HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Do you think Toronto has lost its appeal for UFA's?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
tony135420

vCash: 500
Do you think Toronto has lost its appeal for UFA's?

Heard an interesting discussion this morning on TSN1050, sad that I listen to it on the way to work, I know, but never the less it got me thinking, has Toronto lost its appeal for big ticket UFA's?

I came to the conclusion that it's not Toronto's atmosphere or the media here that would discourage say a Parise to sign here. I think it's the refusal of management to offer the long term deal (8+ yrs). Most big UFA signings in the last 3-4 years have been those kind of deals. I'm not trying to bash the management by any means. As a matter of fact, I'm happy we don't hand out these kinds of contracts. However, I have to ask myself, are we hurting ourselves by doing this?

What do you think? Am I out to lunch (on my view here, not in general )?

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
SteveV*

Considering nobody ever signs here, I'm going out on a limb and say yes.

Start winning, then...

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

No. When the leafs were a good team we attracted quality free agents. When the any team is bad they don't attract quality free agents.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Vexxed14

When was Toronto ever a spot for top flight UFA players in their prime?

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

winning would help. yes

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

When teams win, its an attractive place for UFAs.

We aren't winning, so we are not at the moment.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Anth93

It's really simple.. Leafs are league wide joke. You don't sign here if you want to win, or just quietly do your job.

It would change in an instant if we were a perennial playoff team.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

losing team and stupid media is the blame. Lack of elite players on the current roster doesn't make it desirable for other elite UFAs to sign here.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Considering UFA's used to always be older players, not sure that is a fair question. Only recently has it changed.

Old
mooseOAK*

Kings were refused after offering huge deals to both Kovalchuk and Brad Richards.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

yeah, i've never seen us as appealing at all since before the lockout.

The Media ******** + lack of success

If guys want to live big city life, they have places like LA,Florida,Tampa where the weather is great all year round and the cities near there trump everything else around toronto. Then there's New York.

Toronto just isnt as appealing as we think, when we consider these are guys who can basically decide to live anywhere. Also you have to actually offer them a contract. I don't think Burke really throws down like other GM's on Free Agency.

When you compare New York to Toronto it's pretty obvious what the right choice is. Team wise, living wise.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
number72

The big named UFA will not sign in Toronto when other teams will match the salary and provide an NHL competitive team that can challenge for the cup. To challenge an aggressive GM needs to offer long term contracts or special terms like no trade clauses or no waive clauses (NMC in Komisarek's case). Sometimes there are other factors that make a city attractive - like their family is based in area or plays for the team. For example, not a big name, but this is why Lantandresse signed in Ottawa. The other factor is opportunity - Edmonton won the Schultz deal because Schultz had a good chance at being a top defender in a few years and contributing today. On the leafs he would be stuck behind guys like Komisarek. Part of this is Burke's philosophy of having players spend time in the AHL (like Kadri, Frattin etc) behind entitled players like lombardi and armstrong.

The only thing that I'm upset with Burke is not pursuing Parise. He basically dismissed him as small and an unimportant player. Burke is already admitting defeat before even trying to recruit Parise. Look at another terrible performing franchise in basketball - the Raptors are going after Nash publically and they will likely lose out because Nash wants to join a winning team, but at least the fans see strong evidence that the team is trying to improve.

Last edited by number72: 07-03-2012 at 11:00 AM.
number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Just read some of the comments that people post on these boards lol, I wouldnt want to play for a team who has fans that complain no matter what. I am just waiting to see who the new whippin boy is this year.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
When teams win, its an attractive place for UFAs.

We aren't winning, so we are not at the moment.
These guys are signing 10 year deals, how do they know that the team will be winning the entire time?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
I'd like to know this as well. I really can only remember signing guys that were good veterans, but don't recall this parade of elite UFA's that we used to sign when we were "good".

Mogilny, Belfour? Who else were elite?

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Considering UFA's used to always be older players, not sure that is a fair question. Only recently has it changed.
Fair enough.

I will add that I believe part of the Toronto appeal was the money we could offer on signing bonuses etc.. Now that the playing field is level, that advantage is no longer one we can leverage.

It is hard to say though because out of the big FA's over the last couple years, we have only really been moderately interested. We haven't really chased after big FA's and the ones we have targeted, we have acquired more often than not.

There is just a big gap between what fans target and what the club targets

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony135420 View Post
Heard an interesting discussion this morning on TSN1050, sad that I listen to it on the way to work, I know, but never the less it got me thinking, has Toronto lost its appeal for big ticket UFA's?

I came to the conclusion that it's not Toronto's atmosphere or the media here that would discourage say a Parise to sign here. I think it's the refusal of management to offer the long term deal (8+ yrs). Most big UFA signings in the last 3-4 years have been those kind of deals. I'm not trying to bash the management by any means. As a matter of fact, I'm happy we don't hand out these kinds of contracts. However, I have to ask myself, are we hurting ourselves by doing this?

I really think the two big US UFA's agents should be asked to comment if they feel their clients were discouraged from signing here because a national media figure would have ripped them for being American.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Just read some of the comments that people post on these boards lol, I wouldnt want to play for a team who has fans that complain no matter what. I am just waiting to see who the new whippin boy is this year.
My good man....7 straight years of playoff futility would give even the biggest homer reason to complain....no?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:02 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Excellent - blame the fans, blame the coach, blame the player but never blame the GM. Burke has to do a better sales job to UFAs and he has to put together a more competitive team if he wants to recruit quality UFA talent.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Tony346527272,

Leave this thread and work on your self-esteem. It's currently on the floor next to your feet.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Fair enough.

I will add that I believe part of the Toronto appeal was the money we could offer on signing bonuses etc.. Now that the playing field is level, that advantage is no longer one we can leverage.

It is hard to say though because out of the big FA's over the last couple years, we have only really been moderately interested. We haven't really chased after big FA's and the ones we have targeted, we have acquired more often than not.

There is just a big gap between what fans target and what the club targets
I really do believe if the Leafs look like a legit cup threat, if we can be a consistent playoff team, UFA's would line up to play here, have the chance of winning a cup in TO. Right now, from the outside, we look like a complete gongshow.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I guess the TSN guys read this article.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/02...ng-maple-leafs

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
daveleaf

We have become irrelevant over the last ten years. In time we will become a good franchise again and players will want to play here. There is no place to play like Toronto when you are winning.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
It's really simple.. Leafs are league wide joke. You don't sign here if you want to win, or just quietly do your job.

It would change in an instant if we were a perennial playoff team.
There is a dif between a contending stanley cup winner and contending playoff pretender. Players know thedifference but sadly leaf fans do not

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 07-03-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony135420 View Post

Yes. Not think. They have.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote