HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency IV (The Mattieuw Purrettu Super Sized Edition)

Old
07-07-2012, 11:15 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Semin always tried the curl and drag to go towards the slot from RW before shooting. A tough move that seemed to become predictable.

Ovi driving down LW making the slightest of moves towards the slot, just lost the puck over and over.

It still seems a no brainer to swap those 2 since both of them struggled to score for most of 2 full years. We saw Ovi get a few chances at RW, but Semin never got reps at his natural spot, LW.

Oh well. I hope his next team tries him at LW, a position he did well at here before long shift Ovi took over his spot.
i am not sure i understand this. you WANT ovechkin on the rw. you didnt want him cutting to the center. on the rw to get better shooting position he had to do the same sort of curl and drag that semin did.

so...you want semin doing what you dont want ov doing and you want ov to deal with the restrictions that you want semin to be moved away from.

??

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by laleli View Post
Chuck Gormley ‏@ChuckGormleyCSN

A source close to Bobby Ryan tells me he does not see the #Capitals in the mix for the Ducks RW. #CapitalsTalk

This practically guarantees BRyan will be a Cap this fall.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:38 AM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
yes....semin's personality. he doesnt want to change teams. he's afraid. he's barely comfortable in the caps locker room. a new locker room and a new city is not what he wants.
Do any other teams have a comparable number of Russians on their team or in the pipeline?

Alexander Ovechkin
Dmitri Orlov
Yevgeni Kuznetsov
Stanislav Galiev
Dmitri Kugryshev

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Do any other teams have a comparable number of Russians on their team or in the pipeline?

Alexander Ovechkin
Dmitri Orlov
Yevgeni Kuznetsov
Stanislav Galiev
Dmitri Kugryshev
Semin will be playing with him at CSKA if he goes to the KHL. He's no longer with our organization.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:41 AM
txpd

detroit is russian friendly. i believe they have a russian in the front office as well.

of those 5 russians you post only ov and orlov is a lock for the nhl roster in the next couple of years. didnt kug pack it in altogether last season and go home or am i mixing him up with someone else.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:42 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
i am not sure i understand this. you WANT ovechkin on the rw. you didnt want him cutting to the center. on the rw to get better shooting position he had to do the same sort of curl and drag that semin did.

so...you want semin doing what you dont want ov doing and you want ov to deal with the restrictions that you want semin to be moved away from.

??
While Ovi struggled with hockey basics, I wanted to see Semin tried at his natural LW spot. He was moved from that spot, when we drafted Ovi. Ovi takes long shifts we were told, the 2LW stuck on the bench.

Semin himself was struggling.

I wanted them to switch spots for a few games. It's that simple.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:52 AM
txpd

i dont disagree with trying it as a shake up. i assume that is what you are suggesting.

i think that it didnt work for ovechkin. it basically forced him to poorer shooting angles.

semin, on the other hand, always plays the left side on the power play. its not like that option is not there for him on a regular basis. its also true that forward lines cycle as a three player unit. therefore once the puck was down low in the offensive zone semin was always playing on the left side when the puck was there.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:08 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I think it worked fine for Ovi. Starting the first game they ever tried it, Montreal game 2, Ovi can drive down the boards. Into the corner, and behind the net. Like a bull, something Semin cannot do. Ovi looked a bit raw doing it, but world class players know how to play the puck on their forehands. Mike Gartner scored 40 simply driving down RW. Ovi probably can too.

Semin always cut inside. Ovi did too. Ovi doesn't have much of a backhand; you never see him drive wide at LW, he may attempt to go tight around the dman, but that's it. Never into the corner or behind the net. Ever. No real chance for a linemate to catch up to his initial stretch rush.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:23 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

While I've been on the fence about brining Semin back or not, I don't think anyone wants to see him sign elsewhere and the Caps NOT replace his 2nd line wing spot with someone of note...........and I fear that is exactly what will happen if Semin leaves.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Totally remember the Flyer's series RH. After Semin finally did that all the floodgates opened and even Backstrom launched a crosscheck to that punk Upshall's face (I think it was he who received it and then gave the ref an incredulous look when nothing was called)

People always complain about his penalties but most were penalties of aggression where if anything he was trying to do too much. He was our most underrated defensive forward and when given the opportunity was an excellent penalty killer.

That doesn't ring lack of effort to me.

I suspect he will sign with a quality team and have an excellent season where McGuire and company will praise him about how "he turned around his game" due to coach x and team x.

Drake/Strung/NBTW/CCF will be served up heaping dishes of crow by the "SDF"

And whoever thinks Doan will sign a reasonable 2 or 3 year deal to play on the EAST coast is pretty much out of their mind. With this UFA market especially. I will be shocked if he doesn't get 4 or 5 years somewhere out in the west.
Well said.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
txpd

it didnt work well for ov or they would have left him there. dale did have ov playing almost exclusively on lw. yes?

edit: as to doan. i expect that a one year deal is possible. his 1st choice is to stay in pheonix. if the ownership situation doesnt settle down, he may leave. that doesnt mean he doesnt want to return if possible. that would mean he would take a one year so that he would be free to return.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Everyone in the NHL-wide media has been reporting via Twitter that the Devils and Wings have been the teams pressing hardest to sign Alexander Semin. Those are the two probable teams in the mix. My guess? He lands a good wage and term to play with Datsyuk.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:50 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
it didnt work well for ov or they would have left him there. dale did have ov playing almost exclusively on lw. yes?

We are talking about Semin today. Semin did fine at LW before giving way to Ovi.

If you think Ovi didnt do well at RW, you may find it hard to point out a single game in which he lined up at RW. Nashville to get him away from Weber, and crickets. Go ahead and try,

They lined him up at LW and you know it. He would circle and drive down RW, but not line up there proper. It was a half assed move to RW at most.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Ibi

Detroit would be the ideal situation for Semin. A team which plays an attacking puck-posession kind of game, with minimal anti-russian sentiment in management and fanbase.

Ibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

This fan base loves Russians.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Ibi

Wasn't implying that Caps fans are negative towards Russians, although you can always find a few. I don't know what type of game Oates is going to install here, but I think the situation in Detroit is very good for Semin. Although you might wonder what they are going to look like with the defense they currently have.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:27 PM
txpd

just wondering why a team with such a good management team would want semin if he is as bad as we say he is? unless its a short term commitment

Old
07-07-2012, 01:27 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibi View Post
Detroit would be the ideal situation for Semin. A team which plays an attacking puck-posession kind of game, with minimal anti-russian sentiment in management and fanbase.
No matter where Semin goes, the tolerance leash that's tied to him can't be any longer than it is in D.C.. Semin takes a few questionable penalties, especially in the offensive zone will test the patience of whatever team's fan base he ends up signing with.

BiPolar Caps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:29 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
just wondering why a team with such a good management team would want semin if he is as bad as we say he is? unless its a short term commitment
Yeah, Semin is a cancer, so the two organizations best known for doing things right are the two which want him most. Makes total sense.

07-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Ibi

Of course if you think someone is a 'cancer' no team would sign him. I wonder how someone would survive 8 years in a organisation while being a cancer.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:56 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Yeah, Semin is a cancer, so the two organizations best known for doing things right are the two which want him most. Makes total sense.
my view has always been, if detroit wants him the caps should keep him.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

From the last thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTW
False. Dominant positional play + tons of shots in scoring areas =/= coaching failure.
Yet Semin contributing to dominant positional play + having most shots of anybody =/= Semin failure.

Right?
Post of the thread. Of course it was completely ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Trading Ovechkin is a recipe for a bottom 5 team both in talent and in cap spending. There would be about 10k season ticket cancellations pretty quickly.
Yeah, but all those people who jumped on the Ovechkin bandwagon aren't real fans, right?

Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
a good wage and term

(Let's see how many people I can quote in one post who have me on ignore. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden
Well, it does make sense that, if those teams buy into that perception of Semin, they would be confident enough in the culture of their locker rooms and organizations to believe they could make it work with him. But obviously I agree.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

There are too few options left honestly.

Doan will not come here obviously and then what?

Kostitsyn? Would be signed already I guess if GMGM was in it for a second at least.
Mueller? Kostitsyn-level forward with injuries causing half of the season skipped?

Trade? Nothing to trade for established player. Could trade 2012 draft-picks prior to draft but didn't (probably right). Hmm, traded for Ribeiro, how could I forgot. But those there our almost last trade pieces.

Now GMGM is selling us Laich-MoJo-Brouwer-Perreault as elite forwards. Which is like OV-Backs + 4xBeagle in top-6 almost.

I'm hoping for Ribeiro to do good enough but it's a question mark honestly. New center, new coach, no sure thing. And Ribs is UFA to be.

Scoring by comittee? With offensive defenders' help (such as Wideman and Green). One is traded another is primed for injury. That is a very thin ice also.

Everything points to the fact that Semin's extension would be safe. We have enough cap space and we have at least 2 suitors who would like to trade for him later if he isn't working with Oates.

And I don't believe in 5,5M figure even if it is his real value. Market says MORE. That's not our problem. We have cash (presumably) and cap space. Sign now for some figure and trade him later if required. Good asset management, happens to fit short-term hole (glaring), not much damage.

THEN IF Ribeiro is good, Johansson is progressing, Brouwer is signing extension into his UFA years, Forsberg is NHL ready next summer... then you think about trading Semin or letting walk.

Not when virtually every other option is lost...

I would advocate for trading 2013 #1 for Kulemin, for who I've voted several times already. Yeah, I would try it instead of Semin... But it's the total loss of #1 pick in the end. But the concept is good: 2-way, 20-30G capable physical winger, all situations and so on.

Really I don't see a difference between 3 years and 5 years of Semin. He will have almost the same trade value later. And he will be still tradeable for Detroit in year 2 or in year 4 of that contract. 1 year contract is most safe for us (just because McPhee got himself in a corner) and 2 year contract would be a bridge for potential Kuz.

Sign him already for whatever. I want to forget about hockey till the autumn.

Sincerelly yours,
Active SDF member,
Mike

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:13 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This practically guarantees BRyan will be a Cap this fall.
Hard to say, this is GMGM. He'll probably ask Terry Yake to leave retirement and fill the void.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:45 PM
HTFN

I don't know enough about Stoa.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote