HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With Goose and Roy gone, who gets the new A's?

Old
07-04-2012, 04:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
With Goose and Roy gone, who gets the new A's?

While it is possible that a new acquisition could be brought in gets one, judging by what we have right now.

We currently have:

C: Pominville
A: Vanek
A: Stafford

First question: how many A's? Do we go to 4 again and thus get two new guys A's, or is 2 enough?

Now assuming we roll with 4 A's again. Who gets the other 2?

Regehr
Ehrhoff
Myers
Ott
Kaleta
Hodgson

??

I think it's safe to say a D-man will get one, Ruff has in the past stated that he likes D-men having a letter (McKee, Numminen, Lydman/Spacek/Campbell in the rotating letters, Rivet), but last year was odd in that there were no D-men wearing letters.

I think Kaleta would be fun just to troll the whole league, but realistically if a forward got a letter, it would be Ott. Hodgson is not quite ready I'd guess.

Out of the D, arguments could be made for any of those three.

My guess is Ott and Regehr get the letters, maybe Ott and Ehrhoff. I don't think Ruff will give it to Myers yet, maybe a few years down the road.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
McTank

Regher and Hoff make sense to me

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Ehrhoff without question gets an A.

I would say Leopold if he is still here. Seems like Leo is well liked by players and coaches.

Regehr doesnt seem to want it.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
If we roll 4 As, Ehrhoff without question gets one in my book.

Of the forwards, Ott is probably the best choice to wear an A. Otherwise, I wonder if this is Myers' time.......

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Depends how Lindy wants to do it. He could just stick with 3 full-time captains, and have:

C - Pominville
A - Vanek
A - Stafford

If he wants to do the home/away thing, I'd say:

C - Pominville
A - Vanek
A - Stafford
A - Ehrhoff
A - Leopold/Myers

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Give it to Foligno ..... Mold this puppy into the ultimate Captain!

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Vito_81

Regehr would be a waste. For one, I personally wish he wasn't even on the team with his diminishing abilities at that high of a cap hit.

But the non-personally biased reason is that he's definitely gone by seasons end so no point giving it to him just to give it to another guy next season.

Ehrhoff gets one for sure, Ott probably gets the other. But personally, I think slapping one on Myers would be the way to go. Ott will still be a leader without the A. Putting one on Myers may make him up his game a la the C on Pominville

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:39 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Regehr would be a waste. For one, I personally wish he wasn't even on the team with his diminishing abilities at that high of a cap hit.
But the non-personally biased reason is that he's definitely gone by seasons end so no point giving it to him just to give it to another guy next season.

Ehrhoff gets one for sure, Ott probably gets the other. But personally, I think slapping one on Myers would be the way to go. Ott will still be a leader without the A. Putting one on Myers may make him up his game a la the C on Pominville
We must have watched two different players. Nevermind the fact that leadership is more than on ice performance

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Give it to Foligno ..... Mold this puppy into the ultimate Captain!
Too early. He's not even guaranteed to be on the team for all of next season.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:41 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post

Regehr did what he was asked to do very well last year.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Myers and Ehrhoff

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
gallagt01

Kaleta and Gerbe are my darkhorse candidates but I think Ehrhoff and Myers is automatic.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Myers and Ott

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Back in the day it was one C and two As. When did teams start going to four As?

I'd rather just have Pominville as C and two As. Not sure I want Stafford to have one but it would be kinda weird taking his letter away. Ehrhoff will get a letter eventually though.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
buffswords

I think they should run something like this.
Two captains, one offensive captain and one defensive captain(goalies are included in the defense). Each month, Lindy picks an offense and defense captain (he picks them based on effort, stats, leadership,etc from the previous month). These captains captain there portion of the team (offense or defense) and not the other (defense captain cant captain the offense. But say if the offense captain notices something on the defense, he can tell the defense captain who will then address it (they work together). Heres the incentive: for every month that you captain, Terry Pegula will write you a bonus of $15,000. Not to much but enough to encourage them to work harder to become the captain. Hopefully it would bring out the best in everyone

Thoughts?

buffswords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffswords View Post
Two captains, one offensive captain and one defensive captain(goalies are included in the defense). Each month, Lindy picks an offense and defense captain (he picks them based on effort, stats, leadership,etc from the previous month). These captains captain there portion of the team (offense or defense) and not the other (defense captain cant captain the offense. But say if the offense captain notices something on the defense, he can tell the defense captain who will then address it (they work together). Heres the incentive: for every month that you captain, Terry Pegula will write you a bonus of $15,000. Not to much but enough to encourage them to work harder to become the captain. Hopefully it would bring out the best in everyone

Thoughts?
Only $15,000? Nobody's going to lead for that kind of chump change.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Husko

Part of me wants the next core to get them, Ennis, Myers, Hodgson, etc.

Something tells me they'd be considered too young.

How about Sekera? He's sort of in the inbetween core.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:11 PM
buffswords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Only $15,000? Nobody's going to lead for that kind of chump change.
How much then like 50 grand?
Anyway do you like the idea?

buffswords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:12 PM
revengeiseek

I am a fan of 1 C and 2 A's. Not opposed to 4 a's I am glad we don't rotate C's anymore.

Ehrhoff and Myers. I wouldn't be opposed to Ott getting an A either depending on how he shows in camp. He seems to be a very vocal guy in the locker room.

revengeiseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:14 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Thoughts?
Cap circumvention for one (giving extra money for that), so it's against the CBA.

Plus one of the biggest reasons for having captains is tradition, aside from he proscribed duties of being allowed to talk with the refs. You don't need a letter to be a leader, but it's tradition to recognize the leaders with a letter.

Plus we had rotating captains in the past, and most of us hated it then.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Cap circumvention for one (giving extra money for that), so it's against the CBA.

Plus one of the biggest reasons for having captains is tradition, aside from he proscribed duties of being allowed to talk with the refs. You don't need a letter to be a leader, but it's tradition to recognize the leaders with a letter.

Plus we had rotating captains in the past, and most of us hated it then.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:19 PM
LGB24

Quote:

Thoughts?
changing the captains every month would be a nightmare.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:

Thoughts?
On what basis do we strip Pominville of the captaincy?

Dude was probably our best forward all year.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
On what basis do we strip Pominville of the captaincy?

Dude was probably our best forward all year.
I dont know what Poms has to do for some people. He has been our best player since 2007.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
tsujimoto74

I'd be down with Ehrhoff getting an A. Myers...I just wonder if it's still too soon? His big contract starts this year, and I bet he already feels enough pressure just to do his job playing the game without adding other responsibilities to it.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote