HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Signings: Signings and your proposals.

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Hawaiinleaf

vCash: 500
Moves that should allow us to make playoffs

In my opinion these moves are realistic and should help the team short term and long term make the playoffs finally

1. Clarke McCarthur + 3rd to SJ for Ryane Clowe

SJ needs speed up front and there board is full of proposed deals to try and get it and Clarke has it like it or not.

Clowe on Leafs brings size nasty top 6 ability and would be ideal on a second unit with Kuliman Gabo Clowe

2. The bottom 6 post JVR trade is in great need of an upgrade than top 6 by far..

McClement is a good acquisition for a checking centre but need for size and grit is screaming

Burke has made it clear were going to get assets via trade route from the post season sit down until now...

Derek Dorsett From Columbus for Joe Colborne

Brings a banger ( 27th in NHL in hits last year ) with size and some goal scoring to the Leafs who will fight but can play 12 goals last year 20 pts..Colborne is a good prospect but with JVR GABO and Maybe a C in Free Agency in 2013 not sure he has a chance...

[B]Matt Martin from Islanders for Franson

Matt Martin is loved on the Island and can skate and fight and is the leagues top hitter. He is a player 6'3" 210 who at 7 goals and 14 points and young and improving who would be perfect for our bottom 6. We have a huge over flow of D and the Islanders need D as evidenced by there draft.

Post trades lineup Forwards

Lupol JVR Kessel
Kuliman Gabo Clowe
Frattin Kadri Dorsett
Martin Mcclement Brown/Orr

On D sign one or trade for one big stay at home physical player and bring up Holtzer as 7th..

Last edited by Hawaiinleaf: 07-08-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old
07-08-2012, 11:16 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Respect your opinion Chuck, and I realize I'm pulling this from pages behind the thread and may be off topic by now, but the LA Kings D always pinched...always. Their hallmark in fact was the ability of their forwards to cover the point as the D would always pinch down to keep the cycle going in the zone. I don't believe you could be more off in your assessment of the Kings. An East West system doesn't mean you can't have pinching defenseman, it simply means your forwards have to always always remember to get back quickly.
I absolutely agree.

I should have articulated my sentence a little better for clarity.

What I meant in the fact that Carlyle is going to be playing LA style defence was in their own zone. Use the open man, even if it means passing the puck just two feet, and continue to work your way out of the zone from that point. Not using Wilsons model of look to move the puck out of the zone after one touch, which often got the Leafs in trouble.

Of course Carlyle will still preach to the defence they should be pinching to keep the pressure on, but Wilson's approach was that you should almost never back down off of that line. LA had a perfect blend of risk and responsibility due to their pieces on the ice and their coaching.

Carlyle is going to take a slightly different approach than Wilson in that regard.

Old
goonx

Goaltending is an issue

Old
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

I'd take Gganer but not for a first round pick.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
leftwinghockey

Why on earth do the islanders or sharks make those terrible deals?

What is the point of speculating the playoff potential of a team based on ludicrous deals that will never happen?

Old
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
I'd take Gganer but not for a first round pick.
where would he fit?

Old
07-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Hawaiinleaf

San jose wants more speed in top 6 go look at board its a huge issue...

Ryane stats are on decline last 3 years and Clarkes younger and on way up whats so offside on this????

Islander trade is very fair they drafted all D in draft you think they need immediate help????? Ahhh yeah!!!

Old
07-08-2012, 11:23 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I realize Kadri was drafted 2 years later, but I just find it interesting they are only 14 months different in age. Those late year birth dates really muddy the water wrt drafts.

Kadri we all suspect hasn't touched his ceiling, can't we say the same for someone only 14 months older?

Sure Gagne's been playing, on the worst team in the league.

PPG Rate:
Gagne .60
Kadri .37

I feel Kadri can be much better, and can't help but feel I have to get the same benefit of doubt to other players around the league.
Wilson jerked that kid around so bad it hurt. I know a guy that had the tools to get in the NHL, yeah he was impressive until "the politics" of hockey set in, this guy wasnt yet drafted but it literally ended his hockey dream, quit playing and to this day can not watch a game.

The handling of Kadri always reminds me this guy. I know when someone is getting jerked around, for whatever reason Kadri was marked by Wilson for sure. Complete bs he did not play last year.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post

Ryane stats are on decline last 3 years and Clarkes younger and on way up whats so offside on this????

Islander trade is very fair they drafted all D in draft you think they need immediate help????? Ahhh yeah!!!
Hey hey we have a shiney like new Lombardi for sell.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Those are depth moves a playoff team makes to go farther in the postseason, not the moves of a bottom 5 team looking to plug major holes.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
EazyB97

delete

Last edited by EazyB97: 07-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
07-08-2012, 11:34 AM
leftwinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post

These are horrible trades no matter how you spin them. Ryane Clowe is not the sort of player you hand over for a middling top 6 player with marginal speed who is a free agent at the end of the year.

Matt Martin is a budding power pest who is the hallmark depth player on great teams. Franson struggled to play for the Leafs last year.

Franson who was also all buy given away by the predators.

If these trades were remotely possible, Burke would be pressing for them with all his vigor.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Matt Martin is a 30+ goal first line winger for NYI, Franson is a bottom pairing/7th d-man for us. Do you really think that makes sense for them?
No your confusing Matt Martin with Matt moulson .... Moulson is the 1st line goal scorer, Martin is the bottom 6 checker (and a great one at that)

Old
07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Wilson jerked that kid around so bad it hurt. I know a guy that had the tools to get in the NHL, yeah he was impressive until "the politics" of hockey set in, this guy wasnt yet drafted but it literally ended his hockey dream, quit playing and to this day can not watch a game.

The handling of Kadri always reminds me this guy. I know when someone is getting jerked around, for whatever reason Kadri was marked by Wilson for sure. Complete bs he did not play last year.
There aren't many people here who would agree Wilson was a problem. But there are some of us who were calling for his head a couple years ago, going against the majority here.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
07-08-2012, 11:36 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
No your confusing Matt Martin with Matt moulson .... Moulson is the 1st line goal scorer, Martin is the bottom 6 checker (and a great one at that)
You're correct, my apologies.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post
These are horrible trades no matter how you spin them. Ryane Clowe is not the sort of player you hand over for a middling top 6 player with marginal speed who is a free agent at the end of the year.

Matt Martin is a budding power pest who is the hallmark depth player on great teams. Franson struggled to play for the Leafs last year.

Franson who was also all buy given away by the predators.

If these trades were remotely possible, Burke would be pressing for them with all his vigor.
Franson does have value , he was all but given away because we took a contract in Lombardi that they wanted off there hands

Old
07-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Islanders are desperate for D

Look at there team....Franson is a good player and would be a fair exchange for Matt Martin...

Burke has said what 50 times he wants size and grit in bottom 6 and yet these moves are moves people dont feel is something a team like ours makes???

I dont get it....Dorset and Martin would be exactly what this teams needs in bottom 6

Old
07-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Consistent, average goaltending. That's all.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Aplayaz2000

with added JVR to help the offense which kicked ass last year with the K L brothers

if Reimer can do a second half of the season he did in 10-11, anything is possible

Old
07-08-2012, 11:43 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
There aren't many people here who would agree Wilson was a problem. But there are some of us who were calling for his head a couple years ago, going against the majority here.
Well nobody will ever convince me that Wilson hockey and his system did not damage several players, the team, franchise and put back the fanbases dreams by 4 years min. They supporters to me were always and will be rembered by me as buyers of ocean front properties in Arizona.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:44 AM
leftwinghockey

Cody Franson does not get you Matt Martin. Maybe in a video game there OV attributes are similar but Martin is certainly a better asset. Makes no sense for te isles to waste Martin on Franson

Old
07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Phil Kessel for Matt Martin or do we need to add lol

Seriously if you said Gunnar for Matt Martin was fair your saying a 4th line forward is equal to a top 2 D thats BS.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
leftwinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
Franson does have value , he was all but given away because we took a contract in Lombardi that they wanted off there hands
I sad "all but" because they also gave a contract. That contract was the only thing stopping them from giving Franson away.

If they truly valued Franson then the preds would have found an alternate method to lose Lombardi

Old
07-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Cmillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
I absolutely agree.

I should have articulated my sentence a little better for clarity.

What I meant in the fact that Carlyle is going to be playing LA style defence was in their own zone. Use the open man, even if it means passing the puck just two feet, and continue to work your way out of the zone from that point. Not using Wilsons model of look to move the puck out of the zone after one touch, which often got the Leafs in trouble.

Of course Carlyle will still preach to the defence they should be pinching to keep the pressure on, but Wilson's approach was that you should almost never back down off of that line. LA had a perfect blend of risk and responsibility due to their pieces on the ice and their coaching.

Carlyle is going to take a slightly different approach than Wilson in that regard.
Agree.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

some interesting tidbits from last night!

N. Backstrom (MIN) is a goalie the Leafs have coveted but the Wild want to make a run with him this year with their new additions. They have plenty of faith in the Harding/Hackett duo but want to give Backstrom a chance to succeed. A small window of hope is if the cap decreases enough with the upcoming CBA it would put the Wild in a position to move him and go with their 2 young tenders that they love. Hopefully they get tipped that the cap is dropping $3m

N. Backstrom (WSH) apparently tires have been kicked. Wish he knew more.

C. Wilson (NSH) apparently was the piece that Nashville offered for Schenn. Leafs like him.

San Jose has a lot of deals they want to pull off with a few teams. Some of the names mentioned were Niemi, Clowe, Demers, Marleau, Pavelski, Murray and even Thornton! Sharks want a major shakeup. He also said that if Niemi gets moved they will go after Luongo hard.

Jackets still want the moon for Nash and from the sounds of it, they will get it.

thought i would share. Dont take to heart, just rink chatter.

Closed Thread