HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ales Hemsky To Pittsburgh

Old
07-06-2012, 06:53 PM
BeerMe

vCash: 500
Paul Martin

BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
MikeModano9

Oilers pass on hemsky for Martin straight up.

Better off keeping him. Letting him play in a top 6 where smyth and horcoff aren't on his line and see if he can get back to around a ppg pace.

If his shoulders hold up that is.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I want a top four NHL defenseman who has showed signs of slipping and has a contract that isn't the greatest, and a prospect defenseman who shows promise. If Martin was on a better contract and showed more signs of being able to return to form, I would be more willing to do it straight across.
Martin's one bad season cancels out Hemsky's injury problems and his contract is fine when you look at what teams give out in free agency. Despres and Morrow are as good as any Oiler dmen prospects and both would have a good chance at cracking Edmonton's opening night roster.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:59 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Hemsky's a big risk due to his injury problems and his less then consistent nature wrapped around a 5 million dollar cap hit and teams that might be interested are going to treat him that way.

A mid level roster player and a mid level prospect or pick would probably be a appropriate expectation in terms of a return on him.

Teams aren't going to be banging down the door for him until he shows some kind of rebound and that his injury problems are behind him.

Edmonton is basically better off keeping him and hoping that he comes all the way back without getting hurt.

I don't think he was worth keeping at that cap hit though.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod1986 View Post
Who would you go after then? What options do you see out there?
There are plenty of players I would rather pursue than Ales Hemsky. You shouldn't act like he's some sort of commodity.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:04 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyankees47 View Post
If that's the case, there's a reason he hasn't been traded yet despite constant rumors of Oilers' management trying to do so.

Other teams see his value for what it is..... very low.
That's fine. He will most likely either return to form or be hampered by his injuries for the rest of his career. I'm willing to take that gamble. Near PPG players don't grow on trees.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Keske

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I want a top four NHL defenseman who has showed signs of slipping and has a contract that isn't the greatest, and a prospect defenseman who shows promise. If Martin was on a better contract and showed more signs of being able to return to form, I would be more willing to do it straight across.
And in this hypothetical situation, Pittsburgh wants a top six NHL forward who has showed signs of slipping and has a contract that isn't the greatest. How does a prospect with 'promise' (which is grossly underselling both) come into it?

Keske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:07 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Please explain yourself more, it is not getting better.
I can't do much better if English isn't your first language sorry.

SaskOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
I can't do much better if English isn't your first language sorry.
LOL @ you trying to use "you have learned foreign languages" as an insult.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:12 PM
SEALBound

I honestly think the Hemsky to Pit potential has come and gone.

No interest right now unless its for a gross underpayment like Bortuzzo + pick or something.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
LOL @ you trying to use "you have learned foreign languages" as an insult.
Learning maybe.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:24 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Learning maybe.
So, a guy from Germany doesn't think Hemsky is worth what you want and it's somehow not the same value as Crosby. Gee, hope you can insult other countries on your rampage. I'd pay to see you mock Crosby to be honest.

crowi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:26 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Things I learned today: A player who has played 138 out of a possible 246 regular season games over the past 3 seasons has more value than a top-4 defenseman who had one below average year.

The player who has missed nearly 50% of his games over that 3-year stretch can have a good 25-game stretch and it is a good enough barometer to set his value.

Meanwhile, the top-4 Dman can have good stretches during the season, but an overall bad season results in him having negative value.

$5MM/year for a top-4 dman is a worse contract than $5MM/year for a player who has scored 20-or-more goals twice in his 9-year career, while being constantly hampered by injuries.

Ales Hemsky will either "most likely either return to form or be hampered by his injuries for the rest of his career" and is therefore not only worth a top-4 dman but ALSO a top organizational prospect.

Ignoring the ...genius that is hfboards value detector, let's consider ales hemsky's league-wide value:

the oilers have been rumored to be trying to move him for the past 2 trade deadlines. No one has given up anything of considerable value.

the hemsky contract extension was met with universal (outside of Edmonton) laughter.

And finally, a PMD will always have more value than a winger... even if that wingers' "should holds up."

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:29 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
So, a guy from Germany doesn't think Hemsky is worth what you want and it's somehow not the same value as Crosby. Gee, hope you can insult other countries on your rampage. I'd pay to see you mock Crosby to be honest.
Apparently it doesn't take a guy from Germany to totally miss the point.

I don't know how else to spell it out you two. I wasn't comparing the players aside from their well documented injury problems. Deal with it.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Things I learned today: A player who has played 138 out of a possible 246 regular season games over the past 3 seasons has more value than a top-4 defenseman who had one below average year.

The player who has missed nearly 50% of his games over that 3-year stretch can have a good 25-game stretch and it is a good enough barometer to set his value.

Meanwhile, the top-4 Dman can have good stretches during the season, but an overall bad season results in him having negative value.

$5MM/year for a top-4 dman is a worse contract than $5MM/year for a player who has scored 20-or-more goals twice in his 9-year career, while being constantly hampered by injuries.

Ales Hemsky will either "most likely either return to form or be hampered by his injuries for the rest of his career" and is therefore not only worth a top-4 dman but ALSO a top organizational prospect.

Ignoring the ...genius that is hfboards value detector, let's consider ales hemsky's league-wide value:

the oilers have been rumored to be trying to move him for the past 2 trade deadlines. No one has given up anything of considerable value.

the hemsky contract extension was met with universal (outside of Edmonton) laughter.

And finally, a PMD will always have more value than a winger... even if that wingers' "should holds up."
Perhaps you should've learned that Hemsky is better and more durable than Crosby too... or are you just going to insert your thoughts to this season? Seems that you know how the Oil does nothing wrong ever and are the greatest, even if you prefer your rollerblades.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:33 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Learning maybe.
Du musst es ja wissen. Da der Muttersprachler immer recht hat, Antworten vielleicht besser auf Deutsch.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:33 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Apparently it doesn't take a guy from Germany to totally miss the point.

I don't know how else to spell it out you two. I wasn't comparing the players aside from their well documented injury problems. Deal with it.
Seems like no one else understands what you're talking about either... perhaps you should shine some of that light to our faces. If you think showing us what you think is too difficult, please contact me in PM. If not, then show it.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:34 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Perhaps you should've learned that Hemsky is better and more durable than Crosby too... or are you just going to insert your thoughts to this season? Seems that you know how the Oil does nothing wrong ever and are the greatest, even if you prefer your rollerblades.
Games played last two seasons

Crosby 63
Hemsky 116

At least you were right on the more durable part anyway. Good boy!

Old
07-06-2012, 07:38 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Du musst es ja wissen. Da der Muttersprachler immer recht hat, Antworten vielleicht besser auf Deutsch.

Crosby ist immer noch ein schlechtes Eishockeyspieler in Deutsch

Old
07-06-2012, 07:38 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:

Crosby 63
Hemsky 116

Oh yes, this is what I mean.. let's see the point totals, penalty minutes etc too. This argument is a winner for you! Even if I was a german, I could recieve great pleasure from this...

Old
07-06-2012, 07:40 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Oh yes, this is what I mean.. let's see the point totals, penalty minutes etc too. This argument is a winner for you! Even if I was a german, I could recieve great pleasure from this...
How does points and penalty minutes prove durability?

Old
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I honestly think the Hemsky to Pit potential has come and gone.

No interest right now unless its for a gross underpayment like Bortuzzo + pick or something.
Yeah, this. Not overly interested.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:59 PM
wej20

Quote:

Crosby 63
Hemsky 116

Crosby has played over 70 games 4 times, Hemsky has also done it 4 times even though he's played an extra two season.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:03 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
If you want Hemsky, be prepared to offer something that reflects him returning to pre-injury form.
Won't happen. IF that's what the Oil expect, they'll be keeping him. See: Derek Roy trade. Injuries lessen trade value.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
McArthur

I wonder if the islanders, ottawa, or florida would trade for hemsky? pittsburgh doesnt make a lot of sense

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote