HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Hall of Fame Tour

Old
09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Hall of Fame Tour

It's something I always wanted to do, and now I am doing it.

Basically, turned out to be a confluence of two major events: the Kings winning the Cup, and me basically being laid off the last two weeks of September.

With nothing else to do, it went off like a light bulb...I mean, I really want to see that Kings (current champion) display in person!

I flew into Boston today and rented a car and will be in Springfield tomorrow. Then on to Cooperstown, Toronto, and Canton, and that will cover the four major sports. Throw in a Bills/Browns game (yeah, I know, but I had nothing else to do in Cleveland next Sunday), and maybe a side trip to the Niagara Falls, and it should be a good time.

Will be in Toronto for almost three full days later this week. Never been to that part of Canada, either, should be a trip. Really want to go to Montreal, though, but no time for it this time around.

09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
CharlieGirl

That sounds like a great trip! I haven't been to the others, but the HHOF in Toronto is amazing. The interactive stuff is very cool as well.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Thanks.

Basketball HOF was awesome...I was in there for 4 1/2 hours. Baseball is tomorrow...I am really looking for to the Hockey one for obvious reasons.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
nothercastle
Rookie User

I'll be at the HHOF this weekend. What day are you going? I'm either going Saturday or Monday. I'm in Toronto to catch a Slash concert on Sunday. Should be a fun weekend and I hope the Kings names are etched into the Cup...fingers crossed

nothercastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothercastle View Post
I'll be at the HHOF this weekend. What day are you going? I'm either going Saturday or Monday. I'm in Toronto to catch a Slash concert on Sunday. Should be a fun weekend and I hope the Kings names are etched into the Cup...fingers crossed
I'm driving up there on Thursday and attending Friday. Driving back south to Cleveland on Saturday.

I don't think the names have been etched on yet...maybe the replica in Toronto has them? I think the Cup is still making its rounds with some team staff.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:31 AM
MsWoof

Have fun, the HHoF is great, nice old building right downtown.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:10 AM
nothercastle
Rookie User

I think Luc was the last "player" to get a day with it a few days ago. And it was being shipped off to get engraved this week. Fingers crossed it will have the names on the Cup this weekend!

Last edited by nothercastle: 09-19-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Butch 19
King me

You'll have a great time there. We spent maybe 5 hours there and I could have stayed longer.

It is easily one of the top 10 places I've ever visited.

Enjoy!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
You'll have a great time there. We spent maybe 5 hours there and I could have stayed longer.

It is easily one of the top 10 places I've ever visited.

Enjoy!
Thanks...I have been finding that 4 1/2 hours is my absolute limit...I was pretty burnt out today in Cooperstown. And the day before in Springfield.

FYI, Basketball HOF claims to be the best, and it was enjoyable, but the Baseball HOF blew it away. I could have been there the whole day...if I had the energy I had maybe 25 years ago!

Old
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

All done and I will send some pertinent photos when I get them uploaded from my camera.

The latest champion is prominently featured. From the display case to the Stanley Cup DVD being played in the theatre next to the case, to a larger than life team photo with the Cup taken on the ice as you go upstairs to the trophy room...its pretty awesome.

The replica trophies (Stanley, Campbell, Conn Smythe, etc.) all look like the real thing...perhaps the Conn Smythe is real because it's been returned to the Hall? I don't know, but Quick's name is not on it. Although he is referenced in a plaque below the trophy.

I would honestly have to say that it ranks 2nd on my list of Hall of Fames so far, with only one more to visit (Football) on Monday. I might be able to squeeze in the Rock 'n Roll HOF on Saturday but not sure yet. It definitely was the most cluttered and not so great as a logical layout goes. It appears that they had limited room and just stuffed everything in there as they could, compared to both basketball and baseball, but so far I am going to rank hockey even above basketball because even though the layout is weak they still had a lot of great content in there. I definitely recommend for anyone traveling to this part of the country.

But Toronto traffic if ****ing terrible. Jesus H. Christ, is it bad.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:29 PM
MsWoof

There is a ton of construction. Were you here today because there was a parade for the Olympic athletes.

Last edited by MsWoof: 09-24-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old
09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Nah, I am talking about the 404 freeway traffic which was jammed solid, which my GPS dumped me off to get onto 15 km of Warden, which was a nightmare.

My idiot self put be up in Markham, not Toronto (there wasn't much available when I made the reservation), and I didn't realize it was 30 minutes away. But the traffic made it over an hour just to go about 25 km. Insane.

Old
09-22-2012, 05:21 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Nah, I am talking about the 404 freeway traffic which was jammed solid, which my GPS dumped me off to get onto 15 km of Warden, which was a nightmare.

My idiot self put be up in Markham, not Toronto (there wasn't much available when I made the reservation), and I didn't realize it was 30 minutes away. But the traffic made it over an hour just to go about 25 km. Insane.
Next time you go somewhere you should post on whichever HF board is close to the city for advice. You were way out of HHoF territory as you now know

Old
09-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Shootmaster_44

Anyone know how long the display will be up in the HHOF? I'd definitely head out to Toronto and check it out. I love going to the Hall of Fame, even their shop is better than most sports stores in Canada. At least I can easily get Kings stuff there.

Also, just an FYI, if you are at the HHOF, you should check out Gretzky's restaurant on Blue Jays Way (roughly 10 or 12 blocks Toronto West (the lake is always South in Toronto, even when it isn't)) has tons of great memorabilia up in the restaurant. I haven't been there in a few years, but I remember there being lots of Kings stuff in there. Of course, I am a Gretzky fan so the non-Kings, Gretzky stuff was good too.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Anyone know how long the display will be up in the HHOF? I'd definitely head out to Toronto and check it out. I love going to the Hall of Fame, even their shop is better than most sports stores in Canada. At least I can easily get Kings stuff there.

Also, just an FYI, if you are at the HHOF, you should check out Gretzky's restaurant on Blue Jays Way (roughly 10 or 12 blocks Toronto West (the lake is always South in Toronto, even when it isn't)) has tons of great memorabilia up in the restaurant. I haven't been there in a few years, but I remember there being lots of Kings stuff in there. Of course, I am a Gretzky fan so the non-Kings, Gretzky stuff was good too.
Gretzky's is downtown and I haven't been there in years (same as the Hall) but I really need to get back downtown from time to time. I live east of Toronto in Scarborough and rarely go downtown anymore. The Hall has a great gift shop and you can spend hours in it since they rotate the display.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Old
09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Old
09-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Old
09-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Bottom plaque of the Conn Smythe trophy...Quick's name is not on it yet, but there is a full description in the plaque.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Replica Stanley Cup.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Old
09-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Doughty's "smile" impressed me enough to emphasize it.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Won't bore you with all the photos I took, but this one I just had to point out...all the trophies are prominently displayed, with the exception of one...I found this one hidden in a corner.

The President's Trophy.

Draw your own conclusions, but I found the location...interesting.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Thx for the pix, Ron! They were all good but this one ^^^^^ is obviously my favorite.

Cool stuff!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:38 PM
nothercastle
Rookie User

Just got back from the HHOF myself. Found a few cool items. Seen Kopitar's jersey from Slovenia. Kings had a full section as pictured above and the Kings DVD was playing in a theater. Had fun and took a few pics, maybe I'll post them. I'm sad I missed that Bob Miller broadcaster award. But I'll be going back soon anyways as the Kings names were not engraved yet.