HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XXI - Roberto Royale

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 08:53 PM
EastCoastCanuck

vCash: 500
As a Canucks Fan I see people looking to get "now" players for Vancouver from a Luongo trade. Versteeg would be great but I believe is too essential to Fla right now to be moved without a legit scorer to replace him.

In my opinion Petrovic + Floridas' choice of (Shore/Howden/Bjugstad) + cap dump (Santorelli?) I'd love Theodore as insurance on Schneider but feel FLA could prob get a very good pick (value wise) for him from Tor/Chi and would be better served moving him in a seperate deal.

for

Luongo + some sort of draft pick (not 1st)

is about as fair a deal as we could hope for with the two teams situations. Florida isn't in a position to deal their "now" players like Versteeg. Van could seriously use a d prospect like Petrovic (big and mean) and another center prospect with size would be of value. Is Luongo "worth" more? Depends. Yea I think so, but contract aside, Florida isn't that deep especially with the losses of Garrison/Samuelson.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Colour me naive, but I think any deal to Florida will see a less substantial return than anywhere else.

I think Lu and Gillis have a handshake agreement to try to get Lu to the city he wants to go to and Gillis will do everything he can to accomodate this request, as a thank you for Luongo's years of service to the Nucks and for waiving his NTC.

As long as Gillis doesn't hold out for the moon from Tallon, there is probably a deal there to be had but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is a very low return.

Something like Theodore/2nd/short term cap dump or Theo and a mid level prospect OR second rounder (provided Theo agrees to go).

I just don't see Tallon giving up a 1st or any significant prospect. Not when it is blatantly obvious Lu wants to go there, and really only there.

If someone comes in late (i.e. Toronto or Chicago) and blows Gillis' socks off, maybe GMMG goes back to Luongo to try to convince him to re-think his stance....but for now, I think Gillis is going to do everything he can to get Luongo in Florida. When this trade goes down, and people see the return, I think this will be obvious.
But that is not what Luongo said.....He was on the radio Friday and said he was open to multiple teams. He said his priority was to play in a hockey market. Is Florida a hockey market to you? He said explicitly that he would not mind going to Florida and Chicago. He implicitly expressed he would go to Toronto. I know the news is moving fast and its hard to keep up to date.....I listened to the interview and Luongo sounded quite flexible on where he goes.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:06 PM
ndgt10

Still don't know why Florida wants Luongo. Chicago needs him much more than they do but we all know there is no way Van-Chi are making a deal!

Old
07-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
But that is not what Luongo said.....He was on the radio Friday and said he was open to multiple teams. He said his priority was to play in a hockey market. Is Florida a hockey market to you? He said explicitly that he would not mind going to Florida and Chicago. He implicitly expressed he would go to Toronto. I know the news is moving fast and its hard to keep up to date.....I listened to the interview and Luongo sounded quite flexible on where he goes.
I listened to the interview and read the transcripts, as well. I am not suggesting FLA is the ONLY place he will go. I am saying that it is his first choice and there is a deal to be had there, provided Tallon wants him.

In no way am I suggesting FLA is the only team Luongo is willing to go to. Nowhere in that interview does he reference Toronto, IIRC, and if you listen to the interview and read the transcripts, I think the Chicago reference was more tongue in cheek as he was answering a question about the goal song. (paraphrasing "I like that song. Heard it seven times in one game.") He did, however, say he always liked playing in Chitown.

I don't recall hearing anything about the Leafs or Toronto, but I could be wrong. I did, however, hear him say he loves the hockey markets and the loud crowds every night. If you are implying he would go to Toronto based on the interivew, I agree. I have little doubt he would waive for Toronto or Chicago, but his first choice is Florida, IMO, which is why I suggested Gillis will start there and work backwards.

Again, not suggesting he WOULDN'T go to Chicago or Toronto, but everyone is hanging on to his every word during an impromptu, fun, off-the-cuff morning show interview as gospel. Personally, I think he wants to go to Florida, if Gillis can move him, but is open to other options if Tallon had no interest and/or a deal could not be hammered out.

Last edited by Holy Mackinaw: 07-08-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
I listened to the interview and read the transcripts, as well. I am not suggesting FLA is the ONLY place he will go. I am saying that it is his first choice and there is a deal to be had there, provided Tallon wants him.

In no way am I suggesting FLA is the only team Luongo is willing to go to. Nowhere in that interview does he reference Toronto, IIRC, and if you listen to the interview and read the transcripts, I think the Chicago reference was more tongue in cheek as he was answering a question about the goal song. (paraphrasing "I like that song. Heard it seven times in one game.") He did, however, say he always liked playing in Chitown.

I don't recall hearing anything about the Leafs or Toronto, but I could be wrong. I did, however, hear him say he loves the hockey markets and the loud crowds every night. If you are implying he would go to Toronto based on the interivew, I agree. I have no doubt he would waive for Toronto or Chicago, but his first choice is Florida, IMO, which is why I suggested Gillis will start there and work backwards.

Again, not suggesting he WOULDN'T go to Chicago or Toornto, but everyone is hanging on to his every word during an impromptu, fun, off-the-cuff morning show interview as gospel. Personally, I think he wants to go to Florida, if Gillis can move him, but is open to other options if Tallon had no interest and/or a deal could not be hammered out.
"Not when it is blatantly obvious Lu wants to go there, and really only there"

Just working with what you just said.........not sure what else you were trying to say?

Old
07-08-2012, 09:22 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmplate View Post
With Luongo obviously going to leave now after saying "Its been 6 great years but Its time to move on", after being interviewed on Fox. It pretty much sums it up that Luongo is going to be gone regardless and with Florida being the front runners and Luongo unlikely waiving to go to Toronto, I propose this:

To Vancouver

Shawn Matthias ( C)
Jose Theodore (G)
Quinton Howden (LW)

To Florida

Roberto Luongo (G)
Mason Raymond (LW)

This is the Canucks lineup afterwards (I included a Shane Doan signing which finishes off the lineup)

2012-13 Vancouver Canucks:

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Shawn Matthias ($0.852m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.701m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Jose Theodore ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,497,125; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,702,875

All criticism welcomed.
Theo will not be going to the other way. He would rather retire in Florida than go to Vancouver to be a backup. Theodore made sure to get a NTC to avoid getting traded in a situation like this.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
"Not when it is blatantly obvious Lu wants to go there, and really only there"

Just working with what you just said.........not sure what else you were trying to say?
Sorry. I should have clarified. I mean based on all the chatter around the league in recent hours and days that says Luongo's first choice is Florida. I shouldn't have said "really only there." I mean as a first choice and if a deal can't be reached, there are other teams he would waive for.

Start with Florida, to see if a deal can be made. If not, move to his second and third choices, as more of a courtesy to Lu than anything.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
It's been stated before, but it's unlikely that Upshall is moved considering the NMC. Jovo is the only realistic roster player I see coming back in trade. The other half will be prospects/picks.
It's more likely that Upshall gets moved than it is that Vancouver actually wants Old Man Jovo.

Quote:
Upshall has a NMC which Tallon signed him to last year. He was then injured much of the season. How do you think it sounds to future players wanting sign in Florida when the GM gives a player a multi year NMC and then moves(gives up on) him the next year after injury?

Jovo has been liked in Florida. Van already has 4 left side dmen in their top 6. No space for Jovo. Bad fit......

Santorelli can be sent for a dump and makes sense because he was just waived last week.
Jovo has not exactly been 'liked' in Florida. The Jovo-Gudbranson pairing last season was terrible, usually either because of rookie mistakes or old man mistakes.

Jovo is also on an old man contract. Nobody wants to touch that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather trade Jovo than Upshall, but something tells me if there's some money going the other way it's not Jovo and that really only leaves Kulikov, Versteeg, and Upshall. Meaning... Upshall.

The teams just don't make great trading partners. Anyways though... in regards to everyone saying stuff like Versteeg, etc., it's not happening. The Panthers don't NEED Luongo. The Canucks want rid of him. Yeah, he's an impact player. But he has a big ol' contract that most teams don't want to touch. If he's being moved to Florida, it only adds up that he's at an ultimate buyer's price right now. Versteeg... no. Kulikov... no. Huberdeau/Howden... no. Bjugstad... no. You all laugh at the idea that Shore for Luongo straight up and while it's by no means accurate, it's way more accurate than asking for high end Panthers.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
It's more likely that Upshall gets moved than it is that Vancouver actually wants Old Man Jovo.

Jovo has not exactly been 'liked' in Florida. The Jovo-Gudbranson pairing last season was terrible, usually either because of rookie mistakes or old man mistakes.

Jovo is also on an old man contract. Nobody wants to touch that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather trade Jovo than Upshall, but something tells me if there's some money going the other way it's not Jovo and that really only leaves Kulikov, Versteeg, and Upshall. Meaning... Upshall.

The teams just don't make great trading partners. Anyways though... in regards to everyone saying stuff like Versteeg, etc., it's not happening. The Panthers don't NEED Luongo. The Canucks want rid of him. Yeah, he's an impact player. But he has a big ol' contract that most teams don't want to touch. If he's being moved to Florida, it only adds up that he's at an ultimate buyer's price right now. Versteeg... no. Kulikov... no. Huberdeau/Howden... no. Bjugstad... no. You all laugh at the idea that Shore for Luongo straight up and while it's by no means accurate, it's way more accurate than asking for high end Panthers.
Its hard to predict trades. Sometimes using different cues other then need helps tell the story. Your story does not make sense in regards to financials and NMC. Upshall has a NMC and as I said in previous reply, it will make Florida look bad to future free agents if they ask a guy a year after he signs his NMC to be traded. Jovo just does not fit. Maybe if he was right handed, but he is not. Van have 4 lefties in their top 6 already. In regards to financials Versteeg+Luongo would add 11+mil of extra salary. Then still need to sign Kulikov. This easily puts Panthers over 60mil. I doubt that their internal budget can afford it. Whether or not me or you think Florida should get Luongo does not matter. There is interest. This means Tallon has a plan for his budget with Luo. Due to upcoming prospect Versteeg seems like an expensive piece for his future role.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabovski(replaces Kesler as 2nd line center and then no need to salary dump on Nucks)
MacArthur(top 6 winger)
Scrivens(some goalie depth)
Colborne(replaces Hodgson as center prospect)

Old
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
AmazingNuck

^ lol no. Kesler isn't going anywhere.

Don't like the idea of Versteeg coming back. He has more value and might contribute more to the roster, but meh.. he's tiny. The Canucks need to get bigger.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:40 PM
excape

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabovski(replaces Kesler as 2nd line center and then no need to salary dump on Nucks)
MacArthur(top 6 winger)
That is absolutely horrible.

Old
ziploc

Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

MacArthur(top 6 winger)
Nope. Nopity nope nope nopersens with extra nope sauce. Keep your eyes off Kesler.

Old
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Kesler + Luongo

for

Grabovski(replaces Kesler as 2nd line center and then no need to salary dump on Nucks) + MacArthur(top 6 winger) + Scrivens(some goalie depth) + Colborne(replaces Hodgson as center prospect)
Not even if you added Kessel. We replace Kesler for a lesser, and more expensive, player, and we get a package of players we don't need (Mac is a tweener, we have tons of them, Scrivens would be fighting with Lack, Schneider and possibly guys down the pipeline like Cannata and Colborne is nice...but doesn't make up for the rest).

Drop Kesler and Grabovski and that is the low end of what most Leafs fans are offering now, no thank you.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Grabovski(replaces Kesler as 2nd line center) + MacArthur(top 6 winger) + Scrivens(some goalie depth) + Colborne(replaces Hodgson as center prospect)

For

Kesler + Luongo
Big NO from Vancouver. I wouldn't trade Kesler alone for that package let alone Luongo too. What incentive does Vancouver have to do this?

Kesler is way more valuable to this team than Grabovski. MacArthur wouldn't fit in our top six, especially if the rumors of Vancouver landing Doan or Semin are true. Scrivens and Colborne are good prospects but probably won't contribute to our roster. We are in win now mode.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Not even if you added Kessel. We replace Kesler for a lesser, and more expensive, player, and we get a package of players we don't need (Mac is a tweener, we have tons of them, Scrivens would be fighting with Lack, Schneider and possibly guys down the pipeline like Cannata and Colborne is nice...but doesn't make up for the rest).

Drop Kesler and Grabovski and that is the low end of what most Leafs fans are offering now, no thank you.
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer

Obviously better deal, Leafs probably wont do it, but would Vancouver take something like this?

Old
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Kesler + Luongo

for

Grabovski(replaces Kesler as 2nd line center and then no need to salary dump on Nucks) + MacArthur(top 6 winger) + Scrivens(some goalie depth) + Colborne(replaces Hodgson as center prospect)
Can you honestly say that if the rosters of both teams were switched, that you would be willing to trade Kesler with Luongo for those players?

I don't want to dump on the player from TO, but none of them play at the same level as Kesler and Luongo, and I know it's popular to crap on Luongo's contract, but Selke winner Kesler is signed for a freakishly good deal.

How can TO expect to get both those players by giving up one decent guy with a high end contract in Grabovski, and depth?

Personally, I've been hoping that the Leafs get back to being a solid team for years now, but reading some of these comments make it pretty hard to support your fan base.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:45 PM
excape

Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer

Obviously better deal, Leafs probably wont do it, but would Vancouver take something like this?
Once again, not even close from Vancouver's side.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer
No closer mate. You need a considerable player coming our way to make it worth while. Even Kessel straight won't get you Kesler. I know Burke paid a premium for him, but Kesler has tied (or beaten...I think tied) his career high in goals, plays a more valuable position, and has a Selke. You'd have to overpay to the point of crippling your team now and in the future, and probably throw in the 1967 cup as well.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer

Still no. Kesler would need absurd overpayment to go your way(kessel+ grab).
Otherwise we don't consider it.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:46 PM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer

rofl...really? Van hangs up the phone laughing.
Kesler's underrated

Old
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer

No, but the Leafs would take it and celebrate by dancing naked in the streets. And we don't want to see that from Burke. So let's all pray that Gillis doesn't get hit with a brick or something and agree to any of these terrible proposals.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer

No. The only player they should have interest in moving is Luongo. The Canucks have the right mixture of players (almost), to take another run at a cup. Removing Kesler from the team to make Toronto better doesn't make sense from the Canucks end of things.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
cleverusername

Quote:
Kesler
Luongo

for

Grabs
Lupul
Colborne
Reimer

Old
07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
No closer mate. You need a considerable player coming our way to make it worth while. Even Kessel straight won't get you Kesler. I know Burke paid a premium for him, but Kesler has tied (or beaten...I think tied) his career high in goals, plays a more valuable position, and has a Selke. You'd have to overpay to the point of crippling your team now and in the future, and probably throw in the 1967 cup as well.
LOL ,too rich for my blood, I wouldn't mind putting a little extra in for Luongo if we could trade for Kesler too, but if its costing us anything more, I don't think Leafs are in a position to be selling off young assets yet. We are a bottom 5 team, not a contender.

Closed Thread