HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency - Part Elf: May the Shea Be With Us

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 10:01 AM
AgentM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
He broke Suter and Parise going to the Wild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulgarTurtle View Post
He is the one who broke the Parise signing. Or atleast that's what someone on the trade board said.
Okay, so if this guy does have some connections then that's a little beacon of hope that Semin could come here

I wonder in what way Semin's demands would have to come down. I'm guessing it's more about term than salary since we have the cap space for the next two seasons.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:05 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Koltsov View Post
I really don't see him taking less to play with the Pens. He'll be in the KHL next season raking in the rubles.
Could he have really been in any doubt that the biggest money offer would come from the KHL though? Even weeks ago?

Three possible scenarios:
1) He wants to stay in the NHL, but takes the biggest/longest NHL offer. No idea where that would land him. Buffalo was being pushed by some tweets. Can't really imagine him there.
2) He wants money money money, he goes to the KHL.
3) He has something left to prove, then he'll end up in PIT or DET for two years (or outside chance of staying in WSH, I guess) and switches to making even bigger money in the KHL in 2014.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
This is so far from the truth. They need a top six winger, but that's not to say for Sids wing either. They'll take what is available and who's willing to come here, but that isn't a guarantee that that winger will be his. Unless it's an upgrade over who he's comfortable with now that he'll stick with Kunitz/Dupuis.

Just because the Kunitz, Malkin, Neal line worked last season doesn't mean you totally uproot Sids comfort zone to appease Malkins. I have said before that Geno is the one who needs guys to produce at a top level and guys like Semin, Kostitsyn will keep his line going as the third wheel and you keep Sids comfort level the same he has torn the league up with. There's literally no reason to mess with what chemistry he has with them unless he say's otherwise. The third wheel on Geno's line is a bit less to worry about if you're adding decent guys like that.

I'm not comfortable going all rookie front on the defense, and if that's the case, we are realistically on a bigger window to win a championship. IMHO
If we get Semin, there is no way he plays on the same line as Neal. Semin with Geno and Neal would be a huge waste. Not happening. One of them will be with Sid, the other with Geno. My guess is that would change a few times throughout the year.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:08 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
I think if he wanted to be in the KHL he already would have. Radulov got over 9 mil a season and im sure that Semin could have got 7+. Thats un taxed money as well. He knows theres no way he is going to make as much money in the NHL and still hasnt signed in the KHL.

I think hes trying to parlay the talk from the KHL into the absolute best value he can get in the NHL before signing somewhere. At this point I think he likes being in the states more than the prospect of living year round in Russia when he can just go there in the summer.

That said if NHL team A sucks and is destined for being in the bottom 5 for the next 5 years like say a Columbus offers him even a dollar more than a team that is positioned to make a run at the cup every year I think he doesnt leave any money on the table and chooses Columbus.

Semin I almost expect to try and get an offer from a ****** team who will miss the playoffs just so that he wont miss any games for Russia at the world championships.
Or does he take a 1/2 year deal from a team like the Pens to try and blow up his stats and then sign a nice 5 or 6 year deal to finish out his career on a bottom feeder?

Quote:
This is so far from the truth. They need a top six winger, but that's not to say for Sids wing either. They'll take what is available and who's willing to come here, but that isn't a guarantee that that winger will be his. Unless it's an upgrade over who he's comfortable with now that he'll stick with Kunitz/Dupuis.

Just because the Kunitz, Malkin, Neal line worked last season doesn't mean you totally uproot Sids comfort zone to appease Malkins. I have said before that Geno is the one who needs guys to produce at a top level and guys like Semin, Kostitsyn will keep his line going as the third wheel and you keep Sids comfort level the same he has torn the league up with. There's literally no reason to mess with what chemistry he has with them unless he say's otherwise. The third wheel on Geno's line is a bit less to worry about if you're adding decent guys like that.

I'm not comfortable going all rookie front on the defense, and if that's the case, we are realistically on a bigger window to win a championship. IMHO
Wait, are you saying that if we sign Semin that we should give him to Malkin and Neal to be the 3rd wheel? There is no way Bylsma could shaft Sid like that. If the Russian factor clouds Bylsma's judgement that much then give Kunitz and Semin to Geno and give Neal and Dupuis to Sid. Not that it really matters though because the lines will change a lot during the season, regardless of who we have on the roster. The only way that Geno and Neal were 100% going to stay together all season was if Parise had come here to play with Sid IMO.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Konstantin Koltsov

I don't think Semin ends up here, but if he does, him and Neal on the same line makes no sense.

Edit: What Ogre said.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:20 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

If we could acquire Semin AND someone like Malone, I'd be ecstatic. Our lines would be lethal, with all the parts you need.

Kunitz - Sid - Semin/Neal
Malone - Geno - Semin/Neal

Both lines have the best players in the world on them, a big body that will dig pucks out of the corners and create havoc in front of the net, and a 40 goal sniper. It would be awesome to watch.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
If we could acquire Semin AND someone like Malone, I'd be ecstatic. Our lines would be lethal, with all the parts you need.

Both lines have the best players in the world on them, a big body that will dig pucks out of the corners and create havoc in front of the net, and a 40 goal sniper. It would be awesome to watch.

Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Tangradi-Vitale-Glass

as the bottom 6 is very solid too.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:24 AM
redsono93

Quote:

That would be pretty sick for sure and so balanced. What would Tampa want for Malone? If not Malone who else could we go after that plays like him?

Old
07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Tangradi-Vitale-Glass

okay, this is the 2nd time I've seen the Keen gif used on this board... do we have SC2 fans here?!?

Old
07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
That would be pretty sick for sure and so balanced. What would Tampa want for Malone? If not Malone who else could we go after that plays like him?
Ya I don't know what they need. They just brought in Carle and Salo, so not Martin anymore. I don't know they they'll be looking to move him now that they have a decent defense. He's still probably their 4th or 5th best forward. I honestly don't know most of their bottom 6 forwards to know if they need guys like Cooke or TK.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
okay, this is the 2nd time I've seen the Keen gif used on this board... do we have SC2 fans here?!?
I stole it from someone else on this board. I play SC2 on occasion, but I'm bad at it and don't follow any of the competitions.

I loved the first one. If I was still in high school, I'm sure I'd love the second.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:32 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:

not to mention Dupuis as a third liner.
Glass-Sutter-Dupuis... yea, being able to put Dupper on the third makes us dangerous.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Glass-Sutter-Dupuis... yea, being able to put Dupper on the third makes us dangerous.
Glass is clearly a 4th liner for us, but otherwise agreed. Super Duper will help make up for some of the downgrade from Staal to Sutter.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Jag68Sid87

Ryan Malone isn't what we need right now. We have Eric Tangradi. Let him play.

We need a winger for Sid, BUT more importantly we need to find someone to play next to Letang on our first pairing...which this coming season is going to be the shutdown pairing, the top offensive pairing, the top minutes pairing...everything.

If Paul Martin plays there, we're *&^%$#. If we can't get a Weber or a solid stay-at-home type to play with Letang, we might as well have open competition in training camp to see who fits best next to Letang...Despres, Strait, Dumoulin et al.

We can't panic right now. Panic is how you wind up with Wade Redden's contract. We need to focus on those players who can really help us...or retreat a little and see what we have in all of these young defensemen in the organization.

The winger for Line 1 is another matter, since we don't exactly have young organizational types oozing everywhere. We have a few, but I doubt a guy like Bennett would be ready for something like that. So, we're going to have to try another reclamation project in all likelihood.

I think it's time to ease the expectation level for 2012-13 a little.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:39 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

They could use TK to replace Bergenheim. Granted, SB is better than TK, but Shero could convince them. Add a prospect and we might be able to have a starting ground.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

We need a winger for Sid, BUT more importantly we need to find someone to play next to Letang on our first pairing...which this coming season is going to be the shutdown pairing, the top offensive pairing, the top minutes pairing...everything.

If Paul Martin plays there, we're *&^%$#. If we can't get a Weber or a solid stay-at-home type to play with Letang, we might as well have open competition in training camp to see who fits best next to Letang...Despres, Strait, Dumoulin et al.

We can't panic right now. Panic is how you wind up with Wade Redden's contract. We need to focus on those players who can really help us...or retreat a little and see what we have in all of these young defensemen in the organization.

The winger for Line 1 is another matter, since we don't exactly have young organizational types oozing everywhere. We have a few, but I doubt a guy like Bennett would be ready for something like that. So, we're going to have to try another reclamation project in all likelihood.

I think it's time to ease the expectation level for 2012-13 a little.
If Martin plays like he did his first year here, I think we'd be fine. Not great, but we would have an above average defense. The key is playing smarter and simpler defense.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
AgentM

Quote:

Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Tangradi-Vitale-Glass

Oh hai guy, nice try but don't forget me in your lineup cause you know Disco won't!

Old
07-08-2012, 10:49 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but ET isn't the answer. I know he hasn't been put into the best positions to succeed thus far, but the kid has one goal and five points in forty games. Do I think he's better than that? Certainly, but I don't think this year is the year to just let him sink or swim in the top six. He's a much better fit to sneak into that third line if we're serious about giving the kid a legit shot.

It'll allow him to become the best player on that line, which will be good for his confidence. Throwing him out there with Sid or Geno and having him screw up a lot of plays isn't going to be good for his confidence.

So, we might not need Malone, but we need an established player like that if we want our top six to dominate, assuming we sign Semin. Getting someone to battle in the corners/in front of the net does wonders for Sid and Geno, not to mention how much it'll help that other "sniper" winger. Malone is rumored to be on the block, has a history here, and he had chemistry here... it makes to much sense to bring him back if we have the chance, too.

EDIT: And by dominate, I mean in the playoffs. I have no doubts our top six will be one of the highest scoring teams in the league, even with our current roster, but as we've seen the past few years, we get locked down in the playoffs. Give us that perfect balance of a skilled bruiser-god-sniper on both lines and we'll be solid.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
If we get Semin, there is no way he plays on the same line as Neal. Semin with Geno and Neal would be a huge waste. Not happening. One of them will be with Sid, the other with Geno. My guess is that would change a few times throughout the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post

Wait, are you saying that if we sign Semin that we should give him to Malkin and Neal to be the 3rd wheel? There is no way Bylsma could shaft Sid like that. If the Russian factor clouds Bylsma's judgement that much then give Kunitz and Semin to Geno and give Neal and Dupuis to Sid. Not that it really matters though because the lines will change a lot during the season, regardless of who we have on the roster. The only way that Geno and Neal were 100% going to stay together all season was if Parise had come here to play with Sid IMO.
You're putting Semin in the spot to fully get his potential out of him with Malkin and Neal. Now what happens if you put Semin with Crosby and Dupuis and he is in a Semin slacker mode being the number two on the line. it won't bode well if you're icing two 3rd wheels.

Some seem to forget the Caps line of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin line was pretty deadly and I would consider Semin, Malkin, Neal its equal or better than it. For one, it takes all the pressure off the Crosby line and should make teams focus a good amount of their match ups against the Malkin line. Sid is Sid and he'll do just fine either way.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:53 AM
AgentM

Quote:
If Martin plays like he did his first year here, I think we'd be fine. Not great, but we would have an above average defense. The key is playing smarter and simpler defense.
I agree. Take away the green light from Martin in the offensive zone and I think he'd be fine with Letang.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Jacob

Quote:
They could use TK to replace Bergenheim. Granted, SB is better than TK, but Shero could convince them. Add a prospect and we might be able to have a starting ground.
No he's not.

Quote:
You're putting Semin in the spot to fully get his potential out of him with Malkin and Neal. Now what happens if you put Semin with Crosby and Dupuis and he is in a Semin slacker mode being the number two on the line. it won't bode well if you're icing two 3rd wheels.

Some seem to forget the Caps line of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin line was pretty deadly and I would consider Semin, Malkin, Neal its equal or better than it. For one, it takes all the pressure off the Crosby line and should make teams focus a good amount of their match ups against the Malkin line. Sid is Sid and he'll do just fine either way.
Oh, so we're gonna start following the Caps' lead now? I don't think so. Neal is Malkin's shooter, Semin would be Crosby's. It's an easy decision.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Oh hai guy, nice try but don't forget me in your lineup cause you know Disco won't!

I am hoping Shero gets rid of him before Disco has a choice in the matter

Old
tiggs
Rookie User

TK does not get enough credit must I remind everyone if he plays 82 games he scores around 20 and helps twenty more, not to mention his work ethic catches like a wild fire.,

Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I agree. Take away the green light from Martin in the offensive zone and I think he'd be fine with Letang.
That's the thing with, Martin. He was their second real threat offensively on the blue-line. He should never be considered for offense and you take what you get from his great defensive game.

Old
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think we can win with rookies. I think the rookies we have fighting for the spot are better hockey players than the veterans who are available. I 100% believe that Simon Despres makes us more of a contender than Mark Eaton. Being younger doesn't take away from the fact that he's just a better hockey player.

Thank you, O. Eaton is a terrible idea. He's an injury prone, bottom pairing Dman who brings as much physicality to the team as Martin.

And to Ugene Melkin: As for Strait & Bortuzzo: these guys are not rookies in the conventional sense. They are 24/23 years old and have played a full 3 seasons in the AHL, excelling in that league and in the Pens' system, while also getting cups of coffee with the big club -- Strait doing so even in playoff games. These prospects are "overripe" and ready to play.

Don't believe me? Well, believe Shero then when he says that in Strait & Bortuzzo "we have to NHL defensemen playing in the AHL" and deserve their shot. Deal with it.

Closed Thread