HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

45 candidates for Toronto's top line centre position...

Old
07-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

vCash: 500
I like the reasoning in that Zajac who is top line centre and if he were to be dealt to Toronto, they have the assets that Lou would demand......which is the top line centre replacement.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
The answer to this is it's a damn hot Saturday, so no there really is not much else to do.
Of course you don't find many fans in a rival city. But its well known that as a whole, the Leafs have the biggest fanbase...

Again, its sad if you let your feelings for a team be dictated by a 3rd party whether it be media or fans... I'm not a fan of most Bruins fans on here, nor can I even stand NESN.. But I'm not going to let those 2 outside factors dictate my feelings of Patrice Bergeron, Chris Kelly or Tyler Seguin. I like those 3 players and was glad to see them win a cup... Jack Edwards and arrogant Bruins fans won't change that.

Nobody is salivating over your favorite players, and you completely missed my point... Fans do have their favorite players and thats why they aren't good at assessing these things... GM's have their job because they understand its business.. Do you think Jimmy Rutherford wanted to trade Brandon Sutter?

Its a business, one that most of HF would fail miserably at.

And you have nothing better to do on a Saturday then troll HF?

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RBR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWB View Post
Good post buddy. I just read that same comment and was going to type something very similar out. The fact is the Leafs have not yet drafted a number 1 center and are looking to aquire a number 1 center so a thread like this is very relevant. If people don't want to read or talk about this fact simply don't click on the thread title.
It's not just threads on HF. You can't avoid it either when watching Sportscentre/Sportsnet/CBC .

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:58 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
It's not just threads on HF. You can't avoid it either when watching Sportscentre/Sportsnet/CBC .
If you were in the business of sports media, specifically hockey media - wouldn't you locate yourself in the biggest city in Canada and direct a large portion of programming towards the team with the biggest following?

Media success hinges on viewership and following.... Its just good business. Its unfortunate you don't understand.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Kader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
You have a funny definition for the word "fact". Traditionally those are called "opinions" or "speculation".
Not quite, it's a fact because that is precisely what happened..

Kader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
BanglaLeafs

sparxx is just killin it!!! lol

BanglaLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Clark4Ever

Forty five candidates? Is that the best you can come up with?

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Kader

I think what the OP is trying to say is that for the right price, any player can be acquired. However, due to contracts and team strenghts/weaknesses, some players will be much more difficult to acquire.

Therefore, you can't come in here and say that [insert your teams center] wont be traded because he:
1. Loves playing there
2. Team won't trade him because he has a good contract
3. He plays in the same division

etc.

Kudos to the OP for an interesting thread, it's a shame that fans can be so ignoran

I would say that if Anaheim continues to fizzle, then Getzlaf could be an interesting option in the FA market depending on his relationship with Carlyle, which I'm not sure about.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Kader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I like the reasoning in that Zajac who is top line centre and if he were to be dealt to Toronto, they have the assets that Lou would demand......which is the top line centre replacement.
With that logic no player could ever be traded because a player of identical skillset and position must be the return?

Old
07-07-2012, 11:13 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kader View Post
With that logic no player could ever be traded because a player of identical skillset and position must be the return?
This. It's laughable even just looking at a couple of the last few trades in the NHL with Dallas/buffalo and Toronto/Philly.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:13 AM
jambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
it's funny Leaf fans think they can actually acquire Ryan Getzlaf, simply put, don't have what we want, and he wants to stay here, let that pipe dream die plz. tyvm
Sorry, I didn't get the memo about your promotion as the Ducks GM. Fact of the matter is it does not matter what you want, only what your GM wants.

And considering he gave Toronto Lupul AND Gardiner for Beauch, I'm willing to bet he is capable of other similarly horrible moves in the future.

jambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

I think Totonto should go hard after Getzlaf. I mean, risk tampering charges hard. Float it everyday how much you'd love a guy like that, and how much you'd spend on a guy like that, and how a guy like that turns TO into a significant threat... Make it so that there is no doubt in Getzlaf's mind that Burke is coming for him and will make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

07-07-2012, 11:21 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanglaLeafs View Post
sparxx is just killin it!!! lol
Yes he is

Old
07-07-2012, 11:24 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I think Totonto should go hard after Getzlaf. I mean, risk tampering charges hard. Float it everyday how much you'd love a guy like that, and how much you'd spend on a guy like that, and how a guy like that turns TO into a significant threat... Make it so that there is no doubt in Getzlaf's mind that Burke is coming for him and will make him one of the highest paid players in the league.
I like your outside-the-box thinking. Excellent suggestion. The Maple Leafs will otherwise be hard-pressed to find a #1A/B center though trade, and if they did the price would be astronomical.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Mr Lahey*

Nazem Kadri is becoming the most underrated prospect on these boards, even amongst leaf fans. And for that, I am greatful. Nazem will be a dynamic player in the nhl soon.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
100% agree. Getzlaf is the perfect center for Toronto to get them to the next level.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
If you were in the business of sports media, specifically hockey media - wouldn't you locate yourself in the biggest city in Canada and direct a large portion of programming towards the team with the biggest following?

Media success hinges on viewership and following.... Its just good business. Its unfortunate you don't understand.
You can talk about the Maple Leafs without talking about them hypothetically acquiring all these players.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:41 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Did you watch the whole video?

Turn up the volume.

Burke: "Kadri's the guy we're going to take. Is that the kid you want?"
Murray: "Yeah."
My god, this is so true! And of course, never before in the history of the NHL has a General Manager lied to another! That's absolutely unheard of!

I reiterate the offer... Matt Puempel for Phil Kessel! You know Burke wanted Puempel and was angry that Murray "stole" him away, so obviously you'll want to trade your best player for him!

Your logic, not mine.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

You're delusional if you think either Elias or Zajac are even a little available.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Rodimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
My god, this is so true! And of course, never before in the history of the NHL has a General Manager lied to another! That's absolutely unheard of!

I reiterate the offer... Matt Puempel for Phil Kessel! You know Burke wanted Puempel and was angry that Murray "stole" him away, so obviously you'll want to trade your best player for him!

Your logic, not mine.
Go outside and take a breather. This thread is apparently getting to you.

Rodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Rodimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
You're delusional if you think either Elias or Zajac are even a little available.
No zajac= njd fan "where's zajac!"
Adds zajac= njd fan "zajac not available!"

Good ol hf.

Rodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
L E A F S
Rookie User

I still think Getzlaf should be Burke's main target...

L E A F S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:57 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
If Burke has any chance at Getzlaf, he'll have to hope that Getzlaf doesn't re-sign with the Ducks in a retirement deal and that the new CBA limits cap circumvention contracts and maybe even limit the term on such contracts.

But if Getzlaf hits UFA, Brian Burke will be going for him HARD. I'd even say that the Leafs would be the favourites to land him. Burke might go overboard with the contract, but I'm sure Leaf fans won't argue with him.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:02 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by L E A F S View Post
I still think Getzlaf should be Burke's main target...
He likely will be, but I doubt the Ducks trade him.. Its unlikely any team gives up the assets required for what could possibly be only 1 year of service..

The Leafs are better off going all in next July 1st, if he makes it...

Then again, teams may be learning from Parise/Suter this year, and Brad Richards last year - Negotiate extensions! ... If they don't sign, trade them to the highest bidder. I can't imagine many more teams will risk being left at the altar.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:06 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Datsyuk etc. all belong with their teams and fit there.

But one of Stamkos and Tavares are coming home when their contracts up. Perhaps both, and that is when the curse is lifted and we raise the Cup for the first time since '67. It will be glorious. (If Seguin wants to come home we will say no)
HA HA HA

When was the last time a superstar came home to Toronto in his prime?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote