HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

When will the Islanders win a playoff round?

View Poll Results: What is the next year that the Islanders win a playoff series?
2013 8 13.56%
2014 19 32.20%
2015 13 22.03%
2016 8 13.56%
2017 3 5.08%
beyond 2017 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2012, 01:40 AM
NYI91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
No way the Isles make the playoffs, and here's why:

-They didn't improve in the offseason. No having youngsters with another year under their belt is NOT an improvement-youngsters on every team has this luxury.

Let's look at our competition:

Penguins: no way we pass them
Flyers: see above
Rangers: see above
Bruins: see above
Capitals: see above
Panthers: see above

This leaves us with just 2 spots we can grab (and that's being VERY generous). So:

Devils: Sorry but losing Parise doesn't drop a team from a game-6 in the Cup finals to finishing behind the 14th place team in the conference. Devils are a much deeper team than the Isles. Very unlikely Isles finish better.

Canes: The Canes improved their team in the offseson (and they were already clearly better than the Isles).

Sabres: Better than the Islanders last year. If they take a step back we MIGHT be able to pass them. Proof you need? Boyes was on their 4th line, he'll be on our 2nd at the lowest.

Toronto: We might pass!

Montreal: We might pass, but they could easily finish above us-Price is good enough to steal enough games.

Senators: Better than us, I think we gain ground but don't pass.

Tampa: Better than us, and after a decent offseason is still better than us. Unlikely we pass them.

Winnipeg: On paper I think the Isles are better-but the Jets had a pretty good season last year and could easily build upon it.

Now do I think we could finish above some of the above teams? Sure. Do I think we could finish above SEVEN of them? Absolutely not. What 7 teams do you think the Isles are better then?
I think the 2 bolded aren't solidified for the playoffs.

The other 4 I don't see us passing at all.

NYI91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:58 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI91 View Post
I think the 2 bolded aren't solidified for the playoffs.

The other 4 I don't see us passing at all.
I see your point, but I think one of them is solidified for the playoffs...because a team for their division will be a top-3 seeded team.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote