HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dylan Olsen

Old
07-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Snowhawk

vCash: 500
Dylan Olsen

There seems to be a lot of love for this guy around here and to be honest I'm not really sure why.

To me he is just a guy... bottom of the roster filler at best. I watch him play and he doesn't seem to do much of anything. He has good size but doesn't seem to play a physical game. Not very aggressive as you can tell by his 6 minutes in penalties over 28 games. Not a great puck mover or passer. Can't really comment on his shot because you hardly ever see him shoot. I hear he is a good skater but to me he seems slow, this was really evident when he played in world juniors.

I really thought he was a reach when the Hawks drafted him and he has done nothing to change my opinion. If this is the type of player that Stan is relying on to play on a regular basis then I think the Hawks are taking a step backwards.

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:43 AM
HawkeyLife07

I was very critical of Byfuglien when he was a rookie so I'll wait on full judgement on Olsen.

But I believe he is a future 5/6 guy.. You don't usually get 1/2 Dmen at 28th pick.

HawkeyLife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Snowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyLife07 View Post
I was very critical of Byfuglien when he was a rookie so I'll wait on full judgement on Olsen.

But I believe he is a future 5/6 guy.. You don't usually get 1/2 Dmen at 28th pick.
Definitely to early in his development to write him off, just having a feeling he will be an AHL guy and nothing more.

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Paul Allen

He isn't the best skater which is holding him back right now. I never felt he looked too out of place in the nhl but he definitely could use a little more polishing. He has a pretty hard slapper and I've seen him make some good 1st passes. He uses his body but needs to work on foot speed to make the most out of it. He'll never be a top pairing guy here but in a couple years our 2nd pair could be leddy and him.

Last edited by Paul Allen: 07-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

I thought the mistakes he made when we was on the big club were nothing more than generic rookie mistakes. He's never going to a fast Dman, but outside of that I think his game is incredibly solid and with proper development he could be on the second pair in a couple years and when he hits his prime...who knows?

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I didn't think he looked bad at all, his skating improved a little bit with his time on the hawks, but no he isn't the best skater. He can be physical and feisty, which i like. The only issue i had with him was is inconsistency (which every rookie has). Sometimes he would make really smart plays and sometimes really dumb plays.

With the signing of Brookbank, I think it gurantees that Olsen will be in rockford next season.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quenneville clearly doesn't think he's ready yet, Brookbank was obviously brought in to stopgap as a 6th and physical defenseman until Olsen has developed a bit more.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Olsen needs to continue to work on his skating before he can become a regular NHL dman

He will be ok option for short durations in event of injury but the more he played last year the more his issues were on display

Also is turnover machine

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Olsen needs to continue to work on his skating before he can become a regular NHL dman

He will be ok option for short durations in event of injury but the more he played last year the more his issues were on display

Also is turnover machine
Take out the 'work on his skating' part and you just described Nick Leddy pretty well.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Blue Liner

I think he was solid in his brief time while he was up, but he is probably better served to start the season in Rockford and play more minutes down there and work on some things. I liked a lot of what I saw in him, though, and think he'll be a solid bottom pairing guy at the very least down the road as an NHL regular. Good for spot duty now, as others have said, for injuries or suspensions and the like. He made some young mistakes but I never really "worried" about him when he was on the ice. He didn't do anything great to get noticed, but not getting noticed as a young defenseman is a good thing in my eyes because it means you're not making a lot of mistakes and are just making the simple, routine plays without issue. Not being noticed, as a defensman, is generally a pretty good for the most part, especially a young 20-something getting your first sniff of NHL action.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Looking meh as defenseman in your first 28 games is a positive.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Take out the 'work on his skating' part and you just described Nick Leddy pretty well.
Except Leddy has shown he can play a larger role (Not as large as he was forced into) and survive at NHL level

Olsen was getting badly beaten by skaters the more he played

And Leddy's offensive abilty (Something Olsen just simply doesn't have) is already NHL capable thus offsetting his defensive troubles

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Looking meh as defenseman in your first 28 games is a positive.
Exactly. He has work to do, obviously, but I like his upside a lot. He showed me enough in his stint that I definitely want to see him up again at some point, though ideally hopefully not because of long-term injury or anything like that to one of our current guys.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:22 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

He's way too slow right now. I don't want to see him out there for a ton of minutes.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:09 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Dylan Olsen was ranked 27th by NHL Central Scouting.. not that it should matter. Every NHL team has players ranked differently. It's why, every year, you have guys who go higher or lower than they "should". Derrick Pouliot is a good example from this past draft. He was slotted to go 12-15th (I believe) but went 8th overall to Pittsburgh. On top of that, Pittsburgh had him ranked as the 1st or 2nd best Dman on their list.

There's nothing wrong with Dylan Olsen. He's a big guy who needs to work on his foot speed and acceleration. He's only been playing Pro for a year and a half and looked solid in his games in the NHL this year and at times, looked very good playing 20 minutes a night alongside Keith when injuries arose.

He'll be a solid NHL Dman for years to come. It's just a matter of him being a 3-4 guy or a 5-6 at this point.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Hawkaholic

He looked OK at times, but got burnt by being too slow, too many times.

Guess we'll see if that has improved over the summer, come camp

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:15 PM
MagicSlap*

Definitely has NHL potential. The one game I was able to attend this year (Avs game, Olsen's second game I believe) he was maybe the most impressive Hawks d man. Yes he needs to work on his skating and decision making but he's got a nice set of tools and good size. Probably a nice 2nd pairing guy if he develops right.

Hopefully, top pairing Rockford minutes for him this season.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

To expect any young D to come in and be extremely good in his first games in the league is a little short sighted and being overly critical. I thought he looked decent enough while learning the speed of the NHL game. And his skating is not the best...not the worst.

Leddy, I believe, should have QB's the PP some. His shot gets on net (please not that Duns) and is pretty hard. But he still needs to work on his D and be paired with the proper D to prosper. Oduya is not the person to pair him with.

Wasted Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Olsen plays a physical style and will end up more as a defensiv D. He is willing to do what the coaches ask him to do and nothing else.

Not much problem with him going forward. Same upside as he always had - 2nd pairing D

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote