HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Free Agency IV (The Mattieuw Purrettu Super Sized Edition)

Old
07-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I don't know enough about Stoa.
He was probably told he's elite AHL player with good prospects of being Caps top-9 center one day. Do you need any more info?

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post

Post of the thread. Of course it was completely ignored.
Tough not to ignore a post you can't see.

And far from the post of the thread.

It's the coach's job to put player into a position to win (i.e. determining the right system, scheming the offense to put them in position to score, etc.). It's the players' job to execute from the positions they're put into by the system and scheme set forth by the coaches. Two players did that (Ovechkin and Backstrom with 5 goals each). By and large, the rest of the players did not.

Not particularly difficult to understand the differing contributions and responsibilities of players and coaches.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:58 PM
DanTHEMan71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
There are too few options left honestly.

Doan will not come here obviously and then what?

Kostitsyn? Would be signed already I guess if GMGM was in it for a second at least.
Mueller? Kostitsyn-level forward with injuries causing half of the season skipped?

Trade? Nothing to trade for established player. Could trade 2012 draft-picks prior to draft but didn't (probably right). Hmm, traded for Ribeiro, how could I forgot. But those there our almost last trade pieces.

Now GMGM is selling us Laich-MoJo-Brouwer-Perreault as elite forwards. Which is like OV-Backs + 4xBeagle in top-6 almost.

I'm hoping for Ribeiro to do good enough but it's a question mark honestly. New center, new coach, no sure thing. And Ribs is UFA to be.

Scoring by comittee? With offensive defenders' help (such as Wideman and Green). One is traded another is primed for injury. That is a very thin ice also.

Everything points to the fact that Semin's extension would be safe. We have enough cap space and we have at least 2 suitors who would like to trade for him later if he isn't working with Oates.

And I don't believe in 5,5M figure even if it is his real value. Market says MORE. That's not our problem. We have cash (presumably) and cap space. Sign now for some figure and trade him later if required. Good asset management, happens to fit short-term hole (glaring), not much damage.

THEN IF Ribeiro is good, Johansson is progressing, Brouwer is signing extension into his UFA years, Forsberg is NHL ready next summer... then you think about trading Semin or letting walk.

Not when virtually every other option is lost...

I would advocate for trading 2013 #1 for Kulemin, for who I've voted several times already. Yeah, I would try it instead of Semin... But it's the total loss of #1 pick in the end. But the concept is good: 2-way, 20-30G capable physical winger, all situations and so on.

Really I don't see a difference between 3 years and 5 years of Semin. He will have almost the same trade value later. And he will be still tradeable for Detroit in year 2 or in year 4 of that contract. 1 year contract is most safe for us (just because McPhee got himself in a corner) and 2 year contract would be a bridge for potential Kuz.

Sign him already for whatever. I want to forget about hockey till the autumn.

Sincerelly yours,
Active SDF member,
Mike
Agreed with everything said. We need Semin now and the price doesn't matter much if the term is somewhat short. I'd be inclined to explore different FA if there were any but there's literally only one that's sufficient and that's the real #28. Jaynen Rissling is not worthy of those digits lol.

However, I'm not too big on Kulemin. I'm from Toronto so I watch my fair share of Leafs games as well and I feel like if we're going to go all out and use our '13 1st for a trade we should add one more piece or two and get Grabovski.

But trading for any player of Grabo's level could cost us big time and we're lacking in the prospects category so in most cases it won't be worth it to get into trade talks for a top 6 winger right now. I'm not an advocate for trading right now anyway because we can get retain Semin right now without giving up futures.

Last edited by DanTHEMan71: 07-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.
DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTHEMan71 View Post
However, I'm not too big on Kulemin. I'm from Toronto so I watch my fair share of Leafs games as well and I feel like if we're going to go all out and use our '13 1st for a trade we should add one more piece or two and get Grabovski.
Kulemin's skill is underrated imho. He had a bad season and I don't know what he is up to next.

But trading for Grabo isn't needed. We have 2 options in house who realistically could be at least not worse. MJ and Ribeiro. We already have them and don't need to spend resources to trade for smbody of their level. We just need to wait a bit for 2C to be solved from within.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

On the Montreal series again, here are Semin's shot charts:

6 of his 43 shots on goal that series were taken from the 'home plate' area below and inside the dots. So less than 15% were taken from areas that aren't generally considered the 'perimeter'.

But hey, he took them, right? So it's not a failure at all that he had no goals and merely 2 assists?

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 07-07-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old
07-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Tough not to ignore a post you can't see.

And far from the post of the thread.

It's the coach's job to put player into a position to win (i.e. determining the right system, scheming the offense to put them in position to score, etc.). It's the players' job to execute from the positions they're put into by the system and scheme set forth by the coaches. Two players did that (Ovechkin and Backstrom with 5 goals each). By and large, the rest of the players did not.

Not particularly difficult to understand the differing contributions and responsibilities of players and coaches.
That's nonsense and you know it. Of course they have different responsibilities, but you can't just ignore Semin's role in driving the play as much as it was driven in that series.

But whatever...I really hope he ****ing signs soon so something else can be talked about on here. Halpysback is a good poster and not worth ignoring, but that's beside the point.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
That's nonsense and you know it. Of course they have different responsibilities, but you can't just ignore Semin's role in driving the play as much as it was driven in that series.

But whatever...I really hope he ****ing signs soon so something else can be talked about on here. Halpysback is a good poster and not worth ignoring, but that's beside the point.
No even remotely close to nonsense, and you know it. Semin was an utter failure that series. For all the domination of flow and 15+ interior shots per game that the team had, Semin stuck to where's he's most comfortable--the perimeter.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Alright. I can't even talk about it anymore.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:56 PM
um

Quote:
No even remotely close to nonsense, and you know it. Semin was an utter failure that series. For all the domination of flow and 15+ interior shots per game that the team had, Semin stuck to where's he's most comfortable--the perimeter.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:57 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Alright. I can't even talk about it anymore.
Did you think NBTW would agree with you?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Did you think NBTW would agree with you?
No, but he's at least reasonable. Remember when CapitalsCupFratboy criticized Semin for not doing enough community service?

Anyway...Ryan Stoa. Let's talk about that.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:01 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Anyway...Ryan Stoa. Let's talk about that.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:13 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
6 of his 43 shots on goal that series were taken from the 'home plate' area below and inside the dots. So less than 15% were taken from areas that aren't generally considered the 'perimeter'.

But hey, he took them, right? So it's not a failure at all that he had no goals and merely 2 assists?
Have you compared these with his shots from other series? And as compared to Ovi, Backstrom, Laich, etc?

I mean, just showing where his shot attempts came from doesn't say anything whatsoever. Compare it to the rest of the team or even himself from other series.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Have you compared these with his shots from other series? And as compared to Ovi, Backstrom, Laich, etc?

I mean, just showing where his shot attempts came from doesn't say anything whatsoever. Compare it to the rest of the team or even himself from other series.
It says that his shots came from the outside. 2 assists in 7 games + 85% of his shots from the outside from a 40 goal scorer says plenty.

You're welcome to provide the same charts for Ovechkin, Backstrom, Laich, etc. if you believe they tell us something different.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Everything points to the fact that Semin's extension would be safe. We have enough cap space and we have at least 2 suitors who would like to trade for him later if he isn't working with Oates.
There's no way future demand can be known with any certainty whatsoever. Let's say the relationship isn't irreparable and tepid market demand leads to the two parties revisiting the possibility. I don't think anything more than two years is prudent. Anything longer is letting short-term need complicate longer-term flexibility and, as I said, there is no certainty that this player can be easily moved in the future. It would be increasingly difficult the more term remaining IMO.

I think what Rutherford said about him is close to the consensus among the teams with any interest whatsoever. (Certainly if he and his agent are expecting $5.5M+ per.) If it wasn't I think he'd have been locked up to one of those silly Yashin contracts by now. I'd be pretty surprised if he ends up getting a 3+ year commitment from any team unless he budges on the cap hit. That doesn't really sound like Gandler and so I think budging on term is perhaps inevitable.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:36 PM
um

as long as semins contract ends before or the same time as carlson, forsberg, and kuznetsov we should be safe

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
aquablue

I'd give him 10 years at 5.5 million cap hit front loaded salary. He can be traded to a contender when he starts to decline in his mid 30s at the deadline. Probably too little for what he wants though. The player isn't going to replaced buy the 'great' talents of MoJo and Forsberg. Semin is far better than those players will ever be.

Caps in 3 years

OV - BK - Forsberg
Semin-MoJo-Brower
Chim - Laich - Ward

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

You'd give Alexander Semin 10 years?? That's just bat-**** insane.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Millhaus

Quote:

If this was Laich's shots we were talking about maybe you would have a point but the idea that Semin needs to be inside and below the dots for it to be a good scoring opportunity is frankly absurd and you know it.

Without knowing what kind of shot each one was I would count at least 25 of those as ones Semin has a pretty decent chance of scoring on.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
aquablue

Quote:
You'd give Alexander Semin 10 years?? That's just bat-**** insane.
Why? The guy is a talent, 5.5 cap hit is nothing in today's nhl for someone like him. When he is older he can be easily dumped for prospects to a contender.

Oh, you are not a hockey God, so stop acting all high and mighty, you know it all.

DENNNIS ****ING WIDEMAN GOT 5.5 million

Old
07-07-2012, 03:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why? The guy is a talent, 5.5 cap hit is nothing in today's nhl for someone like him. When he is older he can be easily dumped for prospects to a contender.
Ten years is just nuts for someone with his history of no durability and inconsistent production that provides no intangibles. I'd be shocked if there is a single GM in the league that would even consider that.

And counting on being able to dump said player (who's garnering very little interest around the league right now, in his prime) when he's older and declining is just nonsensical.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:58 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Ten years is just nuts for someone with his history of no durability and inconsistent production that provides no intangibles. I'd be shocked if there is a single GM in the league that would even consider that.

And counting on being able to dump said player (who's garnering very little interest around the league right now, in his prime) when he's older and declining is just nonsensical.
There'll always be a contender who wants an extra peice at the deadline to put them over the top.

If he is not durable, he goes on LTIR... no risk. Is Crosby durable? NO, he's one hell of a risk now.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
There'll always be a contender who wants an extra peice at the deadline to put them over the top.
Then why aren't the contenders lining up to get a 'prime' Alexander Semin?

Old
07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Then why aren't the contenders lining up to get a 'prime' Alexander Semin?
Because they don't want to take the risk NOW with a big contract. We give him a frontloaded deal to reduce cap hit and when he is older he becomes trade bait.

BETTER THE DEVIL WE KNOW THAN THE ONE WE DON"T!

Old
07-07-2012, 04:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Because they don't want to take the risk NOW with a big contract. We give him a frontloaded deal to reduce cap hit and when he is older he becomes trade bait.

BETTER THE DEVIL WE KNOW THAN THE ONE WE DON"T!
Wanting to give Semin $5.5M isn't crazy. I'd rather it not happen, but there's some amount of understanding there.

Wanting to give him a decade-long contract is certifiable.

And no one is going to take a declining player on a long-term big contract. What precedent is there for that?

And better no devil at all.