HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency IV (The Mattieuw Purrettu Super Sized Edition)

Old
07-19-2012, 02:42 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Jokinen is a born loser, sorry.

Summary of his career: FLyers vs Rangers Shootout for a playoff spot - Flyers leading by a goal, Rangers last chance comes to Jokinen and he misses.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
If Alex Ponikoravsky is the answer to your prayers, then you are just ****ed.
lol@a team who added fringe NHL players calling Poni and Olli names.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Capitlols

Can Semin just sign somewhere already, yeesh. It's getting more tiring than hearing Dwight Howard to X team.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Jokinen seems to have turned himself around.

That said WIN will only go as far as Pavalec will take them, and that wouldn't instill me with much confidence if I were a fan.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Jokinen is a born loser, sorry.

Summary of his career: FLyers vs Rangers Shootout for a playoff spot - Flyers leading by a goal, Rangers last chance comes to Jokinen and he misses.
Rich coming from a fan of a franchise who have never won the drink.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
If Alex Ponikoravsky is the answer to your prayers, then you are just ****ed.
Not sure where I said he was the answer to anyone's prayers? I responded to a comment that claimed Winnipeg did nothing in the off-season by pointing out that the team actually got both bigger and better. Hope that helps.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Carlzner

Re-Sign Sasha.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:30 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
For **** sake! Whatever you think about Semin, you have to feel kinda bad for him in this situation. Given his awkwardness and discomfort with English and with public statements, he really needs quality representation, but Gandler is such a quack.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Devil Dancer

Katie: Update, 5:11 p.m.: According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Capitals have not made an offer to Semin.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Katie: Update, 5:11 p.m.: According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Capitals have not made an offer to Semin.

obviously, this phrase does not describe Semin's agent. pathetic.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Atlas

Quote:

McPhee was not too interested in Semin at his Kettler press conference last week. I think Semin has a home here on the 2nd line, but he is replaceable. I agree with how George is approaching this.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:05 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:

Well you know there could be some nuance there. Sure the caps might not have given Semin an 'official' offer but I would think that the caps have let it known what they would offer.

07-19-2012, 05:06 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
McPhee was not too interested in Semin at his Kettler press conference last week. I think Semin has a home here on the 2nd line, but he is replaceable. I agree with how George is approaching this.
this. if 28 comes back, it will only be on mcphee's terms and with the clear message that he has to earn whatever he gets from here on out.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
MW6

So this whole Weber mess. If I was Poile I'd trade his rights to a team offering something close to what they'd be receiving in picks, just in spite.
What if GMGM offered Green, 2 1st's and something. With Weber's rights GMGM can just match it and Weber's signed 14 yrs for the Caps! Maybe Shea wouldn't be happy about it, but he really doesn't have a choice then.

Nashville get an immediate replacement and some futures, instead of just futures that is at least 5-6-7 yrs away from making a serious impact.

Caps only add $1,8M more in capspace and get the arguably best defender in the world.

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
So this whole Weber mess. If I was Poile I'd trade his rights to a team offering something close to what they'd be receiving in picks, just in spite.
What if GMGM offered Green, 2 1st's and something. With Weber's rights GMGM can just match it and Weber's signed 14 yrs for the Caps! Maybe Shea wouldn't be happy about it, but he really doesn't have a choice then.

Nashville get an immediate replacement and some futures, instead of just futures that is at least 5-6-7 yrs away from making a serious impact.

Caps only add $1,8M more in capspace and get the arguably best defender in the world.
Yeah that's not possible.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post

From my understanding trading his rights is off the table at this point. Either Nashville lets Weber go and gets the draft compensation or matches the offer and then has to wait a year to trade him.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Personally, I think these contracts that ink guys until they're 40 are just nuts.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah. It's clear cap circumvention. Don't know why they NHL allowed the first one with the cheap trailing years.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:51 PM
n3ss

It'll be curious to see how these contracts look in 10, maybe 12 years. I'm sure by then ELC's will be carrying a 7.5 million dollar cap hit.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Sounds like both sides may be playing a game of chicken here. Semin/Gandler wants salary probably 6+ along with term, minimum three years.

GMGM you had your opportunity last go around and you opted for only the one year and your performance was not up to the salary you received 6.7. Now you'll have to prove your value with your performance. GMGM has an amount he's willing to sign Semin at, but is not going to share that amount with Semin/Gandler until they ask okay what are you willing to offer. Right now I would say GMGM "has hand", especially in light of Gandler's most recent comments, they sound a bit desperate.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah. It's clear cap circumvention. Don't know why they NHL allowed the first one with the cheap trailing years.
It's not circumvention because the cap specifically addresses the issue of how extreme you can go in terms of frontloading or backloading. And after the Kovy fiasco they set a pretty firm precedent as to what they consider a legitimate maximum for age. If those rules are too lenient that's one thing, but that's not circumvention.

Of course the Kovy fiasco proves they can sort of make it up as they go along as long as they have something new to grab on to...

Old
07-19-2012, 06:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Disagree. They're clearly adding years to the end that the players don't intend to play for the express purpose of lowering the cap hit. It's just a phenomenon they didn't foresee when drafting the last CBA.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I don't consider a loophole (or whatever you'd call something bigger than a loophole... because this is a chasm) the same as circumvention, especially since the Kovalchuk stuff established a decent precedent as to which years the NHL feels are legitimately likely to be played. They say 42 and under is ok, then 42 and under is ok. I can't call that circumvention.

Now, I'd have little problem with them addressing it in the next CBA mind you (I think restrictions on term are a silly way to do it, I'd rather they put in countermeasures to retirements and how that affects the cap hits).

Old
07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think those contracts violate the spirit of the rules, if not the letter of the rules.

To me that's circumvention, and should have been addressed with punishment of the Wings for the Franzen deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I just can't see how 107m in 11 years, then some how 3m last 3 isn't circumvention, the only way its different from Kovalchuks is they did it from 40-43, this one does it from 37-40.

I wonder if cap circumvention is punishable if its from a offer sheet?

With the fact that ELCs can slide, can the Caps sign Kuznetsov right now or is the sliding thing with leagues the NHL has transfer agreements with?

Last edited by SimplySensational: 07-19-2012 at 07:12 PM.
SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote