HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency - Part Elf: May the Shea Be With Us

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod1986 View Post
I like it but Semin is a right handed shot...he should be on the right side...Maybe I just can't take the option of Doan seriously...as much as I want to...PS Martin will get a shot at redemption...but not with 1st unit minutes
No he should be on the left side just like Neal is a lefty on the right side. He's a shooter so you have Sid fly up the ice and find Semin for one timers on his offside.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:14 AM
cassius

Yeah - I would be hesitant to break up a line that did the following:

(1) delivered tons of key wins down the stretch
(2) turned James Neal into a 40 goal scorer
(3) revitalized Malkin's career and firmly supplanted his reputation as the best player in the league.

That is just me though..

Knowing Dan Bylsma tendencies, Craig Adams will probably be centering Malkin to kick off the 2012-2013 season.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Saku11

As funny as the fight was people dont get that he actually beat up Marc Staal in a fight. Semin could provide some protection for Sid too

Old
07-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
I am not sure where people are getting their info on Doan but he hasn't said he would only play out west, according to Post Gazette quote from his agent he is "interested" in Pittsburgh. As to him being "preachy" I have never heard that and he isn't a Kurt Warner type thanking God after every win in an interview.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-stars-644052/
That doesn't mean anything to me. One little quote saying he's interested from the agent holds little weight. He could say that about nearly every decent team. Time will tell.

Also, enough with the God discussion. It's not relevant to anything.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
does the Semin rumor just keep recycling itself from the the orignal source?
That's my assumption. And round and round it goes.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I live right outside DC and I've watched a ton of Caps games...Semin is a lot better playing LW than RW. It's his natural position. Boudreau shifted him to the RW in 2010 (I think) when he played with Backstrom and OV and after that he never left the RW.

His big seasons were on the LW.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:29 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
That doesn't mean anything to me. One little quote saying he's interested from the agent holds little weight. He could say that about nearly every decent team. Time will tell.

Also, enough with the God discussion. It's not relevant to anything.
One little quote might not "mean anything" to you but have you seen any quotes of him, or his agent, saying he was only considering western teams? I haven't. As to the god thing, I agree, I am not sure why people even brought that up.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Unless Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov confirms it, assume it's false.

He is the go-to guy from everything Russian in the NHL.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
One little quote might not "mean anything" to you but have you seen any quotes of him, or his agent, saying he was only considering western teams? I haven't. As to the god thing, I agree, I am not sure why people even brought that up.
His agent has said he is interested in them for about 8 or 9 teams at least via twitter. They are all on the main board in the Doan thread. He apparently said it about any team that is showing interest. Don't read too much into it. I doubt very much he comes to Pittsburgh, would love it though.

Last edited by nwpensfan: 07-10-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Correct reference to correct player!
Old
07-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
As funny as the fight was people dont get that he actually beat up Marc Staal in a fight. Semin could provide some protection for Sid too
Haha, everytime I hear people make fun of Semin for that fight I say that he actually beat up Staal.

Haven't read through this thread at all so sorry if I bring something up, but as a Cap fan I want to know how you Penguin fans feel about Semin maybe coming to Pittsburgh? You guys have seen a lot of him over the years in reg. season and playoffs. I wish the Caps would re-sign him, but considering how hes always a scapegoat for all the problems, how hes a supposed cancer, I feel like he will get the last laugh and go and sign with a big time rival. It sucks, I mean, I hate your team (), no offense but Sasha is one of my favorites. If he does sign with you guys, well, enjoy him.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I do find it a bit funny some people are giddy about potentially signing Semin. For the record I'm for it because of his skill level but...I've seen how lazy he can be. At times he killed the Caps with his apathetic play. I hope if the Pens sign him he comes in pissed off and looking to prove people wrong. I will say his skill level is probably top ten in the NHL and I'd bet his wrist shot is the hardest in the NHL (yes over Kovalchuck).

I'm hoping for the best, it would really help troll my coworkers who are bandwagon Cap fans.

True Story: Semin once played in the Fairfax Ice Arena C league, there is team of Russians at that rink (or was at the time) and he suited up for a game during the lockout.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
SidGenoMario

Wasn't the rumor just on an obscure Russian tabloid site? I'd try to not get your hopes up.

Although mine certainly are.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
Haha, everytime I hear people make fun of Semin for that fight I say that he actually beat up Staal.

Haven't read through this thread at all so sorry if I bring something up, but as a Cap fan I want to know how you Penguin fans feel about Semin maybe coming to Pittsburgh? You guys have seen a lot of him over the years in reg. season and playoffs. I wish the Caps would re-sign him, but considering how hes always a scapegoat for all the problems, how hes a supposed cancer, I feel like he will get the last laugh and go and sign with a big time rival. It sucks, I mean, I hate your team (), no offense but Sasha is one of my favorites. If he does sign with you guys, well, enjoy him.
My pov is Semin>Dupuis, Kennedy or whoever else Bylsma puts on Sid's wing.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
His agent has said he is interested in them for about 8 or 9 teams at least via twitter. They are all on the main board in the Semin thresd. He apparently said it about any team that is showing interest. Don't read too much into it. I doubt very much he comes to Pittsburgh, would love it though.
We were talking about Doan but either way it applies to this situation.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
KIRK

Just a couple of added thoughts on the whole Semin thing:

1. Some people have worried about Semin having a bad influence on Malkin. Ever consider that Malkin might have a good influence (as opposed to the influences a follower like Semin had in Washington) on Semin and what the payoff from something like that would be?

2. Thinking about it, the **** people say about Semin, isn't that the same **** people were saying about Geno five years ago or a guy like Kovalchuk as recently as two or three years ago?

3. I'm in the camp that saw a light switch go 'on' for Semin in the playoffs this year. He played like a guy who finally 'got it'. All the **** people were saying he wouldn't do . . . he was doing it. You know, Sid 'got it' right away. Geno needed a couple of years. Other guys, no matter the nationality, sometimes need even longer. Personally, I think Semin got there in the playoffs, and if you put him on an organization like the Pens, with influences like Sid and Geno, he'll prove it (if for no other reason than I'm sure he'd love to shove a proverbial middle finger in the xenophobic Canadian media's collective face).

4. I'm with JTG on what happens IF the Pens sign Semin. It's probably Semin with Malkin and Neal with Sid in the end. If the Pens, against the odds, signed Doan, a guy who one might worry about having the foot speed to play with Sid, a Semin-Malkin-Doan line would be sick. If the Pens traded for Malone, then I could see Malone-Malkin-Neal, with Semin playing RW with Sid and Kunitz (although I also could see Semin-Malkin-Malone, as Malone has played some RW in TB). If they traded for Stewart, I suspect you'd see tandems of Semin-Stewart and Kunitz-Neal and Bylsma would experiment a little to see which combo works best with Sid and Geno to maximize impact. That said, IF the Pens sign Semin, then they need to add a physical top six guy like a Doan or a Malone or a Stewart.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
I do find it a bit funny some people are giddy about potentially signing Semin. For the record I'm for it because of his skill level but...I've seen how lazy he can be. At times he killed the Caps with his apathetic play. I hope if the Pens sign him he comes in pissed off and looking to prove people wrong. I will say his skill level is probably top ten in the NHL and I'd bet his wrist shot is the hardest in the NHL (yes over Kovalchuck).

I'm hoping for the best, it would really help troll my coworkers who are bandwagon Cap fans.

True Story: Semin once played in the Fairfax Ice Arena C league, there is team of Russians at that rink (or was at the time) and he suited up for a game during the lockout.
Did he backcheck?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
We were talking about Doan but either way it applies to this situation.
That is who I was referring to as well. Typed in Semin by mistake!!

Old
07-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
That is who I was referring to as well. should have made that clear!!
Oh my bad. I just saw "Semin thread" and assumed you meant Semin. Okay so we agree that Doan's agent is just paying lip service to many teams.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:04 AM
KIRK

Quote:
His agent has said he is interested in them for about 8 or 9 teams at least via twitter. They are all on the main board in the Semin thresd. He apparently said it about any team that is showing interest. Don't read too much into it. I doubt very much he comes to Pittsburgh, would love it though.
I'm starting to wonder if coming to Pittsburgh would make perfect sense. We now know that the CKSA offer is 2 years, 6.7M per, not 3 years, 10M per. So, if he finds a deal for 5M in the NHL, then it's not like he's leaving three times the net income on the table.

Now, here's the question: If Semin, a guy who's shown that he can rack up numbers, is that willing to take less to be in the NHL, then why is it? IMO, he feels like a guy with something to prove. What does he have to prove? That he has 'heart' . . .

So, where, among teams that have been mentioned as potential suitors, can he go to prove that (and make money and rack up stats), such that he might be able to get one big deal in a year or two or three? IMO, it's Pittsburgh or Detroit (maybe NJ, but the profile isn't there). And, in terms of profile, I'd say Pittsburgh > Detroit right now.

Old
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Did he backcheck?
you don't have to backcheck when you have the puck

Old
nwpensfan

Quote:
Oh my bad. I just saw "Semin thread" and assumed you meant Semin. Okay so we agree that Doan's agent is just paying lip service to many teams.
Totally my bad, thanks for catching it for me!! I lived in AZ for a while and I truly believe the reports he wants to stay close in the west. The agent is just trying to drive up the price IMO.

edit: Typed in Semin by mistake. I have corrected it. Thanks again.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:05 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Did he backcheck?
Did you watch the playoffs this year?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Just a couple of added thoughts on the whole Semin thing:

1. Some people have worried about Semin having a bad influence on Malkin. Ever consider that Malkin might have a good influence (as opposed to the influences a follower like Semin had in Washington) on Semin and what the payoff from something like that would be?

I think you are right on all accounts. Geno has shown a tremendous character imo and I do think he would be a positive influence and I highly doubt anyone could rub off on him in a negative way. Homer glasses /off

Old
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Here's a scenario where we sign Semin & Doan to a combined $10M.

FORWARDS
Alexander Semin ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Tanner Glass ($1.100m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,873,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $326,667
More like:

Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Tanner Glass ($1.100m)

Old
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post

That would be the main incentive, really, for him to sign with the Pens, and I think Ray Shero is banking on that.

One thing I'd love to know is if Geno has played any role in this, either as someone talking to Semin or as someone Shero is asking for his impressions.

Closed Thread