HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Old
07-07-2012, 06:10 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
I think Del Zotto will get the Dubinsky/Callahan/Anisimov/Girardi treatment by getting a 2 year deal with 2.1 mil cap hit. The reason he won't get the Staal treatment is because Staal was in the league for 3 full years before he got his 2nd contract. Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, and Girardi were only in the NHL for about 2 full years give or take.

Looking ahead to next off-season I see Hagelin getting the Dubinsky/Callahan/Girardi/Anisimov treatment and Stepan and McDonagh getting the Staal treatment, because Stepan and McDonagh will have been in the NHL for almost 3 full years.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Erik Johnson got $5.2M as a 2nd contract in 2010. 1 non-arb and 1 arb year. Johnson signed a 4 year contract a few days ago which includes 1 group year which is worth $4.25M. $3.25M. $3.75M. $3.75M. First 3 years. All arbitration years. That is what DZ will get if the Rangers want to re-sign him long-term(longer than 2 years). Same thing goes with Ryan McDonagh is arbitration eligible next July. McD will get big bucks next summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:23 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
I think Del Zotto will get the Dubinsky/Callahan/Anisimov/Girardi treatment by getting a 2 year deal with 2.1 mil cap hit. The reason he won't get the Staal treatment is because Staal was in the league for 3 full years before he got his 2nd contract. Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, and Girardi were only in the NHL for about 2 full years give or take.

Looking ahead to next off-season I see Hagelin getting the Dubinsky/Callahan/Girardi/Anisimov treatment and Stepan and McDonagh getting the Staal treatment, because Stepan and McDonagh will have been in the NHL for almost 3 full years.
Hagelin is arbitration eligible next summer.

Callahan got big bucks in 2009 because he was arbitration eligible.

Hagelin will getting the Callahan treatment from 2009.

McDonagh is also arb eligible next summer.

AA signed early last summer.

Girardi signed his 2nd contract before 07-08 was over.

Dubinsky was the only player who has a contract issue because his agent wanted too much money.

Get your facts straight.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Dubinsky was the only player who has a contract issue because his agent wanted too much money.

Get your facts straight.
LOL. Rangerboy always on top of things when it comes to contracts and CBA rules.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:31 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

Quote:

Get your facts straight.
My only point was I think Del Zotto gets 2 years and McDonagh and Stepan get 3 or more years based on how many seasons they have been in the league. Had nothing to do with arbitration eligibility.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Erik Johnson got $5.2M as a 2nd contract in 2010. 1 non-arb and 1 arb year. Johnson signed a 4 year contract a few days ago which includes 1 group year which is worth $4.25M. $3.25M. $3.75M. $3.75M. First 3 years. All arbitration years. That is what DZ will get if the Rangers want to re-sign him long-term(longer than 2 years). Same thing goes with Ryan McDonagh is arbitration eligible next July. McD will get big bucks next summer.
One of the only players I would love up LONG-term...how long do you think we're lock McD up for? While probably not the Rangers way, I would not hesitate to give him an 8-10 year deal; kid puts on a clinic every night...

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
My only point was I think Del Zotto gets 2 years and McDonagh and Stepan get 3 or more years based on how many seasons they have been in the league. Had nothing to do with arbitration eligibility.
You're oversimplifying Sather's decision-making process if you think that.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Staal got that much money because he put opposing forwards (and good ones at that) on their ass every night. Points is a non-factor. Staal's value to the team was high at that point and therefore he got a contract worthy of it.

MDZ is not on the same level value-wise. He isn't a top-2 or top-4 (barely). He has offense but has other issues at hand. He has hardly any negotiation rights at this point.

The max he gets is $2M~ish.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Staal got that much money because he put opposing forwards (and good ones at that) on their ass every night. Points is a non-factor. Staal's value to the team was high at that point and therefore he got a contract worthy of it.

MDZ is not on the same level value-wise. He isn't a top-2 or top-4 (barely). He has offense but has other issues at hand. He has hardly any negotiation rights at this point.

Disagree. He's definite top 4 material right now.

He'll get at least 2.5

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

Del Zotto played 22:26 a night last year.

He's a top-4 defenseman, no doubt.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:27 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I'd be willing to offer 4 years, $15 million. Same deal that Erik Johnson just got. $3.5M AAV. I would rather lock him up for 4 years then a two year deal. We have Girardi, Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Kreider, Boyle, Pyatt, Rupp, Erixon, Biron, and Asham all coming off the books that year, all of which, besides Asham and Rupp, will likely be resigned. That summer will be just a mess. Avoid any contracts that end after the 2014-15 season, because you will just add to that disaster.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:26 PM
we want the cup 94

Lock him up as long as we could . why..

1. we dont know what the next cba brings

2 it adds to his trade value

3 if we do intend to keep him we dont want him hitting FA status anytime soon

Plus it gives us time between the other guys . with that i say

5 years 17 mill 3.4 cap hit
4 years 13.5 mill 3.3 cap hit
3 years 7.75 mill 2.6
2 years 4.5 mill 2.2

we want the cup 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:26 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Del Zotto played 22:26 a night last year.

He's a top-4 defenseman, no doubt.
THere's a lot of doubt that he's a top four defenseman on this team. I'll take Staal over him 100 times out of 100. McDonagh is obvious. And Del Zotto is awful on right D.

So what it comes down to is what do you want to pay your third pair left defenseman and how long do you keep him? A major part of us not making it further in the playoffs was that MDZ was forced to play so many minutes at RD. We cannot go into next season with him or Stralman penciled in there on the depth chart.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:37 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
THere's a lot of doubt that he's a top four defenseman on this team. I'll take Staal over him 100 times out of 100. McDonagh is obvious. And Del Zotto is awful on right D.

So what it comes down to is what do you want to pay your third pair left defenseman and how long do you keep him? A major part of us not making it further in the playoffs was that MDZ was forced to play so many minutes at RD. We cannot go into next season with him or Stralman penciled in there on the depth chart.
move staal to the right side (i have little doubt that a healthy marc staal with a full training camp can make the switch without a problem) and the problem is solved.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:46 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
I really don't see McDonough getting an 8-10 year deal. The feeling about him is exactly the same feeling everyone had a out Staal when his contract came up. McD will get the status quo...it's just Sather's style...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:47 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
move staal to the right side (i have little doubt that a healthy marc staal with a full training camp can make the switch without a problem) and the problem is solved.
Just because a guy is a fantastic LHD doesn't mean he can change sides no problem...that's just a silly thought.

Anyway, when you have an all-star defenseman why would you screw with his game?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:17 AM
free0717

Id give him a 1-3 year deal or a 5-6 year deal. The 5-6 year deal may cost more now, but keeps MDZ away from UFA status for an extra year or two.

Pretty happy with MDZ as a player. Want to keep him. He is the only true puck mover this team has.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Id give him a 1-3 year deal or a 5-6 year deal. The 5-6 year deal may cost more now, but keeps MDZ away from UFA status for an extra year or two.

Pretty happy with MDZ as a player. Want to keep him. He is the only true puck mover this team has.
So basically anything except a 4-year deal?

Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:38 AM
DekeR

I'm old school, keep the advantage of low balling a player in a cap era, its one of the true advantages a club has before arbitration rights. It's not like MDZ has solidified his skills, there are still areas in his game he needs to improve on and paying a player still in development should go to the club.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
I'm old school, keep the advantage of low balling a player in a cap era, its one of the true advantages a club has before arbitration rights. It's not like MDZ has solidified his skills, there are still areas in his game he needs to improve on and paying a player still in development should go to the club.
While it may be advantageous in the short-run, low-balling a RFA might cause some goodwill issues when the player becomes a UFA.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:55 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Dubinsky had a contract issue because his agent Kurt Overhardt wanted TOO much money. Overhardt wanted $4M per in a long term contract. He wasn't arbitration eligible in 2009. Callahan got more money in 2009 because he was arbitration eligible. Ryan signed his ELC as a 21 year old and needed 3 years pro. Duby signed as a 20 year old and needed 4 years pro.

All of the other players have been signed without much of a fuss. AA got Dubinsky's 2nd contract as his 2nd contract.

Looking at DZ's stats. He is worth in the $2M($2M-2.5M)plus range for 12-13 in non-arb year and worth $3M in his arb year(13-14). The cap hit will be under $3M in a 2 year deal. DZ needs 4 years to be arb eligible. He has 3. Bogosian contract from 2011 and 2nd Johnson contract from 2010. DZ had 41 points in 11-12.

The Rangers had 4 arb cases(Callahan,Dubinsky,Sauer and Boyle)and 1 non-arb case(AA)last summer. They signed all of the players without having a hearing or a holdout. Again,Overhardt was the biggest problem. Jeff Gorton and Overhardt agreed to terms right before the hearing.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:02 AM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck View Post
I'd be willing to offer 4 years, $15 million. Same deal that Erik Johnson just got. $3.5M AAV. I would rather lock him up for 4 years then a two year deal. We have Girardi, Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Kreider, Boyle, Pyatt, Rupp, Erixon, Biron, and Asham all coming off the books that year, all of which, besides Asham and Rupp, will likely be resigned. That summer will be just a mess. Avoid any contracts that end after the 2014-15 season, because you will just add to that disaster.
Low ball him hes not arb eligible 2 yr 3.5-4 mill or 3 years 6-6.5 mill

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
One of the only players I would love up LONG-term...how long do you think we're lock McD up for? While probably not the Rangers way, I would not hesitate to give him an 8-10 year deal; kid puts on a clinic every night...
It may not be possible to give 8-10 year deals in the next CBA. More than likely, McD will get a contract similar, but slightly higher than what Staal got. Figure 4 or 5 years @ 4.5 mil. Staal wasn't arbitration eligible and only gave up 1 UFA year. McD will be arb eligible and will only have 3 years left until UFA. So he'll either get a 2 year deal, or a 4 or 5 year deal. Given his importance to this team, I think Sather will lock him up longer term.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Dubinsky had a contract issue because his agent Kurt Overhardt wanted TOO much money. Overhardt wanted $4M per in a long term contract. He wasn't arbitration eligible in 2009. Callahan got more money in 2009 because he was arbitration eligible. Ryan signed his ELC as a 21 year old and needed 3 years pro. Duby signed as a 20 year old and needed 4 years pro.

All of the other players have been signed without much of a fuss. AA got Dubinsky's 2nd contract as his 2nd contract.

Looking at DZ's stats. He is worth in the $2M($2M-2.5M)plus range for 12-13 in non-arb year and worth $3M in his arb year(13-14). The cap hit will be under $3M in a 2 year deal. DZ needs 4 years to be arb eligible. He has 3. Bogosian contract from 2011 and 2nd Johnson contract from 2010. DZ had 41 points in 11-12.

The Rangers had 4 arb cases(Callahan,Dubinsky,Sauer and Boyle)and 1 non-arb case(AA)last summer. They signed all of the players without having a hearing or a holdout. Again,Overhardt was the biggest problem. Jeff Gorton and Overhardt agreed to terms right before the hearing.
RangerBoy, how do you know if a player is arbitration eligible or not?

Thanks.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
RangerBoy, how do you know if a player is arbitration eligible or not?

Thanks.
player that signs between 18-20 years old needs a minimum of 4 years of service
21 year old needs 3 years
22-23 year old needs 2 years
24+ year old need 1 year

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote