HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ales Hemsky To Pittsburgh

Old
07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
And that is why we're not talking about Joe Morrow currently.

NHL hockey is a tough game and players who go to tough area's get injured more than people who don't and Hemsky is one of those players. He is in the middle of his prime and even looked very good at the end of last season. He will be a scoring NHL forward for years to come and possbly an elite one. That is why WE are talking about Joe Morrow.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:57 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

So to sum it up:

Pens fans: We don't want your constantly injured perimeter dangler.
Oilers fans: We want to keep our completely cured elite winger anyway.

Why are we still arguing about it again???

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
number72

Hemsky+Schmid/N.Schultz for Martin

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:40 PM
SEALBound

Hemsky

for

Despres + 1st 2013 + 1st 2014

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
So to sum it up:

Exactly. Do not want. Let's move on.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Hemsky

for

Despres + 1st 2013 + 1st 2014

You forgot the

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
So to sum it up:

"Perimeter dangler?"

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I guess I might just be a homer but I honestly wouldn't trade Smid straight across for Martin... No chance

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
RehnX

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Hemsky's shoulders are fixed, then I want him.

He's only missed something like ~30 games due to ANY OTHER INJURY in his career. The past 2 seasons are not worth bringing up as he shut himself down for both of them to have surgery, he COULD have played. If the shoulders are good than he is an awesome pick-up and could likely be had for fairly cheap(Note: Cheap for a player of his caliber).

He's not soft, he's really not as injury prone as the Hive-Mind thinks, and he's HIGHLY skilled.

If he can take this hit and get up, then I'm convinced.

Would rather have Semin, but if the Pens miss him, Hemsky would not be a bad consolation prize.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:07 PM
hfboardsuser

----

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 07-15-2012 at 12:15 AM.
hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I guess I might just be a homer but I honestly wouldn't trade Smid straight across for Martin... No chance
not just a homer, just common sense.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:26 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Looking beyond the fact signing a healthy Semin is akin to getting a half-broken Hemsky when it matters (see: 17 points in 30 career playoff games versus Semin's 12 in 30 the last three years) you and I both know the odds of the Penguins do anything of the sort are low.

The fact of the matter is, Shero would rather scrape the bottom of the bargain bin for Kovalevs and Sullivans instead of admitting his concept of team building is severely flawed. Penguins fans should be outraged the best he's managed to do since winning the Cup is acquire a singular top-line winger. Every season he sticks one of Crosby/Malkin with a Dupuis or Cooke is another year potentially lost as opposing teams relentlessly abuse Pittsburgh's lone offensive weapons. Trading the third center in the three-center model for an inferior one and what turned into a young, 3 years away PMD only solidifies that.

So okay, the Oilers will stick with their chronically injured skill forward- and one of Malkin or Crosby will continue to play without run support, paying for Shero's ineptitude with their careers. But I suppose he's not alone- Pens fans are practically begging for it.
I seem to remember a team called the Penguins winning some sort of cup with Chris Kunitz as their best winger. Offence was definitely the Pens problem in the series against the Flyers.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
RehnX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I seem to remember a team called the Penguins winning some sort of cup with Chris Kunitz as their best winger. Offence was definitely the Pens problem in the series against the Flyers.
The defense was fine though-out the year, so it's safe to assume that one series is not evidence of a defensive overhaul being needed.

Adding an offensive winger of high skill who can control the puck very well(something Kunitz and honestly Neal CANNOT DO) would open the ice more for Sid, thereby lowering the chance of him getting knocked into the 3rd row with jelly for brains. Hemmer is also a RH shot, and is a phenomenal passer and would help substantially on the powerplay.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
The defense was fine though-out the year, so it's safe to assume that one series is not evidence of a defensive overhaul being needed.

Adding an offensive winger of high skill who can control the puck very well(something Kunitz and honestly Neal CANNOT DO) would open the ice more for Sid, thereby lowering the chance of him getting knocked into the 3rd row with jelly for brains. Hemmer is also a RH shot, and is a phenomenal passer and would help substantially on the powerplay.
I'm not saying adding another winger wouldn't be a help. Fleury was probably the main reason the defence looked fine throughout the regular season, Orpik, Martin and Michalek all struggled at times throughout the season plus Letang missed a lot of games. I'm not against Hemsky, he would help the PP but I wouldn't pay the price for PPG Hemksy given the season he's just had.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:59 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Hemsky's shoulders are fixed, then I want him.

He's only missed something like ~30 games due to ANY OTHER INJURY in his career. The past 2 seasons are not worth bringing up as he shut himself down for both of them to have surgery, he COULD have played. If the shoulders are good than he is an awesome pick-up and could likely be had for fairly cheap(Note: Cheap for a player of his caliber).

He's not soft, he's really not as injury prone as the Hive-Mind thinks, and he's HIGHLY skilled.

If he can take this hit and get up, then I'm convinced.

Would rather have Semin, but if the Pens miss him, Hemsky would not be a bad consolation prize.

A non Oilers fan who actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to Hemsky. I've been on HF for 2.5 years now and I think you're the only person from a different fan base who has ever made an accurate post about 83. mind=blown

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:05 PM
rockinghockey

This is ironic that they want a top 6 winger but will only give up low end prospects. EDM has plenty of those type of prospects so why would they give him up for nothing.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Martin is worth Schultz by himself let alone 2 players. What a laugh

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Soundwave

Oilers should hold off on dealing Hemsky unless the return is a good one because IMO his value will rise if he gets off to a hot start to the season.

His game started to ramp up as the season wore down and he was dynamite at the World Championships.

This guy has a ton of talent and now has had a lot of time to properly rehab his shoulder. And he'll likely be paired with Nail Yakupov to start with next season.

If you can get a good return for him fine, but I don't see the sense in just throwing him away. Paajarvi is not ready for consistent top six minutes yet, the Oilers need another top six forward, and while in an ideal world, that forward would be a 6'4 power forward that hits everything that moves, there are far worse things in the world than having Ales Hemsky in your top six, especially if his shoulder has healed.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
This is ironic that they want a top 6 winger but will only give up low end prospects. EDM has plenty of those type of prospects so why would they give him up for nothing.
I have no problem giving up the higher end prospects for the right fit, Hemsky too much of a risk to justify moving any of the top guys.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:18 PM
RehnX

Quote:
I'm not saying adding another winger wouldn't be a help. Fleury was probably the main reason the defence looked fine throughout the regular season, Orpik, Martin and Michalek all struggled at times throughout the season plus Letang missed a lot of games. I'm not against Hemsky, he would help the PP but I wouldn't pay the price for PPG Hemksy given the season he's just had.
I'm not sure about linemates, but Hemsky hasn't been getting exactly top tier forward help on his line, and hasn't for a while.

It was also the defense, the Pens had the 4th fewest shots against per game during the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

A non Oilers fan who actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to Hemsky. I've been on HF for 2.5 years now and I think you're the only person from a different fan base who has ever made an accurate post about 83. mind=blown
Which is sad really, as it's all common sense that gets ignored due to sensationalism(Rick Nash is overrated, Crosby whines/is retiring because all concussions are Savard/Lindros, "x" player is dirty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Well, to be fair the prospects aren't low end, Hemmer is coming off a bad season, and wings are something the Oils have a surplus of. Edmonton is on the end of a rebuild, roster-ready prospects that play a positional need are what it WOULD take in most cases(skilled veterans are easier to acquire).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Pens are a contender, who don't NEED Hemmer(but could use him/want him), and they'd be fine without him.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
wej20

Quote:
I'm not sure about linemates, but Hemsky hasn't been getting exactly top tier forward help on his line, and hasn't for a while.

It was also the defense, the Pens had the 4th fewest shots against per game during the regular season.

Which is sad really, as it's all common sense that gets ignored due to sensationalism(Rick Nash is overrated, Crosby whines/is retiring because all concussions are Savard/Lindros, "x" player is dirty)

Well, to be fair the prospects aren't low end, Hemmer is coming off a bad season, and wings are something the Oils have a surplus of. Edmonton is on the end of a rebuild, roster-ready prospects that play a positional need are what it WOULD take in most cases(skilled veterans are easier to acquire).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Pens are a contender, who don't NEED Hemmer(but could use him/want him), and they'd be fine without him.
You have to consider the quality of the shot not just the quantity.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
RehnX

Quote:
You have to consider the quality of the shot not just the quantity.
MaF was 23rd out of starters(if my counting is correct) for save%, and his exact % was right around his average, the defense was better than we give them credit for, it was just when they DID breakdown there was no recovering from it and it was so glaringly obvious.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:34 PM
wej20

Quote:
MaF was 23rd out of starters(if my counting is correct) for save%, and his exact % was right around his average, the defense was better than we give them credit for, it was just when they DID breakdown there was no recovering from it and it was so glaringly obvious.
I think you're definition of starters is pretty lose, if you played in less than half the games then you shouldn't be counted as a starter.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Slatsmsg

vCash: 370
Hemsky would be a great winger for Sid, most certainly an upgrade on Dupuis, Kennedy, Cooke etc.. But, I feel Edmonton needs to hang on to him, he will be an integral part of the team pushing for the playoffs. His shoulders are healed and he started to get the game speed back at seasons end. He will rebound this year. Credit Yaks in advance as his finish will be awesome but Hemsky is an extremely good "perimeter dangler" and fantastic passer who will feed him the puck in the scoring areas.
Wouldn't move him to Pitt unless there was a significant upgrade on D coming back which the Penguins (as evidenced by their playoffs vs. Philly) cannot afford to relinquish.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
No he doesn't have much value.

Yes, Pens and Oilers could be good trading partners.

No, Pens fans probably don't do a good job of representing the interests of the Penguins management right now.

Pens need a playmaker for Crosby or Malkin. Edmonton either needs to get bigger in their top 6 or they need a clear upgrade on defence.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote