HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

[OTT/CBJ] Nick Foligno for Marc Methot Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2012, 09:28 PM
  #126
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
I'm sorry but there is really not THAT much talent in scoring a GWG. Yes, it proves a guy can be clutch and in most cases it is the elite players that end up the leaders in the category, but I really think in Foligno's case last season was all about timing. He seemed to be in the right place and the right time way too often and a lot of it seemed to be when our top line was getting a rest. I really doubt he does that again.....
Yeah you're right... Im sure he will never be in the right place at the right time ever again... Im sure his destiny is just to cause goals against and take Goaltender Interference penalty from now till the end of his career... Poor guy

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
  #127
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Yeah you're right... Im sure he will never be in the right place at the right time ever again... Im sure his destiny is just to cause goals against and take Goaltender Interference penalty from now till the end of his career... Poor guy
He DID take an odd number of goalie interference penalties. Thanks for pointing that out.

Look, his game is definitely coming together and we saw some flashes of consistency last season but he just strikes me as one of those guys who will always battle inconsistency and be missing then necessary tools to permanently stay in a top 6 role. Like so many fans have already said, he is replaceable and I think Silfverberg or Latendresse (whichever one doesn't make the top 6) can actually match or out produce what Foligno did.

Oh and one stat that needs to be brought up here cause I've yet to see it......between January and March he had 3 goals over a 35 game span. That stat kinda just screams expendable.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:42 PM
  #128
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Cant be that bad of a goalscorer to have more GWG than Spezza, Kopitar, Nash, Jagr, Turris, Semin, Lucic, Kesler, Richards, Ennis, Havlat and equal to St. Louis, Eriksson, Parise, Ovechkin, Ryan, Heatley, Crosby, etc.
I would take each and every one of those players over Foligno, except Heatley for obvious reasons. His name doesnt belong in the same breath as those guys. Give it up. He's gone. We didnt lose the talent of a Spezza or Kopitar or Richards or Parise or Ovechkin or Crosby. Murray traded away Nick ****ing Foligno in exchange for a piece the Sens back end desperately needs. That piece is in his prime. And he's affordable. And he's local. And Murray only had to give up Nick ****ing Foligno!!!!!!!!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:53 PM
  #129
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,208
vCash: 500
I just looked up how many GWG Foligno actually had this past season. 3. Three. 3!
Jesus....
Bobby Butler had more than him, so whatever....

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:05 PM
  #130
Kush
Registered User
 
Kush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Wish we resigned Volchie a year ago...
$4M for the utlimate shutdown D doesn't sound that bad now...
As much as I love Volchenkov, after watching the Devils in the playoffs, the dude simply can't skate. He's too slow and would be a liability in Paulrus' system. Pass.

Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:50 PM
  #131
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
Only 3 GWG? So what was all that hot garbage about Foligno having more GWG than all those star players? That's pretty funny stuff...

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
  #132
Romans12_12
Registered User
 
Romans12_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hayden, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
I am in disbelief that this thread is still going strong.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:44 PM
  #133
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
I am in disbelief that this thread is still going strong.
The thread for the Turris trade was even worse, but everyone shut up after his 2nd game. I think it'll be the same for this one.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
  #134
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,287
vCash: 50
Methot will thrive HUGE in MacLean's system. This will be an amazing trade for us. Watch out.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
  #135
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?
 
Kickabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
The thread for the Turris trade was even worse, but everyone shut up after his 2nd game. I think it'll be the same for this one.
WTF! You mean we can expect another 3 months of this!

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:05 AM
  #136
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
WTF! You mean we can expect another 3 months of this!
Maybe not three more months of this thread going strong, but yes. It will be the same type of discussions in other thread.

After two days of letting this trade sink in, I finally realized who we lost: Nick Foligno. It's really not a big deal, because we filled a hole in the team that we needed. We also have Latendresse, and one or two of Silf, Stone and Zibby to make up for what we lost. I'm not saying that any of these players will step in and make up for it, but I think we'll definitely have a deeper team.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:08 AM
  #137
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Maybe not three more months of this thread going strong, but yes. It will be the same type of discussions in other thread.

After two days of letting this trade sink in, I finally realized who we lost: Nick Foligno. It's really not a big deal, because we filled a hole in the team that we needed. We also have Latendresse, and one or two of Silf, Stone and Zibby to make up for what we lost. I'm not saying that any of these players will step in and make up for it, but I think we'll definitely have a deeper team.
Make up for what? 15 goals, a bit of grit and a lot of bad/questionable penalties for 3+ million?

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
  #138
2Cowen
Registered User
 
2Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Maybe not three more months of this thread going strong, but yes. It will be the same type of discussions in other thread.

After two days of letting this trade sink in, I finally realized who we lost: Nick Foligno. It's really not a big deal, because we filled a hole in the team that we needed. We also have Latendresse, and one or two of Silf, Stone and Zibby to make up for what we lost. I'm not saying that any of these players will step in and make up for it, but I think we'll definitely have a deeper team.
I am pretty damn confident think that the combination of Latendresse, Silf/Stone/Zibby will make up for Folignos 15 goals and 47 points.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
  #139
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons
 
Ghost in the Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 9,019
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Methot will thrive HUGE in MacLean's system. This will be an amazing trade for us. Watch out.
You say that about every move and every prospect.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:36 AM
  #140
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
I am pretty damn confident think that the combination of Latendresse, Silf/Stone/Zibby will make up for Folignos 15 goals and 47 points.
Not that I disagree, but if it takes a combination of those 4 to make up Foligno's 47 pts, you have to also make up the pts of any other players those guys replace, be it some combination of Butler, Condra, O'brien, and Konopka or what ever. So assuming Condra (the most productive of them) is also replaced, we'd need two of Latendresse, Silf/Stone/Zibby to get 72pts or 36 each. Seems reasonably plausable.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
  #141
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,456
vCash: 500
I was just at Sports Experts at Bayshore, they had Foligno Sens jerseys on sale 70% off (or, for those of you not inclined to do the math, that would be $60 each).

Anyone in denial about the trade can get a sweet deal if they act fast. I think they had ~6 or 7 left. A few heritage jerseys, and the rest were the home reds.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
  #142
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I was just at Sports Experts at Bayshore, they had Foligno Sens jerseys on sale 70% off (or, for those of you not inclined to do the math, that would be $60 each).

Anyone in denial about the trade can get a sweet deal if they act fast. I think they had ~6 or 7 left. A few heritage jerseys, and the rest were the home reds.
Dont think anyone will be #71 for a while, Im going to pass.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
  #143
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
You say that about every move and every prospect.
Seriously qft, try to use just a little less hyperbole about every Sens move being 'amazing' and we might be able to take you seriously.

The Expert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
  #144
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
The thread for the Turris trade was even worse, but everyone shut up after his 2nd game. I think it'll be the same for this one.
Most of the posts in this thread are just people complaining about the existence of the thread.

WTF else is there to talk about? Whether or not Andre Benoit really signed or not?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:59 PM
  #145
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,640
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Most of the posts in this thread are just people complaining about the existence of the thread.

WTF else is there to talk about? Whether or not Andre Benoit really signed or not?
Benoit didn't sign with us to play hockey, he signed with us because the Russians converted him into a sleeper agent and he needed a cover. He's just waiting for the moment to strike against those who have ruined the reputations of Russian star talents Filatov, Radulov, Semin, and Kovalev.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
  #146
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
I could definitely see some Foligno jerseys being bought as he was quickly becoming a fan favourite and I'm sure he'll still have some fans following him on Columbus. Would be far more sales at that price than when they got rid of Kovalev, Leclaire and Cheechoo jerseys on clearance. Another options is to buy the jersey at that price and than just pay 30 bucks or so to get the name removed.

But I'll pass of course.....still gotta get Alfie on my red to go with Spezza and Karlsson

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:28 PM
  #147
PemIceKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
I would take each and every one of those players over Foligno, except Heatley for obvious reasons. His name doesnt belong in the same breath as those guys. Give it up. He's gone. We didnt lose the talent of a Spezza or Kopitar or Richards or Parise or Ovechkin or Crosby. Murray traded away Nick ****ing Foligno in exchange for a piece the Sens back end desperately needs. That piece is in his prime. And he's affordable. And he's local. And Murray only had to give up Nick ****ing Foligno!!!!!!!!
You would think they could have gotten a little sweeter deal for Foligo though?

PemIceKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:49 AM
  #148
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PemIceKing View Post
You would think they could have gotten a little sweeter deal for Foligo though?
Would you have been happier if he netted us Volchenkov or Boychuk?

PlayerGP G A Pts(/gm)TOI/gmHits(/gm)BkS(/gm) TkA +/-Corsi Rel QOC
Volchenkov722911(0.152)17:58177(2.46)125(1.74)14(0.194)3.238
Boychuk775 10 15 (0.195)20:36145(1.88)133(1.73)8(0.104)+27.896
Methot46167 (0.152)20:03106(2.30)52(1.13)10(0.217)-11.920

I think a lot of the disapointment with this deal stems from people really not knowing anything about Methot; btw, I'm not saying he is just like Volchenkov and Boychuk or even the same value, just that he is an unknown compared to them while playing in far worse circumstances.


Last edited by Micklebot: 07-11-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
  #149
Zillaege
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
I think its important to note that it's exceptionally hard for a defensive defenceman to look good on a bad team. A scorer can still get his name on the scoresheet, but a defensive defenceman who isn't properly insulated with skilled teammates will spend an inordinate amount of time hemmed into his own zone. It's similar to how Volchenkov and Phillips looked in 08-09 under Hartsburg, when we couldn't break out of our zone to save our lives. Any player, no matter how good defensively, will eventually make a poor decision and look stupid if the other team is testing him over and over again.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:51 PM
  #150
OgieO
Registered User
 
OgieO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Would you have been happier if he netted us Volchenkov or Boychuk?

PlayerGP G A Pts(/gm)TOI/gmHits(/gm)BkS(/gm) TkA +/-Corsi Rel QOC
Volchenkov722911(0.152)17:58177(2.46)125(1.74)14(0.194)3.238
Boychuk775 10 15 (0.195)20:36145(1.88)133(1.73)8(0.104)+27.896
Methot46167 (0.152)20:03106(2.30)52(1.13)10(0.217)-11.920

I think a lot of the disapointment with this deal stems from people really not knowing anything about Methot; btw, I'm not saying he is just like Volchenkov and Boychuk or even the same value, just that he is an unknown compared to them while playing in far worse circumstances.
Hey, thanks for the info. I've really enjoyed your contributions to the board.

One stat I found interesting regarding Methot was his teams sv% while he was on the ice. It was very good (.922 I think) in comparison to the rest if his team. Now, part of that is likely due to not being matched up against opponents top lines but I'm willing to bet part of it is because Methot is effective at limiting great scoring chances when on the ice.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.