think it would be done already?

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post

He's signed until 2014 at $2.75mil, that must prove he is better, amirite?
And still trying to shake that mono bug. The guy can't catch a break.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
So Semin is apparently looking for 2 years/10 million. Very surprising he's not getting an offer on that.......I'd take him back on the Caps for that price, no doubt about it.
I don't think he's to excited about the prospect of going back to the Capitals. I recently found this article from back in May.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79...ed-free-agency

Quote:
"I think the issue is with the organization, not necessarily with the coach," Gandler said. "They told us Alex is not going to play short-handed, he's not going to play in the last minute. He's going to get the same ice time as everybody else ... Alex is not ready to be a role player. He wants to be a full-time player. It's important to him."
Unless Oates tells him otherwise I think he'll avoid resigning with the Caps.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoyote3 View Post
You should watch some footage of him last year. He really looked pretty good and he'll most likely get picked up by a team on another 1 year deal. He still can eat up minutes.
i did watch him play. often. explain it to me. why is he still available if he was so good?
why would he only be able to get a low dollar one year deal if he was so good? veteran top 4 d that can eat up 20 minutes a night on a quality team dont grow on trees.

last off season we spitballed that he overplayed his UFA hand and asked for too many years and too much money. yet, here we are again. same situation. his team decided to not offer him a contract and the ufa market has passed on him into the leftover period. seems to me this offseason proves that last offseason was not hannan overplaying his hand as much as it was that the league saw him with the caps and decided that he was over the hill and not capable style and mobility wise of playing today's game.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Brian23

So it looks like Green won't sign his QO.

If he gets anything north of 6 I'm gonna be a sad panda...

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:57 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I don't think he's to excited about the prospect of going back to the Capitals. I recently found this article from back in May.
a. thats gandler talking and not semin. i would discount anything he said premarket opening.

b. that was hunter's coaching style. what point is there to using semin on the pk if the players were not allowed to challenge for a short handed goal? hunter clear forbid that. the caps were 28th in shg for and were two goals away from dead last in en goals for.

hunter did not use his offensive players in those situations and unless you were handed a breakaway you were forbidden from attempting to score in those situations.

i'd say thats different now. i am not saying that mcphee is interested in offering 28 a contract, but what gandler said doesnt hold a lot of water now.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
So it looks like Green won't sign his QO.

If he gets anything north of 6 I'm gonna be a sad panda...
QO is a one year contract and nothing more. I suspect there is something more being worked out. it doesnt sound to me like mcphee feels green's agent is asking for anything questionable.

if mcphee believes that green is healthy and will be able to play and with that believes green's offensive game will return, he does not want green to put up the numbers wideman did and then have the ufa market as leverage.

there's no question that this contract is loaded. no matter what he chooses to do there is a scenario where it blows up in his face.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Dont blame green for turning down 5m. I doubt he wanted to take a paycut. Ill be fine with giving him his old contract again.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Karl Alzner (one way)
Jeff Schultz (one way)
Roman Hamrlik (one way)
John Erskine (one way)
Jack Hillen (one way)
Tom Poti (one way, LTIR)
Dmitri Orlov (two way)
John Carlson (RFA)
Mike Green (RFA)

Why are people suggesting signing another short term 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman? I could definitely justify the acquisition of a long-term solution that has first pairing upside (Hjalmarsson), but another stopgap when we already are loaded with defensemen under contract and having guys like Schilling and Kundratek in Herhsey really doesn't make sense to me. Defensive depth isn't the issue.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Brian23

Quote:
QO is a one year contract and nothing more. I suspect there is something more being worked out. it doesnt sound to me like mcphee feels green's agent is asking for anything questionable.

if mcphee believes that green is healthy and will be able to play and with that believes green's offensive game will return, he does not want green to put up the numbers wideman did and then have the ufa market as leverage.

there's no question that this contract is loaded. no matter what he chooses to do there is a scenario where it blows up in his face.
I know what a QO is, but coming off the couple years Green is coming off of makes me hesitant to want to sign him long term.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Kcoyote3

vCash: 148
Quote:
i did watch him play. often. explain it to me. why is he still available if he was so good?
why would he only be able to get a low dollar one year deal if he was so good? veteran top 4 d that can eat up 20 minutes a night on a quality team dont grow on trees.

last off season we spitballed that he overplayed his UFA hand and asked for too many years and too much money. yet, here we are again. same situation. his team decided to not offer him a contract and the ufa market has passed on him into the leftover period. seems to me this offseason proves that last offseason was not hannan overplaying his hand as much as it was that the league saw him with the caps and decided that he was over the hill and not capable style and mobility wise of playing today's game.
The reason he hasn't been picked up is more than likely because of his point production. When you've got defenseman like Karlsson putting up 70 points, a 12 point stay at home defenseman isn't as attractive. In general Hannan will keep it out of the net. Teams know this. They also know there isn't any big rush to sign him so I'm assuming not many offers have been made. There isn't a "SIGN HANNAN" campaign like there is with Suter and other higher quality D's.

Kcoyote3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Karl Alzner (one way)
Jeff Schultz (one way)
Roman Hamrlik (one way)
John Erskine (one way)
Jack Hillen (one way)
Tom Poti (one way, LTIR)
Dmitri Orlov (two way)
John Carlson (RFA)
Mike Green (RFA)

Why are people suggesting signing another short term 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman? I could definitely justify the acquisition of a long-term solution that has first pairing upside (Hjalmarsson), but another stopgap when we already are loaded with defensemen under contract and having guys like Schilling and Kundratek in Herhsey really doesn't make sense to me. Defensive depth isn't the issue.
one way, near league minimum contracts for backups to play in the ahl are not unusual. hillen in particular is probably ahl bound and poti of course is not playing at all.

put poti on ltir and hillen in hershey and thats just 6 players

Old
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I know what a QO is, but coming off the couple years Green is coming off of makes me hesitant to want to sign him long term.
so, your choice is to one year and hope he doesnt have a good season and make the next contract painful? that certainly one of the options. you do that if you are convinced he's damaged goods. but if you were convinced of that, why would you keep him at all?

Old
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoyote3 View Post
The reason he hasn't been picked up is more than likely because of his point production. When you've got defenseman like Karlsson putting up 70 points, a 12 point stay at home defenseman isn't as attractive. In general Hannan will keep it out of the net. Teams know this. They also know there isn't any big rush to sign him so I'm assuming not many offers have been made. There isn't a "SIGN HANNAN" campaign like there is with Suter and other higher quality D's.
sorry....go back and look at suter. he had 19 esp's last last season. not much more than hannan's 11.

would you apply your analysis of hannan and his lack of a market to karl alzner or dan girardi?